Lakers fined $500K for tampering with Paul George (pg 30)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
You don't know if the NBA had evidence or not.

It seems pretty clear to me that the NBA had evidence. We don't know the nature of the evidence, but the Lakers are not denying that Pelinka made an improper contact. As I understand it, the key is that there was an improper contact and not an actual agreement or understanding.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It seems pretty clear to me that the NBA had evidence. We don't know the nature of the evidence, but the Lakers are not denying that Pelinka made an improper contact. As I understand it, the key is that there was an improper contact and not an actual agreement or understanding.

Definitely think it was a saved snap chat between the two.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Agreed, I doubt that the Lakers accepted the penalty just because they are good guys. It was good to hear Magic say that they will fix things. Adding an experienced NBA executive to work with them would be a good way to start.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Pelinka confessed it to his pastor who was subpoenaed by the NBA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think that would have brought a stronger fine. My guess is that the evidence came up in interviews.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think that would have brought a stronger fine. My guess is that the evidence came up in interviews.

People like the agent or Rob are questioned, and they answered truthfully? Could be.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

People like the agent or Rob are questioned, and they answered truthfully? Could be.

I think this is what happened. I actually think it was Mintz who responded truthfully when questioned- why would he stick his neck out? Pelinka did not deny it and the issue was resolved.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Pacers release statement from Herb Simon saying that they aren't suing the NBA/Lakers.

Then they try to sell to their fanbase, how amazing Oladipo/Sabonis was for PG13.

Clearly part of the motivation was the piss poor and downright ugly return they got on the PG13 trade. OKC salary dumped on them.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Pacers release statement from Herb Simon saying that they aren't suing the NBA/Lakers.

Then they try to sell to their fanbase, how amazing Oladipo/Sabonis was for PG13.

Clearly part of the motivation was the piss poor and downright ugly return they got on the PG13 trade. OKC salary dumped on them.

Goodbye Pacers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I mean I agree that the Lakers likely tampered, and that's why they admitted and owned up to the charges.

But the pettiness of the Pacers is another separate topic. Was listening to Howard Beck and Zach Lowe's podcasts and they agree that it was pretty petty for a team to file tampering charges against another team. But it happened and it's officially over with.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJEJXIPVAAAVo9G.jpg:large

Hey, I guess Herb wasn't such a bad guy after all.
It comes back down to the real *******, Peter V.
I appreciate what the Pacers have said.

Now if we can only do something about Peter and his hack jobs.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I mean I agree that the Lakers likely tampered, and that's why they admitted and owned up to the charges.

But the pettiness of the Pacers is another separate topic. Was listening to Howard Beck and Zach Lowe's podcasts and they agree that it was pretty petty for a team to file tampering charges against another team. But it happened and it's officially over with.

Let it go. The basketball media is milking this for all it's worth because we're in the dead zone of the calendar. They're just stirring the pot (to mix metaphors). If the situation was reversed, you would want your team to raise hell. This may be hard for Lakers fans to imagine, because we are the prestige team. Those of us who are also fans of non-prestige teams (in my case, the Astros) will have no trouble imagining what it would be like.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Let it go. The basketball media is milking this for all it's worth because we're in the dead zone of the calendar. They're just stirring the pot (to mix metaphors). If the situation was reversed, you would want your team to raise hell. This may be hard for Lakers fans to imagine, because we are the prestige team. Those of us who are also fans of non-prestige teams (in my case, the Astros) will have no trouble imagining what it would be like.

if the lakers were in the same scenario. EXACT same situation as their star player wanted to go back home to say??? New york. and he made it public thru his agent or others around him, that was his intentions. As a laker fan I would thank him for letting us know early so we could deal him before he became a FA and not waste our time trying to keep a guy around that aint staying while losing out on other FA's and possible trades in the process.

This aint Indiana you're talking about. This is Los Angeles. We dont cry like that.

It's been a theme for a few years now. the crybabies are small market owners.

They all cried about the gasol + kwame for gasol trade. Spurs cried the hardest. They cried about the cp3 deal and the money we were going to save knowing we would still pick up dwight and have cash in the bank.(dan gilbert, Cuban, and jordan.)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
if the lakers were in the same scenario. EXACT same situation as their star player wanted to go back home to say??? New york. and he made it public thru his agent or others around him, that was his intentions. As a laker fan I would thank him for letting us know early so we could deal him before he became a FA and not waste our time trying to keep a guy around that aint staying while losing out on other FA's and possible trades in the process.

This aint Indiana you're talking about. This is Los Angeles. We dont cry like that.

As I said, Lakers fans will have trouble imagining the situation in reverse. You just proposed a scenario that involves no tampering. If Riley had persuaded Kobe to join Lebron and Wade in Miami (or something like that), folks here would be singing a different tune. But it's hard to imagine something like that actually happening.
kobeslaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

As I said, Lakers fans will have trouble imagining the situation in reverse. You just proposed a scenario that involves no tampering. If Riley had persuaded Kobe to join Lebron and Wade in Miami (or something like that), folks here would be singing a different tune. But it's hard to imagine something like that actually happening.

If Lakers gave a player big stage and pay him big money and he still want to join other team, then we will say "go, and don't f**king comeback."
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Nice move by Magic to pony up the $500K. Owns up to his mistake. Turns a negative into a positive. That's good leadership.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

This just heightens scrutiny on any LeBron talks with Rich Paul. You think Dan Gilbert will go quietly into that good night? It was stupid to give yourself another strike. It wouldn't surprise me if Gilbert hasn't already hired investigators to watch the moves of Lebrons team. We really didn't need the second strike.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The best news we could get was Pelinka made improper contact. Now we know for sure that we have been in close contact with pg13 this whole time and our moves have been probabaly based on that improper meeting.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
How did the NBA know that Rob's conversation with Mintz was about PG, as opposed to JR or DLo ? Was there a smoking gun text ?

IMO, no. I think that if there was a smoking gun text, the league would have come down hard with a punishment that would have actually hurt (lost draft picks, maybe a ban on signing PG). They probably offered the fine as a "settlement" to push past it, and the Lakers accepted since they no doubt actually were tampering and wanted it over with too.

What you're saying is very plausible. The Lakers could've fought through this and won because the NBA had no evidence. But the Lakers knew they were guilty and decided to take the 500K hit to prevent any bad blood with the league office ( I don't know if Silver is as vindictive or vengefuls is as Stern).

I thought it was strange that there was no specific evidence mentioned in the media reports, but what both of you guys are saying makes sense.

Thanks for saving me 40 pages of trying to catch up on this thread to find evidence that didn't exist. Lakers copped a plea in return for fine and probation.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Executives Around League Critical Of Pacers Owner Herb Simon For Tampering Accusations

Quote:
One called it “bush league.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-executives-around-league-critical-of-pacers-owner-herb-simon-for-tampering-accusations/2017/09/05/
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Nice move by Magic to pony up the $500K. Owns up to his mistake. Turns a negative into a positive. That's good leadership.

It is, gives me confidence in his role as a GM. This offseason as whole has given hope, and to be honest there hasn't been much hope since Kobe snapped his Achilles.

Sure, last year there was hope we wouldn't be bad, but this year there is hope we may actually be good
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

It is, gives me confidence in his role as a GM. This offseason as whole has given hope, and to be honest there hasn't been much hope since Kobe snapped his Achilles.

Sure, last year there was hope we wouldn't be bad, but this year there is hope we may actually be good

Hope is a beautiful thing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
This just heightens scrutiny on any LeBron talks with Rich Paul. You think Dan Gilbert will go quietly into that good night? It was stupid to give yourself another strike. It wouldn't surprise me if Gilbert hasn't already hired investigators to watch the moves of Lebrons team. We really didn't need the second strike.

Absolutely. A nice preemptive move to make the Lakers sweat getting 2 FAs. Only way to put obstacles in the way of FA is a tampering charge and getting the NBA to ban a team from signing a FA.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

could've gotten kyrie instead... oops
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Judah wrote:
Love how there's been numerous articles/quotes that have come out where people in the league are reinforcing how normative tampering is. Pursuing this has almost seemed to backfire on Indiana and is making their FO look extremely petty. They should've known the jig was up when the loudest media voice they had in their corner was.....Peter Vecsey Come on.

Saw him on Twitter sniping at a Laker fan with, "Oh, so everyone does the mambo, Alice?" A Honeymooner's reference that maybe 1% of those on Twitter would even recognize and I only know it because Steve Buscemi referred to the same episode in The Sopranos. That made me chuckle at how old and out of touch he was acting. He reminded me of Phil's old codger pal Charley Rosen when he would do something like talk about how good a Laker Whitey Skoog was on the MPLS teams. Pete was riding that story like his ascendance on TV/print depended on being right. He gloated on the first day about having broken it while no other media outlet could confirm it. He seemed personally affected by it for some bizarre reason, calling Pelinka "palooka" (another old fart/Tarantino diss) and calling Magic's opening months with the Lakers into question (as opposed to the success we were having in the final months of Jimbo/Mitch).

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa NPZ! If you think I'm going to just sit here and let you slander fellow Minnesota native Whitey Skoog and an early jump shot pioneer, we might just have to meet in Temecula. (where, of course, we'll just watch a bunch of DVDs from the 1980s, but, still).

I enjoy Peter's old writings and prickly personality more than probably, oh, 99 percent of general population and LG. He has some absolutely amazing tales from his early days, when as a teen he watched Connie Hawkins and Roger Brown duel as high schoolers at Madison Square Garden. Dude was a Green Beret. Then he was a player and coach at Rucker and hooked up with Dr. J. Was an early guy to recognize the Doc's greatness.

And he really was Woj before Woj when it came to scoops. Incredibly well-sourced. And many of his one-liners back in the day, not afraid to say, made me chuckle and still do. Plus, I'll say it: I thought he was pretty good on TV.

I had the chance to interview him few years ago and he was awesome to talk with, because of those experiences and just his general opinionated nature.

The negative aspects of his career are well-documented and the one-liners that he delivers on Twitter now fall flat for the most part (some still do get me, though). But a certain bitterness has definitely set in, as is inevitable perhaps, with someone with that personality, which maybe drove him in his prime but now just devolves into anger and (even more) pettiness. The personal stake he seemed to put in the tampering stuff did come off as borderline-bizarre. I mean, he broke the story. For a 70-plus-old dude, retired, that's amazing and shows his sources are still there. Enjoy that. But the crusade it turned into on Twitter was ridiculous. It was, in a small way, similar to his rambling, odd Hall of Fame speech.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 43 of 44
Jump to: