OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

Anyone find it interesting Lonzo said Kuzma helps his game because he's a 4 that can run and shoot?

Randle's sweating.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Anyone find it interesting Lonzo said Kuzma helps his game because he's a 4 that can run and shoot?

Randle's sweating.

Randle needs to hit shots like draymond does or he won't be anything more than a rotation player off the bench on any NBA team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

Randle's sweating.

Right, just like he was sweating last year when Larry had a great summer league -_-

Fortunately for Kuzma however, he can also play the 3. In reality, Deng and Nance would be sweating more than Randle would.

LakerSD wrote:

Randle needs to hit shots like draymond does or he won't be anything more than a rotation player off the bench on any NBA team.

Draymond shot 30.8% from three last year, 41.8% from the field and had one season in his 5 year NBA career where he's shot over 34% from three.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

^I think it's fair to say that Dray passed up a lot of shots because he's got Klay, Curry, and KD.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^I think it's fair to say that Dray passed up a lot of shots because he's got Klay, Curry, and KD.

He shot more from three, but less in general.

Even still, shooting 30% from three and 41% from the field on less shots than the season prior where you shot 49% from the field and 38.8% from three was very jarring.

The upside however was he brought it from the defensive end. But if he'd been more efficient on the shots he got, the Warriors would have been even more dangerous.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Randle's sweating.

Right, just like he was sweating last year when Larry had a great summer league -_-

Fortunately for Kuzma however, he can also play the 3. In reality, Deng and Nance would be sweating more than Randle would.

LakerSD wrote:

Draymond shot 30.8% from three last year, 41.8% from the field and had one season in his 5 year NBA career where he's shot over 34% from three.

He's still dependable shooter from the games I have watched. Can't say the same for Randle, which is why he does his Tazmanian devil, I am going to bully you because I think I'm stronger routine.

I'm not saying Randle can't evolve, he has the talent, but he needs to start being a higher IQ player and hit on his outside shooting.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

We have to see how Julius performs next season, but when we look at the way Green defends and the whole offense somewhat runs through him despite his status as 4th option it shows how far and away are the impact of each player in terms of results.

Julius has potential to be a much better offensive player than Green, in some aspects he is, but his defensive impact is net negative and he has to put it all together on offense not individually, but in terms of team concept.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

If Randle can hit 33% from 3, then that would be great for him. Just show that you're almost decent from 3.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Randle's sweating.

LakerSD wrote:

He's still dependable shooter from the games I have watched. Can't say the same for Randle, which is why he does his Tazmanian devil, I am going to bully you because I think I'm stronger routine.

I'm not saying Randle can't evolve, he has the talent, but he needs to start being a higher IQ player and hit on his outside shooting.

Randle was a more dependable and efficient shooter than Draymond last year.

That's inarguable.

When he was given the green light to shoot from three he had a stretch where he was solid from three.

13.6 / 9 / 3.5
47% FG
38.5% Three Pointer
12 Game Stretch after Luke gave him the green light to shoot from three starting with the Phoenix Game

And then in the last few games when his three ticked off, he was extremely efficient inside.

15.2 / 7.5 / 2
57.4% FG
11.1% Three Pointer
6 Game Stretch where his 3P fell

Altogether

14.2 / 8.5 / 3
50.3% From the Field
31.4% from Three

In the season's final 18 games. Which was a very good stretch for him.

Considering he's 22, and Draymond's 27, and Randle's dedicated his off-season to both his conditioning and his shooting, you'd assume it's going to trend upwards. But despite that, last season regardless of those stretches, he had a more efficient scoring/shooting year than Draymond did.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
I get the feeling Lebron has always wanted to play with a pass-first PG, based on the snarky comments about Kyrie's assist numbers. It would prolong his career at this point, similar to what Magic did for Kareem.

Agreed. His comments about needing another playmaker, as well, indicate that.

He needs a second team playmaker and a second team scorer. The Cavs fell apart when he went to the bench. Stagger Lonzo's minutes so he gets second team time, Lebron can playmake for the starters.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Even still, shooting 30% from three and 41% from the field on less shots than the season prior where you shot 49% from the field and 38.8% from three was very jarring.

The upside however was he brought it from the defensive end. But if he'd been more efficient on the shots he got, the Warriors would have been even more dangerous.

Last year they shot 49.5%, 38.3%

Prior year was 48.7%, 41.6% (Curry's miracle year)

Last year, none of their guys played out of their mind. I think they're fine.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Randle's sweating.

LakerSD wrote:

That's inarguable.

When he was given the green light to shoot from three he had a stretch where he was solid from three.

13.6 / 9 / 3.5
47% FG
38.5% Three Pointer
12 Game Stretch after Luke gave him the green light to shoot from three starting with the Phoenix Game

And then in the last few games when his three ticked off, he was extremely efficient inside.

15.2 / 7.5 / 2
57.4% FG
11.1% Three Pointer

Altogether

14.2 / 8.5 / 3
50.3% From the Field
31.4% from Three

Considering he's 22, and Draymond's 27, and Randle's dedicated his off-season to both his conditioning and his shooting, you'd assume it's going to trend upwards. But despite that, last season regardless of those stretches, he had a more efficient scoring/shooting year than Draymond did.

Time will tell. I don't doubt that he has more talent than Draymond; especially offensively and the reason why he was picked that high.

Luke's system is one that gives the green light to anyone to shoot the 3 really. So it's on Randle to take advantage and run with it. He also has a tremendous passing PG so he should do well because of all the added opportunities.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Last year they shot 49.5%, 38.3%

Prior year was 48.7%, 41.6% (Curry's miracle year)

Last year, none of their guys played out of their mind. I think they're fine.

I think people forget that they were learning each other last season. They are just so good they could still steam roll in their first season with KD. That team is just ridiculous. I expect better efficiency next season for the team. I like to throw this crazy stat out there...

In 14 seasons Steph and Klay have never shot under 40% from 3. Compare that to your all time great 3 point shooters and see how it stacks up. These guys are crazy good even with the inflated stats of today.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Randle's sweating.

LakerSD wrote:

That's inarguable.

13.6 / 9 / 3.5
47% FG
38.5% Three Pointer

15.2 / 7.5 / 2
57.4% FG
11.1% Three Pointer

Altogether

14.2 / 8.5 / 3
50.3% From the Field
31.4% from Three

Time will tell. I don't doubt that he has more talent than Draymond; especially offensively and the reason why he was picked that high.

Luke's system is one that gives the green light to anyone to shoot the 3 really. So it's on Randle to take advantage and run with it. He also has a tremendous passing PG so he should do well because of all the added opportunities.

Luke himself said he didn't want Randle camping at the 3 point line or playing like a stretch 4. He essentially said that he only wants Randle to have a three point shot for the sake of if he HAS to take one and it being an extra tool in his arsenal. But he has no desire for Randle to change his style to be more 'perimeter' oriented.

I think this is a strong reason why Luke is very happy that we have Lopez.

I think the front court player that will be picking and popping with Lonzo will be Lopez, and Randle will be the one that rolls to the basket or pops to mid from the screen. I think that's likely what Luke would consider his best case scenario as it enables Randle to play within the style Luke wants him to continue playing, and it utilizes Lopez as a front court player who can stretch it to three.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Randle's sweating.

LakerSD wrote:

That's inarguable.

13.6 / 9 / 3.5
47% FG
38.5% Three Pointer

15.2 / 7.5 / 2
57.4% FG
11.1% Three Pointer

Altogether

14.2 / 8.5 / 3
50.3% From the Field
31.4% from Three

Luke himself said he didn't want Randle camping at the 3 point line or playing like a stretch 4. He essentially said that he only wants Randle to have a three point shot for the sake of if he HAS to take one and it being an extra tool in his arsenal. But he has no desire for Randle to change his style to be more 'perimeter' oriented.

I think this is a strong reason why Luke is very happy that we have Lopez.

I think the front court player that will be picking and popping with Lonzo will be Lopez, and Randle will be the one that rolls to the basket or pops to mid from the screen. I think that's likely what Luke would consider his best case scenario as it enables Randle to play within the style Luke wants him to continue playing, and it utilizes Lopez as a front court player who can stretch it to three.

That would be ideal, since Lopez has a better outside shot and he'd be better off popping in that scenario.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

When did he say this? I must have missed it.

Either way, seems like a protecting Randle in the press type thing and goes against what Nance and Randle are working on this offseason. I do remember Walton pleading with Nance to shoot more last season. I think Luke would love having all 5 positions being able to shoot the 3.

Edit: just noticed you said "camping out." Of course not, that would take away some of Randle's talents. However, he still needs to show more confidence and hit the open shot rather than hesitating and doing his inefficient, ball stopping Tazmanian routine.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I think defenses are going to do this:

1. Go under the screen to see if Lonzo can hit his shot.

2. If he hits his shots, then they will switch and see if he can take a big and abuse that matchup. If he can't (one of the criticisms of his game right now), that makes it tough.

If you are popping Lopez, then you aren't getting anywhere with a switch in that situation. A guard can get in Lopez's shirt on the perimeter. So we'll need to roll him and abuse the matchup against the smaller defender in the paint or draw the D in with the roll. At this point, they are then likely daring Randle to beat them from the perimeter...or Lonzo to beat the big on iso, which isn't his strength right now.

Lonzo's giving it to an open Randle on the perimeter. A lot I think against smarter defenses. All that work on his shooting this summer needs to show. If it does, Zo and Lopez are going to open up a lot for Jules (or Nance or Kuzma).
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

2. If he hits his shots, then they will switch and see if he can take a big and abuse that matchup. If he can't (one of the criticisms of his game right now), that makes it tough.

If you are popping Lopez, then you aren't getting anywhere with a switch in that situation. A guard can get in Lopez's shirt on the perimeter. So we'll need to roll him and abuse the matchup against the smaller defender in the paint or draw the D in with the roll. At this point, they are then likely daring Randle to beat them from the perimeter...or Lonzo to beat the big on iso, which isn't his strength right now.

Lonzo's giving it to an open Randle on the perimeter. A lot I think against smarter defenses. All that work on his shooting this summer needs to show. If it does, Zo and Lopez are going to open up a lot for Jules (or Nance or Kuzma).

If they switch the Zo-Lopez pick and roll, I would hope Brook would go straight to the post every time and Zo would get him the ball. I agree that good/smart teams will go under and switch.

Kuzma is definitely a better fit at the 4 next to Zo in half court because he can space the floor. Hopefully Randle and Nance (I have higher hopes for Nance) can shoot 3s this year.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

What if they fake the double high screen with Lopez as the supposed, initial screener and then use the other screener to set a screen for Lopez, and he pops out of that instead? I'm not sure what that's called or if there's any official terminology at all, but could that be a solution to nullify the small switching onto Lopez when he pops? They ran that for Wear during SL here at the 1:33 mark:

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

^ My tablet isn't bringing up the video but I know the play you are talking about. I think they set up Kuz in that, too. I think you switch everything regardless defensively. You will probably catch teams off guard in that. Good teams? Not sure. Lonzo needs to prove he can abuse a big. I don't know if that will happen with consistency next year as the competition gets better. The year after will Lopez still be here? Who knows? But I think after a year, Lonzo probably takes it to the bigs with consistency and everything opens up.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

So you just run the pick five feet inside the half court line. Ball has great straight line speed and can dish to either side. If the guard goes under Lonzo has him in quasi transition and if the big switches he's out where the air is very thin.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Making me concern now. I think his shot (including 3s) will eventually fall, not sure if it's gonna be elite level but decent enough. But you don't think he has enough athleticism to beat the big... Man, I really hope he does (look what happened to Kendall Marshall)
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

I'm not concerned. He was easily getting by switches all Summer League and consistently getting into the paint. Most of the concerns about Lonzo prior to SL were completely overblown due in part to the UCLA offense design.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
So you just run the pick five feet inside the half court line. Ball has great straight line speed and can dish to either side. If the guard goes under Lonzo has him in quasi transition and if the big switches he's out where the air is very thin.

You'll have both defenders automatically sagging unless Zo starts making shots from 35'.

If I had a really good perimeter defender, I'd go out of my way to blitz Lonzo near halfcourt. The passing is great. The handle, not so much.

But if I'm the defense, and I've got a big with the basketball 35' away from the hoop, I'm already ahead.

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

I think concerns of Zo in the halfcourt are overblown. He has high IQ and will figure out what defenses are giving him. He is usually a step a head of defenses. He has way more athleticism than Kendall mArshall. Has anyone ever seen KM catch a lob or even dunk for that matter? Until we see Kendall taking a double team for reverse lets put that comparison to rest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 418 of 1688
Jump to: