OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1725, 1726, 1727 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

With NY and Houston seeking a 3rd team, we should try to get back Ariza.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

They are looking for a third team to take on Ryan Anderson not Trevor Ariza.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Good luck with that at $20mil per for 3 seasons.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
gng930 wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
The Lakers don't need to worry about the Warriors. By 2019, when they have a shot at competing, the Warriors will not be able to keep the big 4 together. At that point, their Luxury Tax bill will be almost 100 million, there's no way the owners will pay that, no way.

Unless of course they do pay it.

Yeah, brilliant analysis as always VLF.

Compared to making something up with no basis of support? GS has shown they will pay for a winner, assuming they won't is fiction.

Oh have they ? They paid no luxury tax last year. 2017-18 is the first year that there's any "proof" that they would be willing to do so and that's at only $40 million in tax. In 2018-2019 the tax will be $90 million when Durant gets paid and he will. The total payroll will be almost $250 million. The reason he didn't take a max deal this year was to sign other players, not to save the team from a tax bill. They'll pay him or he'll leave.
The following year Klay is due and that will push them over $150 million in taxes and a payroll of over $350 million. The contracts are already signed for the others. Is that making something up?

Yes, because everything they have done is geared toward winning. They paid handsomely for Iggy and Livingston this offseason. Next offseason they will take care of Durant and then Klay. They have made no indication that they will let money impact winning. You can have your opinion but it isn't backed up by what GS has been doing.

I wasn't aware that they had been paying $250 million in salaries and taxes if that's what you mean by "what they've been doing". You're making the assumption that there is no amount they won't pay. I think my assumption is more rooted in logic. There's no way they can keep the team together, as constructed, more than 1-2 years.
Take a look at Larry Coon's Salary Cap page. At $4 for every dollar over the cap, it adds up quick . Without dumping one of the Big 4 they're 50 million over in 3 years. Do the math on that.

Eye-popping numbers for sure. I wonder if seat licensing that they're going to start with in the new arena will make up for it though. I'm hearing numbers in the $300 million range

Nothing comes close to covering that much payroll and tax. The newest CBA was designed to keep teams from spending. The tax is $4.50 per dollar at $20 million and then increases in increments of .50 for every $5 million over that. The tax is enormous and no team can pay it for long without losing hundreds of millions of dollars
This is why I keep preaching to all that will listen that there is no way that GS will continue as a dynasty. One or two years is all they have. The Lakers are in a much better position to create a sustainable dynasty.

The repeater tax wouldn't kick in until the 2020-2021 season

At that point they'd be at 400 million in salaries and taxes. The Big 4 will be no more.

Trade Klay for a solid 3 and D sophomore/junior player. Save money and mostly replace value

I think that's all they can do
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

We can try this trade with cash and a pick going back to New York.

TRADE
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

TRADE

lol that's a wild trade
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Missed the news somewhat on the three training camp fodder--Briante Weber, Stephen Zimmerman, VJ Beachem.

All of them are flawed and I'd be surprised if any make it to the main roster.

Beachem is "the tease"--he's the guy who at first sight in an empty gym you say he looks like an NBA player, but everything unravels within the game. He has very good athleticism and a strong desire to launch from range. The problem is the concept of both is way greater than the actual result--Beachem shies away from the paint, shies away from contact and has zero ballhandling skill to speak of that it renders all his athleticism worthless on the offensive end of the court. And even his jumper is just more OK than anything. Beachem might be able defensively, what with his athleticism, his knack for blocking shots without picking up fouls, but things like ball pressure and defensive boarding are completely foreign concepts to him. Good luck trying to teach this old dog new tricks. Think Tony Snell has the upside, and even Tony Snell is just boring.

Zimmerman is just blase--he has no real upside--there is nothing in the green or even light green in any of his upside metrics. He's too old school--his foundation is in his ability to d-board and block shots, but he's subpar in lateral reactivity and athleticism. Also, don't let the idea of him developing a jumper get in your head--he was awful at it in college. Plays like Dwight Powell at best.

Weber is a super tough customer with a ginormous knack for stealing the ball, but subpar athleticism undermines some of that for the NBA game. His jumper isn't as bad as what you'd expect, but the biggest issue is the guy lacks range, which is just absolutely essential in today's lead guard, especially if you lack athleticism. Weber's court vision is just OK at best as well, so between a lack of range, athleticism, and vision, this really, really hurts on O, and the D metrics while great are hampered by the lack of ath somewhat.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

TRADE

lol that's a wild trade

I know. So many players just to make it work. New Yorks return on Melo would be decent at least with Hart, Nance and Eric Gordan.

It will be interesting to see who the 3rd team ends up being. I am just daydreaming of a way to shed Deng.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Here is one more for max cap clearance.

TRADE

Bucks get good return for Monroe.

Rockets get a starting lineup of Paul, Harden, Melo, Ryan Anderson and Capela.

Knicks get 6th man of the year along with a very fit Julius Randle and perhaps a future pick from the Rockets or Lakers.

Lakers get decent bench players, clear playing time at PF for Kuzma (though Nance would start) AND max cap space next summer!
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:

TRADE

Knicks get 6th man of the year along with a very fit Julius Randle and perhaps a future pick from the Rockets or Lakers.

Lakers get decent bench players, clear playing time at PF for Kuzma (though Nance would start) AND max cap space next summer!

Knicks get reamed on that one. Actually whoever gets Deng in any trade gets reamed.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

TRADE

Knicks get reamed on that one. Actually whoever gets Deng in any trade gets reamed.

Considering they want to get rid of Melo, getting Randle and Gordon along Deng is not a bad thing for a rebuilding team. They keep Deng around for one year or two, stretch his contract and get a 6MOTY, plus a very good fit to pair with Kristaps.

Among all the crazy trading ideas people post around here, that's one of the best. It's hard to pull it with 4 team, but I see clear gains for all teams involved.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:

TRADE

Are you trying to tank or something? You'd give up Randle, Clarkson and Zubac for Ariza, Monroe and Quartermain?

https://media.tenor.com/images/0567f6475c08bf534c8ca4985582f4af/tenor.gif
farzadkavari
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

TRADE

lol that's a wild trade

Why is there always some Laker fans that want the same former players back? Ariza was solid in his time in LA but he is passed his prime. Time to discover new talent. Whats in your memories wont always translate to current situation.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

TRADE

Are you trying to tank or something? You'd give up Randle, Clarkson and Zubac for Ariza, Monroe and Quartermain?

Look it another way: it's Deng, two players we'll hardly keep if we pursue the 2 Max plan and, unfortunately, a promising young Center, for 3 expiring contracts.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

I understand these trades are being suggested in order to satisfy the obsession with max salary but they are so far from my preference they are depressing me.

Because I have a sinking feeling the FO is also sitting around coming up with similar crazy trade ideas to gut the team for the dream of 2 max slots next summer.

I like this roster. Prefer they play it out ans see what they have before trading away young talent. Can easily re-assess next summer when they actually have an idea of what they have on the roster.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

farzadkavari wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

TRADE

lol that's a wild trade

Why is there always some Laker fans that want the same former players back? Ariza was solid in his time in LA but he is passed his prime. Time to discover new talent. Whats in your memories wont always translate to current situation.

Agreed plus Houston stated that they are not trying to move Ariza. That ship sailed long ago.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

TRADE

lol that's a wild trade

Agreed plus Houston stated that they are not trying to move Ariza. That ship sailed long ago.

You're right Houston needs Ariza's defense, and Melo is better off at PF at this stage of his career.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
farzadkavari wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

TRADE

lol that's a wild trade

Houston is not really in the drivers seat considering they want Melo.

I don't care about Ariza, I care about expiring deals.

In New Yorks mind, I would imagine they would rather lose Melo for nothing next summer than to get saddled with Ryan Anderson's contract for 3 years.

At least in my proposal they get Deng but they get a nice young talent in Randle.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

TRADE

No. Ariza can contribute what Clarkson does. Monroe is an added offensive boost off the bench.

The risk is if Kuzma is as good as we think. PF minutes go to Nance/Kuzma instead of Randle/Nance.

While I am hoping for a nice year from Randle, I don't think he will be All Star caliber and I don't think the switch to Nance/Kuzma would hurt us all that much. They could be better than Randle on defense.

Disclaimer: My head says Randle will be who he has always been. My heart wants him with us and for him to break out and be a BEAST.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

Anyone worried that Melo may be the 2nd "max" next summer with LBJ via trade?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

I worry LBJ is the first max
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Are you thinking lakers are in on melo? Anything is possible but I think melo is dead set on Houston.

My vibe lately (and this is just imo) is that Lebron is the one coming for sure. PG13 I'm not quite sure, he could go either way. I feel like their plan is getting Lebron in and then Lebron can recruit someone else, whether it be PG13, Cousins, Westbrook or another star.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
The Lakers don't need to worry about the Warriors. By 2019, when they have a shot at competing, the Warriors will not be able to keep the big 4 together. At that point, their Luxury Tax bill will be almost 100 million, there's no way the owners will pay that, no way.

They're going to make so much money off their new arena and the PSLs that they are going to make their STHs pay for when they move that Lacob may very well be able to afford previously unheard of taxes- at least for a few years longer than anyone previously thought.

They may be able to keep it together financially until the team starts to decline because of age, injuries or other issues. Their new arena is going to put them in a financial class that only the Lakers and Knicks currently occupy.

I wouldn't count on that. PSL's are a one time source of income. The economics aren't there. Look at this graphic
https://mobile.twitter.com/JonesOnTheNBA/status/881739726213873664/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Flarrybrownsports.com%2Fbasketball%2Fwarriors-1-2-billion-luxury-taxes-four-years%2F379687
No NBA team has that kind of revenue stream, not even the Lakers. Ownership would need to forego all profits and supplement several hundred millions of dollars in operating costs. That is not going to happen. The Luxury Tax was set at 4.50 to 1.00 to control team spending. No team can afford to lose that much.

The numbers are interesting. They will resign Durant in 2018, make another title run, and consider major roster changes in 2019. Dominance for two more years.

I think if they can keep the big four at around 130M, they will. The ring chasers will join at low salary, and it's possible to keep the team dominant at around 150M.

About $150 million equals $250 million with taxes. That won't happen

Agreed. I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that GS will for sure 'pay whatever'. With no changes to the roster they will spend $1.2B over the next four years just on slalary and luxury tax.

They are currently worth $2.6B. No sane person is spending close to half of a firm's value on salary and tax over a four year period.

Disagree the past 3 years they've managed to increase their earnings each year 2015 168 million 2016 201 million 2017 301 million if they continue that trend I don't see why they wouldn't be able to pay them.

They are going to move in the new arena in San Francisco Downtown in a short time, owners already said many times they'll pay whatever taxes are needed to win.

The arena won't be opening until 2019-2020, that's hardly around the corner. At that point their player salary obligations would be $375 million a year. They showed $303 million in total revenue last year. Revenue jumped dramatically in 2016 because of the new TV deal. There won't be a similar jump in revenue in the coming years
Expenses also include coaches salaries, support staff, travel expenses, advertising and debt service for the new arena. What would you expect ownership to say " Sorry, even if we're winning we can't afford to lose that much money"?
What's the good news? The Lakers will be much better positioned financially than the Warriors, or any other club in the coming years.

2019 is exactly whey younsaid they'll dismantle a dynasty winning team.
as you can see, odds of it happening are about -20,000%
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Are you thinking lakers are in on melo? Anything is possible but I think melo is dead set on Houston.

My vibe lately (and this is just imo) is that Lebron is the one coming for sure. PG13 I'm not quite sure, he could go either way. I feel like their plan is getting Lebron in and then Lebron can recruit someone else, whether it be PG13, Cousins, Westbrook or another star.

If no PG13/Boogie/WB, I can see (gulp) the Lakers taking Melo of the Knicks' hands as a backup plan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1725, 1726, 1727 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1726 of 1813
Jump to: