View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I know there are some people that are hunkering down trying to weather thru the hurricane but that seems a bit crazy to me....considering that the winds can pick up large debris like snapped off trees, cars, metal poles, and even ships and toss them thru a wooden house.

believe it or not, there really are negatives about evacuating. I personally live about 15 miles inland, about half way up the peninsula....so I feel comfortable that the storm will not be strong enough to cause structural failures where I am located, nor do i have to be concerned with storm surge.

That being said, evacuations are problematic for several reasons....for one, where do you go? If you want to avoid the storm, you have to leave Florida, and I am not sure everyone realizes how big Florida is South to North....about 550 miles, and only 2 major highways to take that journey....that 10 hour ride can take 24 hours when millions are evacuating. Then when you consider that many gas stations on that path are running out of fuel, rest areas have lines up to an hour, it becomes a hellish drive. On top of that, once you leave, you do not always control when you can return.....barrier islands and other areas are usually blocked by authorities for anywhere from a day to a week after the storm passes.....which leaves your property as an easy target for looters that stayed behind.

As long as your on high ground, inland, and your structure was built to post Andrew building code.....it may be best to "hunker down".

Be safe anyway Man....good luck to you and yours!

thanks, the most recent track is a better forecast for me and my family

Last edited by adkindo on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Here's a picture of the I-95 in Florida yesterday late afternoon. They converted all lanes to go North Only:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJK37TxUwAAurbq.jpg

Good. We were watching video of traffic leaving the keys yesterday, and it was backed up for miles while the other side of the highway was empty. We were wondering why they didn't have at least one lane on the other side going as well.

think it was because they were still trying to truck fuel and supplies into the state.....seems like it is usually all or nothing when they contraflow the traffic.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
seems like it is usually all or nothing when they contraflow the traffic.

Unless the infrastructure exists to move a highway lane's direction (think Golden Gate Bridge which has a full time system where the center divider is moved back and forth a couple of times a day to accommodate the change in traffic flow), it's a risky prospect and near logistical impossibility.

It's one thing to just shut everything down in one direction and block some on ramps. It's another to create access to two different directions of traffic on a road designed for one and then maintain a clear delineation of what lane should be going which direction - especially when drivers are under the duress of evacuation.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
seems like it is usually all or nothing when they contraflow the traffic.

Unless the infrastructure exists to move a highway lane's direction (think Golden Gate Bridge which has a full time system where the center divider is moved back and forth a couple of times a day to accommodate the change in traffic flow), it's a risky prospect and near logistical impossibility.

It's one thing to just shut everything down in one direction and block some on ramps. It's another to create access to two different directions of traffic on a road designed for one and then maintain a clear delineation of what lane should be going which direction - especially when drivers are under the duress of evacuation.

Analysis of Florida's One-Way Operations for Hurricane Evacuation

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I know there are some people that are hunkering down trying to weather thru the hurricane but that seems a bit crazy to me....considering that the winds can pick up large debris like snapped off trees, cars, metal poles, and even ships and toss them thru a wooden house.

believe it or not, there really are negatives about evacuating. I personally live about 15 miles inland, about half way up the peninsula....so I feel comfortable that the storm will not be strong enough to cause structural failures where I am located, nor do i have to be concerned with storm surge.

That being said, evacuations are problematic for several reasons....for one, where do you go? If you want to avoid the storm, you have to leave Florida, and I am not sure everyone realizes how big Florida is South to North....about 550 miles, and only 2 major highways to take that journey....that 10 hour ride can take 24 hours when millions are evacuating. Then when you consider that many gas stations on that path are running out of fuel, rest areas have lines up to an hour, it becomes a hellish drive. On top of that, once you leave, you do not always control when you can return.....barrier islands and other areas are usually blocked by authorities for anywhere from a day to a week after the storm passes.....which leaves your property as an easy target for looters that stayed behind.

As long as your on high ground, inland, and your structure was built to post Andrew building code.....it may be best to "hunker down".

Yeah the news keeps telling everyone to leave Florida, if my place was really prepared and in a good area I don't think I would leave either but it has to be beyond well prepared.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah the news keeps telling everyone to leave Florida, if my place was really prepared and in a good area I don't think I would leave either but it has to be beyond well prepared.

local news is reporting a large number of residents originally evacuated Miami-Dade and Broward County in SE Florida, and relocated to the Naples, Ft. Myers and Tampa area, and are now either trying or considering returning to SE Florida as it appears that area will now not be in the primary path of the storm.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Winds have weakened to 120 mph...Most experts expect it to make landfall as a Cat-3. Should be interesting to see if/how much the warm gulf waters strengthen it before it hits Florida.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

Looks like its going to be a direct hit on the Tampa Bay/St Petersburg area. Miami got lucky.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

It's early, but it looks to me as if the damage from Irma is going to be about a 7 on a scale of 10 (10 being what happened to some of the Caribbean islands). However, this article explains the underlying problems with Florida, which will come as no surprise to anyone who is familiar with the area. The situation could still get out of control.

Requiem for Florida, the Paradise That Should Never Have Been
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's early, but it looks to me as if the damage from Irma is going to be about a 7 on a scale of 10 (10 being what happened to some of the Caribbean islands). However, this article explains the underlying problems with Florida, which will come as no surprise to anyone who is familiar with the area. The situation could still get out of control.

Requiem for Florida, the Paradise That Should Never Have Been

I think that could account for a lot of regions of the USA. Weren't the heavily flooded regions in Houston floodplains? Nature doesn't screw around.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

Yes, but Florida is a more extreme situation. It's not just a matter of floodplains. A large portion of Florida is essentially man-made.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Yes, but Florida is a more extreme situation. It's not just a matter of floodplains. A large portion of Florida is essentially man-made.

New York and Washington DC were essentially drained swamplands as well....the difference is in Florida, nature takes it back in the form of hurricanes. And it also likes to play tricks in the form of sinkholes which show up every now and then.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Chicago, too. As you say, the hurricanes are the difference. Anyway, it looks to me like Irma is going to be bad, but a long way from the worst case scenario. That won't be much of a comfort for the displaced people.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

You can't make this stuff up.

Don't shoot at Irma
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Well maybe Irma can provide natural selection for some of those people...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Don't shoot at Irma

You're right, they should go down to the beach and shoot the storm surge.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Don't shoot at Irma

Only in Texas, maybe Florida.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Don't shoot at Irma

Wearing as much body armor as they can find.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Don't shoot at Irma

Wearing as much body armor as they can find.

The surf will not replace them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Electricity has been out for a couple hours....worst of storm is about two hours away from me....only expecting winds 90-100mph here.....neighbors next door car crushed by toppled oak.....dog is a nervous wreck
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Electricity has been out for a couple hours....worst of storm is about two hours away from me....only expecting winds 90-100mph here.....neighbors next door car crushed by toppled oak.....dog is a nervous wreck

Stay safe.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Stay safe.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Be safe, stay alive, and then we can get back to arguing about politics later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's early, but it looks to me as if the damage from Irma is going to be about a 7 on a scale of 10 (10 being what happened to some of the Caribbean islands).

Make that about a 6.5. I'm sure it was gut wrenching for the people who went through it, but compared to what could have happened, Florida dodged a bullet.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Stay safe.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: