Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Why are they only doing one more season?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:

Jon x Dany is the best solution to the problem of Dany wanting Jon to bend the knee to her.

Every chick that gets Jon in a cave wants him to bend the knee. But he doesn't get down like that. Dany needs to romance him a little more first. Like Ygritte did.

I remember a certain line Ygritte had that contradicts that . . .

According to my gf, those 2 are dating in real life... so he's been bending the knee.

Yeah, she's an incredibly awful actress, who probably couldn't act like she's burning if you lit her on fire, but the chemistry with jon snow is real.

Good thing for her that her character can't burn.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

Jhin0821 wrote:

Because that is all they need to finish the story. Sure it sucks that it's a shortened season and that there are only 9 total episodes left but they will likely be longer episodes and they will be very dense with plot and no "filler" since they have a lot to resolve.

The main actors' salaries are too high to have this season and next be 10 episodes while giving us the quality of episodes they want to give us. I doubt we get a scene as epic as Field of Fire 2.0 if this season was 10 episodes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:

Jon x Dany is the best solution to the problem of Dany wanting Jon to bend the knee to her.

Every chick that gets Jon in a cave wants him to bend the knee. But he doesn't get down like that. Dany needs to romance him a little more first. Like Ygritte did.

According to my gf, those 2 are dating in real life... so he's been bending the knee.

Yeah, she's an incredibly awful actress, who probably couldn't act like she's burning if you lit her on fire, but the chemistry with jon snow is real.

Yeah, that made that old reference all the more appealing...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

Because that is all they need to finish the story. Sure it sucks that it's a shortened season and that there are only 9 total episodes left but they will likely be longer episodes and they will be very dense with plot and no "filler" since they have a lot to resolve.

The main actors' salaries are too high to have this season and next be 10 episodes while giving us the quality of episodes they want to give us. I doubt we get a scene as epic as Field of Fire 2.0 if this season was 10 episodes.

Yes, an ending similar to Mad Men, splitting one season into two. It keeps the suspense and media references high.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah, that made that old reference all the more appealing...

I think it's Jon Snow and Ygritte who are together in real life. I'm assuming you're talking about Dany, right ?

I agree about the Dany-Jon chemistry. I'm enjoying it.

I very much liked the way their conversation in the cave was a direct mirror of Jon's conversation with Mance Rader, with Jon on the other side.

Mance is one of my favorite minor characters of the entire series, and the Mance-Jon relationship was great. I love how we've seen Jon take on so many of the qualities that made Mance a great leader.

Last edited by babyskyhook on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

You're assumption is correct per ScreenRant:
Quote:
The season’s fourth episode, ‘The Spoils of War’, is going to be a bit different – it’s going to be extremely short and earns the title of shortest Game of Thrones episode yet running at a time of 50 minutes. But don’t fret Thrones fans, the next episode is going to bounce back to 59 minutes, then building up to a 71-minute penultimate episode and giving us the longest yet with an 81-minute finale.

Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

Salaries too high? HBO probably has billions
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Jhin0821 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

That doesn't mean they aren't going to try to reign the spending in. The financial people at HBO are going to want to see reasonable return on their investment and are budgeting against ALL of their projects, current and future.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

That doesn't mean they aren't going to try to reign the spending in. The financial people at HBO are going to want to see reasonable return on their investment and are budgeting against ALL of their projects, current and future.

It's GOT. Don't they want to keep the gravy train going?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Jhin0821 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

That's what spin-offs are for. They can be in the same universe that has all the hype with newer actors that dont demand a high salary.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

You're assumption is correct per ScreenRant:
Quote:
The season’s fourth episode, ‘The Spoils of War’, is going to be a bit different – it’s going to be extremely short and earns the title of shortest Game of Thrones episode yet running at a time of 50 minutes. But don’t fret Thrones fans, the next episode is going to bounce back to 59 minutes, then building up to a 71-minute penultimate episode and giving us the longest yet with an 81-minute finale.

60, 70 and 80 minutes?!?! YES!
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Shows have to end especially serialized shows. It's a matter of time before quality drops and viewers start dropping the show. On top of that, actor's salaries increase. So viewership goes down yet your budget is going up, not a good recipe for success. And like loslakersss pointed out, that's why there are spinoffs, prequels, sequels, and all that. Different actors, for the most part, would ideally lower the budget while attracting new and hopefully more viewers.

Just look at Walking Dead. Numbers are dropping and with no end in sight, I expect them to continue going down. This might not end well for them. Announcing the end of a show at its peak will result in an increase in viewership for the remaining season(s). Just look at Breaking Bad and how their numbers doubled and tripled during the last half-season.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:

Jon and Ygritte are dating IRL, not Jon and Dany.
Emilia Clarke's problem is that she has basically one facial expression/ attitude: smug imperiousness. She has no range at all. I wonder if part of it is the character as written, though. For example, some of the Sand Snakes are pretty good actresses yet they were all terrible, especially in S5.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Jhin0821 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:

It's not really gravy train. I mean it's popular and successful, but HBO is subscriber television - meaning that they get their viewership from their body of programming. They aren't really dependent on breakout hits like Network TV is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:

Emilia Clarke's problem is that she has basically one facial expression/ attitude: smug imperiousness. She has no range at all. I wonder if part of it is the character as written, though. For example, some of the Sand Snakes are pretty good actresses yet they were all terrible, especially in S5.

Naw, the writing is there for a more dynamic performance, she's just not delivering.

And yes, Harrington has been dating Rose Leslie for a while. There was a rumor they were engaged, but that's not the case. Clarke and Harrington hadn't even worked together on set until this past shooting season.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:

Terminator: Genisys. She was also their second choice for the part. They should've stuck with the first or went to a different actress. Also hurts that her physical growth has stunted to where she makes Tyrion Lannister look normal sized.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Had Jaime not lost his hand would he have fought for Tyrion? Would Tywin have allowed it knowing he could lose both of his sons in one day?

This show is fantastic because everything that happens impacts so many other things down the line. Nothing is done for the sake of just doing it or for shock value.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Terminator: Genisys. She was also their second choice for the part. They should've stuck with the first or went to a different actress. Also hurts that her physical growth has stunted to where she makes Tyrion Lannister look normal sized.

They had Brie Larson and Tatiana Maslany in the mix at time, but they had to step in it with Clarke. Too bad the Terminator tv spinoff back in the day with Lena Headey as Sarah Connor didn't last long, thought her performance (pre-Cersei, pre-Queen Gorgo) ran circles around anything Clarke could eek out.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tox wrote:

Naw, the writing is there for a more dynamic performance, she's just not delivering.

And yes, Harrington has been dating Rose Leslie for a while. There was a rumor they were engaged, but that's not the case. Clarke and Harrington hadn't even worked together on set until this past shooting season.

Is there? At least this season, I'm thinking of all of Dany's dialogue and I can't think of a single instance where it wasn't haughty (even when divorced from Clarke's performance). I don't recall precisely enough previous seasons, but this season I feel like Dany's been about as one note as Clarke has played her.

Anyway, it's sure fortunate she and Kit have some natural chemistry, if nothing else.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
tox wrote:

I haven't seen it. She wasn't good?
It turns out she's theater trained, which might explain why she's not very good at emoting via facial expressions.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Game of Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvcrwTcA5iw

Too funny..
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
rwongega wrote:
tox wrote:

It turns out she's theater trained, which might explain why she's not very good at emoting via facial expressions.

Theater trained are absolutely master class. Ben Kingsley, Cate Blanchett, Ian Mckellan, Agenela Lansubry, Edward Norton...I could go on and on. Most of Hollywood's top caliber actors cut their teeth in the theater. Heck, most of her co-stars including Kit Harrington began in theater (at the least the HS level or studied it). She's jsut not very good.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

They had Brie Larson and Tatiana Maslany in the mix at time, but they had to step in it with Clarke. Too bad the Terminator tv spinoff back in the day with Lena Headey as Sarah Connor didn't last long, thought her performance (pre-Cersei, pre-Queen Gorgo) ran circles around anything Clarke could eek out.

Yep. Good thing Larson left because it was already a sub-par movie. All Clarke did was somehow make it worse. I liked that show and I thought it had some promise. Unfortunately, like Firefly and many other Fox shows, canceled too early.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
rwongega wrote:
tox wrote:

Let's just say I'd give Arnold the Oscar before her. As jonnybravo noted, theater trained performers are the master class. In fact, Clarke was widely panned in her sole Broadway performance, which led to the early closing.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 180 of 247
Jump to: