Laker Film Room (Pg. 91: Pete Signed By Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Do you see Kuzma as more of a 3 now with the potential to be a stretch 4 as well? The reason I'm asking is because a lot of the issues you highlighted seem like they wouldn't be as big of an issue at the 3 to start his career.

I love his potential as a 4 next to Ingram, but I think I like the idea of keeping randle, nance and Kuzma more and I believe it's possible if Kuzma gets most of his minutes at the 3.

I'm a lot more okay with Kuzma at the 3 than I was at the start of Summer League. I still think he's primarily a 4, but I don't think he'd suffer much from playing the 3 instead. I'm usually VERY much against guys playing one position smaller than their natural position, but he's an exception to that rule.

Nice. Yeah I'm all about positionleas basketball. If I could get away with playing Julius at the 1 I would do it just to create the mismatch. Kuzma is quickly becoming one of my favorites because of his versatility.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
sAM sHILE wrote:
IMO, together would have provided a porous backcourt defense. Hence, we have KCP to provide balance

Perhaps, but the same thing would have been said of Steph Curry & Klay Thompson at 21 at 19 years old.

KCP is here for a year, at $18M. We don't really "have" KCP, at least in terms of him being on the roster the next time we have a shot at contending. And if we do, it'll likely mean that we failed to get a max FA and we'll be paying him a LOT more money than we'd be paying Russell.

Russell makes more than $10M less than KCP and we'd have his Bird Rights so that we could go over the cap to re-sign him if necessary. KCP is a good player, but neither of those things are true with him and they matter.

As always, you bring up some good points. But I really can't see either Dlo or Ball being even close to Klay defensively, ever. Not that thats what either needs to be, but it would take some time (a few years) for either to develop into good defenders. And yet, it still may have been worth waiting a couple months into the season before making the decision to trade Dlo. I think the deal they made would have been there in December too.

Yeah, I agree.

What I got from interview though was that Lakers just wanted DAR gone, for whatever reason. in order to give a completely fresh start to Lonzo.

The interview kind of gave me closure on the whole DAR trade. Not because I necessarily agree with or understand all the reasoning, but because it seems like for whatever reason the fit was really not working for either side.

From the interview, it seemed like everyone in building had reached a decision about DAR, and it was not about if, or even when, but how.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Do you see Kuzma as more of a 3 now with the potential to be a stretch 4 as well? The reason I'm asking is because a lot of the issues you highlighted seem like they wouldn't be as big of an issue at the 3 to start his career.

I love his potential as a 4 next to Ingram, but I think I like the idea of keeping randle, nance and Kuzma more and I believe it's possible if Kuzma gets most of his minutes at the 3.

I'm a lot more okay with Kuzma at the 3 than I was at the start of Summer League. I still think he's primarily a 4, but I don't think he'd suffer much from playing the 3 instead. I'm usually VERY much against guys playing one position smaller than their natural position, but he's an exception to that rule.

I'm at the point of where I just say, whatever gets him on the floor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Definitely. I'm imagining a lineup that would have a potentially great defense/offense balance.

I'm anxious to see:

Ball
KCP
Kuzma (subbing for BI in this instance at the 3)
Nance
Lopez- can he stay on the floor when teams go small?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Lopez- can he stay on the floor when teams go small?

Footspeed would be an issue. Nance would have to pick off the lead transition frontcourt player before a switch.

Lopez's boxing out leading to higher defensive rebounding percentages help out A LOT with smaller lineups.

But offensively? Absolutely.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
sAM sHILE wrote:
IMO, together would have provided a porous backcourt defense. Hence, we have KCP to provide balance

Perhaps, but the same thing would have been said of Steph Curry & Klay Thompson at 21 at 19 years old.

KCP is here for a year, at $18M. We don't really "have" KCP, at least in terms of him being on the roster the next time we have a shot at contending. And if we do, it'll likely mean that we failed to get a max FA and we'll be paying him a LOT more money than we'd be paying Russell.

Russell makes more than $10M less than KCP and we'd have his Bird Rights so that we could go over the cap to re-sign him if necessary. KCP is a good player, but neither of those things are true with him and they matter.

I agree the notion that they would have been poor defensively this year is beside the point. DLO/Lonzo had a higher upside than Lonzo/Pope and would have given us one more year to work things out. It was essentially Magic saying I'm taking my shot in 2018 instead of the growing from within approach with a cap plan that would have had some space in '18 and some in '19.

Next year Pope will cost us a similar amount as Russell and Mozgov would have. Sans 2Max if you resign Pope that's probably true for '18-19 as well so there's no real 'cap cost' of the deal at that point. But you did lose some upside potential. In 19-20 Russell's cap hold is $21 million because he was the second pick and the new CBA closed the loop hole pretty well so his bird rights don't provide the same kind of cap management they used to. And that would be if you chose not to extend him which would have been dicey with Lonzo taking over as the alpha.

Magic saw a rich free agent class, limited cap room in the market, is supremely confident in his ability to recruit guys and there's a lot of smoke around a few of the top players wanting to come to LA. Dr. Buss always said it's better to make your move a year too early than a year too late. This could be a case of that. They got lucky with Pope so they don't necessarily get full credit for that as part of their planning, but their decisions did make that possible. Pope is a better natural fit next to Lonzo in some ways as a pretty good defender who can do some things with the ball in his hands but doesn't need it to have an impact.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I'm at the point of where I just say, whatever gets him on the floor.

Exactly. Curious about how they used him at small ball center during summer league though. I'm wondering if that's something they envision him doing in the future as well.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

His length is so crazy

Pete, I have an unrelated question. Why is the college 3pt line shorter than the NBA's? I say this because, if the goal is to get players "NBA ready" then why not make the line the same? I never understood that logic. We saw how it affected the players during Summer League, we saw 6 or 7 times where they stepped out of bounds subconsciously.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
His length is so crazy

Pete, I have an unrelated question. Why is the college 3pt line shorter than the NBA's? I say this because, if the goal is to get players "NBA ready" then why not make the line the same? I never understood that logic. We saw how it affected the players during Summer League, we saw 6 or 7 times where they stepped out of bounds subconsciously.

Roughly 98% of NCAA players don't have a career in basketball after college, let alone the NBA. The college game is already bogged down, an even lower scoring college game would be too dreadful to watch.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Very nicely done. I wish Ingram and the staff would see this video.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Just hit 10K followers on Twitter. Thanks to all of you guys for your support since the beginning. Big things ahead and in the works.

I will say i was one of your earliest Twitter followers.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

GT - got a question for you.

When I watch KK play, he reminds me a ton of Robert Horry - tall, not too physical, very good spot up shooter from deep, not the best going to the basket and finishing, solid defender (especially against 3's or not over-powering 4's). And I think if he is like Horry, he would be a great addition to the team. But I never hear this comparison.

Do you see this as well or am I just missing something?
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Just hit 10K followers on Twitter. Thanks to all of you guys for your support since the beginning. Big things ahead and in the works.

let me hold like 3.5 followers right quick fam
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Congrats. I think the main takeaway I got out of your LFR project was that you slid into someone's DMs and got a girl out of it.

All cause of LFR. I see you.

Congratulations again. I always make sure to check out your vids and twitter.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
akk7 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Congrats. I think the main takeaway I got out of your LFR project was that you slid into someone's DMs and got a girl out of it.

All cause of LFR. I see you.

Congratulations again. I always make sure to check out your vids and twitter.

Hell yeah, man! Nothing better than a woman who loves the Lakers! I was just glad she lives in LA!

Not to get all deep here, but sometimes you have to sit back and realize how funny life plays out at times . Great feel good story there.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Wait, you got a girlfriend off LFR?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

According to the analytics on my YouTube channel, 2.3% of my viewers are women, and I snagged one of 'em!

Well she sounds hideous.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

According to the analytics on my YouTube channel, 2.3% of my viewers are women, and I snagged one of 'em!

Well she sounds hideous.

Now this is funny!! Good for you GT! I was figuring the Lakers were going to hire you! ????? Or maybe ESPN???
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
New Podcast

Dog Days - https://soundcloud.com/user-456873398/dog-days

Nothing like reading a SSR article that is literally about what Ingram and Zubac have said in Instagram comments and thinking "Jesus Christ these are the dog days of summer...wonder if GT did another Podcast yet?"

*Loads Lakersground*

"Dog Days"

Thank (bleep) for the NFL.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Great job, GT.

He's going to have a lot of threes trailing the break this year as the D over commits.

Also think his rebounding (or lack thereof) will help Lonzo with the triple-doubles. Franky, all of his game is made to order for Zo's triple-double action.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
That's awesome, GT. Already bookmarked it. Congratulations!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

Great video. If Julius can be a better perimeter defender (he has shown some flashes), I believe they will be a nice duo.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff GT. I started watching the Lakers in 88-89 when they were at the tail-end of Showtime. Magic was still awesome, but during his last few years, he was the leader of a team that just killed teams in the post. They weren't the fastbreaking machine that they used to be.

The Lakeshow team was the one that really captured my heart. Nick and Eddie influenced my game tremendously. I tried to play defense and fill the lanes like Eddie. I developed a tear drop like Nick. Later on, I even developed Nick's herky jerky style of handling the ball. I'm in my late 30s now and don't get on the court too often, but when I do, I still confuse the heck out of other players who have a hard time dealing with all the ballhandling tricks I learned from Nick.

Those Nick and Eddie teams were so much fun. Even though we had more success with the Shaq/Kobe and Kobe/Pau teams, those championship teams were never as fun to watch as the Lakershow team.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks GT. Brings back great memories. I love that 94-95 team. NVE and EJ was why I started following the Lakers when I was a kid. Sometimes during the underachieving years of 96-99 with Shaq and young Kobe before they got Phil, I wish they kept that team together. They were fun to watch even if they couldn't contend. I hope this year with Zo and Kuzma it will be like that.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Awesome video GT. I remember being a teenager watching those teams and listening to Chick. I didn't get to see every game live back then (living in San Diego - I think I only got to see the home games). Really miss those simulcasts. I'd take Chick calling the game over any graphic or interview any day of the week. He made the game larger than it was - no gimmicks, just awesome play calling. Nick and him were a match made in heaven, only surpassed by Kobe. To this day, I'm thankful that Chick was able to finish off his career with a young Kobe Bryant. What a gift to him and, even more so, to us.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 28 of 93
Jump to: