Byron Scott says he has retired from coaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

What a coincidence, I just retired from being the Pope.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Byron retired from coaching like Magic retired from hosting late night talk shows.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

I've retired from seeking the office of the president of the United States

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.

That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.

Byron was actually on that roster as a player

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.

haha I know he was in that game... but I don't remember him in that game lol

His last game ever was the single win LA got vs Utah in 97 and 98. Most people remember those series as both sweeps. He had a good performance to boot. Fell on his wrist and that was the end.

And as bad as his coaching daze went with us, he didn't have Lonzo Ball or this FO. He had a guy in Zo's place who time will prove wasn't mature enough to have as much responsibility and expectations as he did here. That was a recipe for failure even for Walton whom we don't complain about. Oddly enough, it was the opposite for Luke. Much of the reactionary, youngns at LG called him Puke as a player and now they like him. Reverse for Byron. I feel bad for By. Wish he never got the gig in hindsight.

Byron was terrible in his first year, without DLo. He should never have returned for his 2nd season. And if he banked his success on the maturity of a 19 year-old, well, that's the problem right there.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

When no one wants to hire me...

I'll retire too...!
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Today, unwanted by NBA teams, Byron Scott survives as beacon of misfortune. If you have a lottery problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire the Tank Commander.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.

That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.

Oh boo hoo. Whether you saw him or not you're old enough to understand his impact and import to the franchise as a player.

Or just keep beating a dead horse, whatever floats your boat.

Should you really be the one saying boo hoo following that plea to leave him alone. He's a terrible coach and some fans will only remember him as such. You need to let it go.

Aw, dog! ::IRONY EXPLOSION::

Maybe don't tell me to "let it go" if you're still into complaining about a guy that doesn't work here anymore.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

This thread needs more retiring. I retire from attempting to be CEO of Amazon

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I retire from fixing my sprinkler system. If the grass don't grow I don't have to mow it.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Well that's a real surprise😁
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Byron was a great player and for that, I will not speak negatively about the man. I just remember as a toddler watching him battle it out with with other shooting guards and shutting them down. I remember the great battles he had with Ainge and Dennis Johnson of the Celts. Byron was relentless. I think he coached the way he played.....Tough! Plain and simple. Like him or not, he had a coaching philosophy that is consistent of him as a player. Unfortunately it didn't mesh well with todays players. He was coaching in the wrong era.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Raijin wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Oh boo hoo. Whether you saw him or not you're old enough to understand his impact and import to the franchise as a player.

Or just keep beating a dead horse, whatever floats your boat.

Should you really be the one saying boo hoo following that plea to leave him alone. He's a terrible coach and some fans will only remember him as such. You need to let it go.

Aw, dog! ::IRONY EXPLOSION::

Maybe don't tell me to "let it go" if you're still into complaining about a guy that doesn't work here anymore.

What made Byron such a terrible coach is that he insisted on "tough love" which means that you don't compliment your players or support them, especially when they screw up - you hit them over the head so they remember not to screw up again. This method of coaching didn't work 40 years ago much less today. I guarantee that Pat Riley was never that mean and disrespectful, and that's where Scott should have learned his chops.

Calling out rookies and guys to the press with a year of experience must be the absolute worst thing a coach can do - unless he wants to be fired and wants the team to play poorly. So either hes a genius or the worst coach since Magic Johnson. Me, I will just remember him as a the as the genius he was and leave it at that.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
Byron was a great player and for that, I will not speak negatively about the man. I just remember as a toddler watching him battle it out with with other shooting guards and shutting them down. I remember the great battles he had with Ainge and Dennis Johnson of the Celts. Byron was relentless. I think he coached the way he played.....Tough! Plain and simple. Like him or not, he had a coaching philosophy that is consistent of him as a player. Unfortunately it didn't mesh well with todays players. He was coaching in the wrong era.

He got all the support that an interim coach gets. He wasn't Pat Riley, but I don't think Riles himself could've whipped those teams into the kind of no-nonsense collectives he had yesteryear. I agree that Scott's demands and style were no longer doable in 2015/2016. An indictment on the average youngster of today afaic, but nonetheless, true. Plus, the Busses giving Kobe 20 for a final year long glory tour instantly turned that season into nothing more than a stunt. We're belaboring Scott's coaching while pretending that a cohesive team was gonna come out of THAT scenario. Please. Kobe had more clout than Scott did. Too much was put onto Byron's coaching skill and too little on the dreck he was given to coach. Even the lottery picks were mediocre. I could much better get with the furor over his ineptitude if he instead screwed up a situation like Minny's. They got KAT, we decidedly missed out on him. He also had more of the steady stream of 1-2 yr rentals that Brown and Dan Tony had plus TWO Swaggies to deal with. D'Lo was arguably more swaggy than Swaggy.

Destined to fail from get-go...

Scott being a bad X/Os guy and a meanie is only part of it. Better coaches than him would've failed here under the ass backward FO we had. D'Antoni left a similar situation in LA and started winning again soon as he hit the tarmac at George Bush International in Houston.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:

He got all the support that an interim coach gets. He wasn't Pat Riley, but I don't think Riles himself could've whipped those teams into the kind of no-nonsense collectives he had yesteryear. I agree that Scott's demands and style were no longer doable in 2015/2016. An indictment on the average youngster of today afaic, but nonetheless, true. Plus, the Busses giving Kobe 20 for a final year long glory tour instantly turned that season into nothing more than a stunt. We're belaboring Scott's coaching while pretending that a cohesive team was gonna come out of THAT scenario. Please. Kobe had more clout than Scott did. Too much was put onto Byron's coaching skill and too little on the dreck he was given to coach. Even the lottery picks were mediocre. I could much better get with the furor over his ineptitude if he instead screwed up a situation like Minny's. They got KAT, we decidedly missed out on him. He also had more of the steady stream of 1-2 yr rentals that Brown and Dan Tony had plus TWO Swaggies to deal with. D'Lo was arguably more swaggy than Swaggy.

Destined to fail from get-go...

Scott being a bad X/Os guy and a meanie is only part of it. Better coaches than him would've failed here under the ass backward FO we had. D'Antoni left a similar situation in LA and started winning again soon as he hit the tarmac at George Bush International in Houston.

Damn, you've sucked me into it again. Their leading shot taker didn't even practice with the team, and they basically had no idea from night to night if he was going to play. But let's harp on the X's and O's, and how he hated threes (maybe he meant Kobe taking them?) Gawd, what a (bleep) show.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

The stuff that came out about russell after the trade definitely made me look at byron in a slightly brighter light.

I still don't think he's a good coach for today's nba but at least he made his players professionals
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject:

He is retiring. What a though decision...
loosinsux
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject:

Are we better off today? Is Luke a good coach?

Coaching doesn't matter in the NBA. It's all about the players. Just ask Tyronne Lue and Erik Spoelstra.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

And as bad as his coaching daze went with us, he didn't have Lonzo Ball or this FO. He had a guy in Zo's place who time will prove wasn't mature enough to have as much responsibility and expectations as he did here. That was a recipe for failure even for Walton whom we don't complain about. Oddly enough, it was the opposite for Luke. Much of the reactionary, youngns at LG called him Puke as a player and now they like him. Reverse for Byron. I feel bad for By. Wish he never got the gig in hindsight.

I respect that take, and if Byron hadn't been such a huge media critic who then jumped in as a coach and looked as bad as any coach I've ever seen, having neither a grasp of personnel nor x and o stuff, I'd share it too. And I'd be more sanguine if he wasn't still in magic's ear.

I'm just sayin as a Laker at heart, it sucks that Byron got burnt by association even with the best of intentions of bringing us back from the grave. The Boozer/Lin/Hill selfie daze.

http://tinyurl.com/y78b3y5s

Byron was probably the most internally "Laker" of all the Showtime guys. Inglewood local, snuck into Forum in 70s, wound up playing for 3 title teams in the 80s, came back in 94 with Indy and was presented a framed jersey where he told the crowd and media he still bled P/G, maintained that line for the rest of his career, came back in 97 to play his final game in the uniform, never lost his respect for the franchise. That's the kind of guy who ultimately got sh on by his former fanbase for being a bad coach. A hanging offense back here. I know the non-Showtime era guys don't care, but I guess I'm lucky that I don't have to hate Byron Scott to my dying breath because he failed at coaching.

As far as him having Earvin's ear, they're like brothers. You watch that scene where Magic overtook Oscar's assist total and Byron sought him out from the bench to hug him twice and they looked like brother hugs. I love you, man! hugs. The kind of hugs most LG posters want to give YOU, Omar. D'Lo couldn't have seen that coming, but the Showtime clan are as tight as they've ever been. They still share each other's general POVs about the league and how it was in their day and how it should be now. I'm convinced Byron also had James Worthy's ear the way he reacted to "You seem up". And probably Mychal T's. Fate is weird sometimes. Russ couldn't have known. The "leader" angle sounds so much like Scott speaking thru Earvin's brain.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 am; edited 2 times in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

Byron was hired specifically to accomodate Kobe's farewell tour, making sure he gets in & out of the game as he wants and gets to shoot freely... This is how masterful Lakers was at tanking. We never 'tank', we were doing KFT, tickets sold. Byron did what he was hired to do, #7-#2-#2
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Byron was hired specifically to accomodate Kobe's farewell tour, making sure he gets in & out of the game as he wants and gets to shoot freely... This is how masterful Lakers was at tanking. We never 'tank', we were doing KFT, tickets sold. Byron did what he was hired to do, #7-#2-#2

It was a lot easier for Pat to do one of those in 89. It seemed so easy back then. Cap gets his little pre-game gifts and speaks about whatever town he's in. At Indy he didn't play and the emcee got Magic to throw a pass to him for a skyhook in dress shoes and he MADE IT! It all worked out so well. Whitney sang at his appearance in Jersey. I guess when you got the league's MVP on the team, things do work out...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

I am officially retired from the NBA. It seems the General Managers have failed to see my obvious talent in the videos I have sent over the last 30 years.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.

Some of them are good. For instance, I like Chauncey Billups and even Wheelchair PP hasn't been too bad surprisingly.

But some of the guys are awful, CWebb blows as a game commentator for instance.

That said, personally I prefer insight from guys that actually played the game, particularly hyper-critical insight. It is hard for me to take midgets like Screaming A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Peter Vescey, etc. seriously when they are writing guys off after one bad playoff game or something.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

I imagine Warren LeGarie could turn Byron's career around and get him back into coaching, but it'd probably take a boot camp getting him to drop his obsolete stuff and getting him to embrace the new stuff, and a gig as an assistant somewhere. But he's not Warren LeGarie's client.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I imagine Warren LeGarie could turn Byron's career around and get him back into coaching, but it'd probably take a boot camp getting him to drop his obsolete stuff and getting him to embrace the new stuff, and a gig as an assistant somewhere. But he's not Warren LeGarie's client.

It'd never happen LC. Byron's too stubborn lol. He'd prob tell LeGarie that's why you not coaching when he suggests Byron learn new techniques
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: