BREAKING OT: Kyrie traded to Celtics for Isaiah, Crowder, Zizic, and Nets' unprotected 2018 pick.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
I don't know what some of you are smoking, clear win for the Cavs here (ESPECIALLY given how their hand was forced and how other teams got much poorer returns in similar situations this summer), though obviously the Celtics also got what they needed - finally cashed in some assets for a legit All-Star / borderline superstar in his prime. But the main thing is that Cleveland now has a safety net of sorts if Lebron leaves and flexibility. And as far as getting equal value back for a star, they did as well as any team has in recent years, and may actually be at the top of the list.

The option is there to pay IT if he balls out and they want to retain him beyond the year to keep fans in the seats (with Love and 2018 Nets' 1st rounder flanking him), but they can just as easily blow it up and let him walk, trade Love for more assets, and build around youth (with a likely tank year in 2019). They're set up pretty decently for the short and long term now, which is way more than you could say 12 hours ago.

The inclusion of that Brooklyn 2018 has me thinking the Cavs made out like absolute bandits.

I'm jealous really, they got a guaranteed top 5 pick and then added capspace if they don't want Thomas and Lebron leaves. Absolute best scenario for them. (bleep) Gilbert
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Cavs also have some different options. If they know Lebron is leaving they can flip Isiah Thomas for more rebuilding pieces before the trade deadline. Possibly Kevin Love as well.

Or they can use the Nets pick if a star becomes available in a trade to entice Lebron to stay. Shumpert/Frye and Nets pick could be a package without giving up any of their key players.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Further evidence that the Pacers made a horrible trade with OKC.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Danny Ainge is Doc Rivers without a son to overpay.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Boston fans are PISSED
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Boston fans are PISSED

My friends who are diehard Celts fans are angry. Which makes me happy.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Boston fans are PISSED

There's hardly ever a time when they're not.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

When Kyrie leaves the Celtics, it will be great. Imaging if the Nets pick ends up being Bagley or Porter.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
When Kyrie leaves the Celtics, it will be great. Imaging if the Nets pick ends up being Bagley or Porter.

I hope that happens and also that they don't get our pick next year.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
I don't know what some of you are smoking, clear win for the Cavs here (ESPECIALLY given how their hand was forced and how other teams got much poorer returns in similar situations this summer), though obviously the Celtics also got what they needed - finally cashed in some assets for a legit All-Star / borderline superstar in his prime. But the main thing is that Cleveland now has a safety net of sorts if Lebron leaves and flexibility. And as far as getting equal value back for a star, they did as well as any team has in recent years, and may actually be at the top of the list.

The option is there to pay IT if he balls out and they want to retain him beyond the year to keep fans in the seats (with Love and 2018 Nets' 1st rounder flanking him), but they can just as easily blow it up and let him walk, trade Love for more assets, and build around youth (with a likely tank year in 2019). They're set up pretty decently for the short and long term now, which is way more than you could say 12 hours ago.

strawberry fields, sativa.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

The inclusion of that Brooklyn 2018 has me thinking the Cavs made out like absolute bandits.

Exactly. That basically is the trade right there for the Cavs, especially if they end up with a Doncic, Porter Jr., or Bagley in the draft next year.

Kyrie's great, and it's weird to say considering his playoffs and Finals pedigree, but he's a tad bit overrated given that without Lebron, he wouldn't even sniff the postseason as a pure #1 option on those Cavs' teams. Of course he can help a team win a title, but right now I don't think he's even close to a guy who can lead you there, which unfortunately is what he seems to consider himself as. Too few dimensions to his game outside of scoring, and IT fills in about 80% of what he does well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

As a Lakers fan I'd prefer that pick to be trash. (bleep) the Cavs. (bleep) the Celtics.

Best case sceneario, Lebron leaves, Kyrie leaves, IT leaves and the pick turns out to be trash.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm in the minority here. I think CLE made out like bandits. Can't believe BOS added that Brooklyn pick.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

I think the Celtics gave up too much. Kyrie is a stud, but that is a lot to give up.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
I'm in the minority here. I think CLE made out like bandits. Can't believe BOS added that Brooklyn pick.

I think most people are seeing it the same way as you.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Not in the minority at all thinking the Cavs got the better of the trade. Cleveland made a hell of a trade. They just got much better.

-2 impact players in Thomas and Crowder.
- odds on favorite for the #1 pick next year
- an intriguing center prospect in Zizic

Signed a couple nice free agents in Green, Rose and Calderon.
Cavs are the favorite in the East IMO.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

They made the best out of a bad situation. If Lebron leaves they still got assets from getting rid of Kyrie. If Lebron stays, everyone is happy for now...
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

How does Danny not get in on Butler when he could've just given up the Brooklyn pick alone, and now gives up both the pick and his only All-Star from last year for a comparable player, value-wise (I'd actually argue Butler is more valuable than Kyrie, who has yet to prove anything without Lebron holding his hand, when factoring in both ends of the floor)?

I get that people are down on IT all of a sudden after his injury, he's short, he doesn't play defense, yada yada, but the dude just averaged 29 PPG on great efficiency and flat-out carried that Boston offense all year without another serious scoring threat to support him. Isn't that still worth something?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Gosh, it does feel good that those leprachaun (bleep) won't be getting our pick now. Sucks that Gilbert may get it instead, but his team is gonna be irrelevant soon anyway, so it's definitely the lesser of the three evils (don't want the pick going to Philly either).
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a great deal for both sides. Particularly Boston. They are clearly going all in now. Cleveland gets to reset if LeBron leaves (they still have another trade asset in IT) or they can flip Brooklyn's pick for another superstar should LeBron decide to stay. This is one of those rare trades where it's an even split.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised 32 did not get in on the Irving trade .. anyone know why he stopped posting?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:
Great trade for the Celts, except for one thing. We know who KI is now. Sooner or later, he will hold his new team hostage.

Based on what? LBJ holds his teams hostage non-stop. But, that's apparently acceptable? KI privately requested a trade because he's had enough of Bron's antics and has no desire to be stuck with the aftermath that will remain when LBJ leaves Cleveland next summer. Not to mention, it was LeBron's camp that put KIs trade request out to the media. Not Irving.

So, how does that equate to KI holding CLE hostage? Please share your logic. I'm not seeing it.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

As a Lakers fan I'd prefer that pick to be trash. (bleep) the Cavs. (bleep) the Celtics.

Best case sceneario, Lebron leaves, Kyrie leaves, IT leaves and the pick turns out to be trash.

If Brooklyn is good enough for the pick to suck that means DLO becomes the second coming of Harden making us looking bad
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Derrick Rose just became a super sub. Even trade I'm...Go W's still come Finals over these whiney ass East teams.
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

i hate both those teams. I wish nothing but despair for both of them forever and ever.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: