GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

PG.Lonzo
SG.KCP
SF.ingram
PF.Deng
C.Randke

Lets see it
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

This probably carryover from the pec injury, and he just wasn't ready to play. I imagine most 40 year old men aren't ready for competitive sports 3 months after that kind of injury. He looked like a 40 year old man out there last year.

Deng has been a colossal waste and abject failure so far. If nothing changes, he is getting stretched and his stint as a Laker will be seen as a stain on his career.

Assuming he can get healthy and play once more at a professional level, I would think he will do better because 1. Our roster is better balanced this year with an upgrade at PG and C, Pope is probably a better SG than Nick Young, and BI and Randle will also likely be improved. Better team likely equals better results for Deng. 2. He felt slighted with being benched and his perceived poor play, fans like me, basically heckling him and challenging him to prove he is worth a shadow of that $18 million a year salary. Deng strikes me as one of those guys who plays better angry, with a chip on his shoulder, taunt him, and make him prove it to us and himself that he is better than what we saw in 2016.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Even Mitch is hoping the Lakers can dump Deng, that way he can stop being blamed for such a horrible signing..

Do you think Mitch has "retired" like Byron did?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I actually would have liked to see Deng take part in the World games, it would help him gain confidence, right now I'd imagine his game mentality is lacking so it sucks that he can't play in the Africa vs World games.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
Seriously? Injured?

This bleeping contract needs to go away soon

I actually tuned in to see if his corpse could still make a shot. Apparently not.

Same.

He seems like a good guy and a professional, but the guy is cooked! He is just a reminder of the old inept regime. Randle, Clarkson, Nance... Pick any three or two and someone please take him. I want a clean slate
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

So let's talk about some of the great things Luol Deng has done, in helping with that NBA AFRICA game and it happening or happened.

Dirk Nowitzki interrupts Luol Deng's interview

Sun Sentinel ‏Verified account @SunSentinel
Erik Spoelstra says inspiration from Luol Deng led him to Africa Game
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-erik-spoelstra-africa-s20170803-story.html

The road to Africa for Erik Spoelstra began in the Miami Heat locker room.

It was there, in 2015, shortly after the league's first Africa Game, that the Heat coach spoke to forward Luol Deng and assistant coach David Fizdale about participating in that Basketball Without Borders outreach.

The feedback from Deng, who is from what now is South Sudan, was so inspiring that even with Deng having since moved on to the Los Angeles Lakers and Fizdale since becoming coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, Spoelstra made it a point of being part of this year's event.

That has had Spoelstra reflecting from Johannesburg, South Africa, about the experience this week, even before Saturday's exhibition that will be televised by ESPN. Spoelstra spoke shortly after participating in a Habitat for Humanity event that had him working alongside NBA players, referees, coaches and executives.

"Part of the reason I went on this trip this year is from talking to Lu," Spoelstra said. "And Lu expressing his background and the experiences he had growing up was something that really impacted me and everybody on the team. And then when they had the game two years ago, I followed it closely, because of Lu. We talked about it. David Fizdale went on that trip.

"And then, what they talked about after that week, and how emotional it was and how grateful Lu was for having so many people participate in it, Lu was a big reason why I'm over here now helping, and it was great to catch up with him and get back out on the court together again, but doing it from a coaching and service standpoint."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-erik-spoelstra-africa-s20170803-story.html

Luol Deng ‏Verified account @LuolDeng9
Team Africa 🙌🏿🌍

#NBAAfricaGame
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGZ6eiGXcAAJLtA.jpg

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
So let's talk about some of the great things Luol Deng has done

Great idea, below is a list of all the great plays executed by Deng during his first season with the Lakers:
injured
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers’ Luol Deng tries to inspire as a teammate and philanthropist

The story is captivating for obvious reasons. After his father, Aldo Deng, served in the Sudanese parliament and as the nation’s Minister of Transportation, Luol Deng and his family fled the war-torn country to Egypt when he was 5. Deng feels “very blessed” that Great Britain later granted his family political asylum. At age 14, Deng moved to the U.S. to attend Blair Academy, where he said it took him two years to adjust to living without his family. Deng respectfully declined to reflect much on those times for reasons beyond having a foggy memory of fleeing Africa at a young age.

“I hate talking about where I came from,” Deng said. “I feel like it’s repetitive. I’ve been doing it my whole career.”

Deng prefers to focus on other things he’s done during his career, much of which has been influenced by his family.

He created the Luol Deng Foundation, which raises funds, runs clinics and helps built outdoor basketball courts in South Sudan, the U.K. and the U.S. Deng launched an academy in London for top prospects as well as women’s basketball players. He has partnered with the United Nations and non-governmental organizations (UNICEF, Save the Children, Nothing but Net) that help with assorted humanitarian efforts.

“I really just focus on making life better for those who are either finding it very difficult to change their life, or are going through a lot in terms of a situation they can’t control,” Deng said. “It’s about making people’s lives better. That’s all I really care about.”

Deng also cares about helping his teammates.

Minnesota Timberwolves coach Tom Thibodeau, who coached Deng in Chicago, praised him for mentoring All-Star forward Jimmy Butler during his rookie season (2011-12). Deng is averaging a career-low 6.7 points on 32.3 percent shooting as the Lakers’ starting small forward, but Walton and his staff rave about the influence he has on their young core.

“The young guys are so positive,” Deng said. “They want to win and learn. It makes it so much easier for us and motivates us. It’s harder when guys aren’t listening or they don’t want to win.”

A HELPING HAND

The Lakers appreciate having a veteran who can give their young players feedback beyond what the coaching staff provides. As Walton said, “The parents can tell you anything you want and they don’t listen. When your friends tell you to do something good or bad, you normally fall in line.”

The Lakers’ young players have responded positively. After one game, Deng encouraged third-year guard Jordan Clarkson to stay aggressive, regardless of his shooting numbers. After another game, Deng pulled second-year guard D’Angelo Russell to the side after he lamented a lack of foul calls. Since training camp, rookie forward Brandon Ingram has credited Deng for giving him daily advice on defensive rotations and using his versatility.

Deng’s teammates marvel at his preparation, which includes early shooting sessions and treatment on off-days. Deng spent recent offseasons keeping his conditioning sharp, something he credits for helping him land two NBA All-Star appearances and remaining among the standouts of a 2004 NBA draft class that includes Atlanta’s Dwight Howard and Golden State’s Andre Iguodala.

“That’s something I want to buy into and try to have a reputation for myself, just knowing it’s going to be a process,” Ingram said. “At the end of the day when you put the work in, it’s going to pay off.”

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

Deng’s ability to keep on-court developments in perspective can be traced to his philanthropy.

“If there was a way to quantify one’s ability to relate, I think Luol would be off the charts,” said Anteneh Addisu, a former Duke classmate and strategy officer for the Luol Deng Foundation. “It’s because of how diverse his journey has been.”

Deng plans to expand that journey by becoming active in Los Angeles with his philanthropy. He says it’s one of the most significant reasons why he signed with the Lakers in July. Deng’s L.A-based holding company, D3N9 has invested in JUST Water, which promotes the use of paper-based bottled water. His sports agency, Octagon, also has an L.A.-based office.

Deng has held off, so far, on brainstorming other initiatives so he could both prepare and focus on the 2016-17 season. Based on his track record, though, projects are on the horizon.

In Chicago, Deng hosted annual Thanksgiving dinners and toy drives for the community’s needy. In 2011, he paid for chartered buses that transported local South Sudanese who wanted to cast their votes for the country’s independence. Two years ago, his foundation built basketball courts in Juba, the capital of South Sudan, and in Kakuma, a refugee camp in Kenya. A year after meeting with President Obama to discuss the civil war in South Sudan, Deng hosted a peace event last summer in Omaha, Neb., where many South Sudanese refugees live.

“My foundation stuff always takes over,” Deng said. “Every city I go in, I always try to do as much as I can.”
http://www.ocregister.com/2016/11/20/lakers-luol-deng-tries-to-inspire-as-a-teammate-and-philanthropist/

Class act, and good on his influence on Ingram, as well as him helping mentor Ingram on defense, which has a lot to do with the progress he's shown defensively which for a player as young as he is, was a very good sign. Especially considering Ingram admitted that leaving college he didn't think he'd be much of a defender. Glad Deng was able to work with him on it, and that he's helping inspire his teammates by being a class act and with his actions off the court and how he goes about it.

People will tear their hair out over how much we're paying him like it's actively costing us max free agents. The fact of the matter is his contract's not standing in the way of us getting max free agents till the day a max free agent actually commits to being here. So till that day, his contract's not my concern and I'm not bashing him for it. Thus with that out of the way, I'm more concerned with the influence he has on our impressionable roster, and thus far, it's been fantastic. Ingram especially.

So good on him, keep being a class act and a great locker room presence. Hopefully he recovers fully from the surgery and is ready by the start of the season and is able to produce on the court next season as well.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Luol Deng‏Verified account @LuolDeng9 16h16 hours ago

I'm very thankful to have the chance to come back every summer with the NBA to grow the game in Africa! #NBAfricaGame #BWB #NBA #SouthAfrica

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Deng has a resurgent year with the Lakers, something like 13/6, and I think he can average those stats, heading into next year he probably knows what his role is and he's in a more winning envorinment then the team he played with last year, I think if we win games next year, Deng will contribute and be apart of the teams success, I don't think he's a guy who can play in a losing envorinment.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Hopefully Deng has a resurgent year with the Lakers, something like 13/6, and I think he can average those stats, heading into next year he probably knows what his role is and he's in a more winning envorinment then the team he played with last year, I think if we win games next year, Deng will contribute and be apart of the teams success, I don't think he's a guy who can play in a losing envorinment.

C'mon man, this makes no sense. Professional athletes, including Deng, are paid to produce regardless of wins and losses. If you can't handle both there is no way to reach this level.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think the minutes he spent under Thibodeau burned his legs out. That's why he excelled as a 4 in Miami, not 3.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

C'mon man, this makes no sense. Professional athletes, including Deng, are paid to produce regardless of wins and losses. If you can't handle both there is no way to reach this level.

I know, I just think Deng was in a bad situation last year, hopefully next year he can regain some of his level of play that he had with Miami, as long as he's here we have to expect the positive from our players.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

We have Randle/Nance/Kuzma at the 4 already according to this bogus depth chart. http://www.espn.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers

I'd swap Kuzma for Deng on that chart.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I know, I just think Deng was in a bad situation last year, hopefully next year he can regain some of his level of play that he had with Miami, as long as he's here we have to expect the positive from our players.

I like the positivity and all but Deng was actually in a good situation with an 18 million dollar contract. I wish I were in in that type of bad situation. It's on him to be prepared to play.
Clearly, as Kevin Hart would say; "no, he wasn't ready." Hopefully he has something left in his he tank and bounces back with a decent season.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I like the positivity and all but Deng was actually in a good situation with an 18 million dollar contract. I wish I were in in that type of bad situation. It's on him to be prepared to play.
Clearly, as Kevin Hart would say; "no, he wasn't ready." Hopefully he has something left in his he tank and bounces back with a decent season.

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

There is a place for Deng in the NBA. When not injured he plays good defense and can do enough on offense to earn minutes. He not only gives you an adult in the locker room, but an impressive human being. Putting that kind of person around teenage millionaires can be invaluable. The problem is obviously you have to value that correctly in how much of your cap you use.

If he were an expiring contract this season he would be a positive on the roster.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

^^

I think that is giving Deng way too much credit. Vet on a minimum deal, old guy like Metta, old player as assistant coach or organization guy, sure well worth the lower end of the NBA salary scale.

$18 frickin million and you can't beat out Randle, Nance, Robinson, Metta for minutes? You might lose minutes to Kuzma this year too. You do not average double figures in any significant NBA positive stat? C'mon man. Yeah great citizen of the world, blah blah blah but you sucked as a basketball player making $18 million last year.

The good stuff taking a roster space, I can deal with that for the NBA Monopoly money of a couple million a season. $18 million? I want at least a double-double every night. Just retire if you can't paly.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

he played fine on some crappy teams in Chicago and Miami that were way below .500
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
MJST wrote:
So let's talk about some of the great things Luol Deng has done

Great idea, below is a list of all the great plays executed by Deng during his first season with the Lakers:
injured

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

he played fine on some crappy teams in Chicago and Miami that were way below .500

Lakers were completely different.

He was playing out of position
Chicago and Miami were both in a much better situation
Deng was playing with a team in transition were it wasn't about wins and loses and he never experienced that as a player on any team,

This is why I think Deng should go back to Miami or Chicago those are the 2 teams that used his strength to his advantage and he also knows the overall culture of those teams.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Luol Deng‏Verified account @LuolDeng9 16h16 hours ago

I'm very thankful to have the chance to come back every summer with the NBA to grow the game in Africa! #NBAfricaGame #BWB #NBA #SouthAfrica

Deng couldn't even get off the bench during the NBA Africa Game. He couldn't even beat out Salah Mejri (who?!?!?) for playing time!

To see how far he's fallen off is mind blowing to think the contract Mitch/Jim gave him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Question:

If he seeks a medical retirement (due to geriatrics) does his salary come off of our cap space books?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Question:

If he seeks a medical retirement (due to geriatrics) does his salary come off of our cap space books?

Can they void his contract for fraud if they find he lied on his birth certificate? Let's just throw it all out there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 80 of 157
Jump to: