How Lakers New Young Core Compares With Other Teams (Top 10 Youthful NBA Core Groups..pg 2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are in a unique position where they can have a top young core AND attract 2 max players. This is why the ranking of just young cores is a bit misleading to me. (and cores like Denver/Minny either signed or traded for an all-star this year, so it's not like they just internally and solely grew their team).
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes we could. In keeping with this thread, Minny has already made the moves to surround their young core with solid vets. Denver can potentially add one max player. The Lakers could potentially add 2 max players but at the price of part of their core. Philly can add 2 max players, but the price would likely just be Bayless. Sacramento can add 1 max or maybe 2, but I am not sure where their core stands. That puts Minny ahead of the rest with the others TBD.

I'd talk about sacrifice of young core if we have a player posting some huge numbers. I get the feeling that we could end up moving two or three players that would be journeymen like Beasley.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
I want to say we're #1 but it's hard to say that with a straight face.

Feel like 100% healthy, Philly has the best followed by Mil. Minny already has 2 guys scoring 25 a game.

We have yet to see Lonzo play in the NBA regular season and BI had a pretty dismal first year. Randle has been average thus far despite showing flashes, and Nance is a nice role player. Clarkson has 6MOY potential. Need to see Kuzma and Zu more but Kuz looks like he could be the real thing. Hart is very much an unknown but I think he'll be a Nance like role player. Bryant-- no idea.

So in many ways, I'll score us an incomplete until we see year 2 BI, see Julius with Lonzo, and then see Lonzo in regular NBA basketball. We could end up special.

How the he'll is Philly ahead of Minn?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I agree but I get the "when healthy" part. I would have to see them healthy to form an opinion.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Necro-thread bump:

Minnesota may have been better off trading Wiggins instead of Lavine for Butler. They also might have been able to keep one of Dunn or the #7 pick in the deal given Wiggins' hype.

Towns/Lavine/Markkanen looks like a more modern young core to build around with vets like Butler, Gibson, and Teague than Towns/Wiggins.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

After the bump, we are farther behind than I thought.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm more optimistic, but I think I'm more sanguine about Kuzma becoming a star than you are.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I'll sum up my thoughts like this... DLO was a huge loss to the core and I think he'd be helping us win more games. But I didn't expect Ingram to make the jump he did, Kuzma is a revelation, and Lonzo is already looking promising and improving by the game. This is a legit core that could be as good as any team's young talent in a year or two, I think if one of Lonzo or Ingram hit their actual ceiling this core is in business.

And agree about the Lavine trade.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm more optimistic, but I think I'm more sanguine about Kuzma becoming a star than you are.

Kuzma likely will be our best but isn’t in the ballpark of Jokic, Embiid or even Towns.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kuzma likely will be our best but isn’t in the ballpark of Jokic, Embiid or even Towns.

As the great Michael Scott once said, "oh, how the turntables."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

There's the difference - I think Ball will surpass Kuzma, and Ingram might. And having Kuzma as a third option may make up for the gap up top between guys like Embiid/Jokic/Giannis/Towns and Lonzo.

But we shall see.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Necro-thread bump:

Minnesota may have been better off trading Wiggins instead of Lavine for Butler. They also might have been able to keep one of Dunn or the #7 pick in the deal given Wiggins' hype.

Towns/Lavine/Markkanen looks like a more modern young core to build around with vets like Butler, Gibson, and Teague than Towns/Wiggins.

On the same page again. I've really disliked Wiggins' game for a while. He does nothing but score, and on sub-par efficiency at that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

There's the difference - I think Ball will surpass Kuzma, and Ingram might. And having Kuzma as a third option may make up for the gap up top between guys like Embiid/Jokic/Giannis/Towns and Lonzo.

But we shall see.

Yeah, I think it's pointless to make firm declarations about what guys will become after 30 games in the league. I don't pretend to have an idea whether either one of them will become a star, or what ballparks either will end up in
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

the lakers appear to be in the best position if you take account of core and FAs.

if you are a top FA, would you be worried about Embiid, so 76ers are not ideal for that reason

timberwolves - not a great FA location.

while the lakers core are behind 76ers, wolves, they are primed for a major run after 2018 and possibly after 2019.

if they play their cards right, they could end up with 2 max FAs and also ball, bi, kuz and randle.

any of ball, bi, kuz and randle have a chance for being an allstar.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
the lakers appear to be in the best position if you take account of core and FAs.

if you are a top FA, would you be worried about Embiid, so 76ers are not ideal for that reason

while the lakers core are behind 76ers, wolves, they are primed for a major run after 2018 and possibly after 2019.

if they play their cards right, they could end up with 2 max FAs and also ball, bi, kuz and randle.

We are not in a better situation with young core and free agency than Philly is. They are set up to slip in one max star FA and competing for the ECFs. We could be in a couple of years, though.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

We are not in a better situation with young core and free agency than Philly is. They are set up to slip in one max star FA and competing for the ECFs. We could be in a couple of years, though.

a max FA would be worried about embiid's knees and body in general.
for example, lebron is better off trying to go to houston, even if for a 1 year gig.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

What gives Philly and the Bucks the biggest advantages is, you know for sure they're building around Embiid and Antetokounmpo.

They are the franchise players. I look at the Lakers roster and think they're building for a particular style of play instead of around Kuzma, Ingram, or Lonzo. Yeah, we need shooting, but it's not for Lonzo's sake, it's the system. Yeah, we need versatile defenders, but it's not for Zo, Kuzma, or BI's sake, it's for the team.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
What gives Philly and the Bucks the biggest advantages is, you know for sure they're building around Embiid and Antetokounmpo.

They are the franchise players. I look at the Lakers roster and think they're building for a particular style of play instead of around Kuzma, Ingram, or Lonzo. Yeah, we need shooting, but it's not for Lonzo's sake, it's the system. Yeah, we need versatile defenders, but it's not for Zo, Kuzma, or BI's sake, it's for the team.

We were so close to having that guy but Byron and antiquated thinking cost us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

for example, lebron is better off trying to go to houston, even if for a 1 year gig.

I don’t think that Lebron is a good fit there but Embiid’s knees have been fine. Plus a FA would be looking at Simmons, Fultz and Covington.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

I don’t think that Lebron is a good fit there but Embiid’s knees have been fine. Plus a FA would be looking at Simmons, Fultz and Covington.

at this point, fultz has not even played.
if you dont count embiid, i like lakers core more than 76ers.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

wiggins is on that derozan career arc. i think he's more valuable than people are giving him credit for.

i also think the young bigs are all overrated - you aren't winning (bleep) if your best player is a center these days. AD is and has been better than all of these young bigs and he can't drag that pelicans team anywhere. u just don't have a contending team if you don't have a top 5 ballhandling creator on your roster, period.

i'm betting on donovan mitchell and lonzo ball for the long term future.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

I prefer to wait until after the chickens hatch to count them. So let's not celebrate our great free agents and all--star young players until we actually sign those free agents and the young players actually become all-stars.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
wiggins is on that derozan career arc. i think he's more valuable than people are giving him credit for.

i also think the young bigs are all overrated - you aren't winning (bleep) if your best player is a center these days. AD is and has been better than all of these young bigs and he can't drag that pelicans team anywhere. u just don't have a contending team if you don't have a top 5 ballhandling creator on your roster, period.

i'm betting on donovan mitchell and lonzo ball for the long term future.

I agree with your latter point - superstar primary initiators are still going to be key to championship success, and I like Mitchell and Ball as initiators and two-way players.

I'm skeptical, though, of projecting Wiggins' improvement based on DeRozan's outlier development.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

at this point, fultz has not even played.
if you dont count embiid, i like lakers core more than 76ers.

Why would you not consider Embiid, he is one of their top two players. The two who are better at this point than any of ours. One star FA gets them to the next level.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

I agree with this part of your post. I was watching the ESPN doc This Magic Moment....fans should go back and watch clips of Shaq at LSU and with the Orlando Magic....athletically, he makes Embiid look pretty stiff. I had forgotten how athletic and nimble Shaq was through his early 20's.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: