My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

Yes. Another one of my, no, I don't actually have this much time to spare to think about these things, but my mind wandered so I decided to make a Lakers history list. This time, my favorite spoken words in Lakers history. Could be a broadcaster, a coach, a player. On a telecast, at a parade, or in a huddle.

10. "Worthy." Lawrence Tanter's simple -- you can't get any simpler -- line whenever Big Game dropped in two points after a sweet spin move or a straight-arm dunk. Some feel LT's time has passed and the Lakers need someone more exciting and a bigger screamer -- some do, I don't -- but in the '80s, his efficient and sweet-voiced way of saying "Worthy" was one of my favorite things to hear.

9. "Forget Shaq." Phil Jackson's message to the Lakers in the huddle during the 2nd half of Game 7 of the 2000 WCF. We all remember how AWFUL the offense was that game. Yuck. And yet, with the season slipping away, when a normal coach might insist on pounding it into their MVP, Phil said to forget him, take your shot. Shaw and the boys started doing that. I don't know if it had any real impact on the outcome, but I think it does show that Phil's overall, well, Zen-iness, did wear off on those Laker teams. Of those 5 titles, how many times was there a crucial fourth quarter? Game 7 of 2000, Game 4 of 2000 Finals, Game 4 in 02 vs. Kings, 4th and OT of Game 7 vs. Kings, Game 7 in 2010 vs. Celtics. And the Lakers just had a cool vibe that carried them and I do think Phil deserves credit.

9. "Ford, sends it to Kareem. Skyhook up and good. Lakers win. Score it. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has given the Los Angeles Lakers a victory and Magic Johnson is out there celebrating like they just won the NCAA Championship." Brent Musburger calls Kareem's skyhook against the Clippers in Magic's first game and Magic's subsequent INSANE celebration. Completely over the top, borderline obnoxious, but totally Magic. Also set the stage for one of Kareem's great lines when he famously told Magic to chill a bit because they have 81 more games left.

8. "Bryant with the save. Final seconds, Bryant for the win....baaaang!" The most bittersweet entry because Kobe's great shot to beat the Suns in Game 4 of the 2006 playoffs, accompanied by Mike Breen's call, ultimately led to....uh, nothing. Heartbreak. Torment. WHY COULDN'T THEY GRAB A DEFENSIVE REBOUND?! But still, this is one of Kobe's great moments, and even though Breen's not an all-time fave of mine, this was a great call.

7. "It's over and the Most Valuable Player is Magic Johnson. 42 points, 15 rebounds and 7 assists. He starts at center, plays forward and guard and leads the Los Angeles Lakers to a World Championship. 123-107 over Philadelphia, without Kareem Abdul-Jabbar." Musburger pretty much sums it up. This clip always plays with that highlight of Magic celebrating after the buzzer went off. What's not usually played is a few seconds later when Musburger said the Lakers had already announced a victory rally. For the next day. In The Forum's parking lot. Victory parades have changed over the years.

6. "Portland has three timeouts left, the Lakers have 2. Bryant...to SHAQ!" Bob Costas calling Kobe's lob to Shaq that gave the Lakers a six-point lead in Game 7 of the 2000 WCF. A play that just perfectly symbolizes the Kobe-Shaq partnership. So many what-ifs and how-could-they-mess-that-up, but when those two were in sync....unstoppable. And that play capped an improbable comeback and set the stage, not just for a victory, but a three-peat. Kobe breaks down Pippen -- only the best perimeter defender, maybe ever -- and tosses a perfect pass. And how high did Shaq leap? And the whole time Costas' voice is rising at the same time Shaq's going higher and higher.

5. "On the eve of his very first game, I would not impose upon any rookie in all of professional sports to talk to you. But i want you to know that this man has a smile that lights up a television screen from here to Bangor, Maine. His name is Magic Johnson and Magic it's a delight to have you aboard in the NBA." Brent Musburger, interviewing Magic prior to his NBA debut, with a BEAMING Magic standing next to him. It was the smile he'd carry with him throughout his career, and even that interview shows what Magic was going to mean to the league. People knew he was different, that he was special. And then somehow he exceeded the hype. And it started with Brent's welcome.

4. "It's in to Kareem, Kareem swing left, right hand twelve footer good!" I have no idea how many times Chick Hearn said a variation of swing left, shoot right. Thousands. This particular one came on his hook shot that broke the NBA career scoring mark against the Jazz. It had to be on a hook shot. And it had to be Chick calling it with one of his patented lines.

3. "...And I'm guaranteeing everybody here, next year we're going to win it again." Riley at 1987 victory parade. Awesome. Today guarantees are meaningless. I think Patrick Ewing just again guaranteed they'll beat the Bulls in 1993, but it was much rarer back then. And people were holding Riley to it. Some of the players were mad at him because of the pressure it placed on them, but it did help drive them. Repeats became almost common after that, but it had been 19 years. Until Riley guaranteed it.

2. "Bryant putting the move on Christie. Rebound O'Neal, coming up short. Horry for the win. Yes! And the Lakers have somehow defeated the Sacramento Kings on a three pointer by Robert Horry." Marv Albert narrating Horry's shot in Game 4 of the 2002 WCF. One of the great shots in NBA history, called by probably the second-best play-by-play man in NBA history who got to use his signature word. Yes!

1."To the left goes Magic. He's got it. He didn't shoot it. Five seconds left. Magic down the middle, just what I thought, a hook shot at 12. Gooood. Two seconds left. The Lakers take the lead on Magic's running skyhook." Chick. Magic. Hook shot. Celtics lose. Lakers win. Such an amazing call. Who else, in the middle of this moment, in the NBA Finals, would have the skill and downright brass ones to utter a parenthetical in the middle of it? And the arrogance to point out how you were right. "Just what I thought." Just what he thought! As Magic's dribbling to the middle, Chick interrupts the play-by-play to toss that in. Amazing.

All right. I know zero people might respond to this and I just wasted 35 minutes I'll never get back in my life but still glad I got it down on paper. Anyone have any others? Aside, of course, from Byron's "Man up."

Last edited by spflakers on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

"Buckle up for Kobe Bryant! Kobe Bryant just sucked the gravity out of the target center! What a play!"
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Bang!

Ok thats not Lakers specific, but I love it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Bang!

Ok thats not Lakers specific, but I love it.

spflakers wrote:

8. "Bryant with the save. Final seconds, Bryant for the win....baaaang!" The most bittersweet entry because Kobe's great shot to beat the Suns in Game 4 of the 2006 playoffs, accompanied by Mike Breen's call, ultimately led to....uh, nothing. Heartbreak. Torment. WHY COULDN'T THEY GRAB AN OFFENSIVE REBOUND?! But still, this is one of Kobe's great moments, and even though Breen's not an all-time fave of mine, this was a great call.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

spflakers wrote:

10. "Worthy." Lawrence Tanter's simple -- you can't get any simpler -- line whenever Big Game dropped in two points after a sweet spin move or a straight-arm dunk. Some feel LT's time has passed and the Lakers need someone more exciting and a bigger screamer -- some do, I don't -- but in the '80s, his efficient and sweet-voiced way of saying "Worthy" was one of my favorite things to hear.

Wait, do some people really feel this way?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

For Laker related, there's always this...

"Baa baaa baaa baa baa baa baa baaaa babababa baaaba abaab baa!"

spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

VegasLakerFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

There was thread few years ago saying LT's time had come and gone. (Obviously there are LG threads suggesting a bit of everything, so it's not like it's a widespread belief, but there are definitely some folks who would like a more modern PA dude).

Seeing the Harlan one, yeah, he's had some classics with Kobe.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

VegasLakerFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

IMO, LT is pretty boring.
Again, my opinion. I'm sure most disagree.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

"I love Basketball!" Metta World Peace
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Great list. Your top four are the ones I was thinking of, too. I'd have Chick putting the game in the Fridge, too. Probably in my top three.

To go with LT's Woooorthhhhy call, I might add Chick calling a no look pass to Worthy, then we hear LT's Worthy call after one of his dunks.

I might also put Artest's "acknowledge me!" championship press conference in my list, too.

And there's also something nostalgic about the KCAL 9 opening Chick welcoming you with his 17,505 at the Forum comment.
boxesofboxes
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject:

marv albert, 2002 finals

"the Los Angeles Lakers have made it three... straight... N-B-A championships"

Something about the cadence of that line is so pleasant
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject:

Good stuff SPF - definitely NOT 35 minutes wasted! Got to relive every moment reading through that list. I can still hear Chick's voice on a few of these.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

spflakers wrote:

1."To the left goes Magic. He's got it. He didn't shoot it. Five seconds left. Magic down the middle, just what I thought, a hook shot at 12. Gooood. Two seconds left. The Lakers take the lead on Magic's running skyhook." Chick. Magic. Hook shot. Celtics lose. Lakers win. Such an amazing call. Who else, in the middle of this moment, in the NBA Finals, would have the skill and downright brass ones to utter a parenthetical in the middle of it? And the arrogance to point out how you were right. "Just what I thought." Just what he thought! As Magic's dribbling to the middle, Chick interrupts the play-by-play to toss that in. Amazing.

Great list, brought back so many fond memories.

In regard to your #1 above, every time I hear this game call from Chick it still gives me chills as it was classic Chick for the reasons you say. I loved the "just what I thought" line as he did it so smoothly and quickly (as he was Chick Friggen Hearn) that it was just typically bad ass.

Chick to me might be the greatest Laker, he is right up there in the pantheon for sure with Magic, Kobe, West, Kareem, Dr. Jerry Buss.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

One of my faves is: Hi Stu. Hi Lantz.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
One of my faves is: Hi Stu. Hi Lantz.

Number 8,678th on my list. "Kobe Bryant says, 'Here, Pau. Here's a nifty pass. Do what you do.' And Pau says, 'Thanks, Kobe. I'll dunk it over Jermaine O'Neal.' And Lakers fans say, that's two points, on the Lakers championship network."

Chick fridge....dang, that should probably be on my list. And yeah Artest presser was all-timer.

Another sort of Evergreen Chick call that is a fave: "How did he see him?" after a Magic dish.
KobeDGreatesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
"Buckle up for Kobe Bryant! Kobe Bryant just sucked the gravity out of the target center! What a play!"
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Chick welcoming everybody to a game... "The world champion Los Angeles Lakers are on the air!" after the intro music and before the sponsorship logos come on.

Chick calling NVE's 3 pointer against the celtics in I believe the last Lakers regular season game at the Boston Garden... "It went, it went, it went!"
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

NOOOOOOOOO! I don't want some damn fool LA BAAAAAAASKETBAALLLLLL idiot yelling all the time. LT is cool, he is laid back and he is LA.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Great post spf! Much appreciated. I could so clearly visualize each one as i read them. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I'm sure I'll think of one to add later.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Spero Dedes made an amazing call on one of Kobe's game winners against Memphis (I think). It went something like this: "Kobe Bryant! The basketball maestro, has just left the crowd with a jaw dropper!"

I can't find the original transcript so my memory will have to suffice.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

"Slam Dunk" circa 1972 , Chick Hearn
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
"I love Basketball!" Metta World Peace

All Things Chick

I'm on #TeamTanter
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

"CAN YOU DIG IT!!, ....CAN YOU DIG IT!!" ....SHAQ
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

spflakers wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

There was thread few years ago saying LT's time had come and gone. (Obviously there are LG threads suggesting a bit of everything, so it's not like it's a widespread belief, but there are definitely some folks who would like a more modern PA dude).

Good point. I either missed that thread or I'm such a space cadet that I just forgot about it.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Top 10 favorite Laker sayings, utterances & broadcast comments

epak wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
spflakers wrote:

IMO, LT is pretty boring.
Again, my opinion. I'm sure most disagree.

Not tryna kick up any dust, my Laker brother. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. I think I just so closely associate LT's voice with gold home unis that it didn't occur to me that anyone would want to change that.

FWIW I still really can't imagine the Lakers with a screamer on the PA mic. The Rams have one and it's pretty embarrassing at times. "Hey, we're losing to Atlanta 42-7 but we just got a first down against their second-string so it's time to RIIIIIISE WITH THE RAAAAAAAMMMMMMSSSSS!!!" <silence>
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: