50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do Tiger and O J deserve to be on the list?
YES
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
NO
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
MAYBE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
UNDECIDED
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OTHER (explain)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
And if we are just talking athletes not "social impact" the guy at 25 should be at #1. Yeah that's Bo Jackson.

Based on athleticism, without a doubt.

Bo Knows!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Splitting hairs? Which do you think?

Quote:
Yet the documentary starts off with him saying, "I'm a black guy, always been a black guy, never been nothing but a black guy."

This is disingenuous.
O.J. tried and almost succeeded at being everything but a black guy -- and, more important, his own guy.

He fooled himself. He fooled white people. But he didn't fool very many black people. Not the ones who knew him well, anyway.

You're quoting the opinion of the author, not of OJ himself. OJ himself said he is a black guy. So you are excluding him not because OJ doesn't consider himself black, but because YOU do not consider him black.

Isn't the list trying to list the top 50 athletes by race type (i.e. black in this case) versus cultural identity?

This is true.
Yes ()that's what the article is listing the athletes as.

Ok. So I mean, if we agree the list is including players of a particular race type, and not cultural affiliation, why would it matter what you or I think about a players cultural affilations?

I mean, its like ranking the worlds best sandwiches and you want to exclude a reuben because you don't consider it a sandwich. Cmon man!
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I agree with ringfinger on this one. OJ and Tiger are black! I don't care if they think they're unicorns!!!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Splitting hairs? Which do you think?

Quote:
Yet the documentary starts off with him saying, "I'm a black guy, always been a black guy, never been nothing but a black guy."

This is disingenuous.
O.J. tried and almost succeeded at being everything but a black guy -- and, more important, his own guy.

He fooled himself. He fooled white people. But he didn't fool very many black people. Not the ones who knew him well, anyway.

You're quoting the opinion of the author, not of OJ himself. OJ himself said he is a black guy. So you are excluding him not because OJ doesn't consider himself black, but because YOU do not consider him black.

Isn't the list trying to list the top 50 athletes by race type (i.e. black in this case) versus cultural identity?

This is true.
Yes ()that's what the article is listing the athletes as.

Ok. So I mean, if we agree the list is including players of a particular race type, and not cultural affiliation, why would it matter what you or I think about a players cultural affilations?

I mean, its like ranking the worlds best sandwiches and you want to exclude a reuben because you don't consider it a sandwich. Cmon man!

I've explained my position numerous times. They're MY feelings. I'm not asking you or anyone to embrace them. I have my reasons and I won't change them. Maybe something in the future will cause a revisit and change. At this point in time, I remain steadfast.

We've disagreed before bout things race related. I took into account you having more invested than me relating to Japan. I tried to understand your reasoning. I'm not asking you to alter your course. We see things differently.

OJ and Tiger should be on the 50 Greatest Black Athletes list. I voted no and have since voiced my wish to change it to OTHER. I can't change it in the voting poll, you only get one vote choice. I've inked my OTHER reasons. You can accept or reject them. I don't think you will change my mind.

I stand by my siggy.

EDIT: Let's agree to disagree.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Is OJ on your list of greatest USC football players who definitely murdered Nicole Simpson?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Is OJ on your list of greatest USC football players who definitely murdered Nicole Simpson?

I don't have a list like that. Is he on yours? Poor injection from a MOD.

SIDE NOTE: I didn't author any of the 50 Greatest Black Athletes lists.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I don't have a list like that. Is he on yours?

No, because he doesn't identify as having killed Nicole Simpson.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES

jodeke wrote:
Tiger Woods and O j Simpson not on list. Do they deserve to be?

I voted NO.

LINK

OJ yes... On the field in College and the Pros. The impact he had off the field Pre Trial.

Tiger...wish I could but Tiger told us long ago. He wasnt black. Truth is, he was right. He isnt black. That one drop rule was a racist rule to begin with. He is his mother and his father. Only one is black. So there that goes.

But that list is terrible in some respects because they are missing some key people. unless the criteria said everyone had to be super positive off the field/court.

There are times a star might make a huge impact on culture but its not always for the better. Yet, you have to admit the impact was made.

Last edited by splashmtn on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

ONE OF THE THE OTHER VOTES IS MINE

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Good one!! Would be a good fit in the One liners, zingers and epic come backs!!! thread

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES

jodeke wrote:

I voted NO.

LINK

Depends on your definition of "greatest athletes."

The Undefeated list seems to make "inspiration" and "impact on society" big factors.

If you simply go by athletic achievement, they both should be.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I voted NO.

LINK

The Undefeated list seems to make "inspiration" and "impact on society" big factors.

Can't go simply by athletic achievement, this is like a hall of fame list and Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose, as great as they are, are not in the Baseball Hall of Fame for good reasons. Same thing here.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

No Kobe, Tiger or Deion Sanders? Are you kidding me?
And 2 freaking gymnasts in the top 10? LOL
g.t.f.o
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 50 GREATEST BLACK ATHLETES

Goldenwest wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I voted NO.

LINK

Can't go simply by athletic achievement, this is like a hall of fame list and Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose, as great as they are, are not in the Baseball Hall of Fame for good reasons. Same thing here.

That's kind of the point. Greatest Is the type of word that can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
do afrolatino athlete count?

Yes, Pele in there

Steph Curry?

I'd add Floyd Mayweather and Mike Tyson...
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

Yes they should. Their impact on their sports is legendary. OJ was nice at USC and in the NFL and the racial impact Tiger had on an all white sport while dominating at the same time should have him in the Top Five.

The list is pretty suspect. Tyson on impact alone should be on but he really never had a prime because of his incarceration and the fact that every big dight he had, he lost. His biggest win was against blown up light heavyweight Michael Spinks.

Deion Sanders athletically could be on the list but I don't think his off the field impact was that huge.

Duncan at fifty is weird.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Yes they should. Their impact on their sports is legendary. OJ was nice at USC and in the NFL and the racial impact Tiger had on an all white sport while dominating at the same time should have him in the Top Five.

The list is pretty suspect. Tyson on impact alone should be on but he really never had a prime because of his incarceration and the fact that every big dight he had, he lost. His biggest win was against blown up light heavyweight Michael Spinks.

Deion Sanders athletically could be on the list but I don't think his off the field impact was that huge.

Duncan at fifty is weird.
deon was flying in via helicopter from baseball games to nfl games for all to see. that spectacle alone should get neon in there.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

That list is horrible. How on earth is Kobe not on that list?
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Marvin Foster, one of the best big wave riders of all time, here at the 90' Pipe Masters on the north shore. Didnt have quite the fame and fortune of boxers, basketball or football players, but athletic skill wise should be there

This is in being done in waves breaking over 4-5 feet of water and razor sharp reefs.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Flawed list with a lot of recency bias. If you are talking about social and sporting impact I would put Jackie Robinson and Ali ahead of MJ.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: