2017-18 NFL Thread - Eagles Defeat the Evil Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/05/adam-gase-jay-cutler-is-interested/

Quote:
Adam Gase: Jay Cutler is “interested”

With each passing news cycle, it’s feeling more and more likely that Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill won’t play this year. Although the Dolphins have been very tight lipped about Tannehill’s status, the Dolphins are now openly speaking about potential replacements who surely wouldn’t be added to the roster if Tannehill were expected back in a matter of weeks.

On Saturday, coach Adam Gase confirmed that the team has spoken to retired quarterback Jay Cutler, who played for Gase when he was the offensive coordinator two years ago in Chicago.

“One time,” Gase said regarding his own communications with Cutler. “All I asked him was if he was interested. That was it.”

So what did he say?

“He was interested,” Gase replied. “I think he’s just trying to figure out everything. You don’t expect this to happen. I don’t think he looked at our situation like, ‘Oh, this was going to happen.’ So it was a surprise and I think he has a lot of things to think through.”

Gase made it clear that the team will be adding a quarterback, but that who it will be will depend on whether Tannehill is or isn’t lost for the year.

Whatever they do, it makes sense to explore all options in order to get the best possible deal. Cutler will surely want at least as much as Mike Glennon got from the Bears ($16 million per year), maybe more. Perhaps Cutler will accept less if he thinks the Dolphins will sign someone else.

It also could be cheaper to trade for a quarterback. When the Vikings acquired Sam Bradford a year ago, they gave up significant draft capital but they spent only $7 million for the full season.

However it plays out, time is of the essence. And not because the new quarterback will have to learn Miami’s offense. Gase will have to adapt Miami’s offense to the new quarterback, and then teach it to the rest of the team.

That’s how Gase has done it in the past, from borrowing Navy and Air Force plays when Tim Tebow became the starter in Denver to adopting the Indianapolis offense when Gase became the offensive coordinator with Peyton Manning in 2013, to coming up with the right way to get the most out of Cutler in 2015 to coming up with the right way to get the most out of Tannehill in 2016.

Whoever the Dolphins settle on, Gase and the rest of the staff will then devise the best possible offense to suit whoever will be playing. That doesn’t mean it definitely will work. But that’s definitely the way it will happen.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Supposedly there was a pretty long line to get into Chargers training camp today. If the Chargers can get an enthusiastic fanbase to show up Rams should be watching over their back .

Chargers have more upside because they have a better QB so there's more hope.

I'm also sure Kobe's appearance helped too.

Chargers may be better than the Rams at this point but Rivers is too inconsistent to ever get them deep in the playoffs. Raiders and Chiefs own that division anyway. Best case they hover around 500 and end up in third place. That may only garner some fan support but only because the Rams are so bad.

Now changing their uniforms to the old school powder blues with the number on the side of the helmet may really help increase their fanbase
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

^^
The Chiefs would be a decidedly better team if Philip Rivers were their QB instead of Alex "Risk Averse" Smith. The Chargers have fielded really bad offensive lines recently, and it's hurt Rivers. Still, though, he's put up pretty good numbers.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Supposedly there was a pretty long line to get into Chargers training camp today. If the Chargers can get an enthusiastic fanbase to show up Rams should be watching over their back .

Chargers may be better than the Rams at this point but Rivers is too inconsistent to ever get them deep in the playoffs. Raiders and Chiefs own that division anyway. Best case they hover around 500 and end up in third place. That may only garner some fan support but only because the Rams are so bad.

Now changing their uniforms to the old school powder blues with the number on the side of the helmet may really help increase their fanbase

Rivers is only as inconsistent as the weapons he has at his disposal. Name any other top 10 QB who's dealt with as much coaching and personnel upheaval (either due to poor FO decisions or most likely injuries lately) as he has. And he's had some of the worst offensive line talent outside of probably Andrew Luck, who's also been inconsistent.

Having said that, until all the pieces around him come together and prove they can play a full season, I'd agree that the Chargers aren't going anywhere this season. Though they'll still be better than the Rams, if that's even worth anything.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject:

So happy for LT to be in the hall of fame. Unbelievable player and great person, my favourite player of all time.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^^
The Chiefs would be a decidedly better team if Philip Rivers were their QB instead of Alex "Risk Averse" Smith. The Chargers have fielded really bad offensive lines recently, and it's hurt Rivers. Still, though, he's put up pretty good numbers.

Have to admit I'm surprised the Broncos haven't tried to may a play for Rivers I mean they need a QB.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/06/49ers-to-unveil-their-own-version-of-hard-knocks/

Quote:
49ers to unveil their own version of Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks, the annual NFL-HBO partnership chronicling one team’s training camp, kicks off its new season on Tuesday night. But the Buccaneers aren’t the only team giving fans an inside look at their operation.

The 49ers have announced that they’re unveiling their own show, entitled, Brick by Brick: all Access with the San Francisco 49ers.

Few details are available about the new series, which will premiere on Thursday. But the trailer features new G.M. John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan offering their thoughts on how to build a franchise, and the show will surely feature a behind-the-scenes look at how Lynch and Shanahan are doing those jobs.

Lynch and Shanahan have already taken other steps to get the fans more involved, including moving fan seating at training camp closer to the action. That’s a good first step toward helping the 49ers grow more popular in the Bay Area, although a much bigger step would be winning more games.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
So happy for LT to be in the hall of fame. Unbelievable player and great person, my favourite player of all time.

John Clayton once said on ESPN that he wasn't sure LT was a Hall of Famer

Dude is 5th all time in yards from scrimmage, 5th all time in rushing yards, 3rd all time in TD's, holds the record for most TD's in a single season, and was the first back ever to rush for 1000 yards and have 100 receptions in a single season.

There's only 4-5 RB's that you can definitively say had a better career than LT. He's one of the all time greats, no doubt about that.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Rivers is only as inconsistent as the weapons he has at his disposal. Name any other top 10 QB who's dealt with as much coaching and personnel upheaval (either due to poor FO decisions or most likely injuries lately) as he has. And he's had some of the worst offensive line talent outside of probably Andrew Luck, who's also been inconsistent.

Having said that, until all the pieces around him come together and prove they can play a full season, I'd agree that the Chargers aren't going anywhere this season. Though they'll still be better than the Rams, if that's even worth anything.

Exactly. Rivers has seriously had some of the worst luck with top receivers and OL going down with injuries. There are games where he'll throw 300+ yards to 8 different receivers who I couldn't even name . And he's as durable at the QB position as you'll find. As a Chargers fan since '99, all I ask is a season with a normal amount of injuries. So tired of our top weapons going down every year.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

I credit Bo Jackson as the first football superstar I began watching. But when football left L.A. I lost interest in the game. When I moved to San Diego as an adult I started following the Chargers with minor interest, until they drafted LT. I credit LT with reviving that passion for football that I had as a kid watching Bo Jackson.

I only caught Kurt Warner's speech. Inspirational story. Going to go watch LT's.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I think the Chargers can surprise some people this year, there's actually a lot of a talent on that team. The front 7 is poised to be one of the better ones in the league, the secondary is solid with Verret and Hayward at corner (though they are very weak at S), and the offensive line should be at least marginally improved (Lamp's injury reaaaaalllly hurts). Rivers should have some weapons with Henry/Gates, healthy Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams, and Mike Williams (hopefully -- he says he can play), and Gordon is poised for another good year.

As always, everything is predicated on them being healthy, which never seems to happen for whatever reason. But if they can stay reasonably healthy, I can easily see a 10-6 team and a wild card contender. We shall see
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20267198/miami-dolphins-jay-cutler-finalizing-one-year-deal
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

I bet they waited till today to announce it because of Jason Taylor's HOF induction yesterday.

Speaking of Jason I bet his sister Joy(moderator of Undisputed) will have plenty to talk about with this signing her being a Miami sports fan and all.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

For (bleep)'s sake. Jay is not going to last mid-season.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

I get why Gase did it he worked with him recently and knows what Cutler is capable of.

Cutler had his best season with Gase.

I don't think they're going on a deep playoff run though.

Kaep was never going to be signed by the Dolphins not after he wore that Castro shirt.

People ignore that for some reason.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I get why Gase did it he worked with him recently and knows what Cutler is capable of.

Cutler had his best season with Gase.

I don't think they're going on a deep playoff run though.

Kaep was never going to be signed by the Dolphins not after he wore that Castro shirt.

People ignore that for some reason.

I still think Moore will end up the starting QB by season's end either by Cutler injury or performance. Cutler was on my wish-list in the 2006 draft (under Antonio Cromartie, Jonathan Joseph). There was no way Krap was ever going to be a Dolphin. You risk alienating half their fanbase by signing him. Plus, he's a running QB and he likely wouldn't have lasted much long before he gets injured again.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

I think the only reason that Cutler was signed is because I think Tannehill's injury is worse than reported or about to be.

He's an insurance policy.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I think the only reason that Cutler was signed is because I think Tannehill's injury is worse than reported or about to be.

He's an insurance policy.

It is obvious it is a serious injury but Dolphins are trying to downplay it hardcore.

Cutler didn't give up a network TV gig to be the backup, you can assume he is starting there at least to open the season and until/when he gets hurt.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-dolphins-considered-tim-tebow-signing-jay-cutler/

Quote:
Report: Dolphins considered Tim Tebow before signing Jay Cutler

Former Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler is unretiring to join the Miami Dolphins.

Earlier Sunday, Cutler signed a one-year $10 million deal following the injury to QB Ryan Tannehill.

But according to the Miami Herald’s Armando Salguero, Tim Tebow, you know the baseball star, was among those considered by the Dolphins. Along with Tebow, Colin Kaepernick and Kyle Orton were also considered.

Tebow played under Miami head coach Adam Gase in Denver when Gase was the QBs coach in 2011. With Tebow at QB, the Broncos won the AFC West and beat the Steelers in a playoff game that year.

Follow
Armando Salguero ✔ @ArmandoSalguero
Among QB names Dolphins considered before discarding for multiple reasons in favor of Cutler: Kaepernick, Tebow, Orton.
5:13 PM - Aug 6, 2017
60 60 Replies 117 117 Retweets 157 157 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Can you imagine social media’s reaction to Tebow retiring from baseball to jump back into football?

And speaking of Tebow, he’s hitting .262 with five home runs and 23 RBIs with the St. Lucie Mets.

Sorry NFL, but Tim Tebow is a baseball star now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Not surprised Tebow didn't go back to football. He's been playing minor league baseball for almost 2 seasons and he's going to drop it all for a year in the NFL? That would show that baseball isn't a priority right now and would send a message about how seriously he takes his baseball career.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I find it amusing the order this is going in Cutler, Orton, Tebow... reminds me of the Broncos a few years back.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/10/key-peele-paid-von-millers-three-pump-fine/

Quote:
Key & Peele paid Von Miller’s three-pump fine

NFL players must pay their own fines. But that doesn’t stop people from giving them money separately.

When Broncos linebacker Von Miller drew a fine in 2015 for post-sack pelvic thrusting, comedians Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele made an equivalent contribution to Miller’s foundation.

Key explained that the payment was made during a Thursday in-studio appearance on the Dan Patrick Show, out of respect for the homage to their popular Hingle McCringleberry “three pumps” sketch.

The precise amount of the fine was $11,567, and it’s possible that Key & Peele will be removing more bills from their bankroll to make similar contributions in the future. Despite the relaxation of the celebration rules, pelvic thrust remain prohibited.

Key, by the way, was promoting his new Netflix series Friends from College. Which I personally recommend, along with Last Chance U. Which I now recommend even more strongly because Stats now hates it without ever having even watched it, because he’s afraid to admit that it may be better than Hard Knocks.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Crap, was hoping 2nd rounder Raekwon McMillan could take over as a starter at LB. Torn ACL first preseason game.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Zeke suspended 6 games, and will appeal. Should make Fantasy drafts a lot more interesting
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Zeke suspended 6 games, and will appeal. Should make Fantasy drafts a lot more interesting

I hope Goodell gets slapped. The authorities found no evidence and cleared Zeke. I guess Roger wants to give the appearance the NFL won't tolerate abuse. Elliott plans to appeal. I hope he wins.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 20 of 115
Jump to: