How Lakers Can Sign Two Max-Contract Superstars in 2018 NBA Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

I think the best bet this year to play Clarkson in a mostly 3 guard rotation. Get him PT and good stats (hopefully), which will raise his value around the league and make his contract more easily moveable. (And you never know, if JC kills it in that 3rd guard role, perhaps we consider keeping him, though I believe it's highly likely we move him).

Deng of course will be tougher to move, but the Carroll trade is hopefully a benchmark. He was moved for a first and a second with 2 years left on his deal. By the end of this season, Deng will have 2 years left, and hopefully we can move him in a Carroll type dump. I think you want him on the team this year and getting some PT. Much better to move him than to stretch him, though stretching could be a last case scenario.

Obviously, if a potential deal for either comes up during the season, you jump on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if we move both after the season to open up the cap space.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if the Lakers would consider packaging Clarkson and Randle for say a first round pick or an expiring contract. Then either use the first round pick and either Nance or Zubac as a sweetener to get rid of Deng. Failing that, just stretching Deng.

That way, we have the room for 2 max players, and could choose to bring back either Lopez or KCP.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I wonder if the Lakers would consider packaging Clarkson and Randle for say a first round pick or an expiring contract. Then either use the first round pick and either Nance or Zubac as a sweetener to get rid of Deng. Failing that, just stretching Deng.

That way, we have the room for 2 max players, and could choose to bring back either Lopez or KCP.

That is actually a interesting thought, but I think that sort of deal won't happen until the team knows what it has..
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
If Magic/Pelinka can pull off

Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
PG13/Ingram
SG/J.Hart
Ball/Ennis

Using Clarkson+Future draft picks+1 of Kuz/Nance and 1 of T.Bryant/Zu to dump Deng and resigning Lopez to the room exception

Why the heck wouldn't you start PG13 at the 2 and BI at the 3? Both guys are versatile enough. And can you imagine the defensive length 1 through 3? With Ball and Bron, that's a hell of a lot of easy fast break points off turnovers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
PG13/Ingram
SG/J.Hart
Ball/Ennis

Using Clarkson+Future draft picks+1 of Kuz/Nance and 1 of T.Bryant/Zu to dump Deng and resigning Lopez to the room exception

Why the heck wouldn't you start PG13 at the 2 and BI at the 3? Both guys are versatile enough. And can you imagine the defensive length 1 through 3? With Ball and Bron, that's a hell of a lot of easy fast break points off turnovers.

How do we keep Jules and Brook while signing pg13 and lbj? I can see 2 max level players and keeping Brook
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
PG13/Ingram
SG/J.Hart
Ball/Ennis

How do we keep Jules and Brook while signing pg13 and lbj? I can see 2 max level players and keeping Brook

I never implied we'd retain Julius if LBJ says he wanted to come here, so if LBJ does express that, my guess is Julius would be dealt immediately. And as emplay outlined on Page 2 of this thread, Lopez could be retained if he signs for the Room Exception once his contract expires after next season (~$4.3M) then re-signing at the max beginning the 2019 season using his Bird Rights on a wink wink kind of deal. That's how the Ball-George-Ingram-James-Lopez lineup can happen in 2018... also assuming they shed both Clarkson and Deng's contracts by next season's end.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

the best is to have Lebron + PG13 + KCP @ around 12.5m dollars by trading deng.

Lebron
Ingram
PG13
KCP
Lonzo

KCP can sign 1 +1 year deal and then get paid next summer.

how much is the real MLE? lopez with that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:

Lebron
Ingram
PG13
KCP
Lonzo

We would be a room exception team. So 4-4.5m ish.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

That is actually a interesting thought, but I think that sort of deal won't happen until the team knows what it has..
Trade Clarkson and Randle for a first round draft pick - trading known value for an unknown value in one draft choice that will take years to develop

Trade an unknown value with known value (Nance or Zubac) to trade Deng

Bottom Line
Trade three players to get rid of one bad contract
Ball/KCP/BI/Lopez/FA?
What will be the bench

Conclusion
Glad that the FO is seeking much more productive way of improving that does not include trading NBA traffic for nothing
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Lebron
Ingram
PG13
KCP
Lonzo

I believe the room exception is only for teams below the cap (which I doubt we will be in 2018).

Teams over the cap (if I'm not mistaken) either get the taxpayer MLE ($5.2M in 2017) or the non-taxpayer MLE ($8.4M in 2017).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Correct me if I'm wrong.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Lebron
Ingram
PG13
KCP
Lonzo

I believe the room exception is only for teams below the cap (which I doubt we will be in 2018).

Teams over the cap (if I'm not mistaken) either get the taxpayer MLE ($5.2M in 2017) or the non-taxpayer MLE ($8.4M in 2017).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

No. We would start the 2018 FA as an under the cap team.

In 2019, we would get the full MLE b/c we'd be an over the cap team then.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it matters where we are at the start of free agency. All that matters is the order in which the transactions are made. If we sign our max free agents first and then hit the cap, we could then use the non-taxpayer MLE ($8.4M) to sign another player.

Also, the room MLE only makes sense if we're less then $4.3M below the cap. If we actually have $4.3M (or more) in cap space (like we would at the start of free agency in 2018), then there's no need for a room MLE because we could just sign a player outright using $4.3M of cap space. If, on the other hand, a team only has $1M or $2M in cap space left then they could use the room MLE to legally exceed the cap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it matters where we are at the start of free agency. All that matters is the order in which the transactions are made. If we sign our max free agents first and then hit the cap, we could then use the non-taxpayer MLE ($8.4M) to sign another player.

Also, the room MLE only makes sense if we're less then $4.3M below the cap. If we actually have $4.3M (or more) in cap space (like we would at the start of free agency in 2018), then there's no need for a room MLE because we could just sign a player outright using $4.3M of cap space. If, on the other hand, a team only has $1M or $2M in cap space left then they could use the room MLE to legally exceed the cap.

You don't have the cap space to sign them unless you have...cap space.

If you want cap space, you have to renounce the full MLE.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't have the cap space to sign them unless you have...cap space.

If you want cap space, you have to renounce the full MLE.

You're right. I stand corrected.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah. If all things held, and say we were able to:

1. unload Deng (future 1st, 2nds), JC for $0 back.
2. LBJ/PG13 agree to max deals.
3. Brook agrees to a wink-wink room exception of $4m (to be paid more commensurately in 2019 when he can be re-signed over the cap)
4. Jules is re-signed.

We could then in 2019, have the full MLE (probably 9m+ then) to use on another rotation veteran.

I think this may be the best case outcome that the FO may be looking at.

KCP we don't have Bird rights to so it would be tougher for him to get paid what he thinks he's worth.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah. If all things held, and say we were able to:

1. unload Deng (future 1st, 2nds), JC for $0 back.
2. LBJ/PG13 agree to max deals.
3. Brook agrees to a wink-wink room exception of $4m (to be paid more commensurately in 2019 when he can be re-signed over the cap)
4. Jules is re-signed.

We could then in 2019, have the full MLE (probably 9m+ then) to use on another rotation veteran.

I think this may be the best case outcome that the FO may be looking at.

KCP we don't have Bird rights to so it would be tougher for him to get paid what he thinks he's worth.

Somehow I feel like if we're able to get LBJ, then Randle becomes overkill. I can see a scenario where if Jules performs to expectations (say 17ppg, 11rpg, 4apg) we may be able to package him in a trade to Brooklyn, bringing back Demarre Carolle (1 more year, expires 2019) and Trevor Booker (expires 2018).

That way, if we cannot move Carolle along with our 2020 1st round pick, then at worst, we waive him at a much lower rate than Deng (about 3mill over 5 years).
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

The more I look at it, I think long term try to get a future first and an expiring for Julius and a future second and expiring for Clarkson and keep Deng. They basically have to suffer through having him for one year with bronze and Pg and then he becomes a valuable expiring. You don't have to pay him for several more years this way too

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

Quick question.

Let say we are able to get rid of JC contract. Can we sign two max and then sign Randle and Lopez after we have sign the contracts so that we will be over the cap but still have all our players?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
Quick question.

Let say we are able to get rid of JC contract. Can we sign two max and then sign Randle and Lopez after we have sign the contracts so that we will be over the cap but still have all our players?

See my sig below.

Depends on which max players (LBJ/WB = 36m max, PG/Boogie = 31m max).
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

i hate the idea of stretching Deng where he stays on our books for even longer. Let it sit as is and fall off after the 2019 season.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers spend their money - and get over the cap after making their splash - the only thing Deng does stretched is potentially create a hard cap issue - but even that's iffy. It's not good but it may not be of major significance
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
If the Lakers spend their money - and get over the cap after making their splash - the only thing Deng does stretched is potentially create a hard cap issue - but even that's iffy. It's not good but it may not be of major significance

Right. We'll be over the cap.

Frankly, to prevent Stepien issues for trading future 1st rounders to fuel a possible contending run, I'd rather stretch Deng than give up 1 possibly 2 future 1sts.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
emplay wrote:
can't force moves when the time isn't righ

With Lonzo/KCP as the starting backcourt, i don't see how JC's value increases as the season goes along sans injuries.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject:

Knicks are trying to trade KP on draft day to Celtics 1st overall pick & looking to select Lonzo Ball.

It seems NYK really serious on trading KP. Can we trade for him w/o sending Lonzo & Ingram?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bishop* wrote:
Quick question.

See my sig below.

Depends on which max players (LBJ/WB = 36m max, PG/Boogie = 31m max).

This also assumes that all of them would not sign for less then max. Why?

From all the hypothetical comments it is a "done deal" that James is signing with the Lakers. (kids, house, business deals). So why wouldn't he sign for $30M to allow the Lakers to keep or sign players to offset the apparent plan to mentor the untouchable young players?

Same with any other free agents joining him. Not just the bench players chasing a ring at vet mins but why wouldn't George for instance leave several million on the table too?

Also to the trading of 1st round draft picks issue. If the two max plan actually happens... why do they need high 20s draft picks? They are in a full blown win now scenario. Free agents and cap space are the desired focus, not late 1st rounders for the next 3 years of the James years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: