Byron Scott says he has retired from coaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.

Some of them are good. For instance, I like Chauncey Billups and even Wheelchair PP hasn't been too bad surprisingly.

But some of the guys are awful, CWebb blows as a game commentator for instance.

That said, personally I prefer insight from guys that actually played the game, particularly hyper-critical insight. It is hard for me to take midgets like Screaming A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Peter Vescey, etc. seriously when they are writing guys off after one bad playoff game or something.

Yeah, I like former players as part of the mix, but maybe draw from deeper in that well rather than just known guys with a "personality", and then mixing them with non NBA guys who are mostly clickbait jockeys.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

L.A. LAKERS EX-COACH BYRON SCOTT SAYS TEAM IS STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH, EVEN WITH LONZO BALL

Quote:
“This year? I don't think so this year,” he said in an interview with TMZ. "It depends, but I think they got a real good chance at being a whole lot better than they have been the last few years, that's for sure.”

http://www.newsweek.com/lakers-magic-johnson-lonzo-ball-byron-scott-647446
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Not surprised. I think we all knew that was the last chapter of his career. He wasn't just bad but he stunk up the house and dragged his feet on the way out. Not a good look for future employers. He has no one to blame but himself.
beg to differ.
every coach has someone to blame and thats the FO/OWNERSHIP.

reason is simple. How badly would I have done with a better roster?

The only coach that can't say that is Doc rivers. Or any other coach who's the GM and the coach.

Now there is a point where even if i give you a very good team and you keep underachieving that is more of an indictment on your lack of coaching ability or ability to lift guys above the average.

but you could give a super young team that isnt that good to pretty much any coach and they would suck. run any schemes you like. suck city. sure some coaches will make them fun to watch( MDA). but they will still be in the lottery. if you're B.scott and you started out with a team that had Jkidd on it and a pretty decent roster to round it off. then you got lucky again and got cp3 with a pretty decent roster to round it out. you know what its all about. you've proven give me a legit roster and I'll compete. if you dont, i'll lose like everyone else.

Now has the game passed him by? yes. He's asking a new era of basketball player to be very tough. not going to happen. thats not how these kids are built. sorry scott. They are skilled, play very fast, and everyone shoots/dribbles. guys are allergic to posting up and defending to be honest.

if thats too much for a coach to understand. he might as well call it quits. old man sloan saw the writing on the wall years ago.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Byron should blame the FO for hiring him.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Amazing that a full year has passed and the 5-10 folks left on the planet who defend Byron still don't understand why he was fired.

And just like Byron, they point the finger at every possible circumstance or person except him. It's always everyone else's fault.

His offense stinks.
His defense stinks.
His rotation patterns stink.
His ability to make in-game adjustments stinks.
His communication level with his players stinks.
His teaching ability stinks.

In every conceivable area of coaching that required actual coaching skills, he reigned as the odoriferous skunk king of the skunk forest. Give it up. Even the same people who gave Mozgov and Deng those contracts had enough competence to fire Byron. Wake up. If you're still defending him, you're as out of touch with reality as he was a year ago when he still thought there was a chance some other team would hire him to stink their franchise up next.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Amazing that a full year has passed and the 5-10 folks left on the planet who defend Byron still don't understand why he was fired.

I haven't seen really anyone defend his coaching. Could you provide a few examples?

I think you might be confusing those who provide context as some sort of rogue Byron Scott defense team.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.

Some of them are good. For instance, I like Chauncey Billups and even Wheelchair PP hasn't been too bad surprisingly.

But some of the guys are awful, CWebb blows as a game commentator for instance.

That said, personally I prefer insight from guys that actually played the game, particularly hyper-critical insight. It is hard for me to take midgets like Screaming A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Peter Vescey, etc. seriously when they are writing guys off after one bad playoff game or something.

The Stephen A's and Vecsey's I'm not even counting. The hot take group are just loudmouths -- basketball court jesters, a sideshow.

I'm not talking all players, just the ones who the game has passed by and rely on a sprinkling of humor or hype with little substance and insight into the modern game. You're a personality. Great. Can you study the game a little more to give us some real insight that the play by play guy isn't capable of? Can you breakdown a play for us or some strategy or technique/skillset?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

And just like Byron, they point the finger at every possible circumstance or person except him. It's always everyone else's fault.

His offense stinks.
His defense stinks.

In every conceivable area of coaching that required actual coaching skills, he reigned as the odoriferous skunk king of the skunk forest. Give it up. Even the same people who gave Mozgov and Deng those contracts had enough competence to fire Byron. Wake up. If you're still defending him, you're as out of touch with reality as he was a year ago when he still thought there was a chance some other team would hire him to stink their franchise up next.
Ju. you could be right about all those things when it comes to the now lol...offficially retired bscott. but the point i was making was simple.

Has byron been to the finals before? YES

Do you know how many solid coaches that you would considered are better than Scott will never and/or have never reached the finals? Let that sink in for a minute.

How is it that a guy as bad as scott (as you say)... can get to the finals and give the lakers a run for their money even when his team was over matched (cp3 vs kobe and gasol).

Coaches do have an impact. but dont be fooled. you have to have talented players and the proper mix to get anywhere in the nba. if you dont have this. i dont care if you're phil jackson or coach pop. your team will suck.

put it this way. even with scott's antiquated methods. If you give him a legit team of players. he would still be in the playoffs.

I'll do you one better. You probably think Doc rivers is a much better coach and communicator.

yet, you give scott that same clipper team that just broke up.

Cp3, Reddick, DJ, Blake, and Jcrawf off the pine. and fillers.

Byron scott at worse would've done exactly what doc did, which is exactly what del negro did. remember guys swearing negro was terrible. and this was before DJ was even a full grown man that understood the nba. same with blake.

people said del negro sucked because he couldnt take the young version of the clippers further. did Del ever lose to a team he should not have? Not that i recall. thats the only time you can truly down grade a coach.

There isnt one instance where old man byron has underachieved. all hate aside. thats just the facts.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
30 teams made that decision for him by not wanting to get anywhere near him. He didn't retire, he just can't get the employment he wants.

He would have retired after is stint in Cleveland if it wasn't for the lakers giving him one last payday.

DancingBarry wrote:

I'm not talking all players, just the ones who the game has passed by and rely on a sprinkling of humor or hype with little substance and insight into the modern game. You're a personality. Great. Can you study the game a little more to give us some real insight that the play by play guy isn't capable of? Can you breakdown a play for us or some strategy or technique/skillset?

Of the all the major sports, I've always felt that Bball has the worst announcers and a lot of it is because of what you stated here. SO much of what you hear are the same regurgitated platitudes and its a shame. Basketball is really great when you get into the nuts and bolts of it, but these announcers barely scratch the surface or just try and push BS narratives.

!...

Last edited by City_Dawg on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Judah wrote:

His offense stinks.
His defense stinks.

Ju. you could be right about all those things when it comes to the now lol...offficially retired bscott. but the point i was making was simple.

Do you know how many solid coaches that you would considered are better than Scott will never and/or have never reached the finals? Let that sink in for a minute.

How is it that a guy as bad as scott (as you say)... can get to the finals and give the lakers a run for their money even when his team was over matched (cp3 vs kobe and gasol).

Coaches do have an impact. but dont be fooled. you have to have talented players and the proper mix to get anywhere in the nba. if you dont have this. i dont care if you're phil jackson or coach pop. your team will suck.

put it this way. even with scott's antiquated methods. If you give him a legit team of players. he would still be in the playoffs.

I'll do you one better. You probably think Doc rivers is a much better coach and communicator.

Byron scott at worse would've done exactly what doc did, which is exactly what del negro did. remember guys swearing negro was terrible. and this was before DJ was even a full grown man that understood the nba. same with blake.

people said del negro sucked because he couldnt take the young version of the clippers further. did Del ever lose to a team he should not have? Not that i recall. thats the only time you can truly down grade a coach.

There isnt one instance where old man byron has underachieved. all hate aside. thats just the facts.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Judah wrote:

His offense stinks.
His defense stinks.

awwwwww...someone posts logical reasons why a coach loses a lot and it some how is seen as cringe worthy. because said poster is not on the "hate this or that person just cause everyone else does" bandwagon.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
55 wrote:
30 teams made that decision for him by not wanting to get anywhere near him. He didn't retire, he just can't get the employment he wants.

He would have retired after is stint in Cleveland if it wasn't for the lakers giving him one last payday.

DancingBarry wrote:

Of the all the major sports, I've always felt that Bball has the worst announcers and a lot of it is because of what you stated here. SO much of what you hear are the same regurgitated platitudes and its a shame. Basketball is really great when you get into the nuts and bolts of it, but these announcers barely scratch the surface or just try and push BS narratives.

Then the question becomes what would you like to hear from your Hoop announcers? More analytics? you only have so much time to break that stuff down and talk about it while the game is going. The game is also much faster than the other two top sports. or shoot, its faster than pretty much all major sports.

baseball you have all the time in the world to break things down in multiple ways. Football you have a lot of time to break stuff down between plays unless the QB is constantly running a hurry up offense.

Soccer you have time as well. Hockey, fast paced movement but that score isnt changing much so you still have time to break some stuff down.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
nickuku wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Judah wrote:

His offense stinks.
His defense stinks.

awwwwww...someone posts logical reasons why a coach loses a lot and it some how is seen as cringe worthy. because said poster is not on the "hate this or that person just cause everyone else does" bandwagon.

Your defense of Byron is pretty much "coaching doesn't matter" so yes it is cringe-worthy at the very least.

I have my own reasons for disliking Byron that I don't need to bring up again here. There is no need to attach myself to anyone else or vice versa.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
55 wrote:

DancingBarry wrote:

Then the question becomes what would you like to hear from your Hoop announcers? More analytics? you only have so much time to break that stuff down and talk about it while the game is going. The game is also much faster than the other two top sports. or shoot, its faster than pretty much all major sports.

baseball you have all the time in the world to break things down in multiple ways. Football you have a lot of time to break stuff down between plays unless the QB is constantly running a hurry up offense.

Soccer you have time as well. Hockey, fast paced movement but that score isnt changing much so you still have time to break some stuff down.

Hubie Brown does it. Jeff Van Gundy does it to a lesser extent. When Rick Carlisle was on TV he did it. So no, its not really an excuse.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

His offense stinks.
His defense stinks.

Byron is a bad coach no question about that, but the team he had to work here was terrible. He had a few veterans ready to retire, a bunch of long time journeymen and a young core that looks more like the "all-journeymen of the future team" than the all stars of the future, I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future Nance is the only young player he had still around here and Nance is a role player.

Last edited by nash on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
55 wrote:

DancingBarry wrote:

No. I'm fine with the level of stats they give out now. There are actually good analysts and color guys out there. They know what they are talking about have no problem finding time in the game to break something down. It's not a matter of this being a different sport at all.

Good analysis might tell you on the replay that running a play, you've got option A, B or C. This is why he passed to option B. Or watch the second screen being set on this play, which is the key to opening up this shot, etc. You can see what plays teams are running and will know what's the options are and even do this in real time if you wanted to, but there's no reason you can't sprinkle some knowledge during the usual replays or in your halftime or postgame shows. And if you're doing this for a living, why aren't you doing your homework if they're running different stuff and have different strategy when you were a player? That's just lazy and I see it more and more right now.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Remember when they had Dennis Miller on MNF. That was brutal. NBA commentators are approaching that level of incompetence very quickly.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
55 wrote:

DancingBarry wrote:

No. I'm fine with the level of stats they give out now. There are actually good analysts and color guys out there. They know what they are talking about have no problem finding time in the game to break something down. It's not a matter of this being a different sport at all.

Good analysis might tell you on the replay that running a play, you've got option A, B or C. This is why he passed to option B. Or watch the second screen being set on this play, which is the key to opening up this shot, etc. You can see what plays teams are running and will know what's the options are and even do this in real time if you wanted to, but there's no reason you can't sprinkle some knowledge during the usual replays or in your halftime or postgame shows. And if you're doing this for a living, why aren't you doing your homework if they're running different stuff and have different strategy when you were a player? That's just lazy and I see it more and more right now.
I see, and I agree.
They are not doing their homework. which is funny because its so much easier now with the internet.

So you want younger Hubie Browns? Because that is the type of stuff he would do/say. I use to love listening to HB. hated when they had other guys on that could not explain the game.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Raijin wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.

That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.

Oh boo hoo. Whether you saw him or not you're old enough to understand his impact and import to the franchise as a player.

Or just keep beating a dead horse, whatever floats your boat.

Should you really be the one saying boo hoo following that plea to leave him alone. He's a terrible coach and some fans will only remember him as such. You need to let it go.

Aw, dog! ::IRONY EXPLOSION::

Maybe don't tell me to "let it go" if you're still into complaining about a guy that doesn't work here anymore.

Calling it like it is isn't complaining, but I can I see that you're offended. You must like him quite a bit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: