Ex-Laker Robert Horry Involved in Fight (Video)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
It's really shocking to me to see so many people in this thread saying that he should've "walked away." That's just absurd. If another man is in your face talking greasy and puts his hands on you, you don't walk away. You defend yourself. He was the one who asked you to dance, so dance with him. Horry isn't just a former athlete. He's a person just like you are, and I doubt you'd just "walk away" if another man is disrespecting you and putting his hands on you. And if you would I don't even know what to say to you, honestly. There's nothing virtuous about being a punk. I don't care who you are or where we are- get in my face and get physical and you'll be on the ground looking for your head. Period.

Can only speak for myself but it is more about choosing your battles wisely. What am I fighting for? Protecting myself and loved ones or simply feeding my ego?

I am not a kid that can get into a fight and just worry about getting grounded by my parents. As an adult, there are ramifications to our actions.

One would be the example set. In this case fighting at a youth event? No win here. Everyone looks like an idiot no matter whose in the right.

Secondly, there are legal ramifications. Personally I prefer not getting cited or sued. My job would frown heavily upon my getting any charges. Not everyone has that concern. Many adults do.

Lastly, I'm a big guy. People get hurt when crap escalates. Personally I prefer not putting myself in the position of hurting someone badly or getting hurt badly. Potentially a shove and punch leads to the loser returning with friends, guns and bad intent. Also I prefer not going to work with a busted up face or a broken hand from lading some punches to some fools head.

Or worse, a simple push leads to that same fool landing on his head and getting seriously injured. Or my simple punch crushes his jaw. Or perhaps I'm losing and old instincts kick in and some serious life changing injuries are the result.

Just to be clear . I'm not trying to claim to be some bad ass. Just the opposite. An old guy living in the burbs with a comfortable life. I'm beyond the days when I would throw down for a perceived slight or a bump. I'm an adult now and have to choose when the situation calls for violence. Some idiot running his mouth at a kid's game does not qualify.

For me. You choose your own path. I think that is more of what people are thinking when they say "walk away".

You have a good mindset towards fighting. The thing is I think Horry didn't do much wrong. The other guy was aggressive and push Horry. Horry then took a couple of swings and got the guy to back away and that was the end of it.

Whatelse was he supposed to do? Once someone pushes you, you can't turn your back on them and walk away because that's not safe. I guess Horry could of kept trying to talk to him but the other guy had already been physical with Bob whats the guy going to do next while Bob tries to reason with him?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Never understood the people who get aroused and excited then start to hoot and holler when they see a street fight.

Inadequate genitalia syndrome.

You'll notice that most of the good people usually either help calm the situation down or walk away from those types of situations.

As you can probably already tell - I feel strongly about idiots hooting and hollering and trying to see someone get hurt.

Thank for feeling so.

we must be the change

they have never quieted their minds long enough to know how to communicate with the reptilian mind. They still let the reptilian mind protect their "image" when its purpose is your physical survival..
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Judah wrote:
It's really shocking to me to see so many people in this thread saying that he should've "walked away." That's just absurd. If another man is in your face talking greasy and puts his hands on you, you don't walk away. You defend yourself. He was the one who asked you to dance, so dance with him. Horry isn't just a former athlete. He's a person just like you are, and I doubt you'd just "walk away" if another man is disrespecting you and putting his hands on you. And if you would I don't even know what to say to you, honestly. There's nothing virtuous about being a punk. I don't care who you are or where we are- get in my face and get physical and you'll be on the ground looking for your head. Period.

Can only speak for myself but it is more about choosing your battles wisely. What am I fighting for? Protecting myself and loved ones or simply feeding my ego?

I am not a kid that can get into a fight and just worry about getting grounded by my parents. As an adult, there are ramifications to our actions.

One would be the example set. In this case fighting at a youth event? No win here. Everyone looks like an idiot no matter whose in the right.

Secondly, there are legal ramifications. Personally I prefer not getting cited or sued. My job would frown heavily upon my getting any charges. Not everyone has that concern. Many adults do.

Lastly, I'm a big guy. People get hurt when crap escalates. Personally I prefer not putting myself in the position of hurting someone badly or getting hurt badly. Potentially a shove and punch leads to the loser returning with friends, guns and bad intent. Also I prefer not going to work with a busted up face or a broken hand from lading some punches to some fools head.

Or worse, a simple push leads to that same fool landing on his head and getting seriously injured. Or my simple punch crushes his jaw. Or perhaps I'm losing and old instincts kick in and some serious life changing injuries are the result.

Just to be clear . I'm not trying to claim to be some bad ass. Just the opposite. An old guy living in the burbs with a comfortable life. I'm beyond the days when I would throw down for a perceived slight or a bump. I'm an adult now and have to choose when the situation calls for violence. Some idiot running his mouth at a kid's game does not qualify.

For me. You choose your own path. I think that is more of what people are thinking when they say "walk away".

You have a good mindset towards fighting. The thing is I think Horry didn't do much wrong. The other guy was aggressive and push Horry. Horry then took a couple of swings and got the guy to back away and that was the end of it.

Whatelse was he supposed to do? Once someone pushes you, you can't turn your back on them and walk away because that's not safe. I guess Horry could of kept trying to talk to him but the other guy had already been physical with Bob whats the guy going to do next while Bob tries to reason with him?

Perhaps I missed some details of the story. Do we know who was right or wrong? If anyone was?

The clip I saw was about 20 secs. What happened before?

For all we know this could have been escalating for a half hour or related to a previous game or as idiotic as they have hated each other since high school.

Walking away can also mean choosing not to engage in the initial argument. Or along that path before that first shove or swing. Likely there were plenty of opportunities to use good judgement well before that recording started. No one chose to take them.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Yup, this is exactly what happened in this incident:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=179906
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

In MN/ND in past half year or so there have been three cases of someone getting punched, hitting their head on the ground and dying. All of them were dumb bar fights and now suddenly people are facing murder charges. One of them was a fight between like three people with all sides throwing punches so that's one thing. But one was just groups yapping, disrespecting, I'm sure, and a punch gets thrown, guy hits head and dies.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

And I think your line of thinking is insane. This is some Byron Scott level macho stuff right there. A guy half your size talks smack to you and puts hands on you, and your only option is to starting throwing punches and escalate the situation? And you consider that "defending yourself"? Clearly the other guy is an idiot. What exactly did Horry gain here? Now he's hoping this blows over and doesn't affect his TV appearances. But hey, I guess he showed everyone how tough he is. I guess he can keep his "man card."

Sports analogy: this is like sending in the 13th guy on the end of the bench to go bait Kobe into a fight to get him ejected. Don't fall for it. Horry fell for it.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

A grown man in his mid 40's should have figured out how to avoid these situations. It's not that hard really, I can name dozens of star ex-athletes that manage to.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
I have zero doubts that other dude started/instigated this. But unfortunately for Big Shot, "self defense" and protecting yourself against trash talk isn't really a thing. Doubtful anyone would believe he was in eminent danger. Hope dude doesn't gouge Rob too badly...

Straw hat put his hands on Horry. You don't get to put your hands on people.

OK I thought dudebro was talking trash and talking trash and talking trash and then Rob pushed him, he pushed back and then Rob started the beat down. That's what I meant by I have no doubt that dude bro instigated things. However if dudebro came out of pocket and pushed Rob first...I mean it's still hardly as if Rob was in imminent danger IMO but it is a different discussion for sure.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

That's more fight than he ever put on defense.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
I have zero doubts that other dude started/instigated this. But unfortunately for Big Shot, "self defense" and protecting yourself against trash talk isn't really a thing. Doubtful anyone would believe he was in eminent danger. Hope dude doesn't gouge Rob too badly...

Straw hat put his hands on Horry. You don't get to put your hands on people.

OK I thought dudebro was talking trash and talking trash and talking trash and then Rob pushed him, he pushed back and then Rob started the beat down. That's what I meant by I have no doubt that dude bro instigated things. However if dudebro came out of pocket and pushed Rob first...I mean it's still hardly as if Rob was in imminent danger IMO but it is a different discussion for sure.

Impossible to know for sure since the video starts late. All I can see is that when it starts strawbro was already in Rob's personal space. You poke a bear enough and it's gonna maul you.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Let's see you guard people bigger and heavier than you every night. Power forwards still had "power" in Rob's day.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
It's really shocking to me to see so many people in this thread saying that he should've "walked away."

I wish I could say it is shocking to me to see someone advocate for taking the low road and resorting to violence when it's not necessary. But unfortunately we live in a world were some people have poor priorities.

Quote:
That's just absurd.

No. It's not. It's the reasonable and rational reaction.

Encouraging the escalation of verbal and minor confrontations is what's absurd.

It's also completely asinine at a youth event.

Quote:
If another man is in your face talking greasy and puts his hands on you, you don't walk away. You defend yourself. He was the one who asked you to dance, so dance with him.

Oh jeez. Talk about a walking cliche for idiotic Bro mentality.

Quote:
Horry isn't just a former athlete. He's a person just like you are, and I doubt you'd just "walk away" if another man is disrespecting you and putting his hands on you.

I would, because I think with my brain, not the thing between my legs. This "disrespecting" thing is silly, insecure nonsense. Respect yourself and don't allow some immature moron goad you into lowering yourself to their pathetic level.

Quote:
And if you would I don't even know what to say to you, honestly.

Honestly, I don't care whether you have something to say on that or not, because having seen your opinion on the matter, it's not worth thinking about.

Quote:
There's nothing virtuous about being a punk.

Fighting unnecessarily is being a "punk", so you are actually right on that one.

Having perspective and priories in line is called being an wise and responsible adult.

Quote:
I don't care who you are or where we are- get in my face and get physical and you'll be on the ground looking for your head. Period.

Good for you. Just don't pretend that is a virtuous or admirable reaction to a pointless and minor confrontation.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Let's see you guard people bigger and heavier than you every night. Power forwards still had "power" in Rob's day.

I've done that plenty in the past. What he may lack in bulk, he still had an advantage with length. With a little more dedication on that end, he could've been much better.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
I just don't understand why famous people do this. Horry played in the NBA for 10-15 years and endured endless heckling, and one guy comes up to you and baits you, and you go for it? I just don't get it. So dumb.

Looks like the guy throws some at him first though. There ain't even a ref to handle him a tech so it's hard to not to respond.

Horry very clearly pushes the guy in the back first, then the guy turns around obviously mad about it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
It's really shocking to me to see so many people in this thread saying that he should've "walked away." That's just absurd. If another man is in your face talking greasy and puts his hands on you, you don't walk away. You defend yourself. .

I don't know how old you are, but at a certain age you learn (hopefully) that you can usually defend yourself best by walking away and not engaging with idiots. With rare exception, punching someone is usually not about defending yourself, but about testosterone, ego or lack of control.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I've done that plenty in the past.

Yeah me too -- it wears on you no matter how good or determined you are.

Quote:

What he may lack in bulk, he still had an advantage with length. With a little more dedication on that end, he could've been much better.

He wasn't longer than Chris Webber, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Rasheed Wallace, etc. He'd be a much better four today. In his era he was a true tweener.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Vin wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
I just don't understand why famous people do this. Horry played in the NBA for 10-15 years and endured endless heckling, and one guy comes up to you and baits you, and you go for it? I just don't get it. So dumb.

Looks like the guy throws some at him first though. There ain't even a ref to handle him a tech so it's hard to not to respond.

Horry very clearly pushes the guy in the back first, then the guy turns around obviously mad about it.

Unless there's a longer video out there we don't really know who did what first. From the looks of it that confrontation had already gotten weird by the time the video starts. I don't think strawbro was up in Horry's grill to congratulate him on his rings.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Vin wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

I didn't see that the first time I watched it. Yeah that wasn't a good look for Rob but the other guy is in his face. Idk a little more video would be nice but he should of had a body guard with him to handle the situation
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Vin wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

I didn't see that the first time I watched it. Yeah that wasn't a good look for Rob but the other guy is in his face. Idk a little more video would be nice but he should have a body guard with him to handle situations like this

Yeah anything could have happened before the video, but just going by the video you see Horry push the guy and if anything the guy is defending himself. Which honestly he's doesn't appear to be in danger from Horry, but definitely upset about being pushed and rightfully so.
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

He wasn't a bad defender. Stu always commented about Horry doing "the things that do not necessarily show up on the stat sheets."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: