Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 622, 623, 624 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
Magic said Clarkson's name,

He said he wants Clarkson to go for the 6th man of the year this season.

Rookie of the Year: Lonzo Ball
Most Improved Player: Brandon Ingram or Julius Randle
6th Man of the Year: Jordan Clarkson

Those are solid goals.

We all know why he wants Clarkson to go for that.

Luke probably wants him to as well, so that he doesn't have to play Lonzo 35 minutes as a rookie.

lakersboy wrote:
Jordan's success in practice make me sure I'm going to see a far better scorer than last season. Additionally, his dedication to working on being just as effective going to
his left, using the left side of the court, and working on his left hand, are going to give fans something to be excited about. Him, Julius, Ingram, Lonzo, KCP, Lopez, and the bench are being greatly overlooked imo.

I think Clarkson always had a left hand. Saw it plenty in his rookie season along with a consistent mid range game that was money whenever he was left open on the pick and roll.

I miss both of those aspects of his game. They are what made him an effective scorer. But since he bought into the "Westbrook 2.0" hype, instead of pulling up for mid, he tries to drive to the basket on 3 guys and finish over them.

I miss the JC that knew how to pick his spots and drive and when to shoot from mid, going for the efficient shot available to him at the time, instead of the JC that thinks he's Westbrook and will try to literally finish over everything and not see his teammates that are wide open. Maybe Blue and Hart can put some pressure on him.

Why do you have to mention this twice?

It's called a Comparative Analysis.

You see, comparative analysis thrives on needing to be distinguished from the juxtaposition of descriptions of a series of cases. While sequential presentations of descriptive data are undoubtedly informative about the cases concerned they are only comparative in the weak sense of making the reader aware of differences and similarities. Ergo, leaving the reader wanting more clarification.

Ergo, I broke down how JC played both before and after he bought into the Westbrook 2.0 hype and compared those two situations. The situations being, where I felt his strengths were before, and what he has put on the back burner since then.

Ergo, the following statement was me confirming my preference to the former JC rather than the latter. While the previous statement concordantly signified the details of why his playing style changed and what has suffered because of it, the secondary one was more about how I preferred the previous incarnation.

A similar kind of statement could be made to involve a much more standard vis a vis.. LeBron James.

"When LeBron James first came into the league, he played more like a point guard and would break down people off the dribble often from the top of the key and had a style very similar to Magic Johnson. I miss that aspect of his game, but on his third or fourth year he instead switched up his style to be a more strength and bully ball oriented style, which compensated for his lack of jumper.

Even still, I miss the LeBron that was breaking down people off the dribble and played more like a full time point guard, instead of the bully ball style that we're used to seeing him use now."

Now would you look at that statement and go "why did you mention bully ball twice?" not unless you didn't understand the structure of the statement.

Ergo, what I'm essentially trying to tell you is... freaking come off it.

Thank you
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

So will JC battle D'lo for 6th Man of the Year? Discuss.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Allen Crabbe's the next Jordan and Lin is as untouchable as Ingram, so we'll have to wait and see.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Those are solid goals.

Luke probably wants him to as well, so that he doesn't have to play Lonzo 35 minutes as a rookie.

lakersboy wrote:
Jordan's success in practice make me sure I'm going to see a far better scorer than last season. Additionally, his dedication to working on being just as effective going to
his left, using the left side of the court, and working on his left hand, are going to give fans something to be excited about. Him, Julius, Ingram, Lonzo, KCP, Lopez, and the bench are being greatly overlooked imo.

I think Clarkson always had a left hand. Saw it plenty in his rookie season along with a consistent mid range game that was money whenever he was left open on the pick and roll.

I miss both of those aspects of his game. They are what made him an effective scorer. But since he bought into the "Westbrook 2.0" hype, instead of pulling up for mid, he tries to drive to the basket on 3 guys and finish over them.

I miss the JC that knew how to pick his spots and drive and when to shoot from mid, going for the efficient shot available to him at the time, instead of the JC that thinks he's Westbrook and will try to literally finish over everything and not see his teammates that are wide open. Maybe Blue and Hart can put some pressure on him.

You see, comparative analysis thrives on needing to be distinguished from the juxtaposition of descriptions of a series of cases. While sequential presentations of descriptive data are undoubtedly informative about the cases concerned they are only comparative in the weak sense of making the reader aware of differences and similarities. Ergo, leaving the reader wanting more clarification.

Ergo, I broke down how JC played both before and after he bought into the Westbrook 2.0 hype and compared those two situations. The situations being, where I felt his strengths were before, and what he has put on the back burner since then.

Ergo, the following statement was me confirming my preference to the former JC rather than the latter. While the previous statement concordantly signified the details of why his playing style changed and what has suffered because of it, the secondary one was more about how I preferred the previous incarnation.

A similar kind of statement could be made to involve a much more standard vis a vis.. LeBron James.

"When LeBron James first came into the league, he played more like a point guard and would break down people off the dribble often from the top of the key and had a style very similar to Magic Johnson. I miss that aspect of his game, but on his third or fourth year he instead switched up his style to be a more strength and bully ball oriented style, which compensated for his lack of jumper.

Even still, I miss the LeBron that was breaking down people off the dribble and played more like a full time point guard, instead of the bully ball style that we're used to seeing him use now."

Now would you look at that statement and go "why did you mention bully ball twice?" not unless you didn't understand the structure of the statement.

Thank you

I don't know where you got the "JC bought into the Westbrook hype" from, oh, wait, you made that up. If anything us fans are the one who compares JC to Westbrook
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

DAR doesn't start next to Lin because?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Those are solid goals.

lakersboy wrote:

Thank you

I don't know where you got the "JC bought into the Westbrook hype" from, oh, wait, you made that up. If anything us fans are the one who compares JC to Westbrook

Actually recently retired all star coach and point guard whisperer Byron Scott started it.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Those are solid goals.

lakersboy wrote:

Thank you

Actually recently retired all star coach and point guard whisperer Byron Scott started it.

By that you decided that Clarkson bought in to it?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Those are solid goals.

lakersboy wrote:

Thank you

By that you decided that Clarkson bought in to it?

I didn't decide anything, I watched his playstyle shift to a Toys R Us version of it and him put everything Nash taught him about picking his spots on the backburner and then I watched fans excuse his decision making cause as a shooting guard he's apparently not supposed to care about passing or making good decisions on the court, and should only concern himself with such things if he was playing the point which would apparently fix everything. Even though it never did.

I didn't 'decide' he bought into the hype and started playing like a poor man's version, you could see it in his change in playstyle and approach to the game.

I didn't need to 'decide' it. I watched his entire playstyle and approach as it changed after buying into it and getting it hyped towards him by his coach.

Watch Clarkson's rookie year and his approach, and then watch every other subsequent year. It's pretty clear as day. But some Clarkson fans choose to remain in denial about that and still assume that the absolute perfect circumstances and the planets aligning the certain way would get Clarkson to play the way he used to again. It isn't happening.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it was so much that he bought into a certain type of hype as it was that he just stopped having Nash in his ear all the time. It's a lot easier to make the right choices when you have that vet in your ear constantly than not. It also doesn't hell when the guy you're playing beside of, and is helping mentor you (Lou will) is known as a guy who plays for the drive and has never been known for smart efficient offense.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Ask their coach, according to Zach Lowe. Personally, I'd sit Levert. I think Crabbe is too good a shooter not to start.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Ask their coach, according to Zach Lowe. Personally, I'd sit Levert. I think Crabbe is too good a shooter not to start.

Lin is a better player than DLO so if the intention is to win games, I think he starts at PG.

DLO may start at the 2, but I don't think they agree to take on Crabbe's contract to bring him off the bench.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Lin is a better player than DLO so if the intention is to win games, I think he starts at PG.

DLO may start at the 2, but I don't think they agree to take on Crabbe's contract to bring him off the bench.

So they took on Moz's deal (probably 2nd worst in the NBA) to bring DLO off the bench?

Crabbe is already a bench player on Portland, i think he's coming off the bench for the Nets.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

So they took on Moz's deal (probably 2nd worst in the NBA) to bring DLO off the bench?

Crabbe is already a bench player on Portland, i think he's coming off the bench for the Nets.

You could be right, I don't profess to know what is going on with that scrub franchise.

However, when last seen their coach couldn't figure out how to beat our Summer League Team with half his regular season team.

I would start Crabbe.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You could be right, I don't profess to know what is going on with that scrub franchise.

However, when last seen their coach couldn't figure out how to beat our Summer League Team with half his regular season team.

I would start Crabbe.

He is really a bench guard who was vastly overpaid. He is more of a 2/3 who is a catch/shoot guy. I think the Nets want a more dynamic backcourt with Lin/DLo. Both are being pushed as next year's face of the franchise.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

Can we talk about Clarkson in Clarkson's thread?

It is looking like Randle and Kuzma threads where we still have folks talking about former players.

Clarkson had a good time sharing the floor with Lin, who knows if Ball can't help him to find his groove.

We are coming out of the worst seasons of Lakers history, it is time to let this dark period of our history in the past.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Crabbe starts for the same reason KCP starts. 3 & D guy.

they took on Moz's deal to gamble on DLO but Crabbe waived the 15% trade kicker. thats around 8m or something

he signed that offer sheet last year cause he wanted to be a starter.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Those are solid goals.

lakersboy wrote:

Just going by the eye test, the 1st thing that stands out about Jordan going left is that he
misses a lot of outside shots when he's fading that direction.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject:

Lakersnation podcast had Keith Smith on it. Good podcast going over all our players and 2018 FA. They had a nice segment on JC. Recommend everyone listen.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Agree with this unless the infamous DLO work ethic surfaces again in Brooklyn.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersnation podcast had Keith Smith on it. Good podcast going over all our players and 2018 FA. They had a nice segment on JC. Recommend everyone listen.

I was grocery shopping so i may forget the particulars, but they discussed how it's likely that they will help JC establish a stronger market value ala Lou Will and move him at the deadline. They thought he wasn't too overpriced but at the same time, his contract was a little on the more expensive side for a bench scorer.

Was quite impressed with how nuanced and balanced the podcast was discussing all the Lakers 2018 FA implications.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

Compared to other bench scorers clarkson has a great contract, especially based on what other players will get in 2018.

It doesn't fit with the 2 max scenario, so if we do that then we have to move him. But that doesn't suddenly make his contract bad, imo

Here's to hoping our entire team plays excellent next year and we don't need to move anyone after all
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Compared to other bench scorers clarkson has a great contract, especially based on what other players will get in 2018.

It doesn't fit with the 2 max scenario, so if we do that then we have to move him. But that doesn't suddenly make his contract bad, imo

Here's to hoping our entire team plays excellent next year and we don't need to move anyone after all

FWIW, here were the NBA 6th men votes for last year (JC didn't get a vote). He makes about the same or more than the bolded.

Gordon, Eric (Hou.)
Iguodala, Andre (G.S.)
Williams, Lou (Hou.)
Randolph, Zach (Mem.)
Johnson, James (Mia.)
Monroe, Greg (Mil.)
Crawford, Jamal (LA-C)
Kanter, Enes (OKC.)
Mills, Patty (S.A.)
Hardaway Jr., Tim (Atl.)
Carter, Vince (Mem.)
Johnson, Tyler (Mia.)
Brogdon, Malcolm (Mil.)

I don't think JC's contract is a terrible one. But i'm not convinced it's a great deal either. It is moveable if necessary, but just hate how our 2018 plans are so transparent. I'm hoping teams don't make us pay an extra premium to get cap space.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
FWIW, here were the NBA 6th men votes for last year (JC didn't get a vote). He makes about the same or more than the bolded.

Gordon, Eric (Hou.)
Iguodala, Andre (G.S.)
Williams, Lou (Hou.)
Randolph, Zach (Mem.)
Johnson, James (Mia.)
Monroe, Greg (Mil.)
Crawford, Jamal (LA-C)
Kanter, Enes (OKC.)
Mills, Patty (S.A.)
Hardaway Jr., Tim (Atl.)
Carter, Vince (Mem.)
Johnson, Tyler (Mia.)
Brogdon, Malcolm (Mil.)

I don't think JC's contract is a terrible one. But i'm not convinced it's a great deal either. It is moveable if necessary, but just hate how our 2018 plans are so transparent. I'm hoping teams don't make us pay an extra premium to get cap space.

Of those, three players make no money because they are old as dirt (Randolph, Crawford, Carter).

Brogdon is a rookie. Patty Mills is San Antonio where they do stuff differently

The only real counterpoint is Lou Williams , who is probably set for a raise? Or is he too old
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Gordon, Eric (Hou.)
Iguodala, Andre (G.S.)
Williams, Lou (Hou.)
Randolph, Zach (Mem.)
Johnson, James (Mia.)
Monroe, Greg (Mil.)
Crawford, Jamal (LA-C)
Kanter, Enes (OKC.)
Mills, Patty (S.A.)
Hardaway Jr., Tim (Atl.)
Carter, Vince (Mem.)
Johnson, Tyler (Mia.)
Brogdon, Malcolm (Mil.)

Of those, three players make no money because they are old as dirt (Randolph, Crawford, Carter).

Brogdon is a rookie. Patty Mills is San Antonio where they do stuff differently

The only real counterpoint is Lou Williams , who is probably set for a raise? Or is he too old

I'm talking about ZBo/Crawford/Carter's new contracts that were reached this summer.

I don't think JC is overly overpaid; but i don't think he is a bargain either. When they re-signed him, i think they were hoping that he could be a starting guard. With Lonzo/KCP, that's not going to happen.

We will probably prop his value up like Lou and hope we can get a late 1st, maybe early 2nd rounder for him. His deal has more years/expensive than Lou, but JC's also younger.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

Clarkson is going to look better in the minutes he gets with Zo. Hes gonna be whipping passes like Rookie Clarkson. I call that the Ball Effect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 622, 623, 624 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 623 of 685
Jump to: