Kyrie Irving wants to be traded.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kobe faced all the same criticism when he wanted to part ways with Shaq including a litany of doubters who thought he wouldn't be able to win titles by himself. And for years many were right, the Kobe led lakers were pretty horrible for a while.

Not saying it's the same situation but in an era of super teams it's refreshing to still see someone who wants to continue to grow and build his own legacy.

I agree.

they were only bad for 1st yr post shaq year, decent the next year and power house year 3

Year 4, actually.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

[quote="1hu2ren3dui4"Not saying it's the same situation but in an era of super teams it's refreshing to stil]l see someone who wants to continue to grow and build his own legacy.[/quote]

I think that's pretty common.

If you have team success as a second banana early on, you long to stand out as the #1 guy.

If you win acclaim for your individual play early on but don't win, you long to be in an environment where you can win a ring.

The most refreshing thing I've seen is Curry.

The guy won two MVPs and a ring, and he could have been a hardass and stayed the #1 guy on a great team. But he cultivated Durant and took a back seat to me he wanted to create a force that would simply dominant the league.

That is highly unusual. Superstars always want talent around them. But they usually won't recruit another superstar and then defer to them.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Not saying it's the same situation but in an era of super teams it's refreshing to stil]l see someone who wants to continue to grow and build his own legacy.

If you have team success as a second banana early on, you long to stand out as the #1 guy.

If you win acclaim for your individual play early on but don't win, you long to be in an environment where you can win a ring.

The guy won two MVPs and a ring, and he could have been a hardass and stayed the #1 guy on a great team. But he cultivated Durant and took a back seat to me he wanted to create a force that would simply dominant the league.

That is highly unusual. Superstars always want talent around them. But they usually won't recruit another superstar and then defer to them.

The grass is greener on the other side, you nailed it on the head

Kudos to Curry for checking his ego at the door. Imagine had Shaq and Kobe did that, 2006 - 2011 when Shaq retire, 4 finals? couple chips?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Not saying it's the same situation but in an era of super teams it's refreshing to stil]l see someone who wants to continue to grow and build his own legacy.

Kudos to Curry for checking his ego at the door. Imagine had Shaq and Kobe did that, 2006 - 2011 when Shaq retire, 4 finals? couple chips?

I always thought that team was done. Shaq had one more high level year in Miami, but fell off after that. They looked done in the Pistons series.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I always thought that team was done. Shaq had one more high level year in Miami, but fell off after that. They looked done in the Pistons series.

I didn't think so at the time, but in highsight, you're right.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I didn't think so at the time, but in highsight, you're right.

One more year of high level impact, but six more years of $20 million salaries.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Per Yahoo Sports

Cavs/Celtics in talks for Kyrie.

Ugh I like Kyrie if he becomes a Celtic he's over
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Per Yahoo Sports

Cavs/Celtics in talks for Kyrie.

Ugh I like Kyrie if he becomes a Celtic he's over

I guess that sends Isaiah Thomas to the Cavs.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

@WindhorstESPN wrote:
Cavs and Celtics on verge of a deal: Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and 2018 Nets pick unprotected, sources say
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Hearing that the Nets pick is involved that is pretty great trade for the Cavs considering they are the ones with the player demanding the trade.

Isaih and Crowder for win now. And they get the Nets pick and Ante Zizic for the future. That Nets pick could be the #1 overall again. If I am the Cavs I do that before Danny Ainge gets cold feet.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Honestly this makes me think LeBrat will go to the Lakers and then the Lakers/Celtics rivalry is renewed.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Looks like the deal is done and the Nets pick is involved. Great trade for the Cavs. Celtics get the best player in the deal.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Wow. I guess lebron is out of there next year for sure. IT can't defend anyone on the Warriors backcourt.

Hate thinking the Celtics got Kyrie. Ainge is a smart gm. He knows what he has now.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

LOL the new NBA 2k18 game comes out in under a month with Kyrie in a Cavs jersey.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Honestly this makes me think LeBrat will go to the Lakers and then the Lakers/Celtics rivalry is renewed.

Would make for killer ratings and the NBA would be happy about that.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

But I don't like LeBron so I will ignore the Finals like I have for the most part the past few years.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

That is a nice thought but sadly the Warriors still exist as a big roadblock from that happening.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/22/kyrie-irving-dan-gilbert-trade-luxury-tax-19-million/

Quote:

Cavs Trading Kyrie Irving Would Save Dan Gilbert $19 million in Luxury Tax

The Cavs are close to sending Kyrie Irving to the Celtics for multiple players and perhaps two draft picks, but one key to remember in all of this: Dan Gilbert, the Cleveland owner, is going to save a lot of money.

Gilbert, who is a billionaire, has been in the luxury tax since LeBron returned. It’s netted him three Finals trips and one title, so it was worth it. But with little hope to beat the Warriors next year, and the team locked into several bad contracts – deals that helped get them the title – Gilbert clearly sees the end is near, and LeBron is on his way out … why do I have to write a huge 8-figure check for the luxury tax?

VIDEO
Cleveland Browns players take a knee during national anthem - Colin and Jason react

Follow
Bobby Marks ✔ @BobbyMarks42
IT/Crowder/Zizic combination would save the Cavaliers $19M in taxes. Tax bill goes from $78.4M to $59.2M.
6:47 PM - Aug 22, 2017
12 12 Replies 184 184 Retweets 180 180 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
I know: What is $19 million to a billionaire? Not much.

Let me also find the positive for Cleveland fans: The Cavs get a great defender for Kevin Durant (Jae Crowder). They get a scorer in Isaiah Thomas, who is basically a carbon copy of Kyrie Irving, except he doesn’t have the ego of a #1 pick who is ready to be the man.

I’m not sure the Cavs are beating the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals, but they probably match up better with the Warriors than they did last year.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/22/kyrie-irving-dan-gilbert-trade-luxury-tax-19-million/

Quote:

Cavs Trading Kyrie Irving Would Save Dan Gilbert $19 million in Luxury Tax

The Cavs are close to sending Kyrie Irving to the Celtics for multiple players and perhaps two draft picks, but one key to remember in all of this: Dan Gilbert, the Cleveland owner, is going to save a lot of money.

Gilbert, who is a billionaire, has been in the luxury tax since LeBron returned. It’s netted him three Finals trips and one title, so it was worth it. But with little hope to beat the Warriors next year, and the team locked into several bad contracts – deals that helped get them the title – Gilbert clearly sees the end is near, and LeBron is on his way out … why do I have to write a huge 8-figure check for the luxury tax?

VIDEO
Cleveland Browns players take a knee during national anthem - Colin and Jason react

Follow
Bobby Marks ✔ @BobbyMarks42
IT/Crowder/Zizic combination would save the Cavaliers $19M in taxes. Tax bill goes from $78.4M to $59.2M.
6:47 PM - Aug 22, 2017
12 12 Replies 184 184 Retweets 180 180 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
I know: What is $19 million to a billionaire? Not much.

Let me also find the positive for Cleveland fans: The Cavs get a great defender for Kevin Durant (Jae Crowder). They get a scorer in Isaiah Thomas, who is basically a carbon copy of Kyrie Irving, except he doesn’t have the ego of a #1 pick who is ready to be the man.

I’m not sure the Cavs are beating the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals, but they probably match up better with the Warriors than they did last year.

These guys didn't become billionaires by not pinching their pennies.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Totally tongue in cheek. I felt like playing some Mad Libs with a Dan Gilbert letter considering who is involved and the mention of big luxury tax savings.

Quote:
Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Cavs to acquire Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote.

This deal would save the Cavs approximately $29 million in luxury taxes. That $29 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $29 million in the process. And they also obtained the Brooklyn 2018 first round pick, which potentially gives them their fourth 1st overall pick in the last eight years. When the Cavs got the 2014 first overall pick (at the time with only a 1.7% chance of doing so) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax trading for Kevin Love and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Andrew Wiggins who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….
Crybaby Owner
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Well now 100% confirmed LeBron James is going to Cleveland once again. Can you imagine?
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I always felt Curry's willingness to have less glory if it would help his teammates and team be better was underrated. What is the point of having a LeBron on your team if it can't sustain. LeBron is out for Bron. Best move Kyrirvever made
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I always felt Curry's willingness to have less glory if it would help his teammates and team be better was underrated. What is the point of having a LeBron on your team if it can't sustain. LeBron is out for Bron. Best move Kyrirvever made
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I find myself feeling for Isaiah in all of this.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I find myself feeling for Isaiah in all of this.

Balls out for the Celtics and gets dumped for Kyrie Irving....
Must have been a blow for the ego.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: