Does Magic's role with the rising Dodgers give you confidence in his role with the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

Magic's role with the Dodgers is not the same role he has with the Lakers.

MJST wrote:
Magic's surrounded by about 6 other guys that know what they're doing more and have a higher stake in the Dodgers than he does, he essentially is their mascot owner at this point.

With Lakers, he has a lot more power than he does with the Dodgers.

^ THIS.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

Yes, you have a feeling he will make correct basketball decisions.

Especially with Rob Pilinka in there also.

With Mitch and JIm they were so secretive and they
kept making terrible mistakes.

The Mosgov/Deng mistakes were the straw that broke the
camels back. They were terrible, but nobody had the guts to say they were.

With Magic he is right out with the direction of the Lakers.
And the media and fans can judge and criticize.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Maybe it's not Magic at all. Maybe its Peter Guber who is responsible for the Dodgers success.

He is a minority owner in the Dodgers but also the Warriors. Midas touch!!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

Magic gives me confidence because everything he's done, except for a brief stint as talk show host, has been successful. High school state champion, NCAA champion, 5 time NBA champion, champion as a part-owner, successful businessman, etc. The prior front office's accomplishments were simple...being lucky enough to have a father like Dr. Buss. It's pretty easy to see who'd you rather have running your organization. That is, if you like winning. If you don't, and you enjoy being in the lottery every year and tanking, then maybe you miss the dude in the dirty hat.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

I was wrong about Magic. He's done a good job so far.

Btw, I dont give Magic much credit for the Dodgers. I give credit to Stan Kasten, Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi, the scouts and player development guys, Dave Roberts and the players mostly.

I give Magic a lot of credit so far with what happen to the Lakers though.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I was wrong about Magic. He's done a good job so far.

Btw, I dont give Magic much credit for the Dodgers. I give credit to Stan Kasten, Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi, the scouts and player development guys, Dave Roberts and the players mostly.

I give Magic a lot of credit so far with what happen to the Lakers though.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

The disdain for Magic here is nearly unbearable. So what he was wrong about certain prospects on twitter a few years back. The guy is smarter in business & basketball than everyone else on this forum. His track record is undeniable. Yes, Friedman & Zaidi were amazing hires for the Dodgers, but as co-owner he should get some credit for that, along with the whole change in Dodger's culture.

Magic has done a great job so far with the Lakers. Behind that smile he's a killer & he's shrewd. He didn't wait to fire Mitch & Jim, where most people would have just wait till the off-season. He saw change was needed and he did that immediately. Like any smart business person would. For whatever reason they felt DLO had to be moved months before they actually moved him. They didn't sit on their hands and wait to see what would happened if he stayed. They saw that he had to be moved and they did it. Two coaching staffs & Popovich can't all be wrong, right?

Magic is synonymous with winning and success. I give him some credit for the Dodger and so far I think he's been great for the Lakers.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Yes, you have a feeling he will make correct basketball decisions.

Especially with Rob Pilinka in there also.

With Mitch and JIm they were so secretive and they
kept making terrible mistakes.

The Mosgov/Deng mistakes were the straw that broke the
camels back. They were terrible, but nobody had the guts to say they were.

With Magic he is right out with the direction of the Lakers.
And the media and fans can judge and criticize.

Hypothetically speaking, I feel that if Magic was in charge a few years earlier, the league would have not vetoed the Chris Paul trade. They wouldn't dare. We definitely wouldn't have lost Gasol & Lamar for nothing. We would have properly identified Howard's value to our team. We would have never begged him to stay. He probably would have been traded before season's end to be honest. We might have been able to convince Kobe on signing a good, but not ridiculous contract. We probably would have had a shot at Lebron after he left the Heat. We would definitely have gotten a face to face with Lebron & Durant.

Sorry, but those are some of the things I felt would have happened if someone like Magic was in charge.

Oh, and yes, no MozDeng...
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

His role on the Sparks is probably more relevant to any decisions he makes with this Laker team.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Aren't the Dodgers big on analytics?

Have the Lakers brought in someone to run their analytics section?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

[edit] Read it wrong.

Last edited by epak on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

No, they got rid of the head of analytics and haven't replaced him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Is the new management team even responsible for how well the Dodgers are doing? Give them Chris Taylor and Alex Wood, but every big gun, even Bellinger, was acquired under Ned Colletti's watch.

They swung for Yu which I think (hope) will pay off in the playoffs. But yes, the core guys on the squad are all from the previous regime. These kids just happened to be borught up from the minors in the last 2-3 years so Friedman and company are now reaping the benefits.

As far as the OP, Magic has absolutely ZERO to do with the Dodgesr success. Kind of insulting to the baseball people in the organization to even suggest that. That doesn't mean he won't make a positive impact on the Lakers because I'm very confident that we're going to be good and relevant again very soon.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

The Dodgers arguably use analytics more than anyone. Friedman and Zaidi are notorious for being progressive with their use of it.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Is the new management team even responsible for how well the Dodgers are doing? Give them Chris Taylor and Alex Wood, but every big gun, even Bellinger, was acquired under Ned Colletti's watch.

They swung for Yu which I think (hope) will pay off in the playoffs. But yes, the core guys on the squad are all from the previous regime. These kids just happened to be borught up from the minors in the last 2-3 years so Friedman and company are now reaping the benefits.

Why does this seem so familiar..
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Whether he was solely responsible for the Dodgers or not responsible at all, I don't see how it's relevant to the Lakers.

Agree with that. I know nothing about baseball, but even if he's the mastermind behind Dodgers success, the impact on the Lakers is null, it's another sport, another situation, another business. I feel good he's somehow part of a turnaround, but it doesn't guarantee anything.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Magic had nothing to do with the dodgers scouting department or general
Management. Only being a miniority owner.

But I will say the dodgers imediately became a whole lot better once Magic and the Guggenheim family Took over as owners.

As far as Magic and Rob taking over in The general management department for the Lakers they got a lot going for them already in their first 6 months.

No way in hell was we expecting upcoming free agents like Paul George, Lebron or Demarcus to even consider us with Jim and Mitch.

Shedding unwanted parts ( Moz and DLO) whether for financial or for team cohesiveness.

Adopting a brand new state of the art training facility. I know it doesn't seem like much but any upcoming free agents wil certainly love using this new facility in a prime location as well.

Hiring Gunnar Peterson imo was huge as well. Athletes and celebrities pay this guy huge bucks to get to train with him. Any upcoming free agent sees this guy as the head trainer for the Lakers gotta know our front office ain't playing any games. Only the best of the best!!!

So yeah long story short to answer the op's question YES, I'm super confident Magic and Co. will turn this thing around

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:

But I will say the dodgers imediately became a whole lot better once Magic and the Guggenheim family Took over as owners.

As far as Magic and Rob taking over in The general management department for the Lakers they got a lot going for them already in their first 6 months.

No way in hell was we expecting upcoming free agents like Paul George, Lebron or Demarcus to even consider us with Jim and Mitch.

Shedding unwanted parts ( Moz and DLO) whether for financial or for team cohesiveness.

Adopting a brand new state of the art training facility. I know it doesn't seem like much but any upcoming free agents wil certainly love using this new facility in a prime location as well.

Hiring Gunnar Peterson imo was huge as well. Athletes and celebrities pay this guy huge bucks to get to train with him. Any upcoming free agent sees this guy as the head trainer for the Lakers gotta know our front office ain't playing any games. Only the best of the best!!!

So yeah long story short to answer the op's question YES, I'm super confident Magic and Co. will turn this thing around

I am pretty sure the new training center wasn't conceived, planned, designed and built since February. If you are going to credit the FO with that it should be Mitch and Jim. Though I wouldn't credit them, and without a doubt wouldn't credit Magic, he had nothing to do with it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:

They've been working on that facility for a while now, way before Maginka.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

None.

His role with the Dodgers is basically a glorified greeter. He has nothing to do with running the team. He was a decoy to get people's attention away from the fact that the new owners are still partnered with Frank McCourt.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Practice wrote:
I don't think Magic actually had a role in what's happened with the Dodgers.

You are probably right. But think of it this way. His association with the Dodgers gives him the aura of success. It may increase the confidence of basketball free agents in his leadership ability.

He's Magic Johnson. Basketball free agents are already going to have confidence in his leadership ability re: basketball. Nothing that being the Ronald McDonald of the Dodgers helps with.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

And we had PG rumblings way before Magic came aboard.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Thank you.

Since he is choosing to go on a path different than the path the Dodgers are on, it isn't logical to use them as an example of how things will turn out for the Lakers.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

And we had PG rumblings way before Magic came aboard.

I did say Maginka adopted the facilty as a selling point. They came aboard right in time. Jeannie knew what she was doing.

An as for PG-13 you couldn't be more wrong. His camp didn't leak out a single word with anything to do with the Lakers organization until Magic was hired.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Magic has been an entrepreneur for a long time now, and I'm sure he's learned a lot in that role and read lots of books on how to be an effective leader in a business or corporate environment.

Magic isn't just a pretty face with a cool smile and personality. Any successful entrepreneur knows they have to surround themselves with capable people to delegate the nuts and bolts to. He doesn't necessarily have to be the smartest or most knowledgeable one in the room, as long as they hire people who are smarter or more knowledgeable than them.

Not sure if that's what Magic did with the Dodgers, but he's probably much smarter than he seems sometimes. I feel like the Lakers are in good hands with Magic and his many years of business experience.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: