Ice Cube is starting is own professional 3-on-3 basketball league
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

3 on 3 is for real. It's gonna be in the olympics and everything (tho with different rules)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

Saw a good game. 3 Headed Monsters coached by Gary Payton beat Ghost Ballers coached by George Gervin. Like the 4 point circle. Might like to see it in the NBA? Steph would love it.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/06/ice-cube-big3-open-to-moving-venue-for-mayweathermcgregor-fight/

Quote:
Ice Cube: Big3 open to moving venue for Mayweather/McGregor fight

Ice Cube says his Big3 basketball league is open to moving its championship game to another arena in Las Vegas to make way for Floyd Mayweather’s boxing match against Conor McGregor.

The game is scheduled for Aug. 26 at T-Mobile Arena, the biggest venue in Las Vegas. Mayweather’s fight against McGregor was later announced for the same site.

That bout, matching the undefeated boxing champion and the mixed martial arts star, could be one of the biggest pay-per-view events ever, so Cube understands why they want the building. The rapper-actor said Thursday that there have been discussions and the 3-on-3 league of retired NBA players is up for moving, “but we just got to be treated right.”

If the Big3 moves, it would go to the MGM Grand Garden Arena. That game is scheduled to begin in the afternoon and the fight at night.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

Here's my all-time 3 on 3 team:

Hakeem (All-around big. No weakness really.)

Lebron (All-around but lacks a good jump shot or closing ability)

Jordan (All-around with a good jump shot and can close)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/16/allen-iverson-returns-home-with-big3-eager-to-please-philly-fans/

Quote:
Allen Iverson returns home with Big3, eager to please Philly fans

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Allen Iverson plans to run on that familiar court one more time, cup his ear the way he used to in his prime and implore his adoring fans to make more noise.

AI is back home, Philly.

“It’s exciting,” Iverson told The Associated Press. “I just want to give them a couple flashbacks of the time I had here. I love them. The only relationship like the relationship I have with Philadelphia fans is (Michael Jordan) in Chicago. It’s everlasting. They supported me all throughout my career, through all my ups and downs and that’s why I love coming back here. They’re the No. 1 fans in the world.”

Iverson returns to the floor at the Wells Fargo Center on Sunday night when the Big3 comes to town. The main event features two Philadelphia legends. Iverson’s 3’s Company team faces Julius Erving’s Tri-State team in the fourth game. Dr. J won’t be playing, though.

Iverson hasn’t done much of that, either. The former NBA MVP is a player-coach but he has spent more time coaching in the first three weeks. The 42-year-old has six points on 3-for-13 shooting.

“I’m going to do what’s best to get us the win,” Iverson said, explaining that he can’t guard bigger opponents in the post.

That’s just fine with Ice Cube.

“You gotta commend AI,” the rapper-actor told AP. “He’s trying to win. If he was on the ego tip, he wouldn’t sub himself out, even though he’s getting posted up. That’s the cool thing about it. You see guys’ real competitive juices going.”

No matter how little he plays, Iverson is an integral part of Ice Cube’s league of former NBA players.

“We don’t launch without AI,” Cube said. “We had names, we had players. But we didn’t have box office, we didn’t have that marquee name that you need to make a splash in a league like this. What’s great with him and Dr. J and playing in Philly, you have Dr. J who helped cement the ABA, and you have Allen Iverson establishing the Big3. Years from now, we can look back and say this wouldn’t have happened without AI taking a chance on us.”

Iverson, who was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame last year, is enjoying the ride.

“Seeing guys give it their all and watching how the fans embrace it, guys putting on a show for them, that’s what it’s all about,” he said. “These games haven’t been watered down. They’ve been competitive. I like the direction it’s heading. I’m happy to be a part of it. Years to come, I can brag to guys about being one of the first guys to play in the Big3 because it’s going to soar, man. It’s going to get bigger and bigger every year.”

Three weeks into Season 1, Ice Cube is already thinking ahead.

“I can definitely see the future of this league where guys step straight from an NBA court onto a Big3 court,” he said. “I think the competition is gonna get stiff. I’m pretty sure there’s some big names out there waiting to play the game and have fun. Everybody is having a ball – players, fans, the league.”
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Quote:
“You gotta commend AI,” the rapper-actor told AP.

A rapper-actor should be called a raptor
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/30/big3-allen-iverson-no-called-no-showed-games/

Quote:
Big3: Allen Iverson no-called, no-showed games

In many ways, Ice Cube’s fledgling 3-on-3 league has hitched its wagon to Allen Iverson’s star.

Iverson has headlined the Big3’s promotion. He’s the only Hall of Famer playing in the league. He’s the only player-coach.

But Iverson didn’t play in Philadelphia – where 76ers fans were eager to see him – and then missed games in Dallas entirely.

Big3 release:

Allen Iverson did not show up to today’s BIG3 week 6 game in Dallas as expected. We had no advance warning and do not have information as to all the circumstances surrounding his absence. The league is launching an investigation to gather all the facts and then will make an informed, official statement.

DerMarr Johnson, Three’s Company’s co-Captain, stepped in to fulfill Player Captain and Coaching duties.

This is shocking.

Hopefully, Iverson is OK.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Think AI's basketball career went downhill after the Pistons traded him. His stint in Memphis was short when he didn't want to be a bench player and his 2nd stint in Philly wasn't a success. That was pretty much it for his NBA career after that. I'm not surprise that he is no showing in the Big3 considering its not the NBA and he's 42 now. The motivation for him playing basketball is no longer there.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
3 on 3 is for real. It's gonna be in the olympics and everything (tho with different rules)
what will the rules be? i wish it were make it take it. and no clearing the ball unless the other team shoots and hits the rim. get these games over with quick.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Think AI's basketball career went downhill after the Pistons traded him. His stint in Memphis was short when he didn't want to be a bench player and his 2nd stint in Philly wasn't a success. That was pretty much it for his NBA career after that. I'm not surprise that he is no showing in the Big3 considering its not the NBA and he's 42 now. The motivation for him playing basketball is no longer there.

He got his paycheck then lost interest and bailed on Ice Cube.

A leopard doesn't change its spots.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/01/allen-iverson-apologizes-for-missing-big3-event-in-dallas/

Quote:
Allen Iverson apologizes for missing Big3 event in Dallas

Allen Iverson — one of the big name draws of the fledgling Big3 series featuring former NBA players — was a no-show last weekend in Dallas. It’s an issue for a league trying to get a foothold because Iverson is not much of a player anymore but he remains the biggest name and draw tied to the league. Big3 released this statement.

“We had no advance warning and do not have information as to all the circumstances surrounding his absence. The league is launching an investigation to gather all the facts and then will make an informed, official statement.”

Iverson has now posted an apology on Instagram.

The Big3 tour hits basketball hotbed Lexington next weekend, followed by Los Angeles the weekend after. We will see if Iverson attends those events. So far the Big3 has drawn good crowds and decent ratings for FS1 (not huge numbers but better than what the network drew a year ago in that time slot), but it needs stars to make this work. It’s just the way of basketball.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

If they want a must watch game they should probably have a special guest team composed of Kobe or TMac instead of role players.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Suspended by Cube....
https://sports.yahoo.com/big3-suspension-proves-not-even-can-handle-193748403.html
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He got his paycheck then lost interest and bailed on Ice Cube.

A leopard doesn't change its spots.

Nope.
Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Maurice White 1941-2016
Malik Isaac Taylor aka Phife 1970-2016
Prince 1958-2016
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/02/ice-cube-explains-why-big3-suspended-allen-iverson/

Quote:
Ice Cube explains why Big3 suspended Allen Iverson

Ice Cube knows if the players don’t take the Big3 league seriously, neither will fans.

It’s hard to get an endeavor like a new sports league — in this case, kind of a barnstorming senior tour for the NBA with guys playing 3-on-3 — off the ground. So far the league has filled buildings and had decent ratings on FS1.

The biggest news story out of the Big3 so far has been how Allen Iverson — the league’s biggest draw, and coach and occasional player for one of the teams — went AWOL in Dallas last weekend. Iverson has since apologized, but on Wednesday the Big3 suspended Iverson. Ice Cube explained why to Adi Joseph of For The Win at the USA Today.

“Well, we talked about holding up the legitimacy of the league and he knows that him not showing up hurts us,” Ice Cube said. “Who’s happy to be suspended? Nobody. But he understands that it’s a necessary step in the development of the BIG3 who don’t believe what we’re doing and what we’re going to do in the future. Our league is bigger than one man, and we’ve got Hall-of-Famers, champions, All-Stars, first-round picks, and we have to think about them. He understands that.”

Iverson is suspended for the games in Kentucky this weekend, but is expected to be back coaching (and maybe playing) in Los Angeles the following Sunday.

I get what the Big3 is thinking — the NFL was willing to suspend Tom Brady, the NBA suspended Draymond Green for an NBA Finals game, the top sports leagues put the health of the league over the individual. Reluctantly and slowly, but they do it. If the Big3 let Iverson walk on this, the league would get walked on down the line by other stars who only show up to play part time.

We’ll see how all this impacts ticket sales and ratings, if at all. Stars sell in the NBA, so there certainly is risk here for the Big3. But Ice Cube, Roger Mason Jr. and the rest of the management team are trying to build something bigger.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/12/charles-oakley-plans-to-play-sunday-in-big3-game/

Quote:

Charles Oakley plans to play Sunday in Big3 game

NEW YORK (AP) — Charles Oakley is checking himself in for the Big3’s regular-season finale.

Oakley plans to play for the first time this season on Sunday in Los Angeles, the league says Friday.

The former New York Knicks All-Star is the coach of the Killer 3s, who have been eliminated from contention for the four playoff spots. The team will take on Trilogy, which is unbeaten and defeated Oakley’s team in the opening week of games.

Oakley, a rugged rebounder and defender during his 19 NBA seasons, will play alongside Reggie Evans, the Big3’s leading rebounder, and reigning player of the week Stephen Jackson.

Oakley reached a deal last week with prosecutors who charged him with striking a security guard at Madison Square Garden when he was arrested for an altercation while watching a Knicks game in February.

Injured Chauncey Billups will coach the Killer 3s on Sunday.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/12/lavar-ball-accepts-ice-cubes-challenge-will-play-in-big3-sunday/

Quote:

LaVar Ball accepts Ice Cube’s challenge, will play in Big3 Sunday

Back in May, Big3 co-founder and promoter Ice Cube jumped on the “LaVar Ball will respond to anything” bandwagon and challenged Lonzo’s father to come out and play in a Big3 event and hit a four pointer. (If you haven’t been paying attention, the Big3 league has some four-point spots on the floor beyond the three-point arc.)

LaVar has accepted — and said if he hits a four Ice Cube has to buy Ball’s AAU team all Big Baller Brand shoes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lavarbigballer/status/896113949933948929

I’m a little surprised all-talk LaVar is stepping on the court, but it will make games Sunday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles a little more interesting.

Also this week, Charles Oakley is going to suit up and play, plus Snoop Dogg is performing at halftime of one of the games. That’s the one thing that may top Red Panda at half.
deal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/12/lavar-ball-accepts-ice-cubes-challenge-will-play-in-big3-sunday/

Quote:

LaVar Ball accepts Ice Cube’s challenge, will play in Big3 Sunday

Back in May, Big3 co-founder and promoter Ice Cube jumped on the “LaVar Ball will respond to anything” bandwagon and challenged Lonzo’s father to come out and play in a Big3 event and hit a four pointer. (If you haven’t been paying attention, the Big3 league has some four-point spots on the floor beyond the three-point arc.)

LaVar has accepted — and said if he hits a four Ice Cube has to buy Ball’s AAU team all Big Baller Brand shoes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lavarbigballer/status/896113949933948929

I’m a little surprised all-talk LaVar is stepping on the court, but it will make games Sunday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles a little more interesting.

Also this week, Charles Oakley is going to suit up and play, plus Snoop Dogg is performing at halftime of one of the games. That’s the one thing that may top Red Panda at half.

Ice Cube blows him away
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20336225/ice-cube-beats-lavar-ball-big3-4-point-challenge
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: