Ray Lewis: Michael Jordan told me he regrets playing for Wizards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Michael probably regrets he won't have the distinction of playing for one team his entire career. Key phrase
Quote:
This is the honest (bleep) truth. M.J. – I’ll never forget this – said to me, “The only thing I regret is putting on another uniform.

My guess is it's not so much about the distinction of playing for one team, it's more that when he retired the second time it was kind of a perfect ending. He was leaving after a 3 peat, and three finals MVPs. It would have been a spectacular way to go out. By coming back He kind of marred that. And he would have marred that if you'd come back for the Bulls as well, because he couldn't play that well at age 40
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Michael probably regrets he won't have the distinction of playing for one team his entire career. Key phrase
Quote:
This is the honest (bleep) truth. M.J. – I’ll never forget this – said to me, “The only thing I regret is putting on another uniform.

My guess is it's not so much about the distinction of playing for one team, it's more that when he retired the second time it was kind of a perfect ending. He was leaving after a 3 peat, and three finals MVPs. It would have been a spectacular way to go out. By coming back He kind of marred that. And he would have marred that if you'd come back for the Bulls as well, because he couldn't play that well at age 40

A lot of his fans in the media expected the old MJ to just show up and put on a show. All in all, he showed that one player can't do it by himself.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

A lot of his fans in the media expected the old MJ to just show up and put on a show. All in all, he showed that one player can't do it by himself.

There was a lot of excitement about him returning, but also lots of questions about how well he'd play at his age and whether his body would hold up. In the summer while he was training for the comeback, he cracked some ribs and got tendinitis, so I think overall people were more skeptical than you remember. (I also remember Barkley training to try to play with him but his body broke down). I'd say the reaction was more, "Hmm, this could be interesting," then, "He's gonna be amazing!"

He played pretty well for a 39-year-old with years of rust and a battered body; I think he put up something like 24-5-6 as a starter before he got hurt. I believe their winning percentage with him as a starter would have gotten them into the playoffs, or maybe just miss it by a hair, but he missed 22 games and they were terrible when he was off the court. Every home game was sold out and their TV ratings jumped.

So all in all, he did OK. At the time, I remember that I thought it was kind of a lark and publicity stunt, and didn't pay much attention myself.

Jordan got pissed because he said Abe Polin reneged on a promise to let him return to president after the comeback -- that may be the real reason it left such a sour taste in his mouth.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Jordan probably came back because of that addiction to competition and winning. It's probably the same reason why he got addicted to gambling, or why Magic or Brett Favre also made futile comeback attempts. It shows how being a demon competitor is a double edged sword.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: