Buying piano under $2000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Buying piano under $2000

My 6 year old daughter just began her piano lesson recently, now we are shopping for a piano with $2000 budget. I have no idea what to look for, which brand and models are in this price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Any thoughts on digital pianos for beginners?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Here's a quick thought: A friend of mine was a Juilliard grad, and though the piano wasn't his instrument of terror, he wanted his kids to learn. He spent one weekend roaming around, in response to craigslist ads. He found a great piano, somewhere around that price point.

In other words, if you have a friend who is a musician, see if you can bribe him into a weekend adventure. Dinner and drinks on you, of course.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/zip/d/free-piano/6243885101.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/zip?sort=date&query=piano

Uhaul trailer with safe move is only about $20 for the day or maybe home depot has something you trust more
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I have heard it's a good idea to have a piano tuner check out any used piano. Apparently many used pianos have wood rot or worms in the interior that make it untunable.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Any thoughts on digital pianos for beginners?

You can get an excellent digital piano for under $2000. We bought a very nice Kawaii cn23 digital piano a few years ago for our kids that has been great. Very small footprint. I don't think they make it anymore, but maybe you can pick one up used. The replacement model is Kawai Cn27, and I'm pretty sure you can find under $2000.

Great site for reviews of digital pianos:
https://azpianonews.blogspot.com/
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

We bought out six year old daughter a piano..

She is now 17 and it has not been played for a few years,

We paid about $2100

I would sell it to you for $1500,

I'm near the 22, 405 and 605..

lemme know if you are interested...

cheers
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

When my niece was learning, my sister rented a piano first just to see if she even liked it. It was pretty cheap if I recall. Like $30 a month or around there. And then she bought a digital after that. Just an option.

When I bought my baby grand back in the day, I had my teacher go out to look at them with me, as AP suggested.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Hey I've been playing piano for maybe 15 years. A couple of notes:

Firstly, it's worthwhile to emphasize getting a worse-quality piano is just suboptimal. For a six year old, it'd work fine to learn on... it just leaves open the possibility that your daughter outgrows your piano.

The piano you buy, therefore, should depend on your goals. How confident are you that your daughter will stick to it? For example, my parents knew I would stick with it, because they forced me (in retrospect, I'm very glad for that). If there's the chance your daughter won't stick to it, then a cheap piano isn't the worst thing in the world (or renting a piano).

In my opinion, you won't find a good quality acoustic for under $2000, unless you get lucky. If you are open to digital pianos, then that's far better, in my opinion. Nothing beats a good acoustic piano... but a decent digital does beat a cheap upright.

If you do choose a digital piano, this guide is probably more informative than what I can tell you: https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/wiki/faq#wiki_choosing_a_keyboard
When I was in college, I played the Yamaha P115 (despite being a very experienced pianist), which cost about $600, and I didn't have any problems. So I can attest that even the cheapest of these pianos are decent.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

You can definitely get an upright in that range.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

I'm a trained pianist, former piano teacher, and have been playing keyboards in bands for over 40 years. There was a time when I would have shuddered at recommending a digital over an acoustic piano for a student, but times have changed. These days a digital piano with real mechanical action is definitely worth considering for a few reasons. 1. The technology has advanced to the point that the difference gap in sound and playability has closed considerably. 2. They don't need tuning. 3. They're portable. 4. For a child learning they can be a lot more fun and hold the student's interest.

I'd consider something like this. Casio has made remarkable strides with their keyboards and can give you the most bang for your buck. Personally I like them better than Yamaha digitals. (I also recommend Sweetwater if you're shopping for online music equipment. They're the best.)

However, if you feel an acoustic piano is the way to go, I'd start with looking for a used Yamaha upright. Hope that helps.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Not a good one. An upright for under $2000? A 6 y/o won't be able to tell the difference, but if she sticks with the piano by age 13 she'll start to feel the limitations. I know because I had a $2600 (new) piano growing up and frankly the $600 digital piano (P-115) I bought for college vastly outclassed it. Unless you find a staggeringly good deal for a used piano, $2000 won't get you a good acoustic instrument.

The only reasoning to get an upright over a digital piano in that price range is because the acoustic will look better as furniture for your home. That's seriously it.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't bother with those free pianos.. unless you want to invest some money in them.. also need to get it back to your place..

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/d/yamaha-clavinova-cvp-35/6250677872.html

I'd do something like this.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Not a good one. An upright for under $2000? A 6 y/o won't be able to tell the difference, but if she sticks with the piano by age 13 she'll start to feel the limitations. I know because I had a $2600 (new) piano growing up and frankly the $600 digital piano (P-115) I bought for college vastly outclassed it. Unless you find a staggeringly good deal for a used piano, $2000 won't get you a good acoustic instrument.

The only reasoning to get an upright over a digital piano in that price range is because the acoustic will look better as furniture for your home. That's seriously it.

I agree with this. When I moved out of the 'rents house for college, I picked up a digital piano as well. Don't sleep on digital pianos...some of them are fantastic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: