What has been the peak of your Lakers experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's final game live at staples. The energy was electric. Felt like a playoff game without the stress. Then his effort at the end and the crowd going bonkers was crazy. I was at the final game of the Finals in 2000 when Kobe won his first championship and we had the riots in downtown. That didn't compare.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

When everyone in staples chanted "we want tacos"

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I have two.

1) 0.4 - I remembet where I was and who I was with.

2) When Kobe won his first championship as the #1 guy proving the doubters wrong that he could ever do that.
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Horry's Game winner vs. the Kings
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject:

2009 Finals had the most impact because I was able to attend all of the games in Orlando, and witness the Lakers win the NBA Finals.

......but as far as losing my mind....it was the Fisher 0.4 shot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
2009 Finals had the most impact because I was able to attend all of the games in Orlando, and witness the Lakers win the NBA Finals.

......but as far as losing my mind....it was the Fisher 0.4 shot.

Yeah, that 0.4 shot, was the only shot where complete strangers were hugging and high fiving. Haha.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Watching nearly every game Magic played in the 80's...
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

In person: game 7 against Portland of 2000 WCF, it was my first ever game at the then brand new Staples Center

On TV: of course game 7 of the 2010 Finals against the Celtics
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Nice to see so many got the right answer... Horry for the Win. My neighbor literally called my house because I yelled so loud they thought it was a home invasion.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

1980 NBA Championship game 6
KAJ had a serious ankle sprain halfway through game 5.
Magic started at Center in game 6, as a 20 year old ROOKIE. He played all 5 positions and scored 42 points, 15 boards, and 7 assists. Magic won the NBA finals MVP - as a rookie
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI

Last edited by P.K. on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Game 7 against the Celtics. I'm worried nothing will match that feeling again. The intensity was insane.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Magic in 80, the first win over Boston, the repeat, and the first Kobe and Shaq title after the drought are my Rushmore.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

There have been so many.

I got the cops called on me by my neighbors for screaming when we won the first of the 3peat. It was just an accumulation of all of the heartbreaking years since our last championship.

My sweetest memory is being a kid, laying in bed with my radio hearing Chick call the game as we won in 85.

DFish's 0.4 was the moment when I actually cried. That never happened to me before.

Kobe's hero shots against Ruben Patterson / Portland. That was sick.

Horry....for the win...that was another one that I will never forget, since I was actually there for that.

And finally, Kobe's last game. No way was I gonna miss that. As the clock wound down people were crying. Strangers were hugging and crying in the stands. It was a spiritual moment.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Lakers FINALLY winning a title again in '72 behind Wilt and Jerry West, after being turned back repeatedly for a decade by the Celtics.

Lakers finally beating the Celtics in an NBA finals, with Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Coop, Rambis and the rest of Showtime.

Game 7 with Kobe, Pau and company winning a heroic defensive war against the Celtics.

These are the 3 most unforgettable moments for me - almost impossible to rank. If I have to choose 1 I think the Showtime era win was the greatest moment of all.

I see somebody shares my sentiments exactly, and has been around long enough to have experienced some of the same stuff. I started watching the Lakers when they first came to L.A., even though I was just eight years old their first season here, and watched them struggle time and time again in the finals. My dad even took me to a downtown theater to see Game 7 in 1969, on closed-circuit TV, because back then home games just weren't televised.

So the victories in '72, even though that was over the Knicks, and then in '85, were huge. I had the pleasure of attending Finals games in '85 and also in 2010 against the Celts, and of course was at Staples for Game 5 (I sold my other ticket for a couple grand to some guy who flew out from Michigan), and they were both very sweet. But I would also rate Game 7 against the Sixers, in 1980, the famous Magic jumping center game, etc., as right there, and of course that was only the second L.A. Lakers title, so very sweet indeed, especially with Kareem out.

P.S., I was in the stands for Game 7 against Portland in 2000, and also for the Robert Horry shot. Hard to beat those, either.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Kookie Monster wrote:
Horry's game-winning three pointer against the Kings in the playoffs.

At the time, I lived in Culver City and was the only Laker fan living in a house full of Turkish exchange students, who all loved Hedo Turkoglu and the Kings. They were all talking smack to me the entire game...

Then at the end, Vlade swats the ball perfectly to Horry and Horry steps right into the shot for the buzzer beater.

I ran up and down the stairs at least 10 times screaming hysterically. That was the loudest I ever screamed at home watching a game.

Every time I came down to the bottom of the stairs, I would see all of my Turkish roommates just sitting there, like statues, in disbelief, eyes wide open, jaws dropped.

It was exhilarating, especially living in a house full of trash-talking Queens fans.

Same. I was at UC Berkeley at the time, living in an apartment just off campus and was watching the game with my roommates. I went nuts when Horry hit the shot and the neighbors actually called the cops because of all the noice we were making. Got a knock on the door about ten minutes after the shot and it was a couple of cops, asking if everything was alright in the apartment. Told them what happened, and they laughed and told us to keep it down a bit, the neighbors thought someone was having a screaming match inside.

Also up there: Kobe to Shaq alley oop, Artest hitting that three against the Celtics game seven, Kobe standing on the scorers' table, ball in hand, screaming in triumph after beating the Celtics, and, of course, Ron Artest's whole post game interview.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject:

I have so many.

85 finals over Boston
88 win over Detroit
Lakers sweeping Spurs in 01
Fisher .4 over Spurs in 04
Lakers win over Spurs in 08
Lakers winning in 09 and 10

But what I think stands out more. It may be insignificant to some but I always liked that game winner nick van exel did in the old Boston garden to close out the Celtics and the last game to ever play at the garden.

It gave a big (bleep) you to Boston
sugi942
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

1987 Finals, game 4, 5 seconds left, Magic's junior sky hook over Parish, McHale and Bird. A moment made more legendary by Chick's call.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

Peak would have to be the comeback vs Portland 2000. Everyone knew while Indiana was good that THAT was the nba finals.. and it had been 12 years since there was a title. In 88 I was a young kid by the time 12 pass you're different person, an adult. It was amazing. I know exactly which of my friends were watching with me, and how we all reacted after "the lob". Really cool.

Side note a close second was Boston 2010. I didn't realize how much 2008 bothered me until Boston took a 3-2 lead in 2010. I was like "not again". I was a nervous wreck for game 7. My friends and I usually "indulge" during games but my stomach was so nervous for that game I couldn't even drink haha. After the game I was still so pumped up I hardly slept. I was not a good employee the next day goes without saying
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Game 7 2010 hands down. Absolutely nothing like it. But kobe's farewell 60 piece had a similar vibe that I hadn't felt in a loooooong time.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

I think it was 2002, but one of my favorites was going to a home Lakers game vs the Mavs.

I will never forget seeing Shaq and Shawn Bradley standing next to each other when they were both on the court. Shaq, despite literally being 5 inches smaller in height, made Bradley look like he was 6'9 or 6'10. It was both hilarious and incredible seeing this up in close, in person like that. And I was lucky enough to have seats close to courtside to witness this.

Shaq's physical prime in person was really something.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

When the Lakers won the Summer League.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I'll go with 2 game 7s: Portland and Sacramento queens.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Robert Horry Game 4 was definitely my greatest laker moment by far. My god I thought the game, the series, and the back2back run was over. No way lakers win the series and the title being down 1-3 against that Kings team
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

I can't identify any one Laker period or Laker moment that stood above all others for me.

One of many simply had to be the 1972 season and its capture of the first championship in Los Angeles. I felt simply very happy for Jerry West.

The rookie season of Magic Johnson and the stunning playoff journey was probably the equal of any Laker experience I've had.

The defeat of Boston in the Finals in 1985 is right there too, coming as it did after two seasons of real disappointment ('83, '84).

There have been other great ones.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Since 2010? Sadly, that's probably accurate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: