Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
If Irma spares Florida and totally destroys one, just one well-known property in Palm Beach, then I will start believing there's a god.

never going to happen...that place has 3 feet thick concrete walls, and steel hurricane straps drilled all the way through the foundation down to the coral.....actually surprised the media has not began to try to put pressure on the location to become a shelter....because it is probably the safest place in South Florida.

Donald Trump Got $17 Million Insurance Payout for Damage Few Recall

Donald Trump said he received a $17 million insurance payment in 2005 for hurricane damage to Mar-a-Lago, his private club in Palm Beach, but The Associated Press found little evidence of such large-scale damage.

Two years after a series of storms, the real estate tycoon said he didn't know how much had been spent on repairs but acknowledged he pocketed some of the money. Trump transferred funds into his personal accounts, saying that under the terms of his policy, "you didn't have to reinvest it."

Damn!!! Donald may not know ish about running a country but he knows all the angles on how to bilk unsuspecting contractors, gimmick schools, meats, hotels, the IRS, insurance companies and likes.

I dislike him more and more on a daily basis but still have to give him credit.

DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME.

I'm not one of those people who sees someone continually rip people off and says, "Man, you gotta give him credit . . ." - quite the opposite. You should hate the guy who plays that game.

That's like saying, "You gotta give that Ted Bundy credit, he had that serial killer thing down!"

It was meant metaphorically a colloquialism.

Even metaphorically it doesn't work.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I know there are some people that are hunkering down trying to weather thru the hurricane but that seems a bit crazy to me....considering that the winds can pick up large debris like snapped off trees, cars, metal poles, and even ships and toss them thru a wooden house.

believe it or not, there really are negatives about evacuating. I personally live about 15 miles inland, about half way up the peninsula....so I feel comfortable that the storm will not be strong enough to cause structural failures where I am located, nor do i have to be concerned with storm surge.

That being said, evacuations are problematic for several reasons....for one, where do you go? If you want to avoid the storm, you have to leave Florida, and I am not sure everyone realizes how big Florida is South to North....about 550 miles, and only 2 major highways to take that journey....that 10 hour ride can take 24 hours when millions are evacuating. Then when you consider that many gas stations on that path are running out of fuel, rest areas have lines up to an hour, it becomes a hellish drive. On top of that, once you leave, you do not always control when you can return.....barrier islands and other areas are usually blocked by authorities for anywhere from a day to a week after the storm passes.....which leaves your property as an easy target for looters that stayed behind.

As long as your on high ground, inland, and your structure was built to post Andrew building code.....it may be best to "hunker down".
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

back up to a Cat.5 with 160 mph winds....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

So this (bleep) of a storm took the open water opportunity to feed its energy. Back to a Cat 5.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Yep, the storm surge is the greatest danger. Anyone who is in range of the storm surge needs to get out. Otherwise, evacuating is not a obvious an option as it sounds. You can die in an evacuation. We lost around 100 people during the Rita evacuation, and then Rita missed us. Houston is a lot easier to evacuate than southern Florida, too. In this case, there are going to be people stuck on the highway for whatever reason when Irma rolls through.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

the mind of a teenager.....my daughter has seemed more concerned about Irma than she has about storms in recent years....I asked her if she was worried about being safe, and she informed me that had nothing to do with it.....she is concerned that the cell towers will be destroyed and it will take a long time to repair them.....not sure what she will do without cell service.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Dude, how could she text and share hurricane selfies with her friends?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
the mind of a teenager.....my daughter has seemed more concerned about Irma than she has about storms in recent years....I asked her if she was worried about being safe, and she informed me that had nothing to do with it.....she is concerned that the cell towers will be destroyed and it will take a long time to repair them.....not sure what she will do without cell service.

There could be no cell service for days, oh the humanity. Somebody think of the children.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

As the parent of a teenage daughter I can say there's an interesting phenomenon going on with that generation. Their phones have tied them inexorably to the Information Age, and yet they are completely detached from the ability to actually weigh and prioritize what access truly means.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

There could be no cell service for days, oh the humanity. Somebody think of the children.

I told her mom that I bet within 24 hours of not having electricity (no air conditioner), her priorities will change.....trying to fall asleep while sweating in near 90 degree nighttime weather will do that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yep, the storm surge is the greatest danger. Anyone who is in range of the storm surge needs to get out. Otherwise, evacuating is not a obvious an option as it sounds. You can die in an evacuation. We lost around 100 people during the Rita evacuation, and then Rita missed us. Houston is a lot easier to evacuate than southern Florida, too. In this case, there are going to be people stuck on the highway for whatever reason when Irma rolls through.

Here's the problem with NOT evacuating. The decision to do so put first responders at risk. Sure, you don't want to leave your house during a "mandatory" evacuation and the authorities can't force you to . . . fine. But then come the pleas for help to be rescued when the effects of the storm hit. Not evacuating is a selfish decision that is understandable on one level, but it has implications that place the onus on others to pay the price for that selfish decision.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I didn't get a cell phone until I graduated from college and my parents had to convince me to get one.

And its a flip phone too.

I don't get teenagers these days.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Here's a picture of the I-95 in Florida yesterday late afternoon. They converted all lanes to go North Only:

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I didn't get a cell phone until I graduated from college and my parents had to convince me to get one.

I had a cell phone as a teenager...mid 90's....it was pretty large and my plan had 30 free minutes.....it was for emergencies only and I had to pay any overages....which were like 75 cents a minute! I also had a "beeper"...you know, so the ladies could contact me. I remember my girlfriend had a bag phone in her car....it was like a phone attached to a cinder block.

my daughter and I have a rule....she cannot be engaged on the phone if we are in a conversation....so as soon as she gets in the car, I begin with the questions.....how was Geometry today? What section are you guys studying? Now what period is lunch? Did you see the youtube video with the really fat cat?.....and I do not quit.

Last edited by adkindo on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Here's a picture of the I-95 in Florida yesterday late afternoon. They converted all lanes to go North Only:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJK37TxUwAAurbq.jpg

crazy....contraflow...feel bad for all those cars pulled off to the side of road....hope they were no out of gas.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I had a cell phone as a teenager...mid 90's....it was pretty large and my plan had 30 free minutes.....it was for emergencies only and I had to pay any overages....which were like 75 cents a minute! I also had a "beeper"...you know, so the ladies could contact me. I remember my girlfriend had a bag phone in her car....it was like a phone attached to a cinder block.

my daughter and I have a rule....she cannot be engaged on the phone if we are in a conversation....so as soon as she gets in the car, I begin with the questions.....how was Geometry today? What section are you guys studying? Now what period is lunch? Did you see the youtube video with the really fat cat?.....and I do not quit.

To be fair, the "phone" part is just one function of these devices now. They have more power than computers from several years ago and do just about everything. And those crazy kids don't even talk on the phone anymore they text each other way more often.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

20-25 Construction Cranes hover over Miami....designed to take winds up to 145 MPH! Seems like gusts, especially up that high could be a problem...

Link
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Is there a chance it continues to go even further west, and maybe avoids most of Florida?
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Is there a chance it continues to go even further west, and maybe avoids most of Florida?

Hope it just veers off into the Atlantic, but the trajectory right now looks dead set to slam right through the state.

Last edited by ChickenBeckerman on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

If it does that it would pick up momentum from the warm water and just hammer somewhere else. The gold coast of Mississippi, Alabama, and/or Louisiana. Or northern florida.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Yes to the first question, but probably no to the second. With the westward drift over the evening, it is possible that the eye will be over the Gulf as Irma moves north. As of right now, it looks like the eye will miss Miami. But that doesn't mean that the hurricane won't rip Florida to bits as it goes by.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I know there are some people that are hunkering down trying to weather thru the hurricane but that seems a bit crazy to me....considering that the winds can pick up large debris like snapped off trees, cars, metal poles, and even ships and toss them thru a wooden house.

believe it or not, there really are negatives about evacuating. I personally live about 15 miles inland, about half way up the peninsula....so I feel comfortable that the storm will not be strong enough to cause structural failures where I am located, nor do i have to be concerned with storm surge.

That being said, evacuations are problematic for several reasons....for one, where do you go? If you want to avoid the storm, you have to leave Florida, and I am not sure everyone realizes how big Florida is South to North....about 550 miles, and only 2 major highways to take that journey....that 10 hour ride can take 24 hours when millions are evacuating. Then when you consider that many gas stations on that path are running out of fuel, rest areas have lines up to an hour, it becomes a hellish drive. On top of that, once you leave, you do not always control when you can return.....barrier islands and other areas are usually blocked by authorities for anywhere from a day to a week after the storm passes.....which leaves your property as an easy target for looters that stayed behind.

As long as your on high ground, inland, and your structure was built to post Andrew building code.....it may be best to "hunker down".

Be safe anyway Man....good luck to you and yours!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Good. We were watching video of traffic leaving the keys yesterday, and it was backed up for miles while the other side of the highway was empty. We were wondering why they didn't have at least one lane on the other side going as well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
If Irma spares Florida and totally destroys one, just one well-known property in Palm Beach, then I will start believing there's a god.

never going to happen...that place has 3 feet thick concrete walls, and steel hurricane straps drilled all the way through the foundation down to the coral.....actually surprised the media has not began to try to put pressure on the location to become a shelter....because it is probably the safest place in South Florida.

Donald Trump Got $17 Million Insurance Payout for Damage Few Recall

Donald Trump said he received a $17 million insurance payment in 2005 for hurricane damage to Mar-a-Lago, his private club in Palm Beach, but The Associated Press found little evidence of such large-scale damage.

Two years after a series of storms, the real estate tycoon said he didn't know how much had been spent on repairs but acknowledged he pocketed some of the money. Trump transferred funds into his personal accounts, saying that under the terms of his policy, "you didn't have to reinvest it."

Damn!!! Donald may not know ish about running a country but he knows all the angles on how to bilk unsuspecting contractors, gimmick schools, meats, hotels, the IRS, insurance companies and likes.

I dislike him more and more on a daily basis but still have to give him credit.

DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME.

I'm not one of those people who sees someone continually rip people off and says, "Man, you gotta give him credit . . ." - quite the opposite. You should hate the guy who plays that game.

That's like saying, "You gotta give that Ted Bundy credit, he had that serial killer thing down!"

It was meant metaphorically a colloquialism.

Even metaphorically it doesn't work.

Does for me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJK37TxUwAAurbq.jpg

Good. We were watching video of traffic leaving the keys yesterday, and it was backed up for miles while the other side of the highway was empty. We were wondering why they didn't have at least one lane on the other side going as well.

This was a great idea. I wonder if it was haphazard or in evacuation plans?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: