Equifax Hacked - 143M Americans Potentially Affected

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Equifax Hacked - 143M Americans Potentially Affected

This came out yesterday but thought it merited a thread to let others know about it. Equifax was hacked and as many as 50% of Americans could have had their details stolen including SSN, CC numbers, etc.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/credit-reporting-firm-equifax-says-cybersecurity-incident-could-potentially-affect-143-million-us-consumers.html

Messed up part?

i) Three Equifax executives sold shares days after breach was discovered

Ii) Equifax offering free credit monitoring for people who want to keep an eye on things but if you sign up (CC required) they will charge you after a year and you signed away your right to sue outside of arbitration. WTF!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59b2dae8e4b0b5e531062976
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I've been using equifax for years. Uh oh.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I think they had complimentary credit checks for some credit cards...I'm afraid to check if I was affected.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I think they had complimentary credit checks for some credit cards...I'm afraid to check if I was affected.

They have an online tool to check if you were hacked but many sites said it is unreliable.

CNET entered the surname "Test" and last 6 digits of social 123456 and it said it may have been hacked. Lol. http://www.zdnet.com/article/we-tested-equifax-data-breach-checker-it-is-basically-useless/

Many sites I've been reading say to assume you have been hacked and take the proper precautions including freezing your credit.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject:

First Playstation Network, then Target... now the friggin credit companies themselves are getting hacked now.

This is nuts.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Exactly, their "complimentary" credit score updates just exposed everyone's most personal financial data.

This from a company who's business is secure data management.

Not sure how they exist at all after this, how does anyone even take them seriously?

Stock was down 14% on Friday but as Ringfinger pointed out, most of the insider rats had already jumped ship.

Good job EquiFax.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

I love how they protect their proprietary FICO algorithms and data models more tightly than the PII that they collect.
Also from what I read it appears this breach was more due to preventable negligence on Equifax's side using well known methods rather than some new ingenuous attack method nobody saw coming. Being that its their core duty to protect all the information that everybody basically involuntarily hands to them, they should get fined+sued out of existence.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

By the way, if you have concerns,.you should check in to your credit now. The breach happened on July 29, it was just announced a few days ago.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
By the way, if you have concerns,.you should check in to your credit now. The breach happened on July 29, it was just announced a few days ago.

I put a 90 day fraud alert on myself, there are some good threads on reddit personal finance that have further steps.

Supposedly, Equifax offers a way to check if your information has been compromised, but according to some that system is not 100% accurate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: