College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
looking for Oklahoma to upset Ohio State tonight...

Oklahoma 31
Ohio State 16
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Pac-12 officiating is a complete disgrace. They hired this Coleman guy to clean it up but he's a joke. He defends a non-call that's a clear targeting, but calls a questionable one targeting. Expect some controversial games in the conference this season.

Business as usual.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

USC dominated the line of scrimmage tonight, and I can't remember the last time they were able to do that against Stanford. Probably during the height of the Carroll era. Really impressive win for them.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
looking for Oklahoma to upset Ohio State tonight...

Oklahoma 31
Ohio State 16

You called it at least people will focus on this and Baker Mayfield planting the Oklahoma Flag on OSU(which despite my disdain for Ohio State was rather uncalled for)'s field. Than Notre Dame losing a close one at home to Georgia (They kept it closer than I expected but still I was hoping for them to win)
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

My beloved SDSU Aztecs finally take a Pac 12 team on the road!

0-29 before this game vs. Pac 12 Teams on the road, now 1-29.

SDSU 30, Arizona State 20 -- FINAL
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

That's cool to hear, didn't know that!

I definitely follow SDSU basketball way than football, but I always try to catch a game or two (either in person or on TV) when I'm in SD visiting family for the holidays. Pumphrey and Hillman were definitely a treat to watch these last few years. Is the team supposed to be any good this year?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Todd Graham is definitely on that hot seat

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
My bye week Saturday so it was my one day to watch college fb. That Texas-Maryland game was fun to watch.

guessing Longhorn fans disagree

That game, plus UCLA-Texas A&M, overshadowed some of the other stunners, like Liberty beating Baylor. I'm having fun this week.

just curious, are you a Rice only fan, or do you have a Power 5 team you also support? I have a lot of friends and family that are Marshall alumni, and some of them are Marshall fans and only Marshall fans, while others may be Marshall fans but also support a team like Ohio State since they accept that it is not likely Marshall will be competing for a playoff spot.

No, not really. I occasionally hop on a bandwagon for or against a particular team, but Rice's history with the football powers has left a bad taste in my mouth toward those sanctimonious whores. The big schools broke up the Southwest Conference to chase money in the Big 12 (Baylor was included only because the governor of Texas at the time was a Baylor alum). We joined the WAC, and then BYU and Utah decided that they were too good for all the little schools. (The little schools refused to relinquish the WAC name, so BYU and Utah had to form the Mountain West). Eventually, we wound up in Conference USA, which constantly deals with schools that think they are too good for a mid major conference. Some of them bailed to form the American Athletic, which is a conference full of wannabe schools that think they are too good for the conference.

The whole thing is pathetic. Schools started running minor league football teams because it generated money, and the minor league football teams took control of the universities. They are all freaking jokes. I can enjoy watching the minor league football on Saturdays, but the best part is those pathetic promos put out by the participating universities touting their academics. Riiiiight. They're whores with hearts of gold. Uh huh.

The extent to which these schools are willing to sell out their values is just amazing. For me, the best example is Baylor. That is a university run by the Baptists. Look at what they've done to themselves chasing after the football money.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

I definitely follow SDSU basketball way than football, but I always try to catch a game or two (either in person or on TV) when I'm in SD visiting family for the holidays. Pumphrey and Hillman were definitely a treat to watch these last few years. Is the team supposed to be any good this year?

They lost a lot of guys from last year on offense, pretty much the entire offensive line but the new guys are actually higher level recruits than the guys they replaced.

Much like the basketball program when they hired Steve Fisher, we hit on an absolute gem in a coach with Rocky Long. He is a no nonsense tough guy, I dig him!

Stanford in San Diego next week will be a real test. Doubt we can beat such a great program, but Rocky has the team playing hard for sure.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Pac-12 officiating is a complete disgrace. They hired this Coleman guy to clean it up but he's a joke. He defends a non-call that's a clear targeting, but calls a questionable one targeting. Expect some controversial games in the conference this season.

Business as usual.

Watching him try to justify his double standard was laughable and annoying.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

I was really hoping that Nebraska would maybe be on an upward trajectory. Show some improvement. Then Oregon happened. Granted Oregon took their foot of the gas in the second half and made it look better than it was. Sad day.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
I was really hoping that Nebraska would maybe be on an upward trajectory. Show some improvement. Then Oregon happened. Granted Oregon took their foot of the gas in the second half and made it look better than it was. Sad day.

What has happened to Nebraska football? With their history and pedigree, they should always be a top 25 program at a minimum.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
My bye week Saturday so it was my one day to watch college fb. That Texas-Maryland game was fun to watch.

guessing Longhorn fans disagree

That game, plus UCLA-Texas A&M, overshadowed some of the other stunners, like Liberty beating Baylor. I'm having fun this week.

just curious, are you a Rice only fan, or do you have a Power 5 team you also support? I have a lot of friends and family that are Marshall alumni, and some of them are Marshall fans and only Marshall fans, while others may be Marshall fans but also support a team like Ohio State since they accept that it is not likely Marshall will be competing for a playoff spot.

No, not really. I occasionally hop on a bandwagon for or against a particular team, but Rice's history with the football powers has left a bad taste in my mouth toward those sanctimonious whores. The big schools broke up the Southwest Conference to chase money in the Big 12 (Baylor was included only because the governor of Texas at the time was a Baylor alum). We joined the WAC, and then BYU and Utah decided that they were too good for all the little schools. (The little schools refused to relinquish the WAC name, so BYU and Utah had to form the Mountain West). Eventually, we wound up in Conference USA, which constantly deals with schools that think they are too good for a mid major conference. Some of them bailed to form the American Athletic, which is a conference full of wannabe schools that think they are too good for the conference.

The whole thing is pathetic. Schools started running minor league football teams because it generated money, and the minor league football teams took control of the universities. They are all freaking jokes. I can enjoy watching the minor league football on Saturdays, but the best part is those pathetic promos put out by the participating universities touting their academics. Riiiiight. They're whores with hearts of gold. Uh huh.

The extent to which these schools are willing to sell out their values is just amazing. For me, the best example is Baylor. That is a university run by the Baptists. Look at what they've done to themselves chasing after the football money.

I have hated every bit of conference realignment....my school got picked up by Big 12, but I miss the Big East days and rivalries.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:

What has happened to Nebraska football? With their history and pedigree, they should always be a top 25 program at a minimum.

Everyone knows college football is dominated by coaches who also does the recruiting. Good coaches can setup a program for success, while bad coaching can mire a program in mediocrity. Coaches in college football are like superstars in the NBA. They can change the landscape of the sport depending on where they go.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:

Everyone knows college football is dominated by coaches who also does the recruiting. Good coaches can setup a program for success, while bad coaching can mire a program in mediocrity. Coaches in college football are like superstars in the NBA. They can change the landscape of the sport depending on where they go.

Adkindo..we lost our identity and are recruiting the same type of players Alabama, USC, UCLA and so basically every other college wants. We can't compete with them in terms of weather and location or coaching that we are no longer getting the top tier player for our scheme. Couple that with our last head coach who really hated recruiting. Riley seems to like recruiting, and by all accounts is a great guy, I'm just not sure how great of a coach he is. So we are getting B+ players to our system and maybe B level coaching. It's going to keep us around 30ish in the polls. We either need a homerun hire as coach (saban, meyer) or we need to go back to having that unique offense and bringing in top talent for that style. Lastly, we have lost the ability to get the homegrown kids that fit our system and will basically die for the Huskers. In Tom's era, we always had 10+ kids from the area that grew up wanting to be Huskers and would do anything to play. Now we have 4-5 and that passion for the history just isn't there. We are basically another version of Iowa, and there's nothing that makes us special anymore.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

Yep, Nebraska got lost when it tried to become a generic national program. Bill Callahan was a mistake. Switching to the Big 10 may have been a good move for other reasons, but it instantly separated Nebraska from much of its history. I wouldn't write off Nebraska as a national power just yet. Right now, though, Nebraska seems to be in a weird place.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Wait... Is that true? Even during the great Marshall Faulk years? That surprises me. I miss Rocky Long as the defensive coordinator with his aggressive 3-3-5 style. I remember when he spoke at a pre-game event and just stated that everyone knows that they're coming after the opponent on every snap and those guys won't know from where or how to stop it. Everyone was so hyped up after that speech.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yep, Nebraska got lost when it tried to become a generic national program. Bill Callahan was a mistake. Switching to the Big 10 may have been a good move for other reasons, but it instantly separated Nebraska from much of its history. I wouldn't write off Nebraska as a national power just yet. Right now, though, Nebraska seems to be in a weird place.

still feels like there is one more major shakeup in the landscape to come....likely the Big 12 being broken up, Texas going to PAC12, Oklahoma and OK State going to the SEC, WVU likely going to the ACC, Kansas going to the Big10, BYU into the PAC12, Notre Dame in either ACC or Big10, etc.....Four 16 Team Super Conferences. The American would likely take in a couple teams left out.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
still feels like there is one more major shakeup in the landscape to come....likely the Big 12 being broken up, Texas going to PAC12, Oklahoma and OK State going to the SEC, WVU likely going to the ACC, Kansas going to the Big10, BYU into the PAC12, Notre Dame in either ACC or Big10, etc.....Four 16 Team Super Conferences. The American would likely take in a couple teams left out.

Yes, it's all setting up nicely for a nasty antitrust lawsuit. In the long run, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the market forces drive further consolidation via the formation of a super-conference consisting of the biggest of the big. There are any number of schools, from Vanderbilt and Northwestern to Mississippi and Illinois, that could end up getting kicked off the island.

I know some people think this will never happen. Yeah right. When I was a kid, Rice was still a contender in the Southwest Conference, and Army and Navy were national powers from time to time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yes, it's all setting up nicely for a nasty antitrust lawsuit. In the long run, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the market forces drive further consolidation via the formation of a super-conference consisting of the biggest of the big. There are any number of schools, from Vanderbilt and Northwestern to Mississippi and Illinois, that could end up getting kicked off the island.

I know some people think this will never happen. Yeah right. When I was a kid, Rice was still a contender in the Southwest Conference, and Army and Navy were national powers from time to time.

Northwestern seems to be on the rise in basketball, and its football program is decent. And haven't they improved the facilities there? It's a big school (enrollment wise) and it's in (or near) Chicago. I think they'll be OK, but I guess I could be wrong.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Northwestern seems to be on the rise in basketball, and its football program is decent. And haven't they improved the facilities there? It's a big school (enrollment wise) and it's in (or near) Chicago. I think they'll be OK, but I guess I could be wrong.

If that was a criteria, Boise State and Houston would be in power conferences. This is about money, not artistic merit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

not calling for an upset, but USC better be prepared for Texas this weekend....during the last few years, Texas has been mediocre, but each season knocks off high ranked opponents that they were heavy underdogs going into the game. Last year#10 Notre Dame and #8 Baylor and in 2015 it was #10 Oklahoma and #12 Baylor. They have not been good, but always talented!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

If that was a criteria, Boise State and Houston would be in power conferences. This is about money, not artistic merit.

Well Boise certainly isn't Chicago, but Houston is certainly a big city. Northwestern is already in a big city and already in a big conference. We'll see what happens.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Well Boise certainly isn't Chicago, but Houston is certainly a big city. Northwestern is already in a big city and already in a big conference. We'll see what happens.

and Northwestern has a crap load support in high places....very influential alumni, and their "J School" alumni are heavily embedded within the biggest sports media outlets in the country. I think Northwestern is fairly safe in the Big 10.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

and Northwestern has a crap load support in high places....very influential alumni, and their "J School" alumni are heavily embedded within the biggest sports media outlets in the country. I think Northwestern is fairly safe in the Big 10.

I was going to mention the media angle. I agree with this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 15 of 77
Jump to: