Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Zeke suspended 6 games, and will appeal. Should make Fantasy drafts a lot more interesting

I hope Goodell gets slapped. The authorities found no evidence and cleared Zeke. I guess Roger wants to give the appearance the NFL won't tolerate abuse. Elliott plans to appeal. I hope he wins.

I tend to agree. Ezekiel is innocent of any alleged crime. Though, I don't think we can say authorities found no evidence. I heard there was plenty of evidence just not enough with which to file a criminal charge.

Even though I cannot defend his or Ray's or whoever else's actions, if you did not commit a crime, then I find it a bit unfair to penalize him, his team and his fans for thinking he is a jerk.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Zeke suspended 6 games, and will appeal. Should make Fantasy drafts a lot more interesting

I hope Goodell gets slapped. The authorities found no evidence and cleared Zeke. I guess Roger wants to give the appearance the NFL won't tolerate abuse. Elliott plans to appeal. I hope he wins.

I tend to agree. Ezekiel is innocent of any alleged crime. Though, I don't think we can say authorities found no evidence. I heard there was plenty of evidence just not enough with which to file a criminal charge.

Even though I cannot defend his or Ray's or whoever else's actions, if you did not commit a crime, then I find it a bit unfair to penalize him, his team and his fans for thinking he is a jerk.

The league felt he violated player personal conduct policy, which doesn't necessitate a player be convicted of a crime or even arrested. Being accused by multiple women of domestic violence and being videoed lifting the bathing suit top of a female in public does seem to be enough smoke for there to be a fire.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

The league felt he violated player personal conduct policy, which doesn't necessitate a player be convicted of a crime or even arrested. Being accused by multiple women of domestic violence and being videoed lifting the bathing suit top of a female in public does seem to be enough smoke for there to be a fire.

Still a tough one for me. I equally, would not have been in favor of Kobe being suspended for 30 games for his incident either.

For you to be ok with Zeke's, you'd have to have supported in theory the same treatment to Kobe in spite of him not being guilty.

Look at the birdman allegations too. He was effectively punished before the investigation and it too turned out to be false.

I hear you, I just don't like it.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Still a tough one for me. I equally, would not have been in favor of Kobe being suspended for 30 games for his incident either.

For you to be ok with Zeke's, you'd have to have supported in theory the same treatment to Kobe in spite of him not being guilty.

Look at the birdman allegations too. He was effectively punished before the investigation and it too turned out to be false.

Had Kobe been accused of rape by multiple women, in multiple states, over the course of a few years, then yeah I'd think completely different about that one night in Colorado and would support the NBA suspending him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Michael Lombardi tweeted that the NFL apparently has pictures, I assume of the women's injuries. Now, that doesn't prove that they got those injuries because Elliott assaulted them, but...somebody else said it, where there's smoke, there's fire.

And the Kobe thing was definitely different. It was one accuser/one incident, and the woman had "highly questionable" credibility, let's just say.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

NFL is above the law

I think it is really counterproductive to fine the whole NFL fan base ..suspending this superstar.. Kobe wasn't suspended

I believe mandatory counseling etc for first offenses especially if no indictment was ever brought..

You want the law to be fair and just then it also better be blind.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

NFL is above the law

I think it is really counterproductive to fine the whole NFL fan base ..suspending this superstar.. Kobe wasn't suspended

I believe mandatory counseling etc for first offenses especially if no indictment was ever brought..

But the NFL is not a criminal court. That's not the standard they go by, it's not "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt." You can look at it more like a civil court's standard, like how OJ was found guilty of murder in civil court. If the NFL thinks it's more likely than not that he was guilty of domestic violence, they have the right to suspend him. Obviously, he has the right to appeal, he has appealed, and this could drag on for a year like when Brady appealed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

The NFL is playing by its own rules. They're saying he violated league policy. I think they're using the lifting of the young ladies blouse to make the case.

If they're using that incident, why didn't they issue a suspension at that time?

Is there a clarification reason for suspension?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Michael Lombardi tweeted that the NFL apparently has pictures, I assume of the women's injuries. Now, that doesn't prove that they got those injuries because Elliott assaulted them, but...somebody else said it, where there's smoke, there's fire.

And the Kobe thing was definitely different. It was one accuser/one incident, and the woman had "highly questionable" credibility, let's just say.

IMO Kobe entered the female but it wasn't sexual assault, it was consensual. She got what she went after, MONEY.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Honest question: have you ever NOT supported the male star athlete in any issue, whether it be sexual assault, dog murdering, people murdering or violent assault?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

NFL is above the law

But the NFL is not a criminal court. That's not the standard they go by, it's not "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt." You can look at it more like a civil court's standard, like how OJ was found guilty of murder in civil court. If the NFL thinks it's more likely than not that he was guilty of domestic violence, they have the right to suspend him. Obviously, he has the right to appeal, he has appealed, and this could drag on for a year like when Brady appealed.

Then, as embarrassing as this is to say, they might want to coordinate this with the high schools and colleges so these young men really get the picture earlier in life.

I understand the civil side I just think if they are going into the home the "punishment" should be something that helps heal... imho I think our desire to punish has infected our hearts ..
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Honest question: have you ever NOT supported the male star athlete in any issue, whether it be sexual assault, dog murdering, people murdering or violent assault?

If this was directed to me, Yes I didn't support Ray Rice, O J or Michael Vick.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

The NFL is playing by its own rules. They're saying he violated league policy. I think they're using the lifting of the young ladies blouse to make the case.

If they're using that incident, why didn't they issue a suspension at that time?

Is there a clarification reason for suspension?

They are not using the lifting of the lady's blouse in their ruling. In fact, and I can't find it now, they completely disregarded it but called it "disturbing".
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Had Kobe been accused of sexual assault by multiple women, in multiple states, over the course of a few years, then yeah I'd think completely different about that one night in Colorado and would support the NBA suspending him.

Wait what? First, I thought Zeke's ruling was limited to the lone incident with the one girl, not multiple women.

Second, I thought you were justifying their actions because they felt Elliot was violating the personal conduct policy.

The Kobe case is exactly why I don't agree with what they are doing. Unlike the Elliot case, Kobe's had enough evidence to be charged in a criminal court. Zeke's didn't afaik.

This is why I don't like it. Trust me, I hate what Zeke allegedly did, but I think you end up on a very slippery slope when you go down a route where you disregard the charges. Again, see what happened to Birdman. False allegations yet he was cut from his team for it. Just wrong IMO.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Just to clarify on the "pulling down the blouse" incident... it was NOT factored in in the investigation

Quote:
In March of this year, Elliott was seen in videos and photos pulling down a woman's shirt and exposing her breast on the roof of a Dallas bar during a St. Patrick's Day parade. Last month, Elliott was involved in an incident at another Dallas bar that initially sparked an assault investigation before police suspended their probe. That incident, however, was never part of the NFL's completed probe, a source with knowledge of the investigation told Rapoport and Pelissero.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828558/article/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspended-six-games-by-nfl
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

If this was directed to me, Yes I did support Ray Rice, O J or Michael Vick.

Wot. FIFY

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Just to clarify on the "pulling down the blouse" incident... it was NOT factored in in the investigation

Quote:
In March of this year, Elliott was seen in videos and photos pulling down a woman's shirt and exposing her breast on the roof of a Dallas bar during a St. Patrick's Day parade. Last month, Elliott was involved in an incident at another Dallas bar that initially sparked an assault investigation before police suspended their probe. That incident, however, was never part of the NFL's completed probe, a source with knowledge of the investigation told Rapoport and Pelissero.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828558/article/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspended-six-games-by-nfl

IMO this is unfair.

Quote:
The policy states: "In cases where a player is not charged with a crime, or is charged but not convicted, he may still be found to have violated the policy if the credible evidence establishes that he engaged in conduct prohibited by this personal conduct policy."

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Wot. FIFY

In both OJ and Vick cases I supported the system. I challenge you. Show me one of my posts that supported either's actions.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

IMO this is unfair.

Quote:
The policy states: "In cases where a player is not charged with a crime, or is charged but not convicted, he may still be found to have violated the policy if the credible evidence establishes that he engaged in conduct prohibited by this personal conduct policy."

I tend to agree. But I see the other side too ... just curious, how do you feel about Sterling being ousted and banned from the NBA? He didn't DO anything illegal, he was just recorded, in a private conversation, saying some very unpopular things.

Do you agree with that ruling? If you do, how is it different than what the NFL is doing here?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

IMO this is unfair.

Quote:

I tend to agree. But I see the other side too ... just curious, how do you feel about Sterling being ousted and banned from the NBA? He didn't DO anything illegal, he was just recorded, in a private conversation, saying some very unpopular things.

Do you agree with that ruling? If you do, how is it different than what the NFL is doing here?

Yes I agree with the decision. Are you actually comparing domestic abuse to racism?

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Wot. FIFY

In both OJ and Vick cases I supported the system. I challenge you. Show me one of my posts that supported either's actions.

The system won here. Yet you continue to support the players. You have 40k posts, I can go back but you'd probably die of old age before I can get to all your posts.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

IMO this is unfair.

Quote:

Yes I agree with the decision. Are you actually comparing domestic abuse to racism?

No. I'm comparing two disturbing actions which were not deemed to be crimes.

So while I (and you) hold the position that it is unfair to punish a player when he was not charges or convicted of a crime... I can think of several examples in which no charges were filed yet punishment seemed... warranted.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Wot. FIFY

The system won here. Yet you continue to support the players. You have 40k posts, I can go back but you'd probably die of old age before I can get to all your posts.

You're moving the goal posts. Don't get all get one or two saying I supported OJ or Vick's actions. // I have a response to your age remark but it probably would get me suspended. I don't mind most posters who refer to my age, you're not one of them.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Wot. FIFY

You're moving the goal posts. Don't get all get one or two saying I supported OJ or Vick's actions. // I have a response to your age remark but it probably would get me suspended. I don't mind most posters who refer to my age, you're not one of them.

Please do, the forum might be better off for it.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The Kobe case only proceeded as far as it did because of a racist police force and prosecution team. The accuser bragged about the incident afterward, and there were many reasons that her credibility was terrible, reasons I don't care to go into here. Meanwhile, Kobe gave a cogent, logical story to the detectives that interrogated him. Not to get too graphic, but Kobe claimed that he stopped when the woman asked him to, she left, and then he finished in a white t-shirt. When the detectives sarcastically asked him if he happened to still have that shirt (unwashed), Kobe reached into the bag he had brought into the interrogation room, threw the shirt on the table, and said "there you go." The case was a ridiculously flimsy one, and only got as far as it did because of racists, who were all too happy to order t-shirts with a derogatory quote about Kobe on one side, and a picture of a hangman on the other...ALL WHILE THE CASE WAS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION.

I'm not one who just pulls the race card willy-nilly. But what happened to Kobe was unfair. Not that he was an angel, but I don't believe for a second that he committed rape.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 21 of 115
Jump to: