OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

While I agree that Ingram had the worst rookie season among all our recent high draft picks I'll keep stressing that his development curve, his physical attributes, his BBIQ and his work ethic are the reasons he was the untouchable.

Other players had glaring faults that aren't all correctable just with hard work. By the way, it was reported that the lack of work ethic was one of the desirable attributes that we had other players lacking.

That is what makes someone 'basketball people', a vision of what kind of player a kid can be o e day.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I hope he plays good enough that we have to keep him.

I don't. That will mean with our precious cap room we're settling for player that isn't a superstar or a star. He's a one year rental, a good player, not a great one, or a superstar.

A bird in the hand >>>>>>>>>>> a dream

If the bird can't lead you to a championship it means nothing.

Then we deal every player who can't lead us to a title? Ingram, gone. Randle, gone. Ball, gone. Nance, gone. Get the point? We have no players who can lead us to a title.

Ingram was called the untouchable because people following him day to day think he can be this player in the future and the same applies to Ball. Any other player is movable, we traded a second pick to free capspace, unless they play like superstars KCP, Julius and Lopez are gone, if KCP or Julius can become a better player than PG13 next season they should be kept, but at this point I'd call it a looong shot

Of all our lottery picks Ingram had the worst first season. I like the kid but he hasn't come close to showing he can lead a team to a title. Good role player to have and he can be a piece of a title team. Buy the Koop Aid all you want, but if you saw a generational player last season not many would agree.

The guy was extremely skinny and not prepared for the NBA. Having said that, I thought he had a good, not great season. By no means would I conclude that he won't be a star player. He has unique physical attributes and a relentless work effect. That combination almost always yields a top level player and the Summer League gave us a glimpse of that.

Giannis Antetokounmpo Is a good comp. Though slightly taller, he was outmatched in his first year.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/antetgi01.html
I think most would agree that by his fourth year he was a star and will likely be an NBA superstar for the next decade.

I don't really think Giannis is a fair comparison. Giannis is a bigger, stronger and more athletic player. He has one of those once in a lifetime frames. Ingram isn't one of those. I do think Ingram has more raw skill, though not by much. If Ingram is going to get to Giannis's level he will have to do it with skills and intelligence because hes no match in the physical comparison.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I don't really think Giannis is a fair comparison. Giannis is a bigger, stronger and more athletic player. He has one of those once in a lifetime frames. Ingram isn't one of those. I do think Ingram has more raw skill, though not by much. If Ingram is going to get to Giannis's level he will have to do it with skills and intelligence because hes no match in the physical comparison.

Yes. You will not find another Giannis. We need to be in that sweepstakes when he gets to FA; that is if Milwaukee can't satisfy his career goals. If Magic/Pelinka's true vision of this team is positionless, I'm sure they're going to schedule all contracts around leaving space for the man. I mean what better way to follow up acquiring King James than to sign a Greek God?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will make this Lakers team a better team defensively but it is going to take more than him to do it. KCP combined with Ingram on the perimeter should be a big upgrade.

However Luke and the coaching staff will have to spearhead the effort and demand defensive accountability from every player from day one.
If we don't play much better defensively the results will be the same as last year.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will make this Lakers team a better team defensively but it is going to take more than him to do it. KCP combined with Ingram on the perimeter should be a big upgrade.

However Luke and the coaching staff will have to spearhead the effort and demand defensive accountability from every player from day one.
If we don't play much better defensively the results will be the same as last year.

Will be very nice if we added some good defensive gurus to the staff to work with the players and teach them the Defensive instincts.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Will be very nice if we added some good defensive gurus to the staff to work with the players and teach them the Defensive instincts.

Hopefully Miles Simon can add a little of that to the mix. We'll see.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

https://thesportspost.com/nba-top-50-kentavious-caldwell-pope/

'He’s probably the best Stephen Curry defender on Earth'
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

I think Lonzo is an upgrade defensively at the 1 as well.

We also added hart and Kuzma to the bench so we should be better defensively.

Clarkson and randle could be better defenders as long as they play with effort.

I think we will see the biggest improvement from nance though.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/6xaeay/kcp_getting_buckets_in_offseason_basketball_game/

New video of KCP owning a bunch of dudes in a pick up game
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Recent Articles on KCP:

*Sources: Building Relationship With Rich Paul Was Factor In Lakers
Quote:
According to multiple sources, a major motivating factor in the Los Angeles Lakers' decision to sign Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is because he is represented by Rich Paul.

Paul is also the agent of LeBron James, who the Lakers expect to pursue during 2018 free agency.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247313/Sources-Building-Relationship-With-Rich-Paul-Was-Factor-In-Lakers-Signing-KCP

*Rich Paul ‘major motivating factor’ in Lakers Signing KCP

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/sources-contact-with-rich-paul-major-motivating-factor-in-lakers-signing-kcp/
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject:

This is the most personality I've seen KCP exhibit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYeJB3nDOwh/?hl=en&taken-by=gunnarfitness
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
This is the most personality I've seen KCP exhibit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYeJB3nDOwh/?hl=en&taken-by=gunnarfitness

A few posters described KCP's news conference as "cringe worthy". Now "this is the most personality" is adding to the expectation/perception that might be expecting something that's not coming.

He strikes me as a bit reserved, and probably an introvert. In short, he's a guy that does his talking on the court where he's free to talk about the game he loves, especially on the defensive end. That's ok with me as long he's getting after some guys, and shutting down others, and hitting that 3.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Awesome.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Had no idea KCP was that big (in shape). Hope he plays well and we find our 2 guard of the future.

#BreadFromHeaven

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Awesome.

That kcp, Nance, Bryant lineup gotta be called the big green tractor lineup.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

Solid acq. Has done as good a job as any guarding Curry.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Did KCP get a chance to guard Kobe before his retirement?
Daiei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

KCP has horrible interview skills. He slipped during his media day interview and showed his true intentions - getting that money.

While that's expected and there's nothing wrong with it, it leaves a bad taste when you hear a player say it. He said the reason he came here was the Lakers offer and what was best for his family. Nothing about the Laker legacy, exciting youth/teammates, or LA culture. He started to say he'd be thankful for the one year he's been here but caught and corrected himself mid sentence.

I've always known he'd be a one year rental but at least fake the commitment while you're here.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Daiei wrote:
KCP has horrible interview skills. He slipped during his media day interview and showed his true intentions - getting that money.

While that's expected and there's nothing wrong with it, it leaves a bad taste when you hear a player say it. He said the reason he came here was the Lakers offer and what was best for his family. Nothing about the Laker legacy, exciting youth/teammates, or LA culture. He started to say he'd be thankful for the one year he's been here but caught and corrected himself mid sentence.

I've always known he'd be a one year rental but at least fake the commitment while you're here.

When he was introduced as a Laker in the introduction press conference he was more vocal about being a Laker, I honestly think Worthy and the other dude should have just talked basketball instead of putting a guy who is a FA into tough questions about his status next year.
Daiei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Daiei wrote:

When he was introduced as a Laker in the introduction press conference he was more vocal about being a Laker, I honestly think Worthy and the other dude should have just talked basketball instead of putting a guy who is a FA into tough questions about his status next year.

You're right...unfair questions. He seemed caught off guard too. You'd think his agent would prep him for that (I'm sure they did intro day). Still like the kid and very excited, just know not to get attached.

Anyone know if his ban from first few games includes preseason?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Daiei wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Daiei wrote:

You're right...unfair questions. He seemed caught off guard too. You'd think his agent would prep him for that (I'm sure they did intro day). Still like the kid and very excited, just know not to get attached.

Anyone know if his ban from first few games includes preseason?

To answer your question, KCP will play in the preseason games but will need to serve a 2 game suspension in the first 2 games of the regular season, and if we are gonna be a good team I think we can win those 2 games without KCP.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I am pretty sure it is regular season games, games he normally would be paid for.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I am pretty sure it is regular season games, games he normally would be paid for.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

A public speaker and a voice in the locker room, he isn't, but we shouldn't care as long as he performs on the court.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
A public speaker and a voice in the locker room, he isn't, but we shouldn't care as long as he performs on the court.

Someone said it, that KCP doesn't like talking, he does the action speak for him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 28 of 182
Jump to: