Boston Red Sox were caught using an Apple Watch in the dugout to steal signals from the Yankees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Boston Red Sox were caught using an Apple Watch in the dugout to steal signals from the Yankees

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Quote:
Boston Red Sox Used Apple Watches to Steal Signs Against Yankees

WASHINGTON — For decades, spying on another team has been as much a part of baseball’s gamesmanship as brushback pitches and hard slides. The Boston Red Sox have apparently added a modern — and illicit — twist: They used an Apple Watch to gain an advantage against the Yankees and other teams.

Investigators for Major League Baseball have determined that the Red Sox, who are in first place in the American League East and very likely headed to the playoffs, executed a scheme to illicitly steal hand signals from opponents’ catchers in games against the second-place Yankees and other teams, according to several people briefed on the matter.

The baseball inquiry began about two weeks ago, after the Yankees’ general manager, Brian Cashman, filed a detailed complaint with the commissioner’s office that included video the Yankees shot of the Red Sox dugout during a three-game series between the two teams in Boston last month.

The Yankees, who had long been suspicious of the Red Sox’s stealing catchers’ signs in Fenway Park, contended the video showed a member of the Red Sox training staff looking at his Apple Watch in the dugout and then relaying a message to players, who may have then been able to use the information to know the type of pitch that was going to be thrown, according to the people familiar with the case.

Baseball investigators corroborated the Yankees’ claims based on video the commissioner’s office uses for instant replay and broadcasts, the people said. The commissioner’s office then confronted the Red Sox, who admitted that their trainers had received signals from video replay personnel and then relayed that information to some players — an operation that had been in place for at least several weeks.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

Yankees Surge Past Orioles to Remain in the Thick of the Playoff Hunt SEPT. 4, 2017

YANKEES 9, RED SOX 2
Yankees Pound the Red Sox and Win a Four-Game Series SEPT. 4, 2017
RECENT COMMENTS

Jeff S. 1 hour ago
I just can't get worked up about cheating in for-profit professional sports when there is real-world cheating and law-breaking going on that...
silver bullet 1 hour ago
So does this mean that no team has the right to steal signs from the Yankees? The high and mighty Yankees never stole signs from the Red...
Toby 1 hour ago
Don't expect anything noble to happen. Baseball is a business, not a sport.
SEE ALL COMMENTS WRITE A COMMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story

The Red Sox responded in kind on Tuesday, filing a complaint against the Yankees, claiming that the team uses a camera from its YES television network exclusively to steal signs during games.

It is unclear what penalties, if any, Commissioner Rob Manfred will issue against the Red Sox and whether he will order a more expansive investigation to determine the extent of the Red Sox’s sign-stealing system. It is also unclear how he will proceed with the countercomplaint.

“We will conduct a thorough investigation on both sides,” Mr. Manfred said to reporters at Fenway Park, where he was present for an unrelated event. “We’re 100 percent comfortable that it is not an ongoing issue.”

Newsletter Sign UpContinue reading the main story
Get the big sports news, highlights and analysis from Times journalists, with distinctive takes on games and some behind-the-scenes surprises, delivered to your inbox every week.

Enter your email address

You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

SEE SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY OPT OUT OR CONTACT US ANYTIME
Mr. Manfred said he believed he had the power to punish teams in connection with such cheating.

“Could it happen? You know, is there the authority to do that? I think the answer to that, under the major league constitution, is yes,” he said. “Has it ever happened with this type of allegation? I think the answer is — I know the answer is no.

“And the reason for that,” he added, “is it’s just very hard to know what the actual impact on any particular game was of an alleged violation.”

Boston’s manager, John Farrell, said he was aware that the players were trying to steal signs but said that he did not know they were using electronics.

“I’m aware of the rule,” Mr. Farrell said. “Electronic devices are not to be used in the dugout. Beyond that, all I can say is it’s a league matter at this point.”

Stealing signs is believed to be most effective when there is a runner on second base who can watch what hand signals the catcher is using to communicate with the pitcher and then relay to the batter any clues about what type of pitch may be coming. Such tactics are allowed as long as teams do not use any methods beyond their eyes. Binoculars and electronic devices are both prohibited as a means of communication.

In recent years, as cameras have proliferated in major-league ballparks, teams have begun using the abundance of video to help them discern opponents’ signs. Some clubs have had clubhouse attendants quickly relay information to the dugout from the personnel monitoring video feeds.

The information has to be rushed to the dugout on foot so it can be passed to the runner while he is still on second base. The Red Sox seemed to shorten this communications chain — and more quickly get the information to the runner on second and the hitter at the plate — by sending information electronically to team members in the dugout.

The Red Sox told league investigators that team personnel scanning instant-replay video were sending the pitch signs electronically to the trainers, who then passed the information to players.

As part of the inquiry, baseball investigators have interviewed the Red Sox team trainers and outfielder Chris Young, a former Yankees player. The Red Sox told league investigators that Mr. Farrell; Boston’s president, Dave Dombrowski; and other front-office officials were not aware of the sign-stealing operation, the people said.

Photo

Yankees pitcher Sonny Gray pitching in the first inning against the Red Sox on Aug. 20. The Red Sox won that game, 5-1. Credit Adam Glanzman/Getty Images
In the first game of the series in question, the first time the Red Sox got a runner on second was in the second inning. Rafael Devers promptly hit a home run, giving the Red Sox a 2-0 lead. The Red Sox went 5 for 8 in the first game when they had a man on second.

Their success when they had a runner on second in the other two games was mixed: 1 for 6 in the second contest and 3 for 10 in the third.

The video provided to the commissioner’s office by the Yankees was captured during the first two games of the series and included at least three clips. In the clips, the Red Sox assistant athletic trainer, Jon Jochim, is seen looking at his Apple Watch and then passing information to outfielder Brock Holt and second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was injured at the time but in uniform. In one instance, Pedroia is then seen passing the information to Young.

The Red Sox’s tactics will add to the longstanding rivalry with the Yankees, who closely trail them in the standings.

Mr. Manfred is in a difficult position as he decides how to discipline the team and whether to continue investigating to try to determine if the Red Sox violated rules in other games this season and whether Farrell and other team personnel did know about the scheme.

A decade ago, the N.F.L. commissioner, Roger Goodell, hastily took away a first-round draft pick and fined the Patriots and their coach, Bill Belichick, before conducting a thorough investigation. When more evidence of cheating later emerged, Goodell was accused of trying to minimize the damage and protect one of the sport’s premier franchises. Congress eventually got involved.

In baseball, the most infamous incident involving sign stealing played out in 1951, when the New York Giants overcame a 13.5-game deficit over the final two months of the season to catch the Brooklyn Dodgers. The Giants went on to beat the Dodgers in a playoff for the pennant.

Fifty years later, The Wall Street Journal revealed that the Giants had spies at the Polo Grounds who used a telescope to steal signs from the opposing catcher, which were then relayed to Giants players from a backup player in the bullpen.

In 1997, teams accused the Mets of planting small cameras near home plate in Shea Stadium to spy on catchers. The Mets denied that they had used the cameras to try to steal signs, and the league did not take any action.

More recently, the Philadelphia Phillies faced sign-stealing accusations in 2011. Several teams logged complaints with the commissioner’s office that the team used binoculars and other unauthorized methods to steal signs. Major League Baseball never imposed sanctions on the Phillies.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Cheating is kind of a thing among sports teams in your neck of the woods, huh?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I think you got her confused with ChefLinda.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I think you got her confused with ChefLinda.

Sure did.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

*gasp* I could never root for a team from Boston.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

One of a few reasons I'm embarrassed for my oversight in paying attention.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I think his neck of the woods is where teams whine about perceived tampering by big-market teams.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I think his neck of the woods is where teams whine about perceived tampering by big-market teams.

I think BF is a she, but that's for BF to determine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject:

Oh sigh, signs are stolen. Part of your job, then, is to mask the signs and make it difficult for the other team to figure out what you are relaying with those signs.

BFD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject:

people still interested in baseball?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I think BF is a she, but that's for BF to determine.

Yes I'm a she
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject:

Is there some kind of Boston culture to cheating?

Spygate

Deflategate (which is part makeup for not going ape on the pats the first time)

Now electronic cheating by the Red sox - this after getting called out for racism earlier in the year.

Wow.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Now we wait for the Celtics to get caught in a scandal
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: