Lakers ranked #9 for the best off season by David Aldridge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Lakers ranked #9 for the best off season by David Aldridge

http://www.nba.com/morning-tip-da-2017-offseason-rankings-top-10-teams

Says we will be a team that people are gonna want to tune in and watch and gives credit to the team.

He has a list for all 30 teams.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

So Golden State is #1 by default. Had we retained Nick Young, would we be higher in the rankings?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
So Golden State is #1 by default. Had we retained Nick Young, would we be higher in the rankings?

Did we sign 2 of the last 3 MVP's to a contract?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:

They're mostly #1 because they got Durant to take a discount, which allowed them to also retain Livingston and Iguodola (lots of people thought he was a goner). They also managed to resign most of their subs on pretty good deals; those are the types of players who often leave for more money after winning a ring. And of course they held onto Curry, which was expected, but still important.

Signing Nick was probably #5 to #7 on the list of their most offseason moves.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I think had we gotten Rondo we would be top 5, but nonetheless the FO has done a good job this summer and there is gonna be more moves to come during the season to make us better.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think had we gotten Rondo we would be top 5, but nonetheless the FO has done a good job this summer and there is gonna be more moves to come during the season to make us better.

I'm not sure a one-year stopgap would have made that big a difference. If anything, I think Ennis probably was a better choice because if he pans out we have him another year at the minimum.

My guess the in-season moves will be about trying to shed salary (Deng, Clarkson) rather than adding anyone significant.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I'm not sure a one-year stopgap would have made that big a difference. If anything, I think Ennis probably was a better choice because if he pans out we have him another year at the minimum.

My guess the in-season moves will be about trying to shed salary (Deng, Clarkson) rather than adding anyone significant.

In response to your post about trying to shed salary maybe that's true but we can always trade say Clarkson for Monroe while still making our team better and giving us flexibility.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Without clicking, off the top of my head on who had better off seasons:

OKC
Houston
Boston
Wolves

Am I missing anyone obvious team?
So is signing your own guy considered a win? Then I guess I can see why GS is #1.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

OKC
Houston
Boston
Wolves

So is signing your own guy considered a win? Then I guess I can see why GS is #1.

I would consider keeping a championship team together a win.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

OKC
Houston
Boston
Wolves

Philly, Denver, and Kings are the other three teams.

Not sure how Philly did better than us and are ranked at #4, a little too high. They basically did the same thing we did. Draft a young stud and sign one year dudes. On top of that, we dumped Mozgov and got back Lopez. Don't get it but whatever.

Denver being higher is fine. Sac... ehhh... nice FA signings but they're going nowhere.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
epak wrote:

OKC
Houston
Boston
Wolves

Yeah, and not just the core pieces. They kept the core and key role players intact AND added help. That is rare.
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

We're #9 up through now, but #1 overall.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Nice mention of Emplay.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Practice wrote:
epak wrote:

OKC
Houston
Boston
Wolves

Yeah, and not just the core pieces. They kept the core and key role players intact AND added help. That is rare.

I guess it comes down to criteria.
Is it about quality of team at end of off-season. Or is it improvement of quality. Cuz it's hard to improve a championship team.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

OKC #3 and Hou #5? I don't see how he can rank OKC ahead. CP3 > PG13, and he appears to not be a one year rental. We also got Harden to extend this summer and Westbrook still hasn't signed.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
OKC #3 and Hou #5? I don't see how he can rank OKC ahead. CP3 > PG13, and he appears to not be a one year rental. We also got Harden to extend this summer and Westbrook still hasn't signed.

His criteria is inconsistent.
But then again, I've ignored DA for the last 10 years. He's not what he used to be.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

In response to your post about trying to shed salary maybe that's true but we can always trade say Clarkson for Monroe while still making our team better and giving us flexibility.

I'm not sure we can trade Clarkson for an expiring. I think he's a vastly overpaid, nothing special guard, and I doubt GMs are clamoring to get him,.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I'm not sure we can trade Clarkson for an expiring. I think he's a vastly overpaid, nothing special guard, and I doubt GMs are clamoring to get him,.

Bucks might be willing to trade for him considering they can replace some of Parkers scoring with the addition of Clarkson, until Parker returns it will also open up PT for Thon Maker.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

regardless of the pay, I think Clarkson is a good player to have, a lot better than other realistic options.
I am personally annoyed that we lost Nick Young since he was basically our best 3pt shooter by far. He's one of those guys like Livingston that is going to be able to really let the starters get some solid rest. I hope we make up for it somehow, but right now we don't have anywhere near as deadly a 3pt shooter or hard shot maker like Young, and the warriors, our primary target, got our best one and they already have a handful of better ones. So I was extremely annoyed at that.

Lonzo seems special enough to really distinguish ourselves from the Warriors. but there's still that bottom line that open guys will have to make their 3pt shots. This is going to be key for us, and there's also the great hope that Ingram will emerge. He showed impressive glimpses as we all know that first game in the summer, I was very impressed. Now the volume. TO me, everything else is up in the air and remains to be seen.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Is it about quality of team at end of off-season. Or is it improvement of quality..

It's neither. It's about the quality of the moves you made. That includes signing free agents; making trades; resigning your own players; getting players on good contracts; signing coaches or executives.

The Warriors were number #1 not because they improved or because of how good their roster was, but because they managed to resign all their own players who were free agents.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Bucks might be willing to trade for him considering they can replace some of Parkers scoring with the addition of Clarkson, until Parker returns it will also open up PT for Thon Maker.

Bucks are set at shooting guard with Brogdon, Middleton and Snell. I don't see Clarkson being able to make their rotation.

There were reports of the Lakers offering Clarkson around before the draft, but teams didn't regard him highly and thought he was overpaid. At this point, i think you might need to pay extra to get teams to take him off your hands.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
regardless of the pay, I think Clarkson is a good player to have, a lot better than other realistic options.
I am personally annoyed that we lost Nick Young since he was basically our best 3pt shooter by far. He's one of those guys like Livingston that is going to be able to really let the starters get some solid rest. I hope we make up for it somehow, but right now we don't have anywhere near as deadly a 3pt shooter or hard shot maker like Young, and the warriors, our primary target, got our best one and they already have a handful of better ones. So I was extremely annoyed at that.

WE got KUZMA!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
epak wrote:

OKC
Houston
Boston
Wolves

Philly, Denver, and Kings are the other three teams.

Not sure how Philly did better than us and are ranked at #4, a little too high. They basically did the same thing we did. Draft a young stud and sign one year dudes. On top of that, we dumped Mozgov and got back Lopez. Don't get it but whatever.

Denver being higher is fine. Sac... ehhh... nice FA signings but they're going nowhere.

Maybe #4 is a bit high, but their main move was trading up to get Fultz. I think it was a hell of a move; IMO Fultz is way better than Jackson or Tatum.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Bucks just gave snell a 4 year 44 mil deal. Clarkson is not overpaid in these conditions (he is not underpaid either..)
adtz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
one is 32 year in chris paul, another is 27 in paul george... both having a year in their contract though. But okc give lesser player to get PG13 then what HOU give to get CP3 though.

So just base on above fact, I feel OKC did better which reckon a higher rank then HOU but no doubt HOU is a winner on that CP3 trade that why he rank 5 for DA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: