Reasons why we might exceed expectations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

- We will have multiple players trying to showcase there talent
- We have 2 players in Ingram and Randle who are guaranteed to be in the MIP conversation
- Lonzo Ball looks like a Immediate Impact player

There is also reasons why we might have a losing season... but I think we are gonna be a real solid team who will compete for 48 minutes
JuliusRandall
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

That would be a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

the end of the season while other teams will be tanking and others resting players we will be going full out and pick up some unexpected wins
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I think we'll exceed expectations this season, here are my reasons:

- Defense will improve because I think second year Ingram, KCP and Lopez are more impactful defenders then anyone we had on the roster last year. With Nance, we can have multiple lineups where we aren't straight up just giving up on defense which was the case last season.

- The players on this team are much more complimentary then last year. Lou/Young were our most impactful players in terms of getting wins last year but they weren't exactly playing team basketball (especially Lou Williams). This year I think taking away those two and Lonzo Ball, we're going to have much more ball movement.

-Luke Walton was a rookie head coach and there were some questionable choices by him but this year I see a roster that fits Luke's style of play more so then last year.

- Natural improvement by our young players. I expect Ingram, Randle, Nance to all get getter but outside of that KCP is only 24 and for the first time he's going to be in a fast paced offense. I think KCP might have a real break out year, and he's essentially playing for a contract too.

-We don't have our pick and no incentive to tank what so ever.

Last edited by Villain6Activated on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
the end of the season while other teams will be tanking and others resting players we will be going full out and pick up some unexpected wins

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

I don't remember, what are the expectations?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Only one reason Boston still has our pick.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I don't remember, what are the expectations?

Shouldn't you know? You're basically on here 24/7

Everyone has a cellphone today it's pretty easy to go on this site.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

Inspector Gadget wrote:
- We have 2 players in Ingram and Randle who are guaranteed to be in the MIP conversation

There is also reasons why we might have a losing season... but I think we are gonna be a real solid team who will compete for 48 minutes

Ding.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Plus Kuzma!!!!!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Another reason why we might exceed them is because we've tempered them =)
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

Inspector Gadget wrote:

There are no guarantees Ingram and Randle will be in the MIP conversation, but I like our chances with both players.

Ball is a legit PG that should be able to make better use of our weapons than JC, Lou and other players clearly looking to score or just not knowing how to run an offense.

Lopez is our best center since Pau Gasol.

I find KCP a bit overrated here, his highlights are more impressive than his stats, but it is a one year stop gap and I believe he may be a better fit to Lonzo than the players we had last season.

I hope Kuzma can prove himself a legit NBA player, he had an eye catching summer league, if he can play anywhere near that level among pros he is our PF going forward giving us a lot of flexibility to move other players of this position if needed.

Hart is a competitor, I like players with his mindset and he has some legit skills.

It is the first time in several seasons that I feel pretty optimistic. Ball looks like the kind of talent long time Lakers fans like me are used to have on the roster, Ingram is looking like a go to guy in the making and Kuzma looked great in summer league.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

Inspector Gadget wrote:

1. There is a distinct difference between "there" and "their". Can't take you seriously until you figure it out

2. The last four years they've had players on expiring deals trying to showcase "their" talent and it didn't do squat for W's

3. Why is Randle in the convo for MIP? Because he lost weight? Has he worked with a psychologist about not giving up when he gets early fouls? Has he improved that hideous looking jump shot? Has he worked on his D?

4. LONZO is an immediate impact player because he tore up the SPl? I hope you're right, to me it was awesome to see but means 0 on Oct 19

I hate the whole "compete for 48 minutes" crap. These guys are multi millionaires-some deserving and some not. If you can't sell out for 48 go find another gig. Sticking to my 33-49 prediction as a peak. More likely 24-27 wins and 15 or 16 seed in the west
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

We haven't even seen these guys play yet. There are reasons for optimism, but saying anyone is guaranteed to be in the MIP discussion is absurd. We haven't even played preseason yet.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

It's not crazy to hope for 40 plus wins, I think there's a reasonable chance we could get there.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

1. There is a distinct difference between "there" and "their". Can't take you seriously until you figure it out

2. The last four years they've had players on expiring deals trying to showcase "their" talent and it didn't do squat for W's

3. Why is Randle in the convo for MIP? Because he lost weight? Has he worked with a psychologist about not giving up when he gets early fouls? Has he improved that hideous looking jump shot? Has he worked on his D?

4. LONZO is an immediate impact player because he tore up the SPl? I hope you're right, to me it was awesome to see but means 0 on Oct 19

I hate the whole "compete for 48 minutes" crap. These guys are multi millionaires-some deserving and some not. If you can't sell out for 48 go find another gig. Sticking to my 33-49 prediction as a peak. More likely 24-27 wins and 15 or 16 seed in the west

33-49? A 16 win swing??? Why not predict a win range of 0-82 while you're at it? Haha
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Sounds like your GF dumped you
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
It's not crazy to hope for 40 plus wins, I think there's a reasonable chance we could get there.

There is also trades during the season that can make us better.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

ringfinger wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

33-49? A 16 win swing??? Why not predict a win range of 0-82 while you're at it? Haha

He's saying 33 wins and 49 losses - not a range
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Most expect about 35 wins. So if we exceed expectations it will be anything beyond that. Defense will have to be our calling card. I am really interested in how this team will play defensively this season.

On the offensive end I think we'll be fine. Ball is going to be elite at getting his teammates easy buckets - Randle will continue to be stronger/faster than most at his position now with an outside shot - Lopez will stretch the floor well - KCP will use his speed on runouts - and Ingram will be unstoppable when strength meets his skill level.

But defensively - That's where I'm worried a bit. Not sure what Luke's plans are for def schemes, but our individual defense needs to improve as much as our team defense. If they can put it the effort and commit to defense, sky's the limit. Wait n see i guess...frickin season start already!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

Rek wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He's saying 33 wins and 49 losses - not a range

Haha. Ohhhh, well, that makes a lot more sense huh? =)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

No offense, but this is the type of stuff you hear before every preseason -- the young guys are going to have a dramatic jump; guys on expiring contracts will play their brains out; our rookies will come in and be the next big thing. Heck, I saw threads almost identical to this before last season, and the season before that. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

There is also trades during the season that can make us better.

I doubt we'll see a lot of trades, except to further position ourselves for the offseason. Improving this years team would only be a byproduct of that.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No offense, but this is the type of stuff you hear before every preseason -- the young guys are going to have a dramatic jump; guys on expiring contracts will play their brains out; our rookies will come in and be the next big thing. Heck, I saw threads almost identical to this before last season, and the season before that. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Hope springs eternal in the summertime. Just roll with it and hope like the rest of us.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

This is a real good point, I do remember people being excited about our teams the last few years, but this team can be special, even some people can't deny that, there is a real energy surrounding the Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: