2017-2018 GENERAL FOOTBALL (SOCCER) THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
German media is now reporting that there has been no contact between Barcelona and BVB for nine days. This Dembele thing is getting weird. Supposedly he has left Germany. Meanwhile, Costa is doing something similar with Chelsea. Coutinho is apparently taking the high road compared to those two.

What a mess. I predict that Barcelona will pay Liverpool's price and get Coutinho. Dembele may get left on an island. I think Abramovich may decide to make an example of Costa.

best part is how barca fans cried about the neymar saga.. now their team takes a (bleep) road lmfao.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
best part is how barca fans cried about the neymar saga.. now their team takes a (bleep) road lmfao.

A brief rant:

The fan vs. fan culture doesn't do much for me. As best I can tell, the hardcore fans of all the big Euro clubs are hypocritical lunatics. What unites them is that they all love to talk trash about each other. I guess if you lived next door to the rival fans, it would be understandable, albeit a bit juvenile. But the Euro snobs on this side of the pond are just pathetic. You see people with a tenuous connection to a club talking trash about the fans of another club with whom they have only a tenuous rivalry. Basically, we're talking about football posers. Most of them have bought into the romantic myth that fans in Europe are all lifelong fanatics for their clubs, and they believe that this is the way that all fans in Europe behave. The truth is that the average fan in Europe regards people like that as silly.

Anyway, I didn't mean that as a shot at you or anyone else here. I've just been getting fed up with Euro snobs who think buying an EPL or La Liga jersey gives them some special insight into the sport, but who really aren't capable of doing much except talking trash about fans of other teams. It's like the old EPL Fan Zone broadcast staffed with American posers.

Rant over.

As for Barcelona, I think the problem is what I talked about a couple pages ago. Now that the golden generation of Spanish players has passed, Barca has to compete for players on the international market. It was a shock to their collective psyche that one of the mercenaries would jump to a higher bidder. Or, more to the point I suppose, it was a shock to their collective psyche that players are mercenaries in the first place and that they are not all intoxicated by the glory of Barcelona. As the golden generation of Spanish players fades away, this will be a recurring theme.

This may not be the year it happens, but eventually some of the clubs are going to start making a statement. A contract is a contract. If you take our money, we expect you to play. If you want out, we'll talk about it. If it's in our interest, we'll go along with it. If it's not in our interest, and you act like a petulant child, we are not going to reward you.

It will happen sooner or later.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

I know I've been taking the piss on FC Barcelona for their recent transfer activity, but I take a moment to express my condolences to the city for today's abhorrent terrorist attack; real life is more important than 22 players kicking a ball on the football pitch.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Looks like United have an interest in signing Lemar according to Mourinho's mouthpiece Duncan Castles.

Manchester United weigh up move for Monaco star Thomas Lemar
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject:

Interesting. Chelsea is really letting Costa twist in the wind. Costa seems to be coming to the dawning realization that he might not be in control of the situation:

Quote:
But in an exclusive interview with ESPN Brasil, Costa admitted that Atletico are not close to meeting Chelsea's valuation despite weeks of negotiations, and he knows he will have to change his plans if the Blues refuse to compromise.

"I've demonstrated I care for Atletico and have interest in playing for them," he told ESPN Brasil's Joao Castelo-Branco. "But if Atletico and Chelsea don't come to an agreement and Atletico don't make a big effort, I can't keep on wanting to play for a club that isn't going to make a bigger effort to try and sign me.

"I know that this [big effort] will happen, but if it's to pay the amount that Chelsea want it won't be possible.

"What I know is that this offer Chelsea will get is bigger than what they paid [when they signed Costa from Atletico for £32 million in July 2014], so I've given them something back in all senses [sporting and financial]."

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3182545/diego-costa-chelsea-must-lower-asking-price-with-atletico-move-in-doubt

Who knows? Maybe Abramovich will go ahead and make an example out of Costa.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
marga86 wrote:

A brief rant:

The fan vs. fan culture doesn't do much for me. As best I can tell, the hardcore fans of all the big Euro clubs are hypocritical lunatics. What unites them is that they all love to talk trash about each other. I guess if you lived next door to the rival fans, it would be understandable, albeit a bit juvenile. But the Euro snobs on this side of the pond are just pathetic. You see people with a tenuous connection to a club talking trash about the fans of another club with whom they have only a tenuous rivalry. Basically, we're talking about football posers. Most of them have bought into the romantic myth that fans in Europe are all lifelong fanatics for their clubs, and they believe that this is the way that all fans in Europe behave. The truth is that the average fan in Europe regards people like that as silly.

Anyway, I didn't mean that as a shot at you or anyone else here. I've just been getting fed up with Euro snobs who think buying an EPL or La Liga jersey gives them some special insight into the sport, but who really aren't capable of doing much except talking trash about fans of other teams. It's like the old EPL Fan Zone broadcast staffed with American posers.

Rant over.

As for Barcelona, I think the problem is what I talked about a couple pages ago. Now that the golden generation of Spanish players has passed, Barca has to compete for players on the international market. It was a shock to their collective psyche that one of the mercenaries would jump to a higher bidder. Or, more to the point I suppose, it was a shock to their collective psyche that players are mercenaries in the first place and that they are not all intoxicated by the glory of Barcelona. As the golden generation of Spanish players fades away, this will be a recurring theme.

This may not be the year it happens, but eventually some of the clubs are going to start making a statement. A contract is a contract. If you take our money, we expect you to play. If you want out, we'll talk about it. If it's in our interest, we'll go along with it. If it's not in our interest, and you act like a petulant child, we are not going to reward you.

It will happen sooner or later.

I love watching top euro teams self destruct, it's great. A big part of that is because i follow no team in europe -- my emotional/cultural connections come with a team from my country, which represent my values.

I can't say i feel that way for any european team, i just cant. Following a football team is more than just watching them win. I'm sure real, barca, united, etc. have some of the most loyal followers, true at heart. It's just hard for me to believe some dude that grew up 5000 miles away and has nothing to do with any of the european countries can actually find SOME connection to the club -- weird, but it's just the way i'm wire. I think they are just glory hunters.

I watch european football to mainly follow players i like, especially latin american players who i feel are good enough to make an impact in europe (after they leave latin america).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

That's pretty much the way I am. My rant was motivated by some particularly obnoxious Euro snobs who adopted their teams like five years ago and who seem to feel compelled to act like the negative stereotype of football nuts in Europe. Enough about that. I just needed to vent.

On a separate subject, according to Counter Attack, the numbers in the Coutinho bid are inflated. It's like 80M euros over five years, plus a bunch of add-ons that may or may not happen, One of the add-ons requires Coutinho to win the Ballon D'Or and multiple trophies in the same year. Some of them are more realistic than that. This makes LFC's position more understandable.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I love watching top euro teams self destruct, it's great. A big part of that is because i follow no team in europe -- my emotional/cultural connections come with a team from my country, which represent my values.

I can't say i feel that way for any european team, i just cant. Following a football team is more than just watching them win. I'm sure real, barca, united, etc. have some of the most loyal followers, true at heart. It's just hard for me to believe some dude that grew up 5000 miles away and has nothing to do with any of the european countries can actually find SOME connection to the club -- weird, but it's just the way i'm wire. I think they are just glory hunters.

I watch european football to mainly follow players i like, especially latin american players who i feel are good enough to make an impact in europe (after they leave latin america).

Well, I wasn't lucky enough to be born in Spain, but I think my credentials are pretty good for a Real Madrid fan outside of Spain (I was born in Yugoslavia). My dad became a fan in 1966 when Real Madrid beat his favorite Yugoslav team, Partizan Belgrade, in the final of the European Cup. He was mesmerized by their playing style and followed them as much as he could, considering he lived in Yugoslavia. I also became a fan in the mid 1980s when I was a little kid, watching players like Hugo Sanchez and Emilio Butragueno. (Coincidentally, that's also when I became a Laker fan, after Yugoslav Vlade Divac was drafted). When other kids in the neighborhood were wearing jerseys of Yugoslav clubs, I was the only one with a Madrid shirt. When we moved to the United States in the late 1990s, it was initially hard to follow the team intensely because their games weren't shown on TV, but now you can watch every game, every friendly, and every practice if you want to. I managed to see the team live a few times, including a game at the Bernabeu a few years ago. I'm planning to go to Madrid again later this year. I just watched them play against United in Santa Clara with my dad. As much as I post on this board, I post a lot more on a Real Madrid board. I own tons of merchandise, and one of the rooms in my house is completely dedicated to Madrid.

As far as the whole Catalonia vs Castile rivalry, I obviously don't have a personal connection to that, but I've studied the issue in depth. I happen to be a historian and teach Spanish history as part of my Modern Europe course. I spend more time on Spain than my colleagues do, who sadly mention that part of Europe mostly in passing. I use the Real Madrid vs Barcelona rivalry as an example of how the tension between centralism and regionalism has dominated Spanish politics for many decades. So I understand the passion involved in that rivalry, even though I'm an outsider. When I see Catalan flags at Camp Nou or banners that read "Catalonia is not Spain," it bothers me a bit because I come from a country that was destroyed by separatism. At the same time, I understand where they're coming from because Catalonia, and thus FC Barcelona, were marginalized during Franco's time, even though the history is a lot more complicated than "Franco supported Real Madrid, hated FC Barcelona," since Barcelona won plenty of titles during those years.

Since I love Spanish history, culture, and food, my dream retirement would be to live on the Andalusian coast.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

Wowww Man U...
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
Wowww Man U...

Top of the league! AGAIN!

Pogba showing he's worth that "mammoth" fee. Martial coming back to his form from a couple seasons ago. Can't wait to go up against some title contenders.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

It looks like Ibra may re-sign with Man U after all. His recovery must be going remarkably well.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3184462/zlatan-ibrahimovic-to-sign-new-man-united-contract-this-week-sources

Comments on the weekend's games:

Arsenal is better than I expected. Yes, they lost to Stoke, but they dominated the game. The Stoke goalkeeper made some great plays, the referee made 2-3 dodgy calls, and Stoke had one moment of brilliance. It just happens sometimes.

I thought the 2-0 result flattered Chelsea quite a bit, but the bigger story is that Wembley may be getting into Tottenham's head. You can easily imagine a disappointing season followed by the roster getting cherrypicked by bigger clubs.

Everton must have done something to offend the schedule makers. They play Man City tomorrow, then Chelsea, Tottenham, and Man U.

Anyone jumping on the Huddersfield bandwagon? I'd consider it, but I doubt that I could find Huddersfield on a map.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

44 passes lead to a goal, the most in the last 10 years in La Liga. Every Madrid player touches the ball:

I think I read somewhere that the record in Premier League this year is 14.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject:

^^^^

Pathetic. Deportivo just sits back and watches RM pass the ball around. I understand the idea of parking the bus, but that was just embarrassing. The Deportivo players just keep backing off and backing off.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Wazza in good form...

The mythology of the two-fingered salute (for those curious)

Last edited by Gatekeeper on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

i saw that goal and i was like, hah united fans are smiling right now lmao..
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

Mbappe to PSG for 128M pounds? Oh, boy. The Qataris are basically flipping the bird at UEFA and daring them to enforce FFP.

Meanwhile, the rumor mill says that Barcelona has thrown in the towel on Coutinho. There's a lot of negativity around Barca right now. It breaks my heart. There's even talk of Man City coughing up the money to trigger Messi's buyout clause. That would make me laugh. Barcelona would have about half a billion euros (including Neymar) that it couldn't really spend on anything before the window closes, and Man City would get Messi just as he is starting the downward spiral that comes with age.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mbappe to PSG for 128M pounds? Oh, boy. The Qataris are basically flipping the bird at UEFA and daring them to enforce FFP.

Meanwhile, the rumor mill says that Barcelona has thrown in the towel on Coutinho. There's a lot of negativity around Barca right now. It breaks my heart. There's even talk of Man City coughing up the money to trigger Messi's buyout clause. That would make me laugh. Barcelona would have about half a billion euros (including Neymar) that it couldn't really spend on anything before the window closes, and Man City would get Messi just as he is starting the downward spiral that comes with age.

Sarcasm?

Messi spiraling downward still walks the league; moot point though, he won't leave Camp Nou to chase trophies at some foreign league.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Yes. I really have nothing against Barcelona, but I got worn out by all the hype about how brilliant they were and how superior their system was. As for Messi, he's 30. He is still one of the best 3-5 players in the world, maybe still #1. Will he still be at that level in a year? Two years? Probably not. Spending 250M euros to trigger his buyout clause would be a dubious move. Anyway, until he actually signs his new contract with Barca, it's an open question.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yes. I really have nothing against Barcelona, but I got worn out by all the hype about how brilliant they were and how superior their system was. As for Messi, he's 30. He is still one of the best 3-5 players in the world, maybe still #1. Will he still be at that level in a year? Two years? Probably not. Spending 250M euros to trigger his buyout clause would be a dubious move. Anyway, until he actually signs his new contract with Barca, it's an open question.

Messi is still #1, by far. Greatest player of all time. His game should age well too, he is reliant on his skill more than athleticism, so it won't fade as much as other players.

He will still be the best player in the world in a year, two years, three years.

That being said, money in football is getting ridiculous, the concept of 250m on a single player is crazy, even for Messi. Especially with the premier league's reputation for being more physical, he's only one bad tackle away from a serious injury over here.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Messi is still #1, by far. Greatest player of all time. His game should age well too, he is reliant on his skill more than athleticism, so it won't fade as much as other players.

He will still be the best player in the world in a year, two years, three years.

That being said, money in football is getting ridiculous, the concept of 250m on a single player is crazy, even for Messi. Especially with the premier league's reputation for being more physical, he's only one bad tackle away from a serious injury over here.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Messi is still #1, by far.

I'd take Ronaldo, and I don't consider it to be close. Reasonable minds can differ.

Moses wrote:
His game should age well too, he is reliant on his skill more than athleticism, so it won't fade as much as other players.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say that about a player.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
44 passes lead to a goal, the most in the last 10 years in La Liga. Every Madrid player touches the ball:

I think I read somewhere that the record in Premier League this year is 14.

Reminded me of this goal vs So'ton
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Moses wrote:

I'd take Ronaldo, and I don't consider it to be close. Reasonable minds can differ.

Moses wrote:
His game should age well too, he is reliant on his skill more than athleticism, so it won't fade as much as other players.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say that about a player.

Curious what makes you take Ronnie instead? It's a very interesting debate most lads have in the UK, as football is such a big deal here.

I'd say that Ronaldo is a better athlete, freakish for a footballer. To me, Messi just has a level of skill to his game that no other player can replicate, he gets the same level of goals, but is involved in the creation of so many more.

It's interesting to compare Messi to a lot of players of similar style, what you notice is how many of those took their talents for granted and didn't take care of themselves physically (e.g. Maradona, Ronaldinho, Gazza, etc...), which I suppose is what will probably eventually set Messi apart as he ages.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'll never buy the messi GOAT argument until i see him do well outside of barcelona. He came up in a system that was basically tailored for 3 world class players, himself, messi, and iniesta.

That's not to say he isn't great in his own right.. I put em #3 all time, but to break into Pele or Maradona's level, you have to do it on the international stage. Add that to the fact that argentina TODAY is as talented as ever... yet messi still fails to impress with them and he loses some credibility. Maradona carried that 1986 team as hard as a team has ever been carried.

Some say it shouldnt matter, that's fine, but i can't say i agree. A tournament that comes 4 times a year and where money isn't the driving force behind the quality of your team says a lot about you greatness as a player.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Moses wrote:

Moses wrote:

Curious what makes you take Ronnie instead? It's a very interesting debate most lads have in the UK, as football is such a big deal here.

I'd say that Ronaldo is a better athlete, freakish for a footballer. To me, Messi just has a level of skill to his game that no other player can replicate, he gets the same level of goals, but is involved in the creation of so many more.

It's interesting to compare Messi to a lot of players of similar style, what you notice is how many of those took their talents for granted and didn't take care of themselves physically (e.g. Maradona, Ronaldinho, Gazza, etc...), which I suppose is what will probably eventually set Messi apart as he ages.

I'd argue that he hasnt he hasnt been that great for about a year; i see his games and he doesnt have the same explosion.

I actually disagree that part of his came doesn't rely on athleticism, he has a fantastic change of pace, which is what usually helps him beat defenders... and depending on your definition of skill, i'd argue he is significantly less skilled than the likes of ronaldo (original), zidane, ronaldinho, etc., his game is predicated on his fantastic ability to dribble in tight spaces.. Again, it depends what you mean by "skill" -- i tend to think the likes of zidane or dinho when i think skill.

One aspect that messi is great at that no one mentions is his passing ability. I think he actually one ups most of the "greats" in that aspect, he can put through balls on the money
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13
Jump to: