Netflix MCU - The Defenders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Netflix MCU - The Defenders

Couldn't find the thread for this, so started this one. I thought it was really good. Just finished. It was a nice bounce back from Iron Fist IMO.

I still think the characters are underpowered. The guy who plays Iron Fist is the worst actor of the bunch, and it doesn't help that Iron Fist should be so much more bad ass than he is portrayed. I wonder if that is somewhat of a reflection of the actor's inability to fight. His fight scenes were usually the weakest as well. And, lastly, he seems so immature and whiny. No one who went through the training he went through, need to become the Iron Fist, would come off like he does.

Jessica Jones probably has the most entertaining personality and adds a lot to the show, but she really needs to be more than just extra strong. Luke Cage is stronger than her and (mostly) invulnerable. They need to separate her somehow. Give her those flying powers.

Daredevil is still the best written character (played by the best actor of the bunch as well).

Love Luke Cage. Misty Night was annoying (as was Foggy and that blonde lady who's name I forget). Iron Iron Fist's girlfriend is a great character and wouldn't have minded even more of her. Rosario Dawson is the glue. Not a huge role, but she really helps everything to come together.

Anyway, I was pretty entertained.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

It wasa entertaining. Agreed on the characters being underpowered. Iron Fist would have wiped out every Hand member in the blink of an eye...he's stupidly powerful in the comics. Him and Luke Cage would be a hot knife through butter.

I'm looking forward to the Punisher show. I was bored and watching the Punisher scenes on Youtube after watching Defenders. Man, Jonathan Bernthal's rendition of him is so, so good. It's almost like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine where the dude was born to play that role.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Best parts were the Iron Fist/Luke Cage and Daredevil/Jessica Jones interactions. Fight scenes were lacking, camera work was all over the place. Villains were underwhelming. Misty Knight was annoying. Overall, the show was entertaining for the most part simply because we have all these characters we've been following for years coming together but I'm a little disappointed.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

I was highly entertained like you guys and wished it were 13 episodes instead of 8.

The MCU versions are underpowered for 2 main reasons, production costs and to further separate them from the Avengers. They're supposed to be street level heroes in this.

I get guardians 2 on Blu ray on Wed, then I'll watch watch inhumans in IMAX next week to get my MCU fix
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Binge watched over the weekend. It was enjoyable except for Iron Fist who was annoying as hell. All that chest puffing and proclaiming "I AM the Iron Fist!" and then getting his butt kicked by everybody that wasn't an anonymous henchmen.

I was going to watch the Iron Fist series to fill in the blanks on what took place in Defenders but I don't know if I could take it. As far as WASP, billionaire vigilantes go, he's the lamest. I don't know if the showrunners are hesitant to cover up Finn Jones' face but I hope Iron Fist gets a mask soon so they can bring in a stunt double for the action sequences.

Jessica Jones' greatest super power appears to be sarcasm. She had all the best lines.

Were the showrunners deliberately trying to make the NYPD look like jackasses? Who leaves an evidence room containing pounds of explosives unlocked and unmonitored?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

yeah whenever they show Iron Fist next he needs to start to mature as a character. I get why he is so dumb and the other show characters clearly make fun of him, but it's time he matures. Maybe finally getting the mask can be a symbol of that
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I get why he is so dumb and the other show characters clearly make fun of him, but it's time he matures.

Can you save me the hours of watching Iron Fist and explain it to me?

That scene where he burst into the board room meeting with the Hand wearing his skinny suit and sneakers had me thinking he's the Justin Bieber of superheroes.

Sigourney Weaver was way more intimidating.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
I get why he is so dumb and the other show characters clearly make fun of him, but it's time he matures.

Can you save me the hours of watching Iron Fist and explain it to me?

That scene where he burst into the board room meeting with the Hand wearing his skinny suit and sneakers had me thinking he's the Justin Bieber of superheroes.

Sigourney Weaver was way more intimidating.

I sure can if you'd like. There are a few scenes in Iron Fist that are really worth watching though.

But yeah if you want shoot me a PM and I'll send you a spoilery synopsis
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I was highly entertained like you guys and wished it were 13 episodes instead of 8.

The MCU versions are underpowered for 2 main reasons, production costs and to further separate them from the Avengers. They're supposed to be street level heroes in this.

I get guardians 2 on Blu ray on Wed, then I'll watch watch inhumans in IMAX next week to get my MCU fix

Whoa the Inhumans looks like a Syfy show...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I gotta see it for the continuity JB!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I actually bought tickets to the IMAX showing of the first two episodes but probably going to cancel and just wait for them to air on TV. Early reviews are bad.

I remember Agents of Shield started off pretty badly but got better. Unlike Aos, Inhumans has solid backstory and set of characters to work with and the cast looks pretty solid. I'm sure they'll get it worked out eventually.
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

It was entertaining. My favorite parts were definitely the interactions between the crew.

But man, Iron Fist continues to prove to me that he's by far the worst in the team. I'm not familiar with the Iron Fist comics, but the way he's portrayed in the shows makes him out to be some immature justice fighter unwilling to listen to anyone but himself and only willing to do things his way all because he had training from KunLun and is the Immortal Iron Fist. I mean I knew all of this already having seen Iron Fist season one, but I thought he'd at least cool down a little on the righteousness when he's around people who've been through similar ordeals and also after a whole season to flesh out his character. But nah, same old Iron Fist. Character development for him in the franchise so far = zero.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I'll be right there with you.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I'll be right there with you.

bahahaha nerd!

numero-ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I actually bought tickets to the IMAX showing of the first two episodes but probably going to cancel and just wait for them to air on TV. Early reviews are bad.

I remember Agents of Shield started off pretty badly but got better. Unlike Aos, Inhumans has solid backstory and set of characters to work with and the cast looks pretty solid. I'm sure they'll get it worked out eventually.

Agreed. I'm hoping that's what happens with Inhumans too. Heck I endured Iron Fist and actually quite liked the last 6 episodes so I'll give this a shot!
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

I just realized that Iron Fist's girlfriend is a Sand Snake from GOT. The one with the whip

Be warned, its not a good scene.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
I just realized that Iron Fist's girlfriend is a Sand Snake from GOT. The one with the whip

Be warned, its not a good scene.

Didn't even catch that but I thought there was something familiar about the name and face. I didn't even know the actress was Asian.

I guess none of the Sand Snakes have to worry about filming schedule conflicts.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

if they do a season 2 I think it will be alot better and would like to see the Punisher in it too, like someone said would be nice to see these heroes use their abilities more, but each I think is so new with them they havent tested the limits of them yet
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

it was actually mediocre

fight scenes with lots of cuts and close shots in low light, never really lived up to the first season of dd1 and first half of dd2
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I never saw Iron Fist because I didn't think the guy who was selected to play him looked believable. I've only seen a few episodes so far and he comes across as an incredibly whiny and uncharismatic character. I binge-watched Jessica Jones and found that it was an interesting take on Purple Man, who used to be just a nothing character for a long time.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Not great but bingeable. The fight scenes were definitely bad, especially considering that martial arts was supposed to play such a big role. DD's scenes still looked pretty good but Iron Fist is supposed to be a BEAST and he looked clumsy and reliant on shaky-cam.

The acting was inconsistent. Charlie Cox has got to be two or three tiers above Finn Jones.

Jessica Jones seemed useless in terms of role, besides her wit. So she's super strong, but less strong than Luke Cage, and less durable? What kind of niche does she fill really? I guess we saw her superjump once in that elevator shaft.

Overall I enjoyed it but like you all suggested, it was a let down based on the bar set by DD season 1.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject:

also the ninjas and search for immortality plot is so corny.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
also the ninjas and search for immortality plot is so corny.
that was actually my fav part. For once it wasn't about some villain trying to take over New York City. They were trying to get back to KunLun & achieve immortality, New York was just collateral damage.

I wish they would have showed Fisk though. Somewhere lurking in prison
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

Finished watching it over the weekend. I hated the fight scenes in poor lighting and shaky camera. I had no idea what was going on. The saving grace was the last scene with Daredevil, which sure looks like a hint that the next season of Daredevil will be based on Born Again.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Saw it last night and I really enjoyed myself! I like the story, how it ties in to AOS, and some of the character arcs. The IMAX filming was beautiful! Not sure if it's worth $20 to see it ahead of time but I had a good time. Some of the acting was a little wooden but that's to be expected when a show is just starting out.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Saw it last night and I really enjoyed myself! I like the story, how it ties in to AOS, and some of the character arcs. The IMAX filming was beautiful! Not sure if it's worth $20 to see it ahead of time but I had a good time. Some of the acting was a little wooden but that's to be expected when a show is just starting out.

Maybe we should start a thread for it since it will be airing later this month. I'd certainly like to post about it after it airs. Glad to read at least one positive review. Everyone else has been killing it.

Like I wrote earlier, I thought AoS was really bad when it started. I stopped watching after the first four episodes and still haven't gone back and finished Season 1. I didn't like Season 1 of Seinfeld either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: