The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1081, 1082, 1083 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
They may, just as the Lakers may.

I would argue that Embiid/Covington are far more "core" pieces than Deng/JC/Jules.

Embiid sure, just as Randle is one of our core pieces. JC and Covington less so.

I think you seriously underestimate how valuable the 76ers view Covington. If you look at the advanced analytics he is up there in terms of 3/D forwards. I would argue he is the #2 priority behind re-signing Embiid.

Interesting then that there are reports that they are debating whether to re-sign him or use that cap space for a FA. You could be right, but there are other reports out there. Reportedly the #1 priority is chasing a star FA or two.

I work near the Philly market so I'm pretty up to speed on the 76ers. They really like Covington and consider him a building block, and rightfully so. He's a pretty good prototypical 3/D player who can cover multiple positions.

I think they may be able to carve out 25-27m in actual cap space once Embiid (huge cap hold BTW) and Covington are taken care of, which is not even enough for 1 max player.

They are around $60 mil guaranteed with Embiid's $18.5 cap hold. They set up some of their contracts nicely. I would not pick up the options on Okafor and Anderson and not extend the QO to Stauskas. They have some decisions to make.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would argue that Embiid/Covington are far more "core" pieces than Deng/JC/Jules.

Embiid sure, just as Randle is one of our core pieces. JC and Covington less so.

I think you seriously underestimate how valuable the 76ers view Covington. If you look at the advanced analytics he is up there in terms of 3/D forwards. I would argue he is the #2 priority behind re-signing Embiid.

Interesting then that there are reports that they are debating whether to re-sign him or use that cap space for a FA. You could be right, but there are other reports out there. Reportedly the #1 priority is chasing a star FA or two.

I work near the Philly market so I'm pretty up to speed on the 76ers. They really like Covington and consider him a building block, and rightfully so. He's a pretty good prototypical 3/D player who can cover multiple positions.

I think they may be able to carve out 25-27m in actual cap space once Embiid (huge cap hold BTW) and Covington are taken care of, which is not even enough for 1 max player.

They are around $60 mil guaranteed with Embiid's $18.5 cap hold. They set up some of their contracts nicely. I would not pick up the options on Okafor and Anderson and not extend the QO to Stauskas. They have some decisions to make.

I don't think they're going to pass on Embiid and/or Covington to do a fool's errand to chase LBJ. I think they will target sensible players like Avery Bradley (perfect 3/D guard for them).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

I doubt that they have a shot at Lebron. But they don't have to pass on Covington and Embiid, just sign FAs before re-signing them. Their combined cap holds are a little over $20 mil.

But as I mentioned, it will be interesting to see what they do with guys like Okafor, Anderson and Stauskas. In my opinion they aren't worth their contracts.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I doubt that they have a shot at Lebron. But they don't have to pass on Covington and Embiid, just sign FAs before re-signing them. Their combined cap holds are a little over $20 mil.

But as I mentioned, it will be interesting to see what they do with guys like Okafor, Anderson and Stauskas. In my opinion they aren't worth their contracts.

It's sort of a fool's errand IMO for them to do that while passing up more realistic options (and frankly better fits) like Avery Bradley, even KCP. They will fit in their budget AND they can re-sign the guys they need to re-sign. They may be able to get several quality FAs.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

this thread has gone to hell with the 2018 FA stuff. Can we even get to preseason before this speculation infects every single thread in the lounge? Sheesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

NBA needs to start in August.

Hoops junkies like us need it.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
this thread has gone to hell with the 2018 FA stuff. Can we even get to preseason before this speculation infects every single thread in the lounge? Sheesh.

That is what offseason is all about, speculation.

Speculation about how a player will come back another version of himself, how a rookie is going to play, what free agents we can sign ... preseason can't start soon enough
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
Quick question: So if today,

the Chicago Bulls offered Wade, Bobby Portis for Randle, Deng and 2020 1st round pick do you do it? Throw in one of the second round picks they gave us last year (Calderon trade)

I think you have to. Sorry to lose Ju but Portis is a decent player and Wade would be a big addition. Move Nance to the starting 5 and hope for the best.

Clearling all that cap space would the hugeeeeee.

I just don't see why Chicago would encumber itself with 30m+ on Deng/Jules going forward (once Jules is extended).

If you're Chicago, chances are you are not in the market for big name free agents within the next 2-3 years. So rather than lose money on Wade AND lose him for nothing, here is a chance to add a young player with solid upside as well as 2 future picks: 1st rounder and 2nd rounder that was lost a year ago (Calderon trade).

If the Bulls tank this year and were able to draft say Michael Porter, this is how they look going forward (Hypothetical):

Dunn, Lavine, Porter, Randle, Markennen... not a shabby future IMO. The flipside is pay Wade $20m to walk.

Deng's contract is not a problem for them given the amount of cap space they would have going forward.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't think they're going to pass on Embiid and/or Covington to do a fool's errand to chase LBJ. I think they will target sensible players like Avery Bradley (perfect 3/D guard for them).

Why is it suddenly a fools errand if THEY do it for the chance at Paul George and LeBron James?

venturalakersfan wrote:

This.Besides, if we're supposed to have a shot, why does Philly not? Still in the East, can keep Embiid could literally go and get Paul George and LeBron James too.. LeBron doesn't leave his cozy spot in the East where all they have to do is make the finals. He'd get a starting lineup of

PG: Ben Simmons(whom is now 6'11)
SG: Markelle Fultz
SF: Paul George
PF: LeBron James
C: Joel Embiid

I somehow get the feeling that if you're in LeBron's shoes that looks like a pretty sweet deal. It's really upon whether or not Embiid is able to play the majority of next year. If he does then they are a real contender for LeBron.

If we're gonna go by this logic that LeBron would have to join with Paul George and THEN would want to team up with Lonzo and Ingram..

Then we can use the exact same logic and say that LeBron and Paul George could also team up with Simmons and Fultz.. aaand Embiid.

So yes, Philly would be in contention for LeBron if going by the same logic that fans see them wanting to come here based upon. I don't know why suddenly Philly would be making a 'fools errand' or why they 'won't be in the conversation' for LeBron other than "Well who wants to play in Philly?!!? We're the Lakers and in LA!!!" which is ... again.. the "we're the Lakers" mentality that's done us no good for quite some time as far as analyzing Free Agency possibilities and probabilities.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

You sound like someone who hasn't lived in Philly. (I have and grew up in LA).
You continuously discount the location and opportunities that LBJ and PG13 may desire. Superteams don't seem to form in cities like milwaukee and Philly. La and Miami? Sure.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lol at the sixers setting up contracts nicely for having a team full of draft picks on kid contracts or at worse the next contract after you got your rookie deal. non are stars, non are borderline stars. so how hard could it be to have these guys on nice deals?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
You continuously discount the location and opportunities that LBJ and PG13 may desire. Superteams don't seem to form in cities like milwaukee and Philly. La and Miami? Sure.

The opportunity thing might have made sense in the 90's. We are seeing players from small markets getting opportunities. Lebron sold a show to NBC from Cleveland. Now I agree that a super team isn't likely to form in Philly anytime soon (not until guys like Fultz and Simmons show out, then it very well might). But opportunities are everywhere.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The opportunity thing might have made sense in the 90's. We are seeing players from small markets getting opportunities. Lebron sold a show to NBC from Cleveland. Now I agree that a super team isn't likely to form in Philly anytime soon (not until guys like Fultz and Simmons show out, then it very well might). But opportunities are everywhere.

Don't underestimate our brand, Lakers is a franchise with a world wide fan base. When we have a good team we play "home games" in most arenas, there is just no comparison.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Alright so it's another "We're the Lakers and in LA" thing. Got it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lol at the sixers setting up contracts nicely for having a team full of draft picks on kid contracts or at worse the next contract after you got your rookie deal. non are stars, non are borderline stars. so how hard could it be to have these guys on nice deals?

Simmons, Fultz and Embiid ALL have star to superstar potential written all over them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Alright so it's another "We're the Lakers and in LA" thing. Got it.

This time yes. I actually believe we are getting 2 max level players. And I was initially a critic of this plan when the new FO took over.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Don't underestimate our brand, Lakers is a franchise with a world wide fan base. When we have a good team we play "home games" in most arenas, there is just no comparison.

We are, and Lebron has his own world wide brand. He will be a billionaire wherever he plays. But not the same for PG, he has Gatorade and that is all I am aware of. That might improve next to Westbrook.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

Juilius Randle will need a big year. I doubt he returns to the Lakers but there is an outside chance of that happening. Trading Clarkson and Deng while getting 0 back in salary doesn't seem likely.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Juilius Randle will need a big year. I doubt he returns to the Lakers but there is an outside chance of that happening. Trading Clarkson and Deng while getting 0 back in salary doesn't seem likely.

While my hope for Randle is that he improves enough to land us a pick at the trade deadline, I would be happy if Deng shows himself a serviceable veteran that we can trade for some terrible player under a shorter deal that would not hurt us so badly if stretched as Deng.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

While my hope for Randle is that he improves enough to land us a pick at the trade deadline, .

Right "play so good we trade you."

If Randle played so good that people were offering us a first round pick that means he's headed in the direction of being someone worth sticking around.

Seriously, it's like "if he plays bad, get rid of him." but "if he plays so well his value skyrockets.. trade him too!!"

It's like some Lakers fans, no offense, have forgotten what you're supposed to do with the talent you developed, or even what the point was of drafting them, it wasn't to clear cap for a non guaranteed max free agent to show up to a team that's still 3-4 seasons away. It's so that you have dibs on them and you hope you developed them to the point of eventually BECOMING one of those max players.

But if you keep getting rid of them to chase unguaranteed players, then by the time those players are 30 and the Warriors are finally relinquishing their hold on the top of the NBA, our kids are gonna be entering their primes at 24-27... on other teams. Then guess where we'll be for another 4 seasons?

Eventually you have to bite down and say "we're gonna roll with these kids as our future and see how they've developed in 4 seasons of playtime." instead of going "I hope Randle comes out and averages 19/10/5 that way we can trade him to clear cap!!!!" -_-

How about "I hope Randle comes out and averages 19/10/5 so that he can become a focal point of our future and be one of the guys we pay to extend, thus lessening the sting if we don't land any big time free agents and still keeping us with a future to continue to build upon."
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

I like Randles attitude.
And I believe he's improved his game each year.
If Randle plays well this year, the Lakers will have some tough decisions to make.

I want him to play well, and will trust the FO to make the right choice.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
nash wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

While my hope for Randle is that he improves enough to land us a pick at the trade deadline, .

Right "play so good we trade you."

If Randle played so good that people were offering us a first round pick that means he's headed in the direction of being someone worth sticking around.

Seriously, it's like "if he plays bad, get rid of him." but "if he plays so well his value skyrockets.. trade him too!!"

It's like some Lakers fans, no offense, have forgotten what you're supposed to do with the talent you developed, or even what the point was of drafting them, it wasn't to clear cap for a non guaranteed max free agent to show up to a team that's still 3-4 seasons away. It's so that you have dibs on them and you hope you developed them to the point of eventually BECOMING one of those max players.

But if you keep getting rid of them to chase unguaranteed players, then by the time those players are 30 and the Warriors are finally relinquishing their hold on the top of the NBA, our kids are gonna be entering their primes at 24-27... on other teams. Then guess where we'll be for another 4 seasons?

Eventually you have to bite down and say "we're gonna roll with these kids as our future and see how they've developed in 4 seasons of playtime." instead of going "I hope Randle comes out and averages 19/10/5 that way we can trade him to clear cap!!!!" -_-

How about "I hope Randle comes out and averages 19/10/5 so that he can become a focal point of our future and be one of the guys we pay to extend, thus lessening the sting if we don't land any big time free agents and still keeping us with a future to continue to build upon."

That is not the way I think about Julius situation, I'd love to keep him if he can improve enough to post stats like KAT, Embiid and Jokic, the kind of talent you want to keep over PG13. I just think the chances are slim.

My realistic hope is that he improves enough to land us a pick despite his contract situation something I don't believe he is able to do without a solid improvement.

If he doesn't improve a lot playing solid defense, an above average TS% and somewhat average shooting finishing the season again with a BPM 2 points bellow a role player we have at the same position I don't believe we can realistically get anything in return for him and considering our cap situation we are going to lose another high lottery pick for nothing, the worst case scenario IMO.

I just hope he improves at least enough to help us to get something in return for him earning himself a good contract, but if he turns himself into a first tier prospect I'm all in for keeping Julius.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

I don't have any idea where you get the idea it is Randle vs PG. Totally off base. We can have both.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don't have any idea where you get the idea it is Randle vs PG. Totally off base. We can have both.

Pelinka and Magic were adamant about the two superstars plan. We can have both, but it is not what we are trying to do.

I've never heard about Cousins as a possibility outside LakersGround.

LeBron is a huge brand by himself, is not happy where he is and is possibly the best player of his generation and arguably one of the best of all time, he is a major home run that no GM would miss the opportunity to sign.

There is not much talk about Westbrook, but it was reported that LeBron would like to play with him, he is the MVP and I just don't see us passing the opportunity to sign him if he is willing to play here.

Paul George is a legit all star, but not a generational player. I find it almost impossible for Julius to improve to the point he is going to be better than Paul George, but expecting him to outplay LeBron/Westbrook is kinda insane, something completely out of question while turning into a second tier all star is more plausible.

You may believe we are going to keep an improved Randle and I don't want to hurt your feelings about that, but before we can move Deng and Clarkson contracts without taking anything in return or Magic/Pelinka telling the plan is not signing two superstar anymore I consider him 90% gone. 5% is the chance he becomes a better player than one of the stars available this offseason and 5% is the chance players like LeBron and Paul George would be willing to take considerable pay cuts to play with Julius Randle.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

So all we have to do is move Deng and Clarkson while getting nothing in return? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Unless Ball or Ingram is attached that isn't happening. Pelinka and Magic can want to sign two max players, but they still have to abide by the CBA. Enjoy the fantasy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1081, 1082, 1083 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1082 of 1536
Jump to: