OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
2019 wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Makes List Of NBA’s Most Underrated

Quote:
“Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is one of the most underrated guys. He’s a very good two-way player who gets overlooked.”

http://hoopshype.com/2017/07/08/nba-players-discuss-who-are-the-leagues-most-underrated/

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kentavious-caldwell-pope-makes-list-of-nbas-most-underrated-players/2017/08/10/

I've said it before and I'll say it again KCP should and needs to be a part of our future - he's the perfect fit next to Lonzo. You will love the aspects of his game he thrives at here in LA and he's 24

Without his bird rights, it's going to be awfully hard to keep him and sign 2 max guys.

If, for example we signed LeBron + Cousins then retained KCP, we'd be set.

Instead, I think we're going to go for LeBron + George then retain Lopez on a short deal before a larger pay day.

We have Lopez, Randle and KCP in the same situation, but we don't have KCP bird rights so if it is almost impossible to keep the first two, the chances to keep KCP is about zero.

Lopez is a Cali dude and the best player of the bunch, taking into account he has his pockets full from his previous contracts he has the greatest chance to be here after next season, still a very slim chance.

Lopez is the worst fit of the 3 if we want to compete with GS.

I don't think so. To defeat a foe running the same strategy you have to be better than him at it and the only position where we have any kind of advantage is the C spot with Lopez.

KCP has impressive highlights and I believe he is a good fit next to Lonzo, but looking at his splits he is not really an upgrade over Russell.

Julius may have a body type that reminds of Green, is quicker, faster and a better ball handler, but while Green is an elite defender Julius is statistically one of the worst defenders of the league and while Green is not a great shooter, he is good enough to keep defenses honest, something we hope Julius will be able to do, but at this time it is just hope.

Of the three positions the PF spot is where we have more depth.

The new front office know who they should have to move to keep the plan intact, I don't think drafting Hart and Kuzma was just about best prospects available, but also players under a rookie deal with potential to replace others that we are probably moving.

I'll not be a bit surprised with Hart and Kuzma taking JC and Randle roles in the future and they look like better fits next to Lonzo. Our PG of the future can't stop praising Kuzma and he is not alone here.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

If all goes well for KCP we are looking at another Rip Hamilton
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Playoffs are a goal for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Quote:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope was one of the big acquisitions for the Los Angeles Lakers. With his new team, he hopes to make the playoffs.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2017/08/20/los-angeles-lakers-playoffs-goal-kentavious-caldwell-pope/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I hope he plays good enough that we have to keep him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope All 153 Three-Pointers in 2016-17 season | Full Highlights

Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

If Ingram progresses as much as I hope, I think KCP/Ingram would be a really nice defensive wing duo. KCP guards the best 1/2 and Ingram guards be the best 2/3 IMO.

That could be a big part in having a successful season tbh
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
If Ingram progresses as much as I hope, I think KCP/Ingram would be a really nice defensive wing duo. KCP guards the best 1/2 and Ingram guards be the best 2/3 IMO.

That could be a big part in having a successful season tbh

They are good fits on paper with Lonzo.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't. That will mean with our precious cap room we're settling for player that isn't a superstar or a star. He's a one year rental, a good player, not a great one, or a superstar.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't. That will mean with our precious cap room we're settling for player that isn't a superstar or a star. He's a one year rental, a good player, not a great one, or a superstar.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

A bird in the hand >>>>>>>>>>> a dream
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Given your strong support for both the Mozgov and Deng signings, I would have thought you've learned from that way of thinking.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If the bird can't lead you to a championship it means nothing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Then we deal every player who can't lead us to a title? Ingram, gone. Randle, gone. Ball, gone. Nance, gone. Get the point? We have no players who can lead us to a title.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Then we deal every player who can't lead us to a title? Ingram, gone. Randle, gone. Ball, gone. Nance, gone. Get the point? We have no players who can lead us to a title.

How can people forget the obvious one in PG13. He's even been in the playoffs which makes the argument more ludicrous.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

KCP is a solid back-up plan on a big-money, long-term deal if we whiff on LBJ and PG (and probably Westbrook and Cousins, though I personally don't want either).

However I hope you're not advocating that we max KCP. That would be a big mistake unless he shows enormous strides this year. I also hope you're not advocating we prioritize him over the superstar FAs. I'm sure KCP will be fine waiting for the LBJ domino to drop given they're both Klutch guys.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

If he plays like a max player why wouldn't we pay him? Isn't the goal to improve? If he plays that well we are winning ball games.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If he plays like a max player why wouldn't we pay him? Isn't the goal to improve? If he plays that well we are winning ball games.

Isn't that IF absurdly unlikely? We could play around with hypothetical's forever. Let's stay on planet Earth for now.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Isn't that IF absurdly unlikely? We could play around with hypothetical's forever. Let's stay on planet Earth for now.

No question VLF. As stated above though, that is extremely unlikely. KCP's improvement would need to be astronomical to merit ostensibly choosing him over a Westbrook or Cousins (though again, I personally don't want either of those guys on the team).

However, if you can't get both LBJ and PG, and KCP is open to taking a 5/80 type of deal (unlikely given he turned down a similar deal with DET, and PHI will have max money and a huge need at SG next year) that would be worth doing IMO.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

[quote="venturalakersfan"]
nash wrote:

I disagree. I believe in this current collection of players. Including Deng. Including JC. Including Randle. But, that's just one Laker fanatic's unfounded opinion. It's about a collective. Not just one leader. We needed Hory's clutchness. Fisher's defensive tenacity was key. Grant, Ariza, Vujačić and a hall of role players that stepped up when we needed them to be champions. The team is a single entity. The team is the champion.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Ingram was called the untouchable because people following him day to day think he can be this player in the future and the same applies to Ball. Any other player is movable, we traded a second pick to free capspace, unless they play like superstars KCP, Julius and Lopez are gone, if KCP or Julius can become a better player than PG13 next season they should be kept, but at this point I'd call it a looong shot
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No. Well, not necessarily.

Prior to his injury, his December to January before his injury, he looked like he'd be headed in that direction or at least towards getting a huge payday and being near untouchable from Detroit's standpoint because of what he was bringing on both ends and the groove he'd found. Then the injury happened.

MJST wrote:
Now.. why did his stock drop?  

it dropped because he had one of the worst drop offs from February through April that we've seen from a player in quite some time. It was likely due to a shoulder injury he suffered against the Warriors which kept him out for 4 games. After he came back he dropped off severely after a great start to the season. That is why his stock dropped.  But it dropped enough to make him obtainable for us. 

Here was the progression throughout the season and I'm just gonna round up. 

KCP 
October 10/2/2 41% from the field 18% from three  (3 games) 
November 16/3/3 42% from the field 40% from three  (17 games) 
December 14/4/3 42% from the field 39% from three  (15 games)
January 14/3/3 40% from the field 40% from three  (8 games) 
January is when the shoulder injury happened, in the 5 games he'd played in January before the injury he put up 

18.6 PPG 
4.0 REB
3.4 AST
1.8 STL 
Field Goal 48.5%
Three Point 51.6%   

And was on a 14 game stretch that saw him look the best he'd looked and on the verge.  That 14 game stretch he put up 

15.9 PPG 
3.4 REB
2.7 AST
1.4 STL 
Field Goal 45.7%
Three Point 45.2%   
But it was after that shoulder injury to the Warriors, it all came crashing down for his season.  As you see the last 3 games of January after the shoulder injury, his numbers dropped to this 

12.3 PPG 
2.7 REB
2.7 AST
2.0 STL 
Field Goal 26.8%
Three Point 21.1%   
That's pretty drastic you see?  It didn't get better as his months dropped off as the season continued.  Keep in mind his January and then watch. 

January 14/3/3 40% from the field 40% from three  (8 games) 
February 15.5/4/2.5 40% from the field 34% from three  (12 games)
March 13/3/2 38% from the field 31% from three  (17 games) 
April 7/3/1.5 28% from the field 18% from three  (4 games)

Those are the reasons basketball-wise why his stock dropped.  So let's hope he's gonna be close to 100% this year for us and he gets his three point shot back right by the start of the season.

Theoretically, if he remains healthy this year and that shoulder is 100% he can hopefully build on what he was doing before the injury.

Something that is a NECESSITY he MUST fix however is his finishing ability.

I'd say if KCP put up 18 on 45% from the field and 38-41% from three he'd be a near lock for that payday, because he's still only 24 and that'd be pretty darn impressive.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks to all the above posters.

I think we want want Pope to fill that "IF" he could become a dominate
player question. It remains to be seen but IF any of our player shows becomes a star that would a great short cut to winning. Obviously some will drop off, but having 2-3 homegrown stars would be great, I'm not saying it'll happen, but IF does, wow..
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Ingram was called the untouchable because people following him day to day think he can be this player in the future and the same applies to Ball. Any other player is movable, we traded a second pick to free capspace, unless they play like superstars KCP, Julius and Lopez are gone, if KCP or Julius can become a better player than PG13 next season they should be kept, but at this point I'd call it a looong shot

Of all our lottery picks Ingram had the worst first season. I like the kid but he hasn't come close to showing he can lead a team to a title. Good role player to have and he can be a piece of a title team. Buy the Koop Aid all you want, but if you saw a generational player last season not many would agree.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Of all our lottery picks Ingram had the worst first season. I like the kid but he hasn't come close to showing he can lead a team to a title. Good role player to have and he can be a piece of a title team. Buy the Koop Aid all you want, but if you saw a generational player last season not many would agree.

kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The guy was extremely skinny and not prepared for the NBA. Having said that, I thought he had a good, not great season. By no means would I conclude that he won't be a star player. He has unique physical attributes and a relentless work effect. That combination almost always yields a top level player and the Summer League gave us a glimpse of that.

Giannis Antetokounmpo Is a good comp. Though slightly taller, he was outmatched in his first year.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/antetgi01.html
I think most would agree that by his fourth year he was a star and will likely be an NBA superstar for the next decade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 27 of 182
Jump to: