Which Max Running Mate Makes Sense if LBJ Joins Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The ultimate A+ offseason IMO would be:

Lbj
Pg13
Brook on room exception
Jules on QO

That is a beastly team in 2018.

Yeah this is my best case wish list.

Interesting point on Lopez sticking around in this scenario.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Eric,

Don't you think the following quote "There's a strong possibility that the market for Lopez will be the league's mid-level exception at about $8.7 million, which can pay up to $37.2 million over four seasons." is a bit over the top?

A strong possibility?

The bottom 11 teams in salaries can sign over $350 million in first year contracts. There are eight players who are likely max guys. Of those, Durant, Thomas, Jordan and Paul are likely to resign with their present teams. Those teams are maxed already.

Cap space is flexible, Golden State had no cap space before getting Durant and Houston had none before acquiring Paul.

There's nothing even close to suggesting that a center of Lopez's caliber will take the MLE. Adams makes 23mil a year, Drummond makes 26mil., Whiteside makes 24mil, Howard makes 23mil, Horford makes 27mil, Gasol makes 22mil, all on long term deals. Kelly Olynak averaged nine points a game and got 12mil.

I think it would be more accurate to say there's a possibility, not a strong possibility, not likely possibility, but a possibility.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Re-reading the (very informative & well conceived) article, I saw the following was stated:

(QUOTE): "How would teams defend two triple-double powerhouses like James and Westbrook?"

Well, based on the way Ball played in the Summer League, I would add him into that equation and say:

How would teams defend THREE triple-double powerhouses like James, Westbrook and Ball?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Emplay, what do you think of the rumor going around that we might able to get 3 max guys in LBJ/WB/PG13?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

"a prohibited expression of interest in the player while he was under contract"
~ one wonders what is the proper "NBA Way" agents can talk to agents that will be FAs, yet possibly involved in possible trades without being infractions, especially if no tangible or strongly alluded offer(s) were made. With players colluding all the time . . . .

Questions that will might be strategic in answering Eric's question(s).

* How long would LBJ commit to the Lakers (if he is coming)? If he is stating/committing to just one year, should/will the other FAs commit for the same length of LBJ's contract?

* Do the Lakers want Lonzo during the LBJ era and beyond? This might be a creative factor in deciding whether PG13 or Westbrook is the top option to pursue?

* What commitments would the other high-profiled FAs (i.e. Westbrook) want from LBJ and the FO?

* Should the targeted FAs have the Lakers' long-term future in mind?

* With LBJ and Westbrook playing 40+ MPG (maybe 35+MPG) likely only committing to 1-2 years contract, should the FO's long-term plans be utilizing this time to developed their future front court of Lonzo/Kuzma/Nance/Randle/JC that will be ready for Prime Time (deep playoff runs for years)

* Would Jordan's defensive prowess and very limited offensive skills be greater than Lopez's offensive skills and respectable defensive skills from a player that wants to play in SoCal

Exciting that the Lakers will very quickly return to the status of being an elite team always contending to win multiple rings!
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

If it's a choice of three, I'd take younger & Westbrook & PG13 over to many minutes & past his prime LBJ!!!
HC: Riley
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:

Am I the only one who thinks Durant is flirting with the Lakers?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I'd lean realite over stats. LBJ and RW are the elites, but George is more likely to pave the way for James than Westbrook passing on a super max. I think Westbrook will hold off leverage OKC to commit long term money to field a #2 west team and hope for a GS injury.

George is closest to making a real commitment to be in a great situation. He goes home and gets to be the guy that brought LBJ and then the star when James gets old and Ball and Ingram enter their young prime. That's also when GS will be done. Win win for George and he'd help the most short term with his ability to be a GREAT Robin and play some D too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

With 2 max players, I want a legit #1 and #2 option. I don't want 2 guys who will butt heads to be the #1 guy.

That's why LBJ/PG13 work for me. I see PG13 accepting almost a Pippen like role.

Or WB/PG13 for the same reasons.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:

Yup.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The ultimate A+ offseason IMO would be:

Lbj
Pg13
Brook on room exception
Jules on QO

That is a beastly team in 2018.

Yeah this is my best case wish list.

Interesting point on Lopez sticking around in this scenario.

Please Lord!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

My preferences to go with LBJ - NOT saying we pay all these guys the MAX, but if we're going for 2-for-1 next summer...

(1) PG-13 - For great all-around skills and being right in his prime now, though we may need him to play slightly out of position at SG with Ingram at the 3. May be able to extend his peak career years playing next to Ingram and Ball.

(2) Westbrook - For sheer star power and firepower, but his age and high-intensity style might mean we'd only have for him the same number of productive years (3-4 years, at most) as LBJ.

(3) Avery Bradley - Don't laugh. Decent scorer, respected defender, solid outside shot, AND only 26 years old. You want a long-term back-court partner for Lonzo that doesn't have to be an alpha, but will be a heckuva reliable beta, there you go. Likely not a MAX pickup, but would be a great pickup for us next to either LBJ or PG-13.

(4) Zach Lavine - A respectable 3 shooter to go along with his crazy air game. Doesn't play reliable defense, and the recovery from his knee injury... but tell me that if he's healthy, you wouldn't want to have him running alongside Lonzo in the backcourt and with LBJ feeding him passes on cuts to the basket.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Bishop* wrote:

Yup.

nope. LBJ and Durant.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
Judah wrote:
Bishop* wrote:

Yup.

nope. LBJ and Durant.

If we can sign LBJ to get Durant I am all for it.

I really like PG 13 but wouldn't mind keeping our current cast and adding LBJ.

Probably have to let KCP or Lopez go and trade Clarkson with a Deng stretch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: