Report: Grizzlies about to hire Tayshaun Prince for front office job

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Report: Grizzlies about to hire Tayshaun Prince for front office job

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/16/report-grizzlies-about-to-hire-tayshaun-prince-for-front-office-job/

Quote:
Report: Grizzlies about to hire Tayshaun Prince for front office job

Tayshaun Prince spent 14 years in the NBA as a long, defensive minded wing, one of the early “3&D” guys but one who, in his prime, could be more than that. He won a ring in Detroit in 2004 and was a four-time NBA All-Defense selection.

Now he’s stepping into the front office.

The Grizzlies, one of his former teams, is about to hire him, reports Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Retired forward Tayshaun Prince will soon be named special assistant to Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace, according to several NBA sources…

Prince is widely considered a big influence in NBA locker rooms and operated as a calming voice with Grizzlies players.

The Grizzlies believe Prince will bring a unique voice to front office decisions.

Prince came to the Grizzlies in the Rudy Gay trade and made a real impression there — and elsewhere — as a locker room leader and rational voice. He was in the NBA until last season.

This could and should be a good hire for a Grizzlies team transitioning out of the “grit n’ grind” era (albeit slowly, they could still bring Tony Allen back). The best GMs don’t go it alone but get information and perspectives from a lot of sources, and a high IQ former player would be a good one.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

I didn't realize he finally retired. He had an okay career, but he never lived up to the hype after the '04 Finals. He should be a reminder to everyone that it is an error to overrate someone based on a big performance in the playoffs. But we still make that mistake every year. The hype said that Prince was the next superstar, sort of in the mold of what Kawhi Leonard later became. The reality is that he was a better version of Marvin Williams.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I didn't realize he finally retired. He had an okay career, but he never lived up to the hype after the '04 Finals. He should be a reminder to everyone that it is an error to overrate someone based on a big performance in the playoffs. But we still make that mistake every year. The hype said that Prince was the next superstar, sort of in the mold of what Kawhi Leonard later became. The reality is that he was a better version of Marvin Williams.

I don't ever remember him being touted as the next superstar, got anything to back that assertion up?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I don't ever remember him being touted as the next superstar, got anything to back that assertion up?

Memory. There were people saying that they would take him over Kobe.

But since I'm kicking back with a cigar and have time to kill, I made a quick prayer to Saint Google. It was answered:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/article/OP/20050324/NEWS/303249968

There was a lot more along those lines back in the day.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Better or worse than Shane Battier?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Better, but not by a wide margin.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

He and Trevor Ariza should start a club. One good playoff made each of them a lot of money.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Memory. There were people saying that they would take him over Kobe.

But since I'm kicking back with a cigar and have time to kill, I made a quick prayer to Saint Google. It was answered:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/article/OP/20050324/NEWS/303249968

There was a lot more along those lines back in the day.

Damn don't remember that. Anyway the guy didn't have the offensive game to become a superstar, what was that writer thinking?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think you were listening to different hype than I was. I remember Prince as a good team player who could defend and hit the 3. I don't remember him supposing to be a star.

Good to see these former players getting a shot at the FO.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think you were listening to different hype than I was. I remember Prince as a good team player who could defend and hit the 3. I don't remember him supposing to be a star.

His "next superstar" window was relatively short, right after the '04 Finals. "All he needs to do is work on his jump shot." That line should be a red flag whenever you hear it. Some guys are never going to do it.

Anyway, Prince spent four years in college, which is a key point that a lot of people missed. He had been in the league for only two years, but in hindsight we can see that he was pretty much a fully formed player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: