Reasons why we might exceed expectations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

40 is not crazy, it's optimistic. I'm hoping for a bit more.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
40 is not crazy, it's optimistic. I'm hoping for a bit more.

It's completely normal though.

The team is in the best shape going into the year since Kobe teamed up with Howard

We also have a reason to play good basketball since we are trying to impress the NBA FAs and to cripple on Bostons LA pick.

I'm not trying to sound like we are gonna be world beaters, but I feel a lot better about the team then at any point in the last 5 years, if you are being optimistic let people support it. even if people have different expectations.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I agree. We can hope. It's sports, sometimes crazy things happen, that's why we watch.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
There's going to be so many sad Laker fans this year. I mean, 40 wins? Lmao

Wow, so fans can't have optimism when we are in the best situation since 2012 and you call fans sad for being optimistic..

That's a Debbie downer if I have ever seen 1.

I'm not going to comment on the 40 wins thing, but there's a difference between optimism and people taking it to the point of delusion.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Wow, so fans can't have optimism when we are in the best situation since 2012 and you call fans sad for being optimistic..

I'm not going to comment on the 40 wins thing, but there's a difference between optimism and people taking it to the point of delusion.

Delusion is apart of being a hardcore fan, I support fans when they try to be a realist, but I don't blame fans for being excited about the team, agents/players/NBA people are respecting us again so I can see why the expectations and excitement are high.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Reasons why we might exceed expectations: Not the best individual talents but the best overall?
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

There certainly is a difference between delusion and optimism. Believing that this team will still lose more than half it's games doesn't fall within that realm.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

While you're enjoying trolling, acting as if you know 40 wins is the ceiling, you should know that some of us don't share that "sad" feeling. People with varying degrees of basketball knowledge have differing opinions. I've played and watched basketball longer than many on LG have been alive and imo, this is a really good team that will do far better than what you consider sad. I'm not sad at all, just looking forward to surprising unbelievers and running teams into the ground, including the favorite team I'm guessing you don't want to reveal.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

While you're enjoying trolling, acting as if you know 40 wins is the ceiling, you should know that some of us don't share that "sad" feeling. People with varying degrees of basketball knowledge have differing opinions. I've played and watched basketball longer than many on LG have been alive and imo, this is a really good team that will do far better than what you consider sad. I'm not sad at all, just looking forward to surprising unbelievers and running teams into the ground, including the favorite team I'm guessing you don't want to reveal.

I'd be delighted with a pretty good team, really good is probably a stretch.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

My feeling is who cares? It's Sept 1 and if it gives you pleasure to think we'll win 40, 50 or whatever games, it doesn't hurt anyone. Maybe reality will support you or knock you down. But again who cares
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

My feeling is who cares? It's Sept 1 and if it gives you pleasure to think we'll win 40, 50 or whatever games, it doesn't hurt anyone. Maybe reality will support you or knock you down. But again who cares

We all have pet peeves and then have other things that don't motivate us. Basketball often involves a lot of trash talk and whether I'm playing or watching, it's motivational, so I tend to respond. When it comes to the "who cares" part, I could care less about player exceptions, cap holds, Bird rights, fantasy trades, heated conversations about matching potential trade salaries, or even free agency that's a year away. Front office details, as players say, is for agents to take care of. I root for what happens on the court, and the physical preparation before, during, and after the season. I closely watch for specific, detailed improvements from each player because sometimes that 1 thing could have a big impact on the game. As the front office crunches the numbers, I just want to see guys play so even before the season I can analyze and project their collective, potential impact.

Last edited by lakersboy on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:13 am; edited 6 times in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

It only gets annoying when reality does neither. "Well, we WOULD have won 50 but injuries and refs".
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

It only gets annoying when reality does neither. "Well, we WOULD have won 50 but injuries and refs".

Don't forget "We would have won but the NBA doesn't want (conspired against) us to win"
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

People are entitled to their delusional homer expectations. Meanwhile, I'll very much enjoy this season if I see a modest improvement from our prospects while you and OP will be confused and disappointed why the team "under achieved."
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Thinking Lakers winning the championship this coming season is delusional

Thinking about winning 40 games or even sneaking into the playoff is an improbable possibility but that's far from being delusional
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

40 wins isn't that high a bar, even in the West. It's definitely within reach and a worthy goal. Beyond 40 lies the possible, unlikely and then absurd categories.
At the beginning of every season I find myself somewhere between the somewhat possible to unlikely camps.

Last edited by kevin61 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Thinking Lakers winning the championship this coming season is delusional

Thinking about winning 40 games or even sneaking into the playoff is an improbable possibility but that's far from being delusional

Spot on.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

People are entitled to their delusional homer expectations. Meanwhile, I'll very much enjoy this season if I see a modest improvement from our prospects while you and OP will be confused and disappointed why the team "under achieved."

Hey, it's one way to look at things. Set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. I understand it, I'm just not wired that way. I try to keep myself somewhere around cautiously optimistic.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Hey, it's one way to look at things. Set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. I understand it, I'm just not wired that way. I try to keep myself somewhere around cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, being realistic and objective is more my style but you do you brogurt.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

It's really not a great distance between the two of us and optimism can be entirely rational based on history.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

You can be a realist, and still have optimism, I gotta say reading radio talk hosts rave about how the new regime has the NBA and agents looking at the Lakers in a positive way has me pumped up, we are headed towards a very bright future and if we land LeBron and another star, we are gonna be owning the NBA for the next couple of years.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Feel free to believe that all opinions are based on homerism. Fortunately, you'll be the only one on LG who isn't disappointed.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Feel free to believe that all opinions are based on homerism. Fortunately, you'll be the only one on LG who isn't disappointed.

Personally, I hope that Ingram and Randle have break out years. If each becomes a top ten player at his respective position, the Lakers have a reasonable chance of flirting with 40 wins. If, on the other hand, Ingram and Randle play like last year, the Lakers will struggle to get to 30 wins.

Will I be disappointed if Ingram and Randle don't have break out years? Yes.

Do I really expect them to have break out years? No, though I hope to see some improvement. Last season made it clear that both have a long ways to go--they still have time as both are still young.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

I'm not saying ALL opinions are based off homerism (nice stawman there bud by the way) just the bad and delusional ones such as Gadget bringing up 50 wins and the ones who will be "disappointed" if we don't win at least 40. There's never any real substance as to why they feel that aside from some stupid "Lonzo Ball effect" narrative for a 19 year old kid who's never played real professional basketball.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

I'm not saying ALL opinions are based off homerism (nice stawman there bud by the way) just the bad and delusional ones such as Gadget bringing up 50 wins and the ones who will be "disappointed" if we don't win at least 40. There's never any real substance as to why they feel that aside from some stupid "Lonzo Ball effect" narrative for a 19 year old kid who's never played real professional basketball.

Ball is gonna be a star from day 1, why is that shocking?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: