Lakers ranked #9 for the best off season by David Aldridge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
And he qualifies this by saying "This isn’t science. It’s an educated guess."
To me, he should have spent more time on this. You can disagree and think it's reasonable. I'm just saying it's not reasonable to me.

I don't disagree with your points, but come on. This is just an off-season fluff piece. It's basically filler designed to generate clicks. There are no metrics involved here. This is just a glorified opinion piece.

Oh yea, I agree.
That's why I was resistant to clicking.
But brother above made it seem like DA had a good point.
The rabbit hole... the rabbit hole!

It is what it is.

One reporter made a list of the teams he felt had the best offseason, and he clearly laid out the criteria he used. I found his criteria reasonable, even if I didn't agree with some of his conclusions (and didn't necessarily think his conclusions were based on the stated criteria). It's just for fun and totally subjective, but so what?

And sure he could have worked more on it, but that's always the case. This was just a throwaway filler piece that he probably spent a few hours on. That's the majority of what sportswriters do -- dashed off, simplistic, lightly researched filler.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
To me, he should have spent more time on this. You can disagree and think it's reasonable. I'm just saying it's not reasonable to me.

I don't disagree with your points, but come on. This is just an off-season fluff piece. It's basically filler designed to generate clicks. There are no metrics involved here. This is just a glorified opinion piece.

Oh yea, I agree.

It is what it is.

One reporter made a list of the teams he felt had the best offseason, and he clearly laid out the criteria he used. I found his criteria reasonable, even if I didn't agree with some of his conclusions (and didn't necessarily think his conclusions were based on the stated criteria). It's just for fun and totally subjective, but so what?

And sure he could have worked more on it, but that's always the case. This was just a throwaway filler piece that he probably spent a few hours on. That's the majority of what sportswriters do -- dashed off, simplistic, lightly researched filler.

I hear ya.
I feel like I have to go on LG to get better analysis and real news than from other "news" sites. Crazy times.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
lewis wrote:
nash wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
regardless of the pay, I think Clarkson is a good player to have, a lot better than other realistic options.
I am personally annoyed that we lost Nick Young since he was basically our best 3pt shooter by far. He's one of those guys like Livingston that is going to be able to really let the starters get some solid rest. I hope we make up for it somehow, but right now we don't have anywhere near as deadly a 3pt shooter or hard shot maker like Young, and the warriors, our primary target, got our best one and they already have a handful of better ones. So I was extremely annoyed at that.

Lonzo seems special enough to really distinguish ourselves from the Warriors. but there's still that bottom line that open guys will have to make their 3pt shots. This is going to be key for us, and there's also the great hope that Ingram will emerge. He showed impressive glimpses as we all know that first game in the summer, I was very impressed. Now the volume. TO me, everything else is up in the air and remains to be seen.

While I agree that we will miss Nick 3pts, all our guards from last season 4 guard rotation were abysmal defenders, bottom 10 among PG/SG. We just have Clarkson remaining from this "no defense" crop and I think it is ok keeping one player like him. Two is too much.

Based on summer league, Lonzo will fit in that group as well. At least in his rookie year.

IDK I saw Lonzo getting a lot of steals and blocks.

He has more potential then Clarkson/Young but he was really really easy beat by his man. Harden gets a lot of steals and blocks, but that does not make him a good defender.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo has something harden doesn't on defense: instincts.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:

Oh yea, I agree.

It is what it is.

I hear ya.
I feel like I have to go on LG to get better analysis and real news than from other "news" sites. Crazy times.

Of course you will find more Laker friendly opinions from Laker fans. Stating the obvious.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

Boy, it's a low spot in a dull sports news cycle when anyone even bothers reading those ESPN click-bait articles. Forchristsake, ranking off seasons, before any results can be measured in any meaningful way ??? Hoo-wah ! Sorry, I feel compelled to advise you guys to ignore that kinda noise in the signal.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Not really sure what the Sixers did to be rated so high up this list. They basically added JJ and Markelle.
Indeed
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

I don't care where he ranks us. At the end of next season is where any rankings will mean anything. Predictions are worthless.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

ESPN has us ranked #6 on Team Turnaround for 2017-18 season

Quote:
Looking beyond this season, Tom Haberstroh has the Lakers pegged as the NBA's next super team. But there's more to the Lakers than simply gazing into the future.

Lonzo Ball won Summer League MVP, Brandon Ingram won the unofficial award for "sophomore way too good to be playing in summer league" even if it is just for a single game, and Julius Randle worked toward a ridiculous body transformation. The distractions have departed (Nick Young and D'Angelo Russell) while Brook Lopez is in position to showcase just how good he truly is.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20305393/2017-summer-forecast-team-turnaround

http://www.lakersnation.com/espn-summer-forecast-lists-lakers-as-potential-team-turnaround/2017/08/12/
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Wrong thread

Last edited by nash on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
Looking beyond this season, Tom Haberstroh has the Lakers pegged as the NBA's next super team. But there's more to the Lakers than simply gazing into the future.

Lonzo Ball won Summer League MVP, Brandon Ingram won the unofficial award for "sophomore way too good to be playing in summer league" even if it is just for a single game, and Julius Randle worked toward a ridiculous body transformation. The distractions have departed (Nick Young and D'Angelo Russell) while Brook Lopez is in position to showcase just how good he truly is.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20305393/2017-summer-forecast-team-turnaround

http://www.lakersnation.com/espn-summer-forecast-lists-lakers-as-potential-team-turnaround/2017/08/12/

ESPN had a poll on it and we were 2nd behind the Wolves, so looks like others see our talent as well.
outkast100
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

ESPN had a poll on it and we were 2nd behind the Wolves, so looks like others see our talent as well.

Last piece to turn our summer into solid gold
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9gtshuu

then we keep wade and sign bron and PG13
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

NBA.com has us 1 of the 6 teams on the rise

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2017/08/14/forecasting-six-teams-rise
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
NBA.com has us 1 of the 6 teams on the rise

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2017/08/14/forecasting-six-teams-rise

It's probably not hard to improve on 26 wins, eh ?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Practice wrote:
epak wrote:
Without clicking, off the top of my head on who had better off seasons:

OKC
Houston
Boston
Wolves

Am I missing anyone obvious team?
So is signing your own guy considered a win? Then I guess I can see why GS is #1.

I would consider keeping a championship team together a win.

Yeah, and not just the core pieces. They kept the core and key role players intact AND added help. That is rare.

I guess it comes down to criteria.
Is it about quality of team at end of off-season. Or is it improvement of quality. Cuz it's hard to improve a championship team.

Criteria would be, what would your team look like if you had made zero moves, what does your team look like after you made the moves (be it trades, signing, or resigning) The team with the largest improvement there had a better offseason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: