Why wasn't there the same sense of "boredom" during the Bulls dynasty?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Why wasn't there the same sense of "boredom" during the Bulls dynasty?

The Chicago dominance was far greater and longer than the Warriors has been so far.. Why wasn't there the same narrative of boredom and inevitability during their dynasty? All I hear about is how we might as well cancel and award the next what? 3 to as many as 6-7 championships to the Warriors.. Whereas when Jordan ruled the league it truly was dominance on that type of level .. but there wasn't the same narrative of basically giving up and being bored with it.. every year the Knicks, Pacers, Magic, Jazz, Bullets etc.. were at least given a halfway decent chance at winning a series with Chicago

Why is there the narrative of boredom and basically giving up to the Warriors now?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, I think this is the first time a team has 2 MVPs, a DPOY and arguably the best SG and the best 6th man all in the same team, all in their prime. Lakers however should think to compete and not simply waive the white flag
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Social media is more prominent than ever before. This makes it easier to spread messages and convey thoughts that others quickly understand and further spread.

People also better understand player movement and salary cap limitations. This makes changes to team dynamics and capabilities much more difficult than in the 90s. So it's easy to foresee multiple years ahead instead of maybe just one season of dominance.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

The Bulls situation was different, and people aren't as bored by the Warriors as you think.

1. The Bulls didn't have one long stretch. It was two threepeats, separated by nearly two years when Jordan was playing baseball.

2. When MJ returned, it created a huge wellspring of excitement.

3. The Bulls two threepeat teams were significantly different.

4. The second threepeat ended quickly and unexpectly when MJ retired and the Bulls closed up shop.

5. For whatever reason, people loved MJ in a way they have loved no other basketball player.

6. There is a sense that players and teams today are gaming the system in a way they weren't back in the Bulls day.

7. As someone else noted, the Internet and social media was embryonic in MJ's day. There wasn't the intense scrutiny, nitpicking and fan outrage about everyone you see today.

8. People aren't really bored with the Warriors. The last finals ratings were the highest in 30 years. People love dominant teams; they are just more likely to complain about them, as they are more likely to complain about everything else.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Why wasn't there the same sense of "boredom" during the Bulls dynasty?

Cuz Michael Jordan.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Well, I think this is the first time a team has 2 MVPs, a DPOY and arguably the best SG and the best 6th man all in the same team, all in their prime.

The first time that happened was in the early 60s with the Celtics, except they didn't give out the DPoY and 6th man awards back then. But they checked all the same boxes.

The 83 76ers and Showtime Lakers did too pretty much.

The Warriors aren't the first stacked team in NBA history.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't see what is boring about the Warriors in the slightest.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I don't see what is boring about the Warriors in the slightest.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Why wasn't there the same sense of "boredom" during the Bulls dynasty?

Murdock wrote:
The Chicago dominance was far greater and longer than the Warriors has been so far.. Why wasn't there the same narrative of boredom and inevitability during their dynasty? All I hear about is how we might as well cancel and award the next what? 3 to as many as 6-7 championships to the Warriors.. Whereas when Jordan ruled the league it truly was dominance on that type of level .. but there wasn't the same narrative of basically giving up and being bored with it.. every year the Knicks, Pacers, Magic, Jazz, Bullets etc.. were at least given a halfway decent chance at winning a series with Chicago

Why is there the narrative of boredom and basically giving up to the Warriors now?

Cause they were pushing Michael Jordan as the face of the NBA, so whenever he did well they pushed it to the forefront.

They are currently trying to push LeBron James up to the same stratosphere but there is now a team that stands in his way of winning another championship so they'd rather it be pushed as a 'bad' thing or something for LeBron to try to 'conquer'.

They'd have NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER if LeBron was on such an overpowered team he would be prime to win 5 of the next 6 Championships. They wouldn't say a darn thing about it.

But the Warriors are the team that's not supposed to still be here, they expected the Warriors would be a great team for 2 seasons and then begin to falter off as LeBron continued to get trips to the Finals on the East. When the Warriors got Durant they effectively nearly ended LeBron James run as an NBA Champion. The NBA isn't done pushing him, so obviously they will have a 'problem' with it.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

I feel like it's because MJ was just a much more iconic figure than anyone on the Warriors. It was the same thing with Michael Phelps at the 2008 Olympics: He was the heavy favorite in every race yet people relentlessly cheered him on.

With the Warriors, you basically have two guys who couldn't do it on their own, Durant and Curry (though he did win one on his own), and a couple of second-tier stars in Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. The narrative is just not as interesting.

MJ took down Magic, Drexler, Barkley, Ewing, Miller, Payton, Stockton, and Malone. The Warriors haven't faced equally iconic players and established teams outside of LeBron.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

The eastern conference wasn't garbage back then. Even without the Bulls it was a relatively competitive conference.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Because Patrick Ewing didn't leave the Knicks to join the Bulls.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

The league under stern in the nineties was basically all about MJ and what Washington Generals team would face him bin the finals.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

Because there was actually competition. The Suns and Knicks and a few other teams in that era actually had a legitimate shot at upending the Bulls and make it competitive, even if the Bulls ultimately won. Those Blazers teams and the Sonics were really good.

I don't follow the NBA like I did back in the 1990s, but I think there is a huge drop from the top 1-3 teams in the league to the rest of the pack. There were more higher quality teams back then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The league under stern in the nineties was basically all about MJ and what Washington Generals team would face him bin the finals.

I think the Bulls faced great teams in the finals. Phoenix, Seattle, Utah,... Those guys are anything but Washington generals. I'd say the Washington generals is what we faced in our three peat in the 2000s
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think the Bulls faced great teams in the finals. Phoenix, Seattle, Utah,... Those guys are anything but Washington generals. I'd say the Washington generals is what we faced in our three peat in the 2000s

Man, is that the truth, at least when it came to the Finals.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
and people aren't as bored by the Warriors as you think.

You really could have stopped right there.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
Well, I think this is the first time a team has 2 MVPs, a DPOY and arguably the best SG and the best 6th man all in the same team, all in their prime.

The first time that happened was in the early 60s with the Celtics, except they didn't give out the DPoY and 6th man awards back then. But they checked all the same boxes.

The 83 76ers and Showtime Lakers did too pretty much.

The Warriors aren't the first stacked team in NBA history.

True actually. Guess they're the most stacked superteam since Showtime Lakers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

The Warriors team is better than that Bulls team. Players are grouping up to try to beat them. That leaves the other teams that much worse. I don't think that the Warriors win 6-7 titles, I think that 4-5 is more likely.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Warriors team is better than that Bulls team. Players are grouping up to try to beat them. That leaves the other teams that much worse. I don't think that the Warriors win 6-7 titles, I think that 4-5 is more likely.

I would say the overall depth of talent on the Warriors is deeper than the Bulls. MJ was the best player from both squads, but the dropoff of talent on the Warriors isn't that much which is why they are able to blow out their opponents so easily.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't know about that. Marketplace economics and the CBA are the Warriors' foe. They might not get to 4.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't know about that. Marketplace economics and the CBA are the Warriors' foe. They might not get to 4.

MJ-Pip-Harper vs KD-Steph-Klay (pretty close)

Rodman vs Draymond (close too, Dray can shoot but Rodman can D up big centers solo)

Kukoc vs Iggy (close too, Kukoc can drop game winners, Iggy is a finals MVP)

Center/bench vs Center/bench (decent on both)

I guess depends on the era
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

Exactly. All of a sudden, twenty years have slipped past. The '90s Bulls are not constructed for the current era, and the '17 Warriors are not constructed for the '90s. I'm sure that both teams would do well in any era, but a direct comparison is futile.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah, they got lucky that the big cap jump let them get Durant. But over the next couple of years, Durant, Thompson and Green are all eligible for big raises.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why wasn't there the same sense of "boredom" during the Bulls dynasty?

Murdock wrote:

Speak for yourself(well technically you are) but I was bored. I grew up amongst Bulls Fans in the 90s to say it sucked was an understatement. Especially since I aligned myself with the Pacers instead because I hated Jordan and the Bulls.

I was thrilled when he was suspended er retired the first time.

Even more thrilled that after 1998 he was irrevelant to the championship scene.

I may not care about the Cavs/Warriors either but I will take that over the Bulls anyday.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: