used car purchase help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

I agree with the lease her a new car statements previously mentioned. It will be a safer vehicle that will likely need nothing but oil changes for the next 2-3 years. Also, her vehicle needs and desires will change quickly at her age, so in a couple years or so she will be wanting a different vehicle. With lease that works out perfectly.

Kia, VW, and even Ford have some very aggressive lease deals currently. You could lease her a brand new vehicle (say a Ford Fusion) for less than what you'd pay for a used vehicle with less features (and that's not including an maintanance costs and replacement parts the used vehicle will likely need in that same 2-3 year period)

Vehicle ownership is slowly going away, with leasing and uber/lyft like solutions being the more cost effective way to meet our transportation needs. Technology in vehicles is changing so quickly now that a several year old car will soon be like a computer or phone that is several years old (almost worthless and incapable). IMO very few of us will be owning cars other than collectibles in the near future. An old rule of thumb is purchase items that increase in value, lease items that depreciate.

People have to remember that things are not the same now as when you were that age. I suggest preparing her for the future, not holding her back with the past. I would want a young person to have to most current reverse sensing systems, cameras, blind spot systems, advanced traction controls, braking systems, latest air bags, and all the other safety features on the newest models.

Just my $.02 (I work in the industry)
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Conker wrote:
$20k is too much for a car.

Stupid me, I paid nearly $30k for a 3 year old used car...

Damn man. Plus the full-coverage insurance...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

If (and this is a requirement) she will be living somewhere she can plug in when she's home, a used Leaf would be a great starter car. She wouldn't be able to use it for road trips, but the 80 mile range would be great for daily driving, and they're cheap as hell.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
I agree with the lease her a new car statements previously mentioned. It will be a safer vehicle that will likely need nothing but oil changes for the next 2-3 years. Also, her vehicle needs and desires will change quickly at her age, so in a couple years or so she will be wanting a different vehicle. With lease that works out perfectly.

Kia, VW, and even Ford have some very aggressive lease deals currently. You could lease her a brand new vehicle (say a Ford Fusion) for less than what you'd pay for a used vehicle with less features (and that's not including an maintanance costs and replacement parts the used vehicle will likely need in that same 2-3 year period)

Vehicle ownership is slowly going away, with leasing and uber/lyft like solutions being the more cost effective way to meet our transportation needs. Technology in vehicles is changing so quickly now that a several year old car will soon be like a computer or phone that is several years old (almost worthless and incapable). IMO very few of us will be owning cars other than collectibles in the near future. An old rule of thumb is purchase items that increase in value, lease items that depreciate.

People have to remember that things are not the same now as when you were that age. I suggest preparing her for the future, not holding her back with the past. I would want a young person to have to most current reverse sensing systems, cameras, blind spot systems, advanced traction controls, braking systems, latest air bags, and all the other safety features on the newest models.

Hmmm, if you only ever leased, wouldn't that cost you more than if you bought every 10 years?

Over 10 years, a Camry costs on average about $5,500 for repairs and maintenance. Camry SE is about $24K plus the $5.5K is $29.5K.

If you always leased a Camry, you would pay $289/month plus $2K due at signing and a 12K annual mile restriction which is below average in CA. Total cost assuming no out of pocket repair/maintenance costs and assuming no mileage overage charges, no charges for nicks/scratches/dents, and that's still $36.7K and you have to drive less than the average Californian and you have to pay to fix for every dent, scratch, etc.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Startrout wrote:

Hmmm, if you only ever leased, wouldn't that cost you more than if you bought every 10 years?

Over 10 years, a Camry costs on average about $5,500 for repairs and maintenance. Camry SE is about $24K plus the $5.5K is $29.5K.

If you always leased a Camry, you would pay $289/month plus $2K due at signing and a 12K annual mile restriction which is below average in CA. Total cost assuming no out of pocket repair/maintenance costs and assuming no mileage overage charges, no charges for nicks/scratches/dents, and that's still $36.7K and you have to drive less than the average Californian and you have to pay to fix for every dent, scratch, etc.

definitely have to weigh that $ extra cost with leasing but on the flip side, you always drive a car that is less than 3 yrs old vs a 6 or 7 or 10 yr old car... for an 18 yr old, buy it
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Startrout wrote:

definitely have to weigh that $ extra cost with leasing but on the flip side, you always drive a car that is less than 3 yrs old vs a 6 or 7 or 10 yr old car... for an 18 yr old, buy it

I agree with. Buying an older car for a college-aged student makes the most sense. Can't even fathom how leasing would be better since you can only lease new.

It'll be 4 yrs before they graduate minimum, and chances are they'll need at least another year or so before they can afford to buy their own.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Conker wrote:
$20k is too much for a car.

Stupid me, I paid nearly $30k for a 3 year old used car...

Damn man. Plus the full-coverage insurance...

Well, I left out that I paid cash for it, in case that matters and I have USAA insurance, which is the best insurance company in the US...
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

I just get the cheapest insurance since I just see insurance as a big waste of money.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
I just get the cheapest insurance since I just see insurance as a big waste of money.

Did you go to the general and save some time?
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Conker wrote:

Did you go to the general and save some time?

Nah. I got some rink-a-dink insurance with PIP paying $80/month which is too much to pay in my opinion.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I got baited n' switched at a large dealer in Van Nuys. I came all the way over there yesterday after confirming the car (CPO 2015 honda civic, non-rental, perfect carfax, 22k miles for $12.5k out the door) in their stock via e-mail the previous night and by phone 20 minutes before arrival with someone on their internet team. I spent 10 minutes getting buttered up by some scrote with cufflinks whose name I can't remember before he hit me with "di cor hes been soooold" in a heavy Iranian accent. I won't bother with describing my anger or the scene I caused...we crossed the county, ready and excited to buy. (bleep) that place. The search continues.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject:

Baba come back and geev us anoder chance. Ve gonna give you a good deal. I peromees.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

I got baited n' switched at a large dealer in Van Nuys. I came all the way over there yesterday after confirming the car (CPO 2015 honda civic, non-rental, perfect carfax, 22k miles for $12.5k out the door) in their stock via e-mail the previous night and by phone 20 minutes before arrival with someone on their internet team. I spent 10 minutes getting buttered up by some scrote with cufflinks whose name I can't remember before he hit me with "di cor hes been soooold" in a heavy Iranian accent. I won't bother with describing my anger or the scene I caused...we crossed the county, ready and excited to buy. (bleep) that place. The search continues.

My first car was a 76' Plymouth Valiant, baby poo yellow with rusted floorboards. I loved it. Just sayin'.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Baba come back and geev us anoder chance. Ve gonna give you a good deal. I peromees.

Whats funny about this is I actually read this in my mind just like that.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Sucks man! I think you are the right track with the Honda. Outside of the Prius, which is amazingly reliable, Toyotas are not well put together any longer. Toyota is like the 80's GM of Japan. They are too big and care more about short term profits now than building the best quality cars.

Honda is still somewhat run by engineers and car people so IMO their products are better.

Subaru is smaller yet and almost completely run by engineers- hence their kinda dowdy styling and cheap interiors- but dang their cars are built like tanks and can take incredible abuse. I still miss my 04 STi, that thing was a wicked fast bulletproof rally monster. And after 8 years and 80,000 miles it got back half what I paid for it as a trade in.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Sucks man! I think you are the right track with the Honda. Outside of the Prius, which is amazingly reliable, Toyotas are not well put together any longer. Toyota is like the 80's GM of Japan. They are too big and care more about short term profits now than building the best quality cars.

Honda is still somewhat run by engineers and car people so IMO their products are better.

Subaru is smaller yet and almost completely run by engineers- hence their kinda dowdy styling and cheap interiors- but dang their cars are built like tanks and can take incredible abuse. I still miss my 04 STi, that thing was a wicked fast bulletproof rally monster. And after 8 years and 80,000 miles it got back half what I paid for it as a trade in.

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Would you mind linking me to some reading regarding Toyota's decline in build quality? I looked at a table that someone compiled based on JD Power's reliability reports from years 2010-2016 and Toyota is in the top 5 every year and overall...what am I missing?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Would you mind linking me to some reading regarding Toyota's decline in build quality? I looked at a table that someone compiled based on JD Power's reliability reports from years 2010-2016 and Toyota is in the top 5 every year and overall...what am I missing?

I read the same as what you did. This is what I had read:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/the-cost-of-car-ownership/

Not sure how Lincoln and Buick outperformed Toyota. But I wonder if that is because old people buy those brands and rarely put many miles on them.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Not sure how Lincoln and Buick outperformed Toyota. But I wonder if that is because old people buy those brands and rarely put many miles on them.

Certain Toyotas are great, the Prius like I said are amazingly reliable, their trucks are the same way. They should be, they only moved away from 5 speed automatics last year and have not been redesigned since the early 00's.

It is their cheap cars where the quality really took a dive like the Tercels and the Scions which are now rebranded as Toyotas. Those cars are basically throw away vehicles. My ex had a tercel that kept throwing main bearings despite consistent oil changes. My mechanic could not find replacement junkyard motors because they all blew up and had to rebuild the damn thing at 60k miles, of course it blew up again because they freaking put main bearings in them that were way too small.

Toyotas used to be dull driving cars that would all last 200k plus miles. Now they are dull driving cars that won't do that.

If you are just going to turn the car over and don't care that it drives like a pile then get one. But if you want it to last, go with the Prius or get a Honda or Subaru. Mazdas and Fords have the best small car driving dynamics but I can't speak to their reliability.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

^ Thanks. No plans to get one but what about Corolla and Camry?

I'm actually waiting for a high range EV that looks nice and doesn't cost over $40K. Just don't get how chevy is the only brand with one outside of Tesla.

What are your thoughts on some of the hydrogen fuel cell hybrids? I happen to have a station near my house. If I can get one with 200mi+ battery range plus the hydro fuel option I might bite.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Talk about Bait n Switch, that is what Honda dealers are all about!

You see the "Helpful Honda guys" on TV? What a load of crap and false advertising!

Not to play the Middle-Eastern race card, but since Huey mentioned it, I went to Cerritos Honda and Huntington Beach Honda and at both places I had Middle-Eastern salesmen working on me, they knew very little about the cars - all they were concerned with was the SALE. I ended up buying a the Westminster Honda Dealership...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

probably avoid buying a used car in SE Texas for a couple years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Certain Toyotas are great, the Prius like I said are amazingly reliable, their trucks are the same way. They should be, they only moved away from 5 speed automatics last year and have not been redesigned since the early 00's.

It is their cheap cars where the quality really took a dive like the Tercels and the Scions which are now rebranded as Toyotas. Those cars are basically throw away vehicles. My ex had a tercel that kept throwing main bearings despite consistent oil changes. My mechanic could not find replacement junkyard motors because they all blew up and had to rebuild the damn thing at 60k miles, of course it blew up again because they freaking put main bearings in them that were way too small.

Toyotas used to be dull driving cars that would all last 200k plus miles. Now they are dull driving cars that won't do that.

If you are just going to turn the car over and don't care that it drives like a pile then get one. But if you want it to last, go with the Prius or get a Honda or Subaru. Mazdas and Fords have the best small car driving dynamics but I can't speak to their reliability.

Yup. I have a 92 legacy wagon with a five speed and it is closing on 400k miles. Thing is a tank.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ Thanks. No plans to get one but what about Corolla and Camry?

I'm actually waiting for a high range EV that looks nice and doesn't cost over $40K. Just don't get how chevy is the only brand with one outside of Tesla.

What are your thoughts on some of the hydrogen fuel cell hybrids? I happen to have a station near my house. If I can get one with 200mi+ battery range plus the hydro fuel option I might bite.

Yeah, the Bolt is actually a really good car for the money, the looks... not so great in my opinion. But GM has spent billions on EV cars to date and it is not a surprise to me that they have built a low priced EV with such a long range. GM is actually making great cars now. The Camaro's and Caddy's are now excellent drivers cars, light weight and really great in the corners. Sad to see my favorite, the Mustang, at such a disadvantage now.

I don't like the concept of hybrid cars. They basically have an electric and an internal combustion drive train. That is heavy and makes the cars handle like crap.

Pure EV is good if you can deal with range anxiety. The cars can be lighter because they don't have to lug around a gas engine and the battery weight that they do have can be distributed to the bottom of the platform, improving handling. EV's are mechanically simple and should be much more reliable than an internal combustion drive train. The only real issues in EV's are the batteries. Once the commercialize the dry cell lithium batteries, watch out the game will be over. All cars will be EV's because those dry cell batteries do not require the cooling systems that the currently liquid based batteries require and they are in no danger of exploding in accidents. Plus they have much greater energy density which means greater range and they are lighter.

I actually love the fuel cell a lot. Hydrogen can be obtained with no pollution if you use solar panels for the extraction. Plus, you can refuel in minutes, so no range anxiety. Mechanically they are very simple. No moving parts in the fuel cell and the rest is an EV drive train.

Problem is hydrogen stations are scarce and considering the head start that pure EV's have in terms of market acceptance and R and D dollars I don't know if there will be a huge push to build more hydrogen infrastructure. Like I said, I think that the dry cell battery powered car will be the killer app and will be the dominant form of transportation in the future. see: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/super-battery.html

As far as Camry vs. Corolla I would go Camry. I don't know about the new version of the Corolla, but the previous gen version was junk. The Camry is their bread and butter car and serves as a platform for some Lexus cars, so they are bolted together better than the Corolla.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

I'm shopping for a starter car for my 17 year-old niece who starts college in a couple of a weeks, it's her bday gift

I'm looking at certified sedans with ~30k miles. My max price is $14k

I found a 2014 sonata with about 30k for $11.5k and a 10 year warranty. This is at the top of my list for that price point, but this my first time buying a used car so I don't know much, and also am a novice at automotive knowledge in general.

I see similarly priced 2014, 2015 civics and corollas all over socal. Reliability reports + traditional reputation makes me want to lean Toyota/Honda, but the 10 year warranty and larger size/dollar is attractive.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Lean Toyota and Honda. The warranty for Hyundai is only good if strict maintainance records are there. The Toyota and Honda will also have higher resale value after your done with the vehicle.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

Mike@LG wrote:
I'm shopping for a starter car for my 17 year-old niece who starts college in a couple of a weeks, it's her bday gift

I'm looking at certified sedans with ~30k miles. My max price is $14k

I found a 2014 sonata with about 30k for $11.5k and a 10 year warranty. This is at the top of my list for that price point, but this my first time buying a used car so I don't know much, and also am a novice at automotive knowledge in general.

I see similarly priced 2014, 2015 civics and corollas all over socal. Reliability reports + traditional reputation makes me want to lean Toyota/Honda, but the 10 year warranty and larger size/dollar is attractive.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Lean Toyota and Honda. The warranty for Hyundai is only good if strict maintainance records are there. The Toyota and Honda will also have higher resale value after your done with the vehicle.

What do you mean by strict maintenance? What must be done other than routine things? What are the the routine things?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: