Boston takes an unusual turn
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Boston takes an unusual turn

Not an ESPN fan particularly but for once, the angle they raised this morning is an interesting one:

"Boston now has just four players on its roster from last season's team that won an East-best 53 games."

Wheeee.

Not many Eastern conference finalists went on to gut their roster over the Summer. I think they've made some good moves. Grrrr. They've essentially upgraded their lead scoring guard slot when they swapped Isiah Thomas and some spare parts for an all-NBA guard with a championship under his belt. They have a better second scoring option in Hayward than they had last year, by a long ways. Defensively, I dunno. Jaylen Brown returns but Jae Crowder is gone. Avery Bradley is gone.

It'll be interesting to watch. I want them to fail, badly. Almost nothing gets better for a Laker fan than when Danny Ainge is whimpering.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

I'm sure they wanted to upgrade their team but looks like after all those moves they ended up unintentionally gutting the team that won them the #1 seed. May work out or not. Will be interesting with Kyrie now being the man.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I'm sure they wanted to upgrade their team but looks like after all those moves they ended up unintentionally gutting the team that won them the #1 seed. May work out or not. Will be interesting with Kyrie now being the man.

That team lost to Cleveland in 5. A team that got destroyed by GS. They needed to make moves, and not small ones they were nowhere close to being contenders despite the seed.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

PG Kyrie Irving/Terry Rozier/Shane Larkin

SG Jaylen Brown/Marcus Smart

SF Gordon Hayward/Jayson Tatum/Abdel Nader

PF Al Horford/Marcus Morris/Semi Ojeleye/Guerschon Yabusele

C Aron Baynes/Daniel Theis

I can't help but think this team is worse then last years team and they blew most of the trade leverage they acquired. I like the signing of Semi Ojeleye as a rookie and Tatum is pretty good too. My instincts are this is a bust for the Celtics. They rip the heart of the team out and replace it with Kyrie and Hayward. The big 3 is Irving/Hayward/Horford thats a pretty mediocre attempt at an expensive reboot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

The Celtics are doing what we should be doing, building for a contending team 3-4 seasons down the road. Hayward will still be in his prime, Kyrie in his prime, and the young players will have solid seasons under their belts. When the Warriors reach the end of their primes, Boston will be in good shape to contend.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

That team lost to Cleveland in 5. A team that got destroyed by GS. They needed to make moves, and not small ones they were nowhere close to being contenders despite the seed.

They were lucky they weren't bounced by Rondo early on in the playoffs.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

I can't help but think this team is worse then last years team and they blew most of the trade leverage they acquired. I like the signing of Semi Ojeleye as a rookie and Tatum is pretty good too. My instincts are this is a bust for the Celtics. They rip the heart of the team out and replace it with Kyrie and Hayward. The big 3 is Irving/Hayward/Horford thats a pretty mediocre attempt at an expensive reboot.

When I see their roster itemized like that, the one picture that jumps out at me is they essentially replaced defense (Bradley, Crowder, etc.,) for offense (Hayward, and of course Kyrie, offensively Tatum looks good too)

Smart brings a defensive element to their game, but replacing defense with offense is shaky.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

I think going from Thomas to Kyrie is a major upgrade in both the short and long term. Kyrie is a top 10 player-- Thomas wasn't anywhere close.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

Kyrie is not a top 10 player.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
Kyrie is not a top 10 player.

LBJ
KD
Steph Curry
AD
Greak Freak
Harden
Westbrook
Kawhi

PG13? Demar? Blake? Boogie? Wall? CP3?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

If you think that Boston haven't improved their roster this offseason, I've got a bridge to sell you in Montana.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

It's the Leastern Conference. You can still gamble, fail, and still at least make the playoffs.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

That bench is atrocious
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

That bench is atrocious

Well I'd hardly call it atrocious. Say Jaylen Brown starts at the 2 with Baynes at center alongside Horford, Heyward and Irving. That'd leave Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum and Marcus Morris as the first guys off the bench. Whats wrong with that? I'd be especially interested in seeing how far Tatum has come along come March or April. Terry Rozier is a 1st round pick who couldn't get steady minutes behind Thomas, Bradley and Smart but he's shown some ability and he'll get an opportunity now. The wild-card is last season's 16th overall pick Guerschon Yabusele, who played last year in his native France. He's 21, goes 6'8" and 260 and Brad Stevens loves him. Between two established players (Smart & Morris) and young guys with lots of upside I think their bench is in good shape.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

Smart is the worst shooter in NBA history(literally), Morris is mediocre at best and the rest are young guys that haven't proven a thing. I'm not too high on that bench either.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

53 wins in the east is like 45 in the west, if that. The Celtics knew it. They knew they had to upgrade.

Even if they had the best record in the east.

Boston's going to tough in a few years, and let's be honest about that. We'd be lucky to make it to the playoffs this year.
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
Smart is the worst shooter in NBA history(literally), Morris is mediocre at best and the rest are young guys that haven't proven a thing. I'm not too high on that bench either.

Smart is definitely a lousy shooter but he's 23 and shooting is something you can improve. As it is, Stevens still plays him 28-30 mins a night cuz the guy makes winning plays, especially on the defensive end. He's inconsistent but when he's on he makes an impact on the game. You don't find many 6'4" 230 lb. point guards and Smart can legit guard 3 positions. And it's not like he can't shoot at all; 27 pts. and 7-11 from three in Game 3 of the ECF last season. That's an outlier for sure but he's young and still improving.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Celtics are doing what we should be doing, building for a contending team 3-4 seasons down the road. Hayward will still be in his prime, Kyrie in his prime, and the young players will have solid seasons under their belts. When the Warriors reach the end of their primes, Boston will be in good shape to contend.

Mitch/Jim passed on Iasiah Thomas and dealt our high first round pick.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

That bench is atrocious

Well I'd hardly call it atrocious. Say Jaylen Brown starts at the 2 with Baynes at center alongside Horford, Heyward and Irving. That'd leave Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum and Marcus Morris as the first guys off the bench. Whats wrong with that? I'd be especially interested in seeing how far Tatum has come along come March or April. Terry Rozier is a 1st round pick who couldn't get steady minutes behind Thomas, Bradley and Smart but he's shown some ability and he'll get an opportunity now. The wild-card is last season's 16th overall pick Guerschon Yabusele, who played last year in his native France. He's 21, goes 6'8" and 260 and Brad Stevens loves him. Between two established players (Smart & Morris) and young guys with lots of upside I think their bench is in good shape.

I wonder if Boston regrets not drafting Fultz for bench depth. Then again, they could end up with another top five pick next season if we don't do well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:

I don't think you know what the word literally means.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KungPau wrote:

I don't think you know what the word literally means.

He's a career 35.8% shooter, a career 29% shooter from three and had the worst 3 pt shooting season in NBA history for someone who shot it more than 200 times(25%). Find me a worse shooter who shoots the ball that frequently.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

The news out of Boston is that they traded Thomas due to his hip injury, if that news, along with the physical prevents him from being accepted by the Cav's then the Cav's can void the trade...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
The news out of Boston is that they traded Thomas due to his hip injury, if that news, along with the physical prevents him from being accepted by the Cav's then the Cav's can void the trade...

Well...this is going to be awkward...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Well...this is going to be awkward...

How unloyal to the Celts IT is if he causes this trade to be nixed.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

PG Kyrie Irving

SG Gordon Hayward

SF Jaylen Brown

PF Jayson Tatum

C Al Horford

With sixth man Marcus Smart, it's a pretty nice looking start to a rotation. They'll beat most teams handily, if all six stay reasonably healthy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: