OFFICIAL KYLE KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject:

Kuzma looks to have a lot more offensive talent than Nance.

I expect that he will struggle on defense.

His 3 point shooting is the real deal. 10 games in College + Summer league He has been lights out.

I doubt the Lakers expected him to be available when the made the Russell Trade.

Russell trade made to get rid of Moz + they didn't like Russell fit on the team

We were lucky on Russell trade Kuzma makes this trade a good one for us

Kuzman is a rookie but he makes Nance expendable by trade deadline unless the decide that Randle is not a long term answer then they will trade him.

Expect some struggles but kid is really well rounded and just scratching his potential. Will be in rotation.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:

His 3 point shooting is the real deal. 10 games in College + Summer league He has been lights out.

I doubt the Lakers expected him to be available when the made the Russell Trade.

Kuzman is a rookie but he makes Nance expendable by trade deadline unless the decide that Randle is not a long term answer then they will trade him.

Expect some struggles but kid is really well rounded and just scratching his potential. Will be in rotation.

Agreed for the most part. IMO Kuz is going to develop into a very good NBA player.

2001 you have been here for a while "old laker fan"
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

Here is another Kuz prop, he was listed in the top ten potential ROY candidates.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/10-candidates-nba-rookie-of-year-2018/385856

Really I can't see him getting enough playing time to actually win it, but based on his Summer games play, it is great to see him mentioned...

Last edited by unleasHell on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Here is another Kuz prop, he was listed in the top ten potential MVP candidates.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/10-candidates-nba-rookie-of-year-2018/385856

Really I can't see him getting enough playing time to actually win it, but based on his Summer games play, it is great to see him mentioned...

It's a real longshot, but if Randle gets traded (not outside the realm of possibility with Pelinka's quest for 2 max slots) that opens the minutes. He could be the best shooter on the team.
LonzoLegend2
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

Love Kuz but ain't no way two Laker rookies are anywhere close to MVP....let's set the bar for ROY instead!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Love Kuz but ain't no way two Laker rookies are anywhere close to MVP....let's set the bar for ROY instead!

The article says ROY. I think Unleashed typoed. I was referring to ROY.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
tox wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Kuz is gonna struggle a lot as a rookie, on both ends.

...just putting that out there

How DARE you snooze on the kooz.

I dunno, I think he'll struggle on defense as rookies do. Offensively I'm expecting him to be kind of inefficient especially as his 3FG% falls back down to Earth.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

He's going to struggle with strength a little at the PF defensively. SF he will probably be alright. Battled Tatum well. Good with his feet. He's got a lot more polish as an older rookie.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
He's going to struggle with strength a little at the PF defensively. SF he will probably be alright. Battled Tatum well. Good with his feet. He's got a lot more polish as an older rookie.

I'm not worried too much about his man defense, but I put an outsized significance to the effects of miscommunications on PnR etc. where IIRC he (naturally) struggled (as opposed to a guy like Nance who showed great feel on that end from day one in summer league).
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

The article says ROY. I think Unleashed typoed. I was referring to ROY.

you guys are right I mmessd up, but fixed it

thanks
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Kuz does make someone expendable, Nance is not as talented, but his second round deal makes him more affordable than Randle. I think Magic is far higher on Randle than he was Russell. So if he can save Randle he will, but not at the expense of the 2max plan.
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:

2K was tripping

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXs_5r0hYfz/
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
2K was tripping

Ratings change over the course of the season. Ingram will end up being in the mid-high 80s when it's all said and done, same with Lonzo, and Kuzma probably at around 77-78 as well.

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:

I think you may be underestimating his defensive acumen. Sure he will struggle initially like all rookies do, but I believe that defense will end up being one of his strengths. Per his coach at the SPL, Kuzma was directing the defense while he was on the floor, talking to people and telling them where to go.

To me this demonstrates the willingness to invest time and effort in playing defense on his part. IMO willingness to play D is more than half the battle when it comes to becoming a good defender.

The other part of being a good defender is obviously your physical tools. Kuz has good speed and quickness for his size and decent length. Not going to be a great post defender, but I believe he will be a valuable perimeter defender.

LeBronzo JamBall 2018

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Does he have the highest shooting ceiling of anyone on the team?
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Does he have the highest shooting ceiling of anyone on the team?

I asked google and this is what I got back
https://www.google.com/search?q=kyle+kuzma+age&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAx8SX0tfVAhVI3IMKHWAdB3UQvwUIIygA&biw=1536&bih=759&dpr=1.25

I'm going to say no
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
2K was tripping

#3 pick vs. #27 pick. His initial rating is going to be lower.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless [] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so were really, really excited about him.

nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless [] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so were really, really excited about him.

I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:

I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.

I think too that when Rob mentioned Kuzma being positionless, it's even more conformation that Kuzma will get more minutes at the wing position as well.

Which is great because I REALLY DON'T WANT to see crap like Brewer and Deng there.
governator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:

Expectations are high.

I think too that when Rob mentioned Kuzma being positionless, it's even more conformation that Kuzma will get more minutes at the wing position as well.

Which is great because I REALLY DON'T WANT to see crap like Brewer and Deng there.

Brewer is an expiring contract... trade value

Deng... expiring 3 yr contract...
naha
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

This kid is good. I watch a lot of Pac 12 basketball and this kid can play.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:

Expectations are high.

Clear thinking wise posters make it clear that we should beware of the next Tierre Brown, Laron Profit, or Devin Ebanks. Ok, fair enough. We're cautioned that Summer Leagues are filled with scrub competition. Still, Kuzma was the top (co?) defender in the Pac 12. Then he got on the radar in a deep draft with an excellent performance against talented guys.

Unfortunately, 80% Combine shooting was too good to be true but he confidently shot 48% during the next 8 games, including defenders he will see again, such as Jason Tatum and Hollis-Jefferson. He was every bit as good as Tatum, and showed he won't be stopped by Jefferson's highly rated d. Kuzma showed me the relentlessness and quickness I want to see in every player, even when he switched to someone small. Like they say about Lonzo, you can't teach that.

We all saw it. We can pretend that any of the past comparisons performed well more than a game or 2. This guy wasn't just hot one day, he sustained a high level of play that included a lot of special things on both ends. His ability will force him into the rotation. Once he gets there, because of his agressiveness, he will be more effective for Lonzo than TJ Leaf. No way these guys, with improving returnees, a deep quality bench, and Lopez and KCP, finish below .500

Pelinka has seen what he has up close and is apparently is more excited about Kuzma than people who want to be sure he's for real.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

One thing I like about Kuzma is that his defense should light a fire under Randle that he better be giving his best or someone else who's capable will. Also, Nance has to be willing to take and make or miss shots. Be a threat, because playing time is no longer guaranteed.

No doubt Lonzo will have a positive effect on this team. I think Kuzma will too and there will be a cultural change in aggressive team play, as well as on defense.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Kuzma showed me the relentlessness and quickness I want to see in every player ... you can't teach that.

Competitors

The major will to win
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 74 of 76
Jump to: