BREAKING OT: Kyrie traded to Celtics for Isaiah, Crowder, Zizic, and Nets' unprotected 2018 pick.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
The #1 pick got traded for the #60 pick from the same draft.

Look at all those players that got selected ahead of Thomas and are no longer in the NBA. It just goes to show you that nothing is guaranteed in the NBA and players must make the most of their opportunities.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I think Cleveland is gonna start shopping Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love and see what one of them + that Brooklyn Nets Pick could nab them.

Hard to see a trade that makes sense.

I could see OKC being willing to trade Westbrook or PG13 for the Brooklyn pick, but I doubt the Cavs would do that without either under contract longer term.

I just don't see any other teams that has a star who would help Lebron win now, is worth the #1 pick and is willing to trade that star.

Maybe if that Net's pick is looking like a 6-8 pick, the Cavs trade it for someone that can help them get the 2018 championship - Cousins or Melo.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Now Cavs fans just gotta hope the Nets will be awful next year. Although I can't see them getting worse than last year now they got Russell and a healthy Lin back.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

What a shame Kyrie goes to Boston.

I really liked pulling for him individually.

Fun player to watch. He's gotta lot a Mamba in his blood!

I guess he and Taytum can both join forces in keeping their fondness for Kobe (and his game) hush hush.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Now Cavs fans just gotta hope the Nets will be awful next year. Although I can't see them getting worse than last year now they got Russell and a healthy Lin back.

Then let's hope that Russell plays like an all-star and the Nets win 47 games
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject:

I don't know. I think Boston screwed it up.

I'm a Kyrie guy, don't get me wrong. Big Uncle Drew fan here.

But for the Cavs' scheme, Kyrie = IT in almost everything. They're gonna get from Thomas essencially the same things they got from Kyrie, but they also added a valuable perimeter defender, on Crowder, and two very valuable assets on the talented Ante Zizic and Brooklyn's pick. They could very well swap these 2 for another All-Star, or use it to build their future if LeBron leaves.

Crowder not only can help defending Durant, but he was also the Celtic's man to guard LeBron. Who's gonna do that now?

The Celtics, on the other hand, are getting back a player who will have basically the same production as IT, only 4 years younger. They have to really believe Kyrie can grow a lot beyond what he is now, and I just don't believe it can happen.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Rek wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
Wow, Boston got robbed. They practically gave up a Top 5 pick, Jae Crowder and Zizic for 6 inches of height.

IT has better numbers (absolute and advanced) than Kyrie last year. Plus he has proven he has the capability to lead a team to the ECF. Cavs are 4-18 without LBJ since he came back. Kyrie was a 12th seed at best when he was the lead dog pre-LBJ but he was only 22.

https://labs.statmuse.com/stories/0c1a44f4-0e8e-4596-bfc7-47bdcba24773

2016-2017 stats don't account for what happens when IT plays alongside LeBron since Thomas was the #1 option all year in Boston - or the obvious fact that Kyrie's stats were achieved playing #2 to LeBron. But hey, let's not let things like logic get in the way.

If Boston has trouble with the new roster, it won't be because of KI replacing IT. It will be due to losing Crowder's D.

Defenses were focused on guarding IT last year. This year he will have Lebron relieve pressure. Fact is we haven't seen Kyrie lead his team without Lebron other than a 4-18 record and a 12th seed pre-Lebron. IT still has the higher TS% too. Not sure how you can discredit IT and the season he had.

If the Celtics don't do as well, It could very well be because of kI replacing IT. That's a big change to a team, to lose your leader, leading scorer and playmaker.

It's funny because the Reddit Celtics and Realgm board are in full on panic mode along with the general boards but many Lakers fans seem to like it for Boston. I definitely don't like this trade for the Celtics.

I never discredited him at all. I put things in proper perspective. If you can't see the difference between their roles last year, that's not my issue to contend with. IT's numbers simply won't be the same playing with LeBron. That is all.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject:

I don't know what you guys are smoking here.

As a Celtics fan, I'll tell you many Celtics fans were waiting for Danny Ainge to cash in on his picks and that he would get the best player available. Tatum, Brown, Marcus Smart were all decent to good picks but they would not give them a chance now to become a Finals contender.

Remember Kyrie is a player just entering his prime and one of the most clutch players in the entire league and a top player. Kyrie had horrible teams when it was just him without Lebron.

The Celtics have revamped their roster but mostly for the better. They lost Olynk (soft), Zeller (barely any minutes), Johnson (looking ready to retire), Jerebko (good role player), Young (bust) IT and Bradley.

IT and Bradley are a tough losses but I'm not too upset about losing anyone else. We were not going to be able to sign both IT or Bradley to max contracts next year even though they deserve them. Kyrie is a few years younger than IT and a better player.

So really at the old roster vs the new roster, you see that the Celtics actually upgraded at almost every position except shooting guard but Brad Stevens has said he will not be tied down by traditional positions.

My conclusion is the Celtics got much better
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Can't believe that they have that pick. Does anybody doubt the Ccavs make the first pick in next years draft?

If LBJ leaves for the Lakers, quite possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

As a Celtics fan, I'll tell you many Celtics fans were waiting for Danny Ainge to cash in on his picks and that he would get the best player available. Tatum, Brown, Marcus Smart were all decent to good picks but they would not give them a chance now to become a Finals contender.

Remember Kyrie is a player just entering his prime and one of the most clutch players in the entire league and a top player. Kyrie had horrible teams when it was just him without Lebron.

The Celtics have revamped their roster but mostly for the better. They lost Olynk (soft), Zeller (barely any minutes), Johnson (looking ready to retire), Jerebko (good role player), Young (bust) IT and Bradley.

IT and Bradley are a tough losses but I'm not too upset about losing anyone else. We were not going to be able to sign both IT or Bradley to max contracts next year even though they deserve them. Kyrie is a few years younger than IT and a better player.

So really at the old roster vs the new roster, you see that the Celtics actually upgraded at almost every position except shooting guard but Brad Stevens has said he will not be tied down by traditional positions.

It's not just Kyrie vs. IT.

It's Kyrie vs. IT, Crowder, possible top 5 pick.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:

It's a good trade for both team I guess. Kyrie > IT in my opinion and with no free agency looming. All the other pieces makes the trade fair.
Makes me think what was the bulls GM smoking trading Butler for peanuts (high quality peanuts but still peanuts)
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Seems dumb when Ainge could've had either PG or Butler for the pick alone, while keeping IT.

I don't think Kyrie will produce anything better than IT did last season. On top of that, Celtics defense got a whole lot worse with the Crowder and Bradley trades. I wouldn't be surprise if this team underachieves.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Seems dumb when Ainge could've had either PG or Butler for the pick alone, while keeping IT.

I don't think Kyrie will produce anything better than IT did last season. On top of that, Celtics defense got a whole lot worse with the Crowder and Bradley trades. I wouldn't be surprise if this team underachieves.

Share the opinion that the Boston decline in defense is not being discussed enough.

I can see why Boston fan is excited. Finally using some of the hoarded assets to land Irving is pretty big. Solid team. Going to be interesting to see how the team chemistry develops. Hayward and Irving may be better leaders then we are giving them credit for. We shall see.

BirdMagicLegend- Curious about the opinion on Zizic from your perspective. No one is discussing this throw-in prospect. IMO they should be.

Around here we tend to give Zubac a fairly positive expectation as a role player and bench contributor. Zizic is arguably a better player overall. Any thoughts on sending him in the trade?
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

Cavs got the best deal they got a good Pg. That went beast mode in the 4th qtr. If he doesn't fit they can let him walk and sign Cp3. They also got a great fwd, a young center and a top 3 first rounder wich could mean a new superstar.

Hands down Cavs got a killer deal
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
If I'm a Celtics fan I like this trade long term. I've got a 25-year-old Kyrie and a 27-year-old Gordon Hayward. I've got Jaylin Brown and Jason Tatum who have IMO all star potential. If brown and Tatum develop I am a journeyman center away from being the next Golden State Warriors.

lmao nope.

They still wouldn't have a top 15 player, let alone two top 5 like the Warriors.

Hayward would be the 5th best player on GSW.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

They still wouldn't have a top 15 player, let alone two top 5 like the Warriors.

Hayward would be the 5th best player on GSW.

Oh Heaven, NO. Don't even say it. Myers might catch wind of it and try to fleece Boston and get him in a couple of years, too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Then let's hope that Russell plays like an all-star and the Nets win 47 games

Why do we care?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Can't believe that they have that pick. Does anybody doubt the Ccavs make the first pick in next years draft?

If LBJ leaves for the Lakers, quite possible.

Why would Lebron leaving have anything to do with how Brooklyn plays?
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

While this may be a relatively lateral move at PG, this helps Boston out a lot contractually, because they were probably going to have to pay the max to retain an aging Isaiah Thomas. Now, they can comfortably give the max to Kyrie when the time comes, and I think it was worth giving up the pick for that. Plus, Jae Crowder was already being phased out of the starting lineup and Ante Zizic looks worse than Zubac did in Summer League, so they weren't big losses. Honestly, what will hurt the Celtics more is losing Avery Bradley, because his defense, rebounding, and shooting, will be missed on an already poor rebounding team. Jayson Tatum has his work cut out for him.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

IT is a free agent next year and may choose to go to the team that pays him the most and they might lose Lebron as well. The Celtics seem to feel Kyrie will be in Boston past his current contract.

Crowder is a great role player I loved him but he is also replaceable with a higher ceiling Jaylen Brown. There will be some growing pains for sure but it is Brown's time to show what he can do.

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

Share the opinion that the Boston decline in defense is not being discussed enough.

I can see why Boston fan is excited. Finally using some of the hoarded assets to land Irving is pretty big. Solid team. Going to be interesting to see how the team chemistry develops. Hayward and Irving may be better leaders then we are giving them credit for. We shall see.

BirdMagicLegend- Curious about the opinion on Zizic from your perspective. No one is discussing this throw-in prospect. IMO they should be.

Around here we tend to give Zubac a fairly positive expectation as a role player and bench contributor. Zizic is arguably a better player overall. Any thoughts on sending him in the trade?

No doubt Bradley contributed much to the individual defense on guards and Crowder is decent on defense but don’t forgot that team defense is on Brad Stevens and his game planning/schemes. He’s a good coach. Defensively Celtics got worse but as we all have seen, in the playoffs, you need superstars to win. Even last year, there were several games where the Celtics defense was atrocious so sometimes we tend to overrate their defense. It is good but if you can't score like they did with 10 minute spans of zero points, you won't be beating the Cavs.

As for PG or Butler, Ainge tried to get them but they asked for way too much in the case of Butler and the Pacers did not want to trade them to a team that could come back and hurt them in the future. For Butler, they wanted a package that included several players and a pick like the Cavs got but Kyrie is a much better player than Butler. Butler was not worth giving up that much and Kyrie is.

As for Zizic, I would say he could become a good player probably not a superstar but a solid big. He was one of the European players that was stashed in Europe for a year but fans think Yabusele should be better and Yabusele was a the higher pick. Time will tell here but Zizic didn’t blow fans away like Tatum did.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

Bucks offered Brogdon, Middleton and pick for kyrie.

https://twitter.com/fearthesword/status/900414871224844288
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

The Cavs should be trying to move the #1 pick to get another player (Melo?) so they can keep LeBron. It's the only shot they have, he'll leave otherwise.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why this topic has to be moved to the "correct" forum, i.e. the dungeon. It seems to me as an unnecessary exercise of power given the generally low level of posting activity this time of year. If you want to comment on something from 2012, those other forums are great. If you're interested in something a little more recent, the Lounge is the only place to be.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
I don't know why this topic has to be moved to the "correct" forum, i.e. the dungeon. It seems to me as an unnecessary exercise of power given the generally low level of posting activity this time of year. If you want to comment on something from 2012, those other forums are great. If you're interested in something a little more recent, the Lounge is the only place to be.

It should actually have been moved to General Basketball Discussion. Nobody reads this subforum.

Last edited by CandyCanes on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

[quote="CandyCanes"]
kevin61 wrote:
I don't know why this topic has to be moved to the "correct" forum, i.e. the dungeon. It seems to me as an unnecessary exercise of power given the generally low level of posting activity this time of year. If you want to comment on something from 2012, those other forums are great. If you're interested in something a little more recent, the Lounge is the only place to be.[/quote

It should actually have been moved to General Basketball Discussion. Nobody reads this subforum.

No one reads any sub forum but the Lounge. The owner of this site needs to think about how he can make other sub forums more active. There's really no point in having more than one forum if the others don't get any eyeballs. Ive never seen the point of any of the others, except if you're interested in a trade idea about Pau and Lamar in 2009.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: