Lakers fined $500K for tampering with Paul George (pg 30)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This was absolutely, and just my opinion, a move to save face for the small market teams that may be losing LBJ/PG13. Cavs without LBJ will face another long rebuild; OKC may lose both WB/PG13.

I agree. The bottom line for me is that it would be naiive to think what Pelinka did doesn't happen on a daily basis. The lesson learned here is that you don't showboat and gloat in everyone's face like Magic and Pelinka did. That rightfully pissed the pacers off. TBD on if Magic and Pelinka learned the lesson.

I am sure that stuff like that does happen, others don't get caught.

But they could get caught if someone created a fuss. It's like yinoma said, big markets are under bigger scrutiny. No one raises their hand when it's a small market, they are a pack protecting their kind.

All it takes is someone filing a request with the league and I would put money on evidence on every team. Whether the NBA lets it out or not is another story.

Just the nature of it, teams like the lakers or Knicks will always have a target on them because the small markets perceive that they have an advantage in FA despite the NBA trying its best to provide incentive for players to remain in their markets.

The Pacers weren't filing charges until Magic's TV comments. That reportedly was the tipping point. The league wasn't after the Lakers. It was the warning before Pelinka's conversation that resulted in the large fine.

Right, it was the tipping point. The pacers got pissed off after the Magic TV segment and decided to file charges. The league has no choice but to look into it no matter which teams are involved.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
NBA GM: "Tampering is what the league is built on"

https://twitter.com/slamonline/status/905150066511503361

Tampering rules should just be done away with. The whole thing is so fake.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

That's how I feel about it at this point. Hard to prove, yet all teams likely do it.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Magic asked Jeanie to pay the $500K fine out of his salary. Nice, leadership move there.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-tampering-magic-johnson-jeanie-buss-20170905-story.html

Wow. Good for you Magic! I like how he took full ownership and said that it was under his watch.

Beautiful.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Great job, Magic. Its a power move in my opinion. Takes the focus off the organization and taking responsibility. I like this move by Magic.

levon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Magic asked Jeanie to pay the $500K fine out of his salary. Nice, leadership move there.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-tampering-magic-johnson-jeanie-buss-20170905-story.html

Wow. Good for you Magic! I like how he took full ownership and said that it was under his watch.

Beautiful.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Nice gesture by Magic for sure.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
NBA GM: "Tampering is what the league is built on"

https://twitter.com/slamonline/status/905150066511503361

And that GM? Andy Elisburg
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah. I've been critical of Magic, and yes, the wink seen round the world was on him, but, that is a real leadership move you rarely see from the folks on the top.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I found video of Pelinka's unauthorized expression of interest

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP51fePBPw
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Love how there's been numerous articles/quotes that have come out where people in the league are reinforcing how normative tampering is. Pursuing this has almost seemed to backfire on Indiana and is making their FO look extremely petty. They should've known the jig was up when the loudest media voice they had in their corner was.....Peter Vecsey Come on.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

How did the NBA know that Rob's conversation with Mintz was about PG, as opposed to JR or DLo ? Was there a smoking gun text ?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Very cool move by Magic. He gets the magnitude of the situation and I'm sure he knows this can't happen again.

Otoh, screw Herb Simon, what a clown.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Kimmel's punk ass should be paying the tab for this (bleep) up...weasely turd.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Funny thing is all this may have been for not if LeBron and Westbrook are the ones to come to LA.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
How did the NBA know that Rob's conversation with Mintz was about PG, as opposed to JR or DLo ? Was there a smoking gun text ?

IMO, no. I think that if there was a smoking gun text, the league would have come down hard with a punishment that would have actually hurt (lost draft picks, maybe a ban on signing PG). They probably offered the fine as a "settlement" to push past it, and the Lakers accepted since they no doubt actually were tampering and wanted it over with too.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

IMO, no. I think that if there was a smoking gun text, the league would have come down hard with a punishment that would have actually hurt (lost draft picks, maybe a ban on signing PG). They probably offered the fine as a "settlement" to push past it, and the Lakers accepted since they no doubt actually were tampering and wanted it over with too.

What you're saying is very plausible. The Lakers could've fought through this and won because the NBA had no evidence. But the Lakers knew they were guilty and decided to take the 500K hit to prevent any bad blood with the league office ( I don't know if Silver is as vindictive or vengefuls is as Stern).
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This was absolutely, and just my opinion, a move to save face for the small market teams that may be losing LBJ/PG13. Cavs without LBJ will face another long rebuild; OKC may lose both WB/PG13.

I agree. The bottom line for me is that it would be naiive to think what Pelinka did doesn't happen on a daily basis. The lesson learned here is that you don't showboat and gloat in everyone's face like Magic and Pelinka did. That rightfully pissed the pacers off. TBD on if Magic and Pelinka learned the lesson.

How many times in private did these owners say, "them Hollywood [insert expletive/pejorative/racial terminology]..."

Actual quote in private:

Their salsa is made in Los Angeleez! Get a rope.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am sure that stuff like that does happen, others don't get caught.

Alright, you're not being high and mighty about it, just advising to make sure they stay under the radar. I'll roll with that. I don't want them to be defanged or walking on eggshells because of this. I want them to stay aggressive. Don't want them to do stupid things, but that goes without saying (no one wants that from their FO). We just ran into one of the maybe 2-3 tightasses who'd actually go as far as Simon did, and he may not have even done it if his return was better than Oladipo. This situation feels flukey no matter how you slice it. I'm sure the Lakers being the offending FO didn't make him too happy either. Other FOs probably laughed at our misfortune of being "the one". As I said in my prior post, maybe Pelinka and Magic are only green in the sense that they might be under the optimistic assumption that they're likable, and thus, everyone likes them. Not so. Orlando threatened the great Jerry West with tampering claims in 96 after an honest fight for Shaq's affections. West won him over per Shaq by reading the situation better and showing Shaq love and ganas while Orlando offered him less than LA on their first at-bat. While other FOs professed respect for Jerry West and Dr. Buss, they hated them just the same. We had teams that refused to trade with them on principle back then and we still do now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Love how there's been numerous articles/quotes that have come out where people in the league are reinforcing how normative tampering is. Pursuing this has almost seemed to backfire on Indiana and is making their FO look extremely petty. They should've known the jig was up when the loudest media voice they had in their corner was.....Peter Vecsey Come on.

Saw him on Twitter sniping at a Laker fan with, "Oh, so everyone does the mambo, Alice?" A Honeymooner's reference that maybe 1% of those on Twitter would even recognize and I only know it because Steve Buscemi referred to the same episode in The Sopranos. That made me chuckle at how old and out of touch he was acting. He reminded me of Phil's old codger pal Charley Rosen when he would do something like talk about how good a Laker Whitey Skoog was on the MPLS teams. Pete was riding that story like his ascendance on TV/print depended on being right. He gloated on the first day about having broken it while no other media outlet could confirm it. He seemed personally affected by it for some bizarre reason, calling Pelinka "palooka" (another old fart/Tarantino diss) and calling Magic's opening months with the Lakers into question (as opposed to the success we were having in the final months of Jimbo/Mitch).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Yeah, I agree. If there was proof like an email or text, the punishment would have been more severe.

But tjere was clearly plenty of smoke. I remember a lot of Laker fans even discussing tampering before news of the investigation wemt public.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I've been vocal in my anti-Magic sentiment, so only fair - I like this move by Magic. Own it, move on.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

What you're saying is very plausible. The Lakers could've fought through this and won because the NBA had no evidence. But the Lakers knew they were guilty and decided to take the 500K hit to prevent any bad blood with the league office ( I don't know if Silver is as vindictive or vengefuls is as Stern).

You don't know if the NBA had evidence or not.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/nbcsports/status/905456902338949120

I'm sure Herb is happy to see all the sentiment about tampering. This was nothing more than an incompetent owner crying. What goes around, comes around Herb.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I'm sure Herb is happy to see all the sentiment about tampering. This was nothing more than an incompetent owner crying. What goes around, comes around Herb.

It is more, it is a second strike for Magic and a first for Pelinka. If there is a next time, the penalty will be worse. I doubt that the NBA office likes our FO ignoring their warnings. Magic said things will change and as fans we have to hope he is right. I don't care about fines but if they start taking picks, that hurts.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

It is more, it is a second strike for Magic and a first for Pelinka. If there is a next time, the penalty will be worse. I doubt that the NBA office likes our FO ignoring their warnings. Magic said things will change and as fans we have to hope he is right. I don't care about fines but if they start taking picks, that hurts.

Everyone tampers. Anyone can cry foul on anyone else. Seems like most outside of a couple of small market mafia incompetent members are not too happy with the pacers little tattle tale. Until the NBA seriously enforces tampering, it's just normal business operating procedure.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 42 of 44
Jump to: