tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
tox wrote:
rwongega wrote:
tox wrote:

Jon and Ygritte are dating IRL, not Jon and Dany.
Emilia Clarke's problem is that she has basically one facial expression/ attitude: smug imperiousness. She has no range at all. I wonder if part of it is the character as written, though. For example, some of the Sand Snakes are pretty good actresses yet they were all terrible, especially in S5.

Terminator: Genisys. She was also their second choice for the part. They should've stuck with the first or went to a different actress. Also hurts that her physical growth has stunted to where she makes Tyrion Lannister look normal sized.

I haven't seen it. She wasn't good?
It turns out she's theater trained, which might explain why she's not very good at emoting via facial expressions.

Theater trained are absolutely master class. Ben Kingsley, Cate Blanchett, Ian Mckellan, Agenela Lansubry, Edward Norton...I could go on and on. Most of Hollywood's top caliber actors cut their teeth in the theater. Heck, most of her co-stars including Kit Harrington began in theater (at the least the HS level or studied it). She's jsut not very good.

Quote:
Let's just say I'd give Arnold the Oscar before her. As jonnybravo noted, theater trained performers are the master class. In fact, Clarke was widely panned in her sole Broadway performance, which led to the early closing.

I did theater myself for a few years, and emoting relies less on facial expressions than in other media on the screen. Obviously theater trains you in other ways, it's often very rigorous, and there's nothing stopping a theater-trained actor/actress from practicing weak areas in preparation for TV/movies. I was just remarking that this fits with Clarke's specific brand of poor acting. I have a friend who wants to watch some romantic drama starring Clarke in it... maybe I'll take her up on that offer just to see how Emilia acts outside of GOT.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
tox wrote:
rwongega wrote:
tox wrote:

Jon and Ygritte are dating IRL, not Jon and Dany.
Emilia Clarke's problem is that she has basically one facial expression/ attitude: smug imperiousness. She has no range at all. I wonder if part of it is the character as written, though. For example, some of the Sand Snakes are pretty good actresses yet they were all terrible, especially in S5.

Terminator: Genisys. She was also their second choice for the part. They should've stuck with the first or went to a different actress. Also hurts that her physical growth has stunted to where she makes Tyrion Lannister look normal sized.

I haven't seen it. She wasn't good?
It turns out she's theater trained, which might explain why she's not very good at emoting via facial expressions.

Theater trained are absolutely master class. Ben Kingsley, Cate Blanchett, Ian Mckellan, Agenela Lansubry, Edward Norton...I could go on and on. Most of Hollywood's top caliber actors cut their teeth in the theater. Heck, most of her co-stars including Kit Harrington began in theater (at the least the HS level or studied it). She's jsut not very good.

Quote:
Let's just say I'd give Arnold the Oscar before her. As jonnybravo noted, theater trained performers are the master class. In fact, Clarke was widely panned in her sole Broadway performance, which led to the early closing.

I did theater myself for a few years, and emoting relies less on facial expressions than in other media on the screen. Obviously theater trains you in other ways, it's often very rigorous, and there's nothing stopping a theater-trained actor/actress from practicing weak areas in preparation for TV/movies. I was just remarking that this fits with Clarke's specific brand of poor acting. I have a friend who wants to watch some romantic drama starring Clarke in it... maybe I'll take her up on that offer just to see how Emilia acts outside of GOT.

That's fair . I don't think it's the theater training per se that makes great actors but the fact that most succesful actors with theater backgrounds are also dedicated students of acting. I'm way out of my lane at this point.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

Don't follow the show religiously, so clear something up for me. When Arya was trying to get into Winterfell she asked one of the guards who was in charge; he told her "Lady Stark," and Arya was confused about WHICH Lady Stark. She knows her mother is dead, and there are no other sisters, right? Who else could she have been confused about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Don't follow the show religiously, so clear something up for me. When Arya was trying to get into Winterfell she asked one of the guards who was in charge; he told her "Lady Stark," and Arya was confused about WHICH Lady Stark. She knows her mother is dead, and there are no other sisters, right? Who else could she have been confused about?

Great catch Larry. Perhaps she was just being cautious and didn't want to get her hopes up about Sansa being alive?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

I think she was fearing a trap.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Some think maybe she thought Jon got legitimized and then married someone.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

^ I want to re-watch because her expression should give us insight to whether she was fearing a trap or hopeful at the prospect that Jon (whom she was very close with) got legitimized.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

That be lady snow... Bran's wife then
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

That be lady snow... Bran's wife then

That's why I said maybe she thought he got legitimized.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

That's fair . I don't think it's the theater training per se that makes great actors but the fact that most succesful actors with theater backgrounds are also dedicated students of acting. I'm way out of my lane at this point.

Yeah, I also think that's why theater actors tend to be better. Obviously Emilia shows it's not a silver bullet lol
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Great catch Larry. Perhaps she was just being cautious and didn't want to get her hopes up about Sansa being alive?

I think this is the correct answer. Arya went to Winterfell knowing that Jon was in charge, but she had no reason to suspect Sansa was there as well. So it just took her some time to register that the Lady Stark is her sister, because Sansa was far from her mind.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I want to re-watch because her expression should give us insight to whether she was fearing a trap or hopeful at the prospect that Jon (whom she was very close with) got legitimized.

I'm more curious about Sansa's expression after watching the awesome Arya/Brienne scene. What's going on there?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I'm more curious about Sansa's expression after watching the awesome Arya/Brienne scene. What's going on there?

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Concern wondering what Arya had to go through to learn to fight like that?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

My take was jealousy for how Arya has become a warrior. Throughout her journey, Sansa was victimized many times by Joffrey and Ramsay. Her only tool for survival was pretending to be the demure lady she was brought up to be.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

My take was jealousy for how Arya has become a warrior. Throughout her journey, Sansa was victimized many times by Joffrey and Ramsay. Her only tool for survival was pretending to be the demure lady she was brought up to be.

My thought was that she was upset upon realizing that Arya has been through an awful lot, just like her. I think she realized that not only had she lost Rickon, Bran seems to be a different person, and perhaps now she feels she doesn't recognize her sister now either.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Pretty much how I read it. To me it seemed like a moment of not really being able to believe her ears at the news. So, she asked the question as a way to absorb the news and double check she wasn't being fooled.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

My thought was that she was upset upon realizing that Arya has been through an awful lot, just like her. I think she realized that not only had she lost Rickon, Bran seems to be a different person, and perhaps now she feels she doesn't recognize her sister now either.

Yes. And there's a moment later where Arya tells Sansa that just about everyone on her list is already dead and we see a look of appreciation and admiration from Sansa, so it's not jealousy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject:

I also don't watch the show religiously anymore, but here's a question: Why did Danyreuaus doubt the existence of the white walkers? If she knows about the children of the forest and knows of the Wall (does she know about the wall?) then she's familiar with why the wall was constructed in the first place, no?

halp
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I also don't watch the show religiously anymore, but here's a question: Why did Danyreuaus doubt the existence of the white walkers? If she knows about the children of the forest and knows of the Wall (does she know about the wall?) then she's familiar with why the wall was constructed in the first place, no?

halp

i'm not sure where she stands on White Walkers, but she seems so singularly focused on the iron throne feels like nothing else matters anyways...but i feel like if you saw the white walker, face to face, you would def be shouting about it and recruiting people to the cause.

Tomm.'s episode is called Eastwatch...realm might be introduced to WW. i'm very interested to see Jon's past be revealed, and i also wonder what happened btw Rhaeygar (sp?) and lyanna. like was it a forced situation, did they marry, etc.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

halp

i'm not sure where she stands on White Walkers, but she seems so singularly focused on the iron throne feels like nothing else matters anyways...but i feel like if you saw the white walker, face to face, you would def be shouting about it and recruiting people to the cause.

Tomm.'s episode is called Eastwatch...realm might be introduced to WW. i'm very interested to see Jon's past be revealed, and i also wonder what happened btw Rhaeygar (sp?) and lyanna. like was it a forced situation, did they marry, etc.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

halp

In her first meeting with Jon, she said she never received a formal [Westeros] education. She knew some facts from history such as Jon's ancestor Torrhen Stark swore an oath of loyalty to her ancestor Aegon. That was thousands of years after the last White Walker invasion.

From what I've observed throughout the series is the ones in the North have heard the stories of the White Walkers passed down through their ancestors. They are the descendants of the First Men and kept the faith of the Old Gods which came from the Children of the Forest. The Starks' ancestor Brandon the Builder was the architect of the Wall.

The people who live in the South are descendants of the Andals who drove the First Men out of the South and established the Faith of the Seven. They mostly believe the Wall and the Night's Watch exists to keep out Wildlings and the stores about monsters beyond the Wall are just myths.

Considering Daenerys' limited exposure to Westeros and their people, it's not surprising she'd know even less than they do about the White Walkers.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Most people are skeptical of magic, especially southerners. They think the north people are crazy for believing these urban legends about white walkers (even notherner Ned Stark didn't believe the guys in the first episode about the WW's).
They also had a hard time believing the dragons were back. And then accepted it but as "baby dragons" who will never be full grown.
There is a lot of skepticism because these things haven't been seen in centuries so most logical people would need proof to believe they're not just stories.

On another note, i just realized a Giant can shoot one of the dragon killer arrows with their bow. I wonder if we ever see that. probably not.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

On another note, i just realized a Giant can shoot one of the dragon killer arrows with their bow. I wonder if we ever see that. probably not.

Interesting. The White Walkers do have some giants in their dead army now and we've seen one of them shoot a bow and arrow when Mance Rayder attacked the Wall back in Season 4. The giant easily hit the top of the Wall which is 700ft high so shooting a flying dragon should be easy.

https://youtu.be/iNCxxdcEK3w?t=2m44s
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Jon is legitimate! He's a legitimate Targ!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 181 of 247
Jump to: