We Remember

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: We Remember

Thoughts with all the friends and families:

Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Awesome thread!!

Peace and comfort to all those families affected.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Was not an LG member back then, but I remember going online and all the major websites like CNN, Yahoo, all crashed or were heavily trafficked and slow to load. Unfortunately, turned on the TV to see the 2nd plane hit the tower and the resulting collapses. Such a surreal day, even 16 years later.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

How could anyone who lived through that ever forget. I was on the only US Air Force base that doesn't have fighter jets that morning.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

I was a sophomore in high school. I remember my mom waking me up to tell me that a plane had crashed in New York and me being annoyed that she woke me up before my alarm went off. I got up, showered and threw on the TV while I was getting ready for school. Once I turned the TV on, it started to sink in how big of a deal this was. It was all we talked about it in every class. What I also remember very distinctly was not being able to find ANYTHING on TV other than live coverage of the attacks for days. Even on the cable channels. I had never seen anything like that and still have not 16 years later.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

This is long, but worth the time.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/were-the-only-plane-in-the-sky-214230
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

The scariest part of 9/11 for me nowadays is that fact I know kids in college who don't really have a frame of reference for that day. Its just kind of a strange thing to encounter.

!...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Saw a show about 9/10/01, a collage of images, pics, video etc from the last week to the last day of existence. Saddening. The interiors of those buildings even seemed to dwarf the exterior scale. They were beautiful, ornate, artistic structures from carpets to ceilings. Works of art of a scale that serves as a testament to mankind's ability to construct. Taken down by a bunch of dirty rats. It's disgusting 16 years later. I usually don't watch the planes and towers vids but once a year around this time. Makes me also loathe the government's real unwillingness to protect its citizens until after the calamit(ies) happen. Ignored warnings and such. Clinton had many opportunities to bomb him, but there was always some sensitive nature about each mission plan like a nearby mosque, etc. Even after 9/11, the Dubya Admin gave up on finding him. George saying UBL doesn't really concern me. Obama didn't get the due credit he deserved for tackling the Usama problem in Week 1. He set the gears in motion to track him down. I just feel like Trey, I dunno. Either him or Private Pyle. We ARE in a world of unh.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

THE FALLING MAN
An unforgettable story.

An interesting discussion of one the days most iconic images.

On another note. I was reminded today at work of something that happened several years ago. I had just started working on a Dick Wolf show (the man behind Law and Order) and I saw a collection of framed first pages of scripts. They were for a limited 6 episode mini-series. What caught my eye was the date on the latest version of of one of the scripts . . . Sept. 10, 2001. So I looked at the title of the mini-series, It was "Terror", and on further inquiry I found out it was to be about a terrorist attack on New York and it's aftermath. But for obvious reason the project was instantaneously killed. It was one of those moments in life when I thought, "this is fascinatingly weird".

I've been through a lot of those "remember where you were when . . ." days. 9/11 is one of those ones that seems to keep finding new ways to remind me of it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

I had a family member who worked at Cantor Fitzgerald after the 9/11 attacks.

When we visited her at the new Cantor Fitzgerald office on a trip to New York, the entire office had photos of the Cantor employees who had died that day on the walls.

I was moved and taken aback by the youth of most of those who died and seeing their faces like that really shook me.

Never forget.

Last edited by LakerLanny on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

I lived in DC and could see the plumes of smoke coming from the Pentagon. Was at work when I heard the BREAKING NEWS of an explosion in NYC just before 9am. When we realized what was going on, we decided to evacuate DC. I step outside, tried calling people but there was no signal to be had. The streets were pandemonium. People running around trying to get out. I walked several miles to the house of a coworker who was hosting us. By the time I got there, the towers had fallen.

After a few hours there, I walked back into the city. I have never seen DC that empty. A few cops here and there, but nary any other soul. The metro was not running across the bridge due to safety concerns.

The next day, the metro did run across the bridge. Coming out of the tunnel, we always pass the Pentagon. Without missing a beat, everyone, and I mean everyone, turned to look at the building. We could see the damage there, still in a haze as to what had happened.

That same day, later, I walked to the Pentagon to see the damage. We couldn't get any closer. I do remember speaking with a friend who lived right down the road. She was home that day, and she saw the plane fly directly over her. She wondered why it was so low. She was facing away from the Pentagon, but she felt the impact a mile or two away. If her apartment had been facing the other direction, she would have seen the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

there's a comic (don't know how to post it) depicting a group of FDNY in full gears on heaven's gate and the caption wrote 'we've reach the top floor fellas'

like a punch in the stomach everytime. God bless those heroes and God bless the USA
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
God bless those heroes and God bless the USA

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

Was in NJ watching the news when the first plane hit the tower. It really looked like a plane off course. When the second one hit I thought, whoa, this is not a accident. Then I heard the sound of jets overhead. I thought they were going to kamikaze neighborhoods. Went outside to see what was happening. Sky was full of jet fighters. It was really scary.

Condolences to all affected.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
The scariest part of 9/11 for me nowadays is that fact I know kids in college who don't really have a frame of reference for that day. Its just kind of a strange thing to encounter.

Yeah very serial that we lived through it, but is now history for those who were born after the attack.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
THE FALLING MAN
An unforgettable story.

An interesting discussion of one the days most iconic images.

I saw some of the carnage pics of the poor souls who had to jump merely to escape the heat and fire. Imagine the inside being so bad that some wanted to leap out of there to at least maybe die in a way of their choosing. That's all they had left that they could control. What a pitiful thing. It'll never not be saddening to me to see that imagery. I think of those people. There were only a few pics online that had background that proved they were from 9/11 instead of something else. I saw one pic of some exterior sidewalk and steps that had internal organs just laying there haphazardly. In other words, piece of a liver, piece of somethin else, blood. So many people fell to their deaths that body parts littered the ground. From that height, you can imagine the carnage that emergency crews saw before the towers fell. There was a pic of a severed and shredded wrist/hand with the wristwatch still on it. When you see that, it occurs to you that that hand was attached to a man who went to work just a few hours before. The imagery of that day is nothing short of surreal. It'll never NOT be hard to fathom that all that actually happened.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I had dinner with my family in the Windows on the World Restaurant about 5 years before the towers fell.

I am normally a pretty calm customer and don't take a lot of photos like a gawking tourist, but in that restaurant I did. I couldn't get enough of looking out the windows and down, you could not see the street below because the building was too tall.

It was surreal to be that high in the air, right at a window eating in a restaurant....those buildings were really, really tall and in hindsight in the savage modern world probably too tall. Even a normal fire could have been a nightmare in buildings that tall.

To think that scores of people actually were forced by smoke and flames to leap from that height is sobering to say the least.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: