Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Best Spanish player under 30? As of right now, it's clearly Isco. He might be the best player in Madrid.

You also have Carvajal, probably the best right back in the world.

David de Gea, Thiago, Asensio, Koke, Morata, etc. All young and talented players.

Isco? He gets a lot of hype, I suppose. Otherwise, you've got a right back and some guys who don't play in La Liga (which was specified in my question). When you get down to guys like Asensio and Koke, you're making my point. This generation of Spanish players is unremarkable, at least compared to the previous generation.

I have a feeling you don't watch much non-EPL soccer. Sorry I missed the La Liga part.

Speaking of Asensio, numerous Spanish managers have praised him and regard him as the best young Spanish talent in years. Madrid bought him as a teenager, loaned him out, and then he made the team and he's still 20. Asensio, by the way, played with the Spanish U21 team that just lost 0-1 to Germany in the final of the European Championship. So there's plenty of young talent coming up. Some of them still play with lesser teams in Spain, but are owned by Barcelona, Madrid, and Atletico.

Isco actually doesn't get a lot of hype, even though he's a remarkable player. I wish more people knew about him.

Koke is unfortunate to have some great players ahead of him, but he'd be starting on most European national teams and has been a crucial player on a team that has made two CL finals.

What's wrong with being a right back? Carvajal is the best right back in the world, playing for the two time defending European champion. (He's had a crappy preseason, though, hopefully he'll improve).

Spain is in a good position. Heck, Spain has always been talented, ever since the 60s, but didn't get it done at major competitions. Is the next generation as strong as the last one? No. But it doesn't mean it's unremarkable. Spain will continue to be a major football nation.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I don't disagree with anything you said, but you missed the point of my post.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Best Spanish player under 30? As of right now, it's clearly Isco. He might be the best player in Madrid.

You also have Carvajal, probably the best right back in the world.

David de Gea, Thiago, Asensio, Koke, Morata, etc. All young and talented players.

Isco? He gets a lot of hype, I suppose. Otherwise, you've got a right back and some guys who don't play in La Liga (which was specified in my question). When you get down to guys like Asensio and Koke, you're making my point. This generation of Spanish players is unremarkable, at least compared to the previous generation.

I have a feeling you don't watch much non-EPL soccer. Sorry I missed the La Liga part.

Speaking of Asensio, numerous Spanish managers have praised him and regard him as the best young Spanish talent in years. Madrid bought him as a teenager, loaned him out, and then he made the team and he's still 20. Asensio, by the way, played with the Spanish U21 team that just lost 0-1 to Germany in the final of the European Championship. So there's plenty of young talent coming up. Some of them still play with lesser teams in Spain, but are owned by Barcelona, Madrid, and Atletico.

Isco actually doesn't get a lot of hype, even though he's a remarkable player. I wish more people knew about him.

Koke is unfortunate to have some great players ahead of him, but he'd be starting on most European national teams and has been a crucial player on a team that has made two CL finals.

What's wrong with being a right back? Carvajal is the best right back in the world, playing for the two time defending European champion. (He's had a crappy preseason, though, hopefully he'll improve).

Spain is in a good position. Heck, Spain has always been talented, ever since the 60s, but didn't get it done at major competitions. Is the next generation as strong as the last one? No. But it doesn't mean it's unremarkable. Spain will continue to be a major football nation.

Compared to the previous generation though, they arent great.

The fact that their predecessors were so good gives them a bit of an edge, i.e., he is spanish, they've been good for sometime now.. so he must be good!

Perfect example is Iker Muniain.. everyone would of told you 5-6 years ago that this dude was a world class player in the making -- what happened then? Still a formidable player.. but nothing like the benefit of the doubt he was given.

Spain is ok talent wise though, but Germany is very far ahead (as far as im concerned) in europe, and south american teams tend to give them a FAIRLY hard time, especially teams like chile and colombia who have fantastic work rates. I do think their reign of dominance ended after the 2012 eurocup though, so its been several years since they've been the team to beat. Struggles will probably increase more once Sergio Ramos retires.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I think part of the reason they began to struggle was that their style of play was no longer effective. Passing the ball 700 times per game no longer produced lots of goals. Other coaches did their homework. If it wasn't for Messi, Barcelona's tiki taka would be far more exposed as well. But he tends to eliminate the limitations of the tactics.

Germany SHOULD be far ahead of Spain, considering that they have, by far, the best system in the world. Their facilities, coaches, discipline are remarkable. They're German. And their pool of players is twice as big.

I lived in Germany for a while, played with a youth team, and witnessed it first hand. My problem was that I wasn't very talented.

One of the reasons Spain couldn't get it done for decades, even though they were very talented, was because they don't have the work ethic of the Germans. Tony Kroos actually noticed that when he transferred to Madrid. He said something like, "they're too relaxed." Germans always play well in tournaments, even though they might not have the best individual stars.

As I said, compared to the greatest generation, any generation wouldn't look as good. But Spain will be fine. They will still go far in tournaments.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Chelsea enjoying that "Mourinho season"
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Only the first game of the season, but I like what I'm seeing...
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Great start to the premier league season. Went to the Emirates on Friday night for the first game, was really uncomfortable when Arsenal were losing, but the crowd was buzzing at 3-3 then went crazy at Giroud's winner. Even the train ride home was still hyped up

Utd looked really good today, they could have a great season if they can keep playing like that.

Had a good weekend man, went to Arsenal on Friday night then Bolt last race on Sat.

See Neymar scored on his debut tonight too, hopefully there are a few high profile deals left in the transfer window, love a bit of late drama

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Suarez dive? You decide.

RONNY!!

Ronny

UEFAlona? The judges reveal their scores... Apparently they're more impressed with Suarez.

Asensio beauty.

Last edited by Gatekeeper on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

You might call me a homer, but that Suarez dive was worse than Ronaldo's. Ref clearly (bleep) up there, giving a red on a dive after a shirt yellow. And then Ronaldo decides to push the ref. Stupid, stupid, stupid. That second yellow might have been rescinded, but now he'll serve a suspension for pushing the ref.

Asension, btw. What a golazo! And what a pass that led to Ronaldo's red. I'm telling you, he'll be a star.

Asensio has now scored on his:

- UEFA Super Cup debut
- La Liga debut
- CDR debut
- Spanish Super Cup debut
- UEFA Champions League debut

Ronaldo also scored a great one, but that red ruined it.

And Pique also scored a good one.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

The EPL will shorten the transfer window so that it closes before the season starts. I'm surprised that this took so long.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3179979/premier-league-set-to-move-summer-transfer-deadline-up-reports
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The EPL will shorten the transfer window so that it closes before the season starts. I'm surprised that this took so long.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3179979/premier-league-set-to-move-summer-transfer-deadline-up-reports

Well then that's it, Levy is screwed.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Great start to the premier league season. Went to the Emirates on Friday night for the first game, was really uncomfortable when Arsenal were losing, but the crowd was buzzing at 3-3 then went crazy at Giroud's winner. Even the train ride home was still hyped up

Glad you had a good time. I was wondering whether Leicester would bounce back this year. The answer appears to be yes. I won't be surprised if they wind up in the 8-10 range, or even a little better if Vardy keeps scoring.

It will be interesting to see how Liverpool fares against Hoffenheim. It will also be interesting to see how the sagas play out with Coutinho and Dembele. I can't blame clubs like LFC and BVB for getting sick of this stuff.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Stupid of Ronaldo to push a ref. No love for that prima donna. I hope he spends the 5 games crying in a black basement.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

What made me chuckle is that it all happened because the prima donna took his shirt off and drew a stupid yellow. Otherwise, the dive is just a yellow card, albeit a dubious yellow.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

What made me chuckle is that it all happened because the prima donna took his shirt off and drew a stupid yellow.

Messi did the same thing at Bernabeu last season, and what Ronaldo did was "retaliation." I think it was cool what Messi did and what Ronaldo did. But Ronaldo didn't know that he'd be sent off later in the game for a non-dive.

Madrid will probably appeal the yellow, which was not a dive if you look at it closely. He and the defender collided, he lost his balance. Not enough to be a penalty, but not a dive.

The four game suspension for the push was the minimum, so the federation probably realized that the ref made a mistake, but you can't undo the push, so Ronaldo has to serve the suspension. However, if the second yellow is rescinded, he'll only serve four games for the push. The one game in super copa, and three in la liga. Not too bad. The games, on paper at least, aren't difficult.

I hope this convinces the club that we need a striker, if the team struggles to score without him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

That's why I called it a dubious yellow in the part of my post that you snipped.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Moses wrote:

Glad you had a good time. I was wondering whether Leicester would bounce back this year. The answer appears to be yes. I won't be surprised if they wind up in the 8-10 range, or even a little better if Vardy keeps scoring.

It will be interesting to see how Liverpool fares against Hoffenheim. It will also be interesting to see how the sagas play out with Coutinho and Dembele. I can't blame clubs like LFC and BVB for getting sick of this stuff.

What cracks me up is they all do this type of stuff (e.g. bullying a smaller or inferior team into selling their best player to them), but when a club like Barca gets some of their own medicine with Neymar they cry about it. Now what are they trying to do with Coutinho and/or Dembele?

Hoping Arsenal start to look good once they get something resembling a defence out there.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Moses wrote:

What cracks me up is they all do this type of stuff (e.g. bullying a smaller or inferior team into selling their best player to them), but when a club like Barca gets some of their own medicine with Neymar they cry about it. Now what are they trying to do with Coutinho and/or Dembele?

Hoping Arsenal start to look good once they get something resembling a defence out there.

Please tell Arsene to sign VVD, so we can all have a good laugh at Liverpool.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

CSKA - YOUNG BOYS winning goal.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Everton signed Sigurdsson from Swansea... they're going to do damage this season.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

Utd looked really good today, they could have a great season if they can keep playing like that.

Had a good weekend man, went to Arsenal on Friday night then Bolt last race on Sat.

See Neymar scored on his debut tonight too, hopefully there are a few high profile deals left in the transfer window, love a bit of late drama

Lacazette looks to be a fantastic fit for Arsenal. I agree with Thierry Henry that the team will need to play more direct football to get the most out of their star striker.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Asensio golazo 1-0

Benzema 2-0

PSG trolling barca.

Ramos being Ramos
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Modric is playing on another level right now. He's toying with the opposition. His poise, ball control, movement, passing...wow. It reminds me of Xavi/Iniesta in their prime.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

WUT??

Segura wrote:
"we're close to signing Coutinho and Dembele but until it's closed I can't say anything".

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

German media is now reporting that there has been no contact between Barcelona and BVB for nine days. This Dembele thing is getting weird. Supposedly he has left Germany. Meanwhile, Costa is doing something similar with Chelsea. Coutinho is apparently taking the high road compared to those two.

What a mess. I predict that Barcelona will pay Liverpool's price and get Coutinho. Dembele may get left on an island. I think Abramovich may decide to make an example of Costa.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13
Jump to: