OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Kuzma looks to have a lot more offensive talent than Nance.

I expect that he will struggle on defense.

His 3 point shooting is the real deal. 10 games in College + Summer league He has been lights out.

I doubt the Lakers expected him to be available when the made the Russell Trade.

Russell trade made to get rid of Moz + they didn't like Russell fit on the team

We were lucky on Russell trade Kuzma makes this trade a good one for us

Kuzman is a rookie but he makes Nance expendable by trade deadline unless the decide that Randle is not a long term answer then they will trade him.

Expect some struggles but kid is really well rounded and just scratching his potential. Will be in rotation.

I think you may be underestimating his defensive acumen. Sure he will struggle initially like all rookies do, but I believe that defense will end up being one of his strengths. Per his coach at the SPL, Kuzma was directing the defense while he was on the floor, talking to people and telling them where to go.

To me this demonstrates the willingness to invest time and effort in playing defense on his part. IMO willingness to play D is more than half the battle when it comes to becoming a good defender.

The other part of being a good defender is obviously your physical tools. Kuz has good speed and quickness for his size and decent length. Not going to be a great post defender, but I believe he will be a valuable perimeter defender.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Does he have the highest shooting ceiling of anyone on the team?
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Does he have the highest shooting ceiling of anyone on the team?

I asked google and this is what I got back
https://www.google.com/search?q=kyle+kuzma+age&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAx8SX0tfVAhVI3IMKHWAdB3UQvwUIIygA&biw=1536&bih=759&dpr=1.25

I'm going to say no
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
2K was tripping

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXs_5r0hYfz/

#3 pick vs. #27 pick. His initial rating is going to be lower.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
“I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless […] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so we’re really, really excited about him.”
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:
“I think Kyle Kuzma becomes a posterchild, in a sense of just representing that game of a player that can do everything and is positionless […] He just had a spirit in his step, just an aggressiveness and a chip on his shoulder. He plays in attack mode at all times, I think we saw that in Summer League so we’re really, really excited about him.”

I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:

I'm trying hard not to be so high about him after one of best summer league performances from a Lakers rookie from the last 20 years and Pelinka comes with this kind of words towards the kid.

Those guys have access to our players in day to day basis and they know what we have and unlike some players that perform well training but can't repeat it in games, Kuzma was a focal point in Utah and delivered all summer league stepping up in the finals when we didn't have our MVP.

Expectations are high.

I think too that when Rob mentioned Kuzma being positionless, it's even more conformation that Kuzma will get more minutes at the wing position as well.

Which is great because I REALLY DON'T WANT to see crap like Brewer and Deng there.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:

Expectations are high.

I think too that when Rob mentioned Kuzma being positionless, it's even more conformation that Kuzma will get more minutes at the wing position as well.

Which is great because I REALLY DON'T WANT to see crap like Brewer and Deng there.

Brewer is an expiring contract... trade value

Deng... expiring 3 yr contract...
naha
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

This kid is good. I watch a lot of Pac 12 basketball and this kid can play.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Rob Pelinka quote:

Quote:

Expectations are high.

Clear thinking wise posters make it clear that we should beware of the next Tierre Brown, Laron Profit, or Devin Ebanks. Ok, fair enough. We're cautioned that Summer Leagues are filled with scrub competition. Still, Kuzma was the top (co?) defender in the Pac 12. Then he got on the radar in a deep draft with an excellent performance against talented guys.

Unfortunately, 80% Combine shooting was too good to be true but he confidently shot 48% during the next 8 games, including defenders he will see again, such as Jason Tatum and Hollis-Jefferson. He was every bit as good as Tatum, and showed he won't be stopped by Jefferson's highly rated d. Kuzma showed me the relentlessness and quickness I want to see in every player, even when he switched to someone small. Like they say about Lonzo, you can't teach that.

We all saw it. We can pretend that any of the past comparisons performed well more than a game or 2. This guy wasn't just hot one day, he sustained a high level of play that included a lot of special things on both ends. His ability will force him into the rotation. Once he gets there, because of his agressiveness, he will be more effective for Lonzo than TJ Leaf. No way these guys, with improving returnees, a deep quality bench, and Lopez and KCP, finish below .500

Pelinka has seen what he has up close and is apparently is more excited about Kuzma than people who want to be sure he's for real.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

One thing I like about Kuzma is that his defense should light a fire under Randle that he better be giving his best or someone else who's capable will. Also, Nance has to be willing to take and make or miss shots. Be a threat, because playing time is no longer guaranteed.

No doubt Lonzo will have a positive effect on this team. I think Kuzma will too and there will be a cultural change in aggressive team play, as well as on defense.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Kuzma showed me the relentlessness and quickness I want to see in every player ... you can't teach that.

Competitors

The major will to win
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Very excited about Kuz. Finally gives us some 3 point shooting at the PF position, something Jules/Nance haven't given us at this point.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

In comparing Randle, Nance and Kuzma, Kuzma is the most versatile offensively and Nance is the best defender of these three. In the very near future Randle will be the most expensive of the three to keep. If the Lakers intend to sign two max contracts next year , his salary extension may become an issue. In this coming season if Randle plays like 1/2 of Lebron 2.0 or by some miracle of God Lakers are able to trade Deng with maybe another player like Clarkson are 2 of a few far out scenarios that helps Randle.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Unless randle has as draymond green type renaissance I think he gets traded for assets. Maybe as a package to unload deng and leave 2019 room.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Very excited about Kuz. Finally gives us some 3 point shooting at the PF position, something Jules/Nance haven't given us at this point.

2016-17 PFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Frye, Anderson, Ibaka, Love, Porzingis, Ilyasova, M Williams

2016-17 SFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Porter Jr, CJ Miles, Snell, Crowder, Hayward, George, Galo, Kawhi, Durant, Ross, LeBron, Melo

That's 19 guys in the league at forward who shoot a good % at a material volume.

I want to see Kuzma join that list
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
In comparing Randle, Nance and Kuzma, Kuzma is the most versatile offensively and Nance is the best defender of these three. In the very near future Randle will be the most expensive of the three to keep. If the Lakers intend to sign two max contracts next year , his salary extension may become an issue. In this coming season if Randle plays like 1/2 of Lebron 2.0 or by some miracle of God Lakers are able to trade Deng with maybe another player like Clarkson are 2 of a few far out scenarios that helps Randle.

Kuzma's not more versatile offensively than Randle.

Kuzma can hit threes does not equal more versatility.

Kuzma can hit threes.

Randle is better than him in the fast break offense
Randle doesn't need another point guard to set up his offense in the fast break as he can do it himself while handling the ball.
Randle's better at creating offense in the half court
Randle can get his own shot off against NBA competition in an Iso situations.
He is a better passer and playmaker in the fast break.
He's a better finisher in general.

The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.

This just echo's when people were saying how Nance was more versatile than Randle and would take his starting spot after his Summer League performance as well.

Randle isn't the guy that should be worried about Kuzma's emergence. Nance, Deng and Zubac should be.

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

2016-17 PFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Frye, Anderson, Ibaka, Love, Porzingis, Ilyasova, M Williams

2016-17 SFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Porter Jr, CJ Miles, Snell, Crowder, Hayward, George, Galo, Kawhi, Durant, Ross, LeBron, Melo

That's 19 guys in the league at forward who shoot a good % at a material volume.

I want to see Kuzma join that list

Would be nice, if he could do that I'd see him playing a lot of backup 3 and Deng could be in trouble.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Randle isn't the guy that should be worried about Kuzma's emergence. Nance, Deng and Zubac should be.
If Kuzma emerges as a PF who can hit the 3 and play strong defense, Randle should worry too. The above discussion was all about offensive abilities. My hope is that Walton is going to require some defensive effort to get significant minutes this next year. If Walton gets significantly better defense from Kuzma than Randle, Randle is going to find himself sitting on the bench quite a bit. Until we see Kuzma against real NBA players, however, this is all hypothetical.

Actually, I would also remove Deng's name and add Brewer's to your list. Until I see otherwise, I think Deng will have injuries for the rest of his career that will keep him from playing even a moderate amount of minutes. He has a great contract for 3 more years, why should he worry? He should be the happiest guy in the Southern California.

Brewer, on the other hand, may lose a significant amount of playing time. Magic has already stated that he wants Kuzma to play sf. If that pans out, Brewer is going to have a hard time getting off the bench and, subsequently, getting his next contract.

--Anonymous
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:

The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.

I'd definitely argue this.

With Kuzma, with my romper room magnifying glass, I see:
Better court vision
Better floor recognition/decision-making
Better switch defense (surprised me when he went onto wings)
Better HC execution, explores offensive options, but doesn't stop ball

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I would save judgment on who I like better (Julius vs Kyle) after I see Julius playing with Lonzo first. And then I'd like to see Kyle do the same against non-summer league guys.

After that, I think we'll have a better idea.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

The Kuz/Randle debate is fun. Can't wait to see it play out. Personally prioritize shooting
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Kuz/Randle debate is fun. Can't wait to see it play out. Personally prioritize shooting

Shooting

Defense

and then whatever else is left.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Better court vision

Adding to that:

Better rolling off the screen.
Better popping off the screen.
Better when changing ends off the ball (kind of a big deal with Lonzo...hopefully Randle figures this out).
Defensively, way better at communication.

Like epak said, it will be interesting to see how Julius adapts to playing with Zo. Maybe he cleans up some of his areas.

The decision will likely be down to whether he gets it done on the defensive end. We've got to figure out keeping Randle vs. Lopez vs. Clarkson vs. KCP vs. free agent. If the light bulb doesn't go off or energy isn't there on D for Julius, then Kuzma and Nance are cheaper alternatives even if Randle turns out slightly better impact.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Shooting

Defense

and then whatever else is left.

100% , from the PF position. Playmaking is ancillary, and Kuzma provides enough of it, while arguably doing it in a more efficient style than Randle

I give Kuzma the defensive edge as well, although I'm interested to see if Randle can indeed improve to Average on that end (being better conditioned) . Kuz probably won't be average himself his rookie year, so that side of the ball will be "meh" for both players this year, in my assumption
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Better court vision

Adding to that:

Better rolling off the screen.
Better popping off the screen.
Better when changing ends off the ball (kind of a big deal with Lonzo...hopefully Randle figures this out).
Defensively, way better at communication.

Like epak said, it will be interesting to see how Julius adapts to playing with Zo. Maybe he cleans up some of his areas.

The decision will likely be down to whether he gets it done on the defensive end. We've got to figure out keeping Randle vs. Lopez vs. Clarkson vs. KCP vs. free agent. If the light bulb doesn't go off or energy isn't there on D for Julius, then Kuzma and Nance are cheaper alternatives even if Randle turns out slightly better impact.

I pretty much agree with all of thee above. Hopefully Luke gives Kuzma a shot to prove he can do it in the NBA. My instincts tell me that wont come this season though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 74 of 880
Jump to: