50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do Tiger and O J deserve to be on the list?
YES
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
NO
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
MAYBE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
UNDECIDED
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OTHER (explain)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Why does it matter whether they're black? Seriously, Jodeke. Is there some different standard for black athletes?

I wonder how a 50 Greatest White Athletes list would go over . . .

Well we know Jack Nicklaus wouldn't be on it and Mary Lou Retton would be above Larry Bird and Tom Brady.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I thought my qualification, why I didn't think they should be on the list, was clear THEY don't consider themselves BLACK so, why include them on a list they don't identify with? Again BLACK being the operative.

IMO they are among the greatest Black Athletes, THEY don't want to be BLACK, I'm merely honoring their wishes by not including them on a ethnic list the don't want to be a part of.]

Jodeke, this is wrong on so many levels that it makes me dizzy. Do you think people get to choose their race? Or is it that you want to make a list of people who are comfortable with being black? Jeez, man.

This is JMO. I'm not asking you or anyone to agree or reason with it. It's mine and mine alone.

Tiger and O J don't want to be Black. This article is compiled on someones idea of 50 Black athletes. I don't agree with the list, I think O J and Tiger should be on it.

If you read my post you'd see where I'm coming from and not try to push me in a direction of your choice.

I don't recall OJ ever saying he wasn't black. I thought his wholee thing was about not being defined by hia erhnicity.

I mean, being black or not isn't an opinion is it?

Like if it was top 50 active NBA athletes on the round earth, Kyrie Irving wouldnt qualify?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I guess Spike Lee would have included Babe Ruth on this list.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Ray Leonard above Ray Robinson? Please. And if we are just talking athletes not "social impact" the guy at 25 should be at #1. Yeah that's Bo Jackson.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
This is JMO. I'm not asking you or anyone to agree or reason with it. It's mine and mine alone.

Tiger and O J don't want to be Black. This article is compiled on someones idea of 50 Black athletes. I don't agree with the list, I think O J and Tiger should be on it.

If you read my post you'd see where I'm coming from and not try to push me in a direction of your choice.

Okay, but I am suggesting that you should consider whether the question you are posing -- regardless of how you answer it -- is problematic.

Looking it another way, what would you think if a white journalist wrote an article arguing that Tiger Woods should be on the list even though he doesn't want to be black?

Last edited by Aeneas Hunter on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I thought my qualification, why I didn't think they should be on the list, was clear THEY don't consider themselves BLACK so, why include them on a list they don't identify with? Again BLACK being the operative.

IMO they are among the greatest Black Athletes, THEY don't want to be BLACK, I'm merely honoring their wishes by not including them on a ethnic list the don't want to be a part of.]

Jodeke, this is wrong on so many levels that it makes me dizzy. Do you think people get to choose their race? Or is it that you want to make a list of people who are comfortable with being black? Jeez, man.

I don't recall OJ ever saying he wasn't black. I thought his wholee thing was about not being defined by hia erhnicity.

Like if it was top 50 active NBA athletes on the round earth, Kyrie Irving wouldnt qualify?

Quote:
Harry Edwards says, "His sentiments were, 'I'm not black, I'm O.J.' " (Those sentiments were echoed, not by blacks, but whites).

Good read, long but interesting

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Okay, but I am suggesting that you should consider whether the question you are posing -- regardless of how you answer it -- is problematic.

Looking it another way, what would you think if a white journalist wrote an article arguing that Tiger Woods should be on the list even though he doesn't want to be black?

The question I'm posing isn't problematic unless you make it so. It asked a simple question. Do you or Do you not? If you don't have an opinion, so be it.

I'll shelf you OTHER.

In my best Martin Lawrence voice, WAT DA PROBLEM IS????

That would be his/her opinion and they'd be entitled to hold it.

I don't know the ethnicity of the author of this article, that never crossed my mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

total joke,

Earl Campbell and Larry Fitzgerald are on the list but Mean Joe Greene and Lynn Swann are not
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
total joke,

Earl Campbell and Larry Fitzgerald are on the list but Mean Joe Greene and Lynn Swann are not

Guess I created a fire storm. Let's fuel it. Here's another list by a different entity.

LINK

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:
Harry Edwards says, "His sentiments were, 'I'm not black, I'm O.J.' " (Those sentiments were echoed, not by blacks, but whites).

Now we're splitting hairs. Is your point that OJ did not think he was ethnically black vs culturally black?

In your own article, OJ is quoted as saying: "I'm a black guy, always been a black guy, never been nothing but a black guy."

So you must be taking the position that he did not consider himself to be black, culturally speaking since he clearly knows he is black, ethnically speaking.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Another YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP

Trump considering privatizing Afghanistan military ops, massive contract to Blackwater founder

LINK

Quote:
Erik Prince, brother of Betsy DeVos, is one of the largest donors to Donald Trump and the Republican party as a whole. He’s also the founder of Blackwater, the private “security” company that was one of several private companies the George W. Bush administration used in Iraq. It was an extremely lucrative time for Blackwater. In 2001, Blackwater had contracts with the U.S. government valued at $736,906. By 2006, those contracts skyrocketed to $593 million, with a combined total of more than $1 billion in those five years.
VIDEO

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
total joke,

Guess I created a fire storm. Let's fuel it. Here's another list by a different entity.

LINK

Definitely fuels it, I think this 50 greatest is not a 50 greatest athletes list but more a hybrid popularity and great athletes list. Kobe not being on the list is proof. Also was Jim brown even on the 50? I don't remember seeing his name.

And it would have been real nice to see Marvin Foster on the list but I know it would never happen in this sports culture. He was a better athlete than most on that list.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

They polled thousands of adults, and then came up with the list. So it explains why Steph Curry is there and Kobe isn't, for instance.

I don't have a problem with the list itself, but I understand why some people would have a problem with it. And then when the list has some questionable inclusions and exclusions, then you have even more controversy. Which is exactly what the people that commissioned it were looking for. They wanted people to talk about it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Trump considering privatizing Afghanistan military ops, massive contract to Blackwater founder

[url=https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/8/1687821/-Trump-considering-privatizing-Afghanistan-military-ops-massive-contract-to-Blackwater-founder]
LINK [/url]

Quote:
Erik Prince, brother of Betsy DeVos, is one of the largest donors to Donald Trump and the Republican party as a whole. He’s also the founder of Blackwater, the private “security” company that was one of several private companies the George W. Bush administration used in Iraq. It was an extremely lucrative time for Blackwater. In 2001, Blackwater had contracts with the U.S. government valued at $736,906. By 2006, those contracts skyrocketed to $593 million, with a combined total of more than $1 billion in those five years.

Past yo bedtime man.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Why does it matter whether they're black? Seriously, Jodeke. Is there some different standard for black athletes?

All lives matter eh?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

[url=https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/8/1687821/-Trump-considering-privatizing-Afghanistan-military-ops-massive-contract-to-Blackwater-founder]
LINK [/url]

Quote:

Past yo bedtime man.

Yeah, Yo didn't show up to tuck me in tonight.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

Now we're splitting hairs. Is your point that OJ did not think he was ethnically black vs culturally black?

In your own article, OJ is quoted as saying: "I'm a black guy, always been a black guy, never been nothing but a black guy."

So you must be taking the position that he did not consider himself to be black, culturally speaking since he clearly knows he is black, ethnically speaking.

Splitting hairs? Which do you think?

Quote:
Yet the documentary starts off with him saying, "I'm a black guy, always been a black guy, never been nothing but a black guy."

This is disingenuous.
O.J. tried and almost succeeded at being everything but a black guy -- and, more important, his own guy.

He fooled himself. He fooled white people. But he didn't fool very many black people. Not the ones who knew him well, anyway.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The question I'm posing isn't problematic unless you make it so. It asked a simple question. Do you or Do you not? If you don't have an opinion, so be it.

Okay, fine. My opinion is that you should be ashamed of yourself for posting this sort of racist drivel.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Quote:
Yet the documentary starts off with him saying, "I'm a black guy, always been a black guy, never been nothing but a black guy."

This is disingenuous.
O.J. tried and almost succeeded at being everything but a black guy -- and, more important, his own guy.

He fooled himself. He fooled white people. But he didn't fool very many black people. Not the ones who knew him well, anyway.

You're quoting the opinion of the author, not of OJ himself. OJ himself said he is a black guy. So you are excluding him not because OJ doesn't consider himself black, but because YOU do not consider him black.

Isn't the list trying to list the top 50 athletes by race type (i.e. black in this case) versus cultural identity?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

All lives matter eh?

Not my point at all.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Okay, fine. My opinion is that you should be ashamed of yourself for posting this sort of racist drivel.

An opinion you have the right to own. I respect it.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

This is disingenuous.

You're quoting the opinion of the author, not of OJ himself. OJ himself said he is a black guy. So you are excluding him not because OJ doesn't consider himself black, but because YOU do not consider him black.

Isn't the list trying to list the top 50 athletes by race type (i.e. black in this case) versus cultural identity?

This is true.
Yes ()that's what the article is listing the athletes as.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

I haven't looked at the list, but if Kimbo Slice isn't on it, it's total crap.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I haven't looked at the list, but if Kimbo Slice isn't on it, it's total crap.

One of the many lists didn't include Kobe sooooo????

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
And if we are just talking athletes not "social impact" the guy at 25 should be at #1. Yeah that's Bo Jackson.

Based on athleticism, without a doubt.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: